OSJ was "closed" March 6th

schmoopie17

After nine months of cruise planning and agonizing over every detail of what to do in OSJ on disembarkment day, we ended up being hugely disappointed. We had a 4:00 flight home on Sunday, March 6th so we finally settled on going to Barrachinas' to drop our luggage, tour the town and then return for a pina colada before heading to the airport. After getting into the cab and telling the driver we wanted to go to Barrachina's he said, "It's closed". I thought he meant they didn't open until 11:00, so I said, I know they open later but we just want to drop our luggage and they're open earlier for that". He then said "Old San Juan is closed. People are walking in the streets". We never did find out exactly what that meant, but apparently all roads into and out of OSJ were closed at that time. So, instead of leisurely seeing the sites and sipping on pina coladas, we spent an enjoyable six hours at the airport.

By the way, do NOT go to the wings/sports bar place at the airport. Worst service ever (apparently they figure you'll never come back so our waitress made no effort) and the food wasn't that great either. Other than that, we really enjoyed our day...:rolleyes:

After nine months of cruise planning and agonizing over every detail of what to do in OSJ on disembarkment day, we ended up being hugely disappointed. We had a 4:00 flight home on Sunday, March 6th so we finally settled on going to Barrachinas' to drop our luggage, tour the town and then return for a pina colada before heading to the airport. After getting into the cab and telling the driver we wanted to go to Barrachina's he said, "It's closed". I thought he meant they didn't open until 11:00, so I said, I know they open later but we just want to drop our luggage and they're open earlier for that". He then said "Old San Juan is closed. People are walking in the streets". We never did find out exactly what that meant, but apparently all roads into and out of OSJ were closed at that time. So, instead of leisurely seeing the sites and sipping on pina coladas, we spent an enjoyable six hours at the airport.

It was a big day in OSJ that day. They have been working on making OSJ more of a pedestrian/public transportation place. They kind of did a test, and closed some of the roads into OSJ, but as far as I know, only on the north side. I assume he just wasn't interested in dealing with the traffic on the south side.

it was only one side of the historic district, they are planing to make the district a walkable district (once again!) with only a few roads open to cars.

all the roads leading to the historic district were open. I guess the taxi driver was too lazy and did not want to face the traffic jam. i also find that the taxi driver did not tell you guys other options like Isla Verde or Piñones, too bad.

i also find that the taxi driver did not tell you guys other options like Isla Verde or Piñones, too bad.

He did mention going to Isla Verde but we stayed in that area pre-cruise and didn't need to go back again. Although, it probably would have beat staying at the airport.

Hey Gary - how are you and Jane??? Loved your write up on the trip...I, too was looking forward to that chicken and was disappointed.

I have some pics from the river tubing (cute one of Jane) and lost the paper with all the email addresses. Need to get them to you somehow. Did you get any pics from Skip/Carol?

Also, word on OSJ on 3/6 was that they had 2 marathons and the roads were blocked off. Our cab driver did a great job of getting us to the Caribe Hilton despite the baricades.

Laura (and Dick)

Hey Gary - how are you and Jane??? Loved your write up on the trip...I, too was looking forward to that chicken and was disappointed.

I have some pics from the river tubing (cute one of Jane) and lost the paper with all the email addresses. Need to get them to you somehow. Did you get any pics from Skip/Carol?

Also, word on OSJ on 3/6 was that they had 2 marathons and the roads were blocked off. Our cab driver did a great job of getting us to the Caribe Hilton despite the baricades.

Laura (and Dick)

Hey, Laura (and Dick):

Great to hear from you. Jane might have everyone's e-mail addresses, I'll check with her tonight.

Yeah, it was a huge disappointment when OSJ was closed. We were looking for one last bit of fun before heading home. We were all set for an original pina colada at Barrachina's, but instead ended up just drinking a couple of Medalla beers at the airport. Not quite the same. It also rained for the two hours we were supposed to go to Magen's Bay, so our beach day got washed away. Oh well, can't win them all. Talk to you soon...

Do they celebrate Mardi Gras? Maybe, that is why everything was closed.

Bella

No. We don't celebrate Mardi Gras.

Some roads were closed to vehicular traffic because they were testing/starting people getting used to OSJ being a pedestrian town.

Some roads were closed to vehicular traffic because they were testing/starting people getting used to OSJ being a pedestrian town.

Sure would have been nice if they would have given some advance notice so we could have been forewarned, instead of finding out from the taxi driver.

Do you know if they have any other plans to do anything like this in the near future? We're coming down next month for 4 days pre-and 3 days post-cruise and staying in OSJ proper.

Do you know if they have any other plans to do anything like this in the near future? We're coming down next month for 4 days pre-and 3 days post-cruise and staying in OSJ proper.

Not that I know of. Locals only got a few days notice also. It was the first time (other than some closings for huge events - like San Sebastian Fest). I don;t think it is something that will happen again for a while.

there are plans to make the historic district into a pedestrian zone like it used to be decades ago, similar to cities like Barcelona. We do not know the exact date but i guess it will be sometime before fall of 2012

Sure would have been nice if they would have given some advance notice so we could have been forewarned, instead of finding out from the taxi driver.

I don't know if the cruise ships were advised of this, but it would have been the ship's responsibility to tell their customers.

I agree with the other posters that your cab driver just did not do enough for you, not the city's responsibility. After all, the whole idea of a vehicle-free city is to make it more enjoyable to the visitors.

If your cabbie had dropped you a few blocks away, you would have had a better experience.

I don't know if the cruise ships were advised of this, but it would have been the ship's responsibility to tell their customers.

I agree with the other posters that your cab driver just did not do enough for you, not the city's responsibility. After all, the whole idea of a vehicle-free city is to make it more enjoyable to the visitors.

If your cabbie had dropped you a few blocks away, you would have had a better experience.

I don't see how RCCL should be held accountable. So, let's assume they would have made an announcement prior to disembarking that OSJ was closed. Where would that have gotten us? We still wouldn't have been able to go (at least not with the cab driver we had). And even if he would have dropped us off "a few blocks away"...what were we supposed to do with our four bags? The plan was to be dropped at Barrachinas where we would check the bags. Maybe next time we need to get a better cab driver...or the city needs to provide more advance notice. Had we known, we would have stayed in OSJ pre-cruise, instead of planning to go after disembarking.

I don't see how RCCL should be held accountable. So, let's assume they would have made an announcement prior to disembarking that OSJ was closed. Where would that have gotten us? We still wouldn't have been able to go (at least not with the cab driver we had). And even if he would have dropped us off "a few blocks away"...what were we supposed to do with our four bags? The plan was to be dropped at Barrachinas where we would check the bags. Maybe next time we need to get a better cab driver...or the city needs to provide more advance notice. Had we known, we would have stayed in OSJ pre-cruise, instead of planning to go after disembarking.

I sent a copy of this post to the SJ municipality. Maybe it will help them for the next time they test the system.

But I think you are expecting too much. Let me ask you....how would you expect to learn about an upcoming traffic problem in a cruise port? How would they contact you with the info? Did you contact anyone in SJ (other than CC ) about the port conditions and possible traffic issues on the days you were in port? And let's say SJ can plan a few weeks or maybe a month in advance of these situations, how much advance notice would you expect?

How does your town contact future visitors when something is happening that will effect traffic patterns (like a parade on main street or something)?

You can contact SJ Municipality and let them know. http://www.sanjuan.pr/servicios/contactanos.aspx

I think, telling the cruise lines would be a fine idea. Had the ship announced the situation, you would have at least known it was possible to get where you wanted to go and gotten a driver who was willing to drive you there. The problem was the taxi driver. The roads were open, it was possible to get where you wanted to go, but your taxi driver was just unwilling to do it, so he said it was "closed".

I sent a copy of this post to the SJ municipality. Maybe it will help them for the next time they test the system.

But I think you are expecting too much. Let me ask you....how would you expect to learn about an upcoming traffic problem in a cruise port? How would they contact you with the info? Did you contact anyone in SJ (other than CC ) about the port conditions and possible traffic issues on the days you were in port? And let's say SJ can plan a few weeks or maybe a month in advance of these situations, how much advance notice would you expect?

How does your town contact future visitors when something is happening that will effect traffic patterns (like a parade on main street or something)?

You can contact SJ Municipality and let them know. http://www.sanjuan.pr/servicios/contactanos.aspx

I think, telling the cruise lines would be a fine idea. Had the ship announced the situation, you would have at least known it was possible to get where you wanted to go and gotten a driver who was willing to drive you there. The problem was the taxi driver. The roads were open, it was possible to get where you wanted to go, but your taxi driver was just unwilling to do it, so he said it was "closed".

Whatever...all I know is we missed out on a highly anticipated part of our vacation. Regardless of whose fault it is, it still sucks...and you can't tell me the city didn't know several days (if not weeks) in advance that they were planning to do this. It's not like this was an unexpected traffic accident that happened spontaneously. This was a PLANNED event. Had they publicized it in advance, as they should have, I'm sure several of the posters on CC would have posted that info on this board.

As for the cab driver, it's not like you can pick and choose who you get at the port...it's the luck of the draw. We just had the misfortune to draw a bad one. I suppose we should have screened him in advance, making him testify that he could actually get us to Barrachina's, rather than having him tell us that OSJ was closed after we already departed the port. :rolleyes:

I guess future travelers to San Juan should keep all of this in mind...

I'm sorry you missed out. We were there that day as well, and some of the drivers were saying "no way" but we found one who did get us into OSJ. We did leave the ship later so maybe that helped (we stayed overnite Sunday). Our driver had to do quite a bit of "back-street driving" but he did get us in. Apparently there was some sort of bicycle race going on as well.

Whatever...all I know is we missed out on a highly anticipated part of our vacation. Regardless of whose fault it is, it still sucks...and you can't tell me the city didn't know several days (if not weeks) in advance that they were planning to do this. It's not like this was an unexpected traffic accident that happened spontaneously. This was a PLANNED event. Had they publicized it in advance, as they should have, I'm sure several of the posters on CC would have posted that info on this board.

As for the cab driver, it's not like you can pick and choose who you get at the port...it's the luck of the draw. We just had the misfortune to draw a bad one. I suppose we should have screened him in advance, making him testify that he could actually get us to Barrachina's, rather than having him tell us that OSJ was closed after we already departed the port. :rolleyes:

I guess future travelers to San Juan should keep all of this in mind...

Whatever??? :rolleyes: ???

Please forgive me for trying to offer suggestions and not posting last week about the reduced traffic flow.

It is too bad you missed seeing OSJ.

Whatever??? :rolleyes: ???

Please forgive me for trying to offer suggestions and not posting last week about the reduced traffic flow.

It is too bad you missed seeing OSJ.

Rainforestgirl,

Nothing personal. I have read your many helpful and informative posts in the past. They are much appreciated. I'm just frustrated that we were unable to see OSJ after hearing so much about it and anticipating it for several months. It was definitely our loss...:(

??? The ship's responsbility? Do they also need to inform you in advance if there is going to be rain in a port of call? And I highly doubt the tourist board of San Juan sent out announcements to the cruise lines to let their departing passengers know...

We were there on March 6th too embarking on the victory, We walked all over the place everything was open, i guess the driver just meant he couldnt get to that part of town, too bad he didnt suggest another place to take your baggage. Its hard sometimes with the language barrier. Aloha restaurant right across the street from the carnival pier was taking and holding debarking passengers luggage for 3$ a bag.

We were there on March 6th too embarking on the victory, We walked all over the place everything was open, i guess the driver just meant he couldnt get to that part of town, too bad he didnt suggest another place to take your baggage. Its hard sometimes with the language barrier. Aloha restaurant right across the street from the carnival pier was taking and holding debarking passengers luggage for 3$ a bag.

Okay, but it's kind of hard to get to the Carnival pier, since it's located in OSJ if the driver is telling you there is no way to get into OSJ. We were coming from the Pan Am pier. By the way, there were a number of people who we ran into while enjoying our six hour airport visit who were told the same thing...which is why the airport was more crowded than usual that morning. Like they say, misery loves company...:(

Archived