Pre-Paid Gratuities: How does the staff know?

SeaboundQT

Hi there - we are sailing on Summit in a couple of weeks, and we pre-paid our gratuities already, but how do the staff on board (restaurant staff; cabin staff, etc.) know this, so that they don't think we're just being rude when we don't leave a tip each day in the room, or after dinner, etc? Thanks v. much!

Receive a list telling them which guests have prepaid gratuities, which are having gratuities added to their SeaPass Account on an [automatic] daily basis, and which have elected to tip [it takes a trip to Guest Relations to opt out] on a fully discretionary cash basis...

Celebrity does not use a voucher system...

Envelopes for additional gratuities--should you think them warranted--are available at Guest Relations during the last several days of a sailing...

Hi there - we are sailing on Summit in a couple of weeks, and we pre-paid our gratuities already, but how do the staff on board (restaurant staff; cabin staff, etc.) know this, so that they don't think we're just being rude when we don't leave a tip each day in the room, or after dinner, etc? Thanks v. much!

I have no idea but they do know. We asked to have them removed from our sea pass the first day we boarded. (we bring cash to pay them) On the 2nd to last day our room steward asked us if he did something wrong he noticed that we opted to remove the gratuities. I told him no he was wonderful and we prefferred to pay in cash.

He was happily surprised when we handed him double what the weekly amount should have been. He was great though and deserved it!;)

I have no idea but they do know. We asked to have them removed from our sea pass the first day we boarded. (we bring cash to pay them) On the 2nd to last day our room steward asked us if he did something wrong he noticed that we opted to remove the gratuities. I told him no he was wonderful and we prefferred to pay in cash.

He was happily surprised when we handed him double what the weekly amount should have been. He was great though and deserved it!;)

My understanding is that IF grats are removed by a passenger in a particular cabin - cabin steward and waitstaff must turn in any cash received from that same cabin and it is pooled. Am I incorrect? When we cruised on Princess - we tipped extra to our MDR waiters and he had to declare it and got it back once it was confirmed we had not removed our auto grats. Is it different on Celebrity?

We always leave on the automatic gratuities. We often get exceptional service, and in those cases we give some "extra" to those who offered the exceptional service, with the hopes that they can keep it since we left the automatic tips on. We have never had "bad" service, but if we did, I think we would complain or talk to the person who wasn't giving the appropriate service so it could be improved. I would think that if someone gave really poor service, you could reduce the automatic gratuity. But most crewmembers offer great service, so I don't think we will ever encounter that situation. We once had a cabin steward who only offered "marginal" service. In that case, we simply did not give an "additional" gratuity.

My understanding is that IF grats are removed by a passenger in a particular cabin - cabin steward and waitstaff must turn in any cash received from that same cabin and it is pooled. Am I incorrect? When we cruised on Princess - we tipped extra to our MDR waiters and he had to declare it and got it back once it was confirmed we had not removed our auto grats. Is it different on Celebrity?

That was not the case on our cruise on the Summit last year. We would tip our bartenders, room steward, other staff that helped us daily. We brought $ with us for that purpose.

That was not the case on our cruise on the Summit last year. We would tip our bartenders, room steward, other staff that helped us daily. We brought $ with us for that purpose.

But if you removed your tips they were supposed to pool those tips. They get to keep the extra if you leave your tips on. That way the assistants and those who you may forget get tipped. This does not apply to bartenders but to staff covered by daily tips. The waiter and room steward get questioned about their service, if they did something that caused you to remove your tips, by their managers if tips are removed. I do not believe this applies to room service tips.

Yes, staff knows. They also know how many times you have sailed. One told me once why should I work extra hard for someone who has removed tips and may NOT tip at all .Leave tips on! You need to have a really good reason to remove them .Had a waiter harassing the ladies at our singles table. I went down to remove his tips. They said All tips removed or none at all. Took me several on staff, maybe 3/4 hour to do it. Due to ladies complaints he was thrown off ship at next port. I was very impressed by lines actions.

It's basically the same!

It just baffles my mind why some remove the tip from their invoice...It just sounds *cheap* to me...:rolleyes:

Is this to reduce the amount given or eliminate tipping all together?

All you mentioned was tipping the steward....what about the other crew members who served you so well on your vacation? :cool:

It just baffles my mind why some remove the tip from their invoice...It just sounds *cheap* to me...

Are you talking about the "Prepaid" or "Automatically Charged to Your Account" tips?

I'll try to help you out with an explanation.

If it is "Automatically Charged" to your account... IT'S NOT A TIP!

That is what we in the real (business) world call a Service Fee.

A tip is something that the cruiser chooses to give someone for good service. And I like to get the good service, then pay the tip for said service. If I don't get it, I won't pay it. It's nice to get to choose who gets what.

Hope This Helps.

Are you talking about the "Prepaid" or "Automatically Charged to Your Account" tips?

I'll try to help you out with an explanation.

If it is "Automatically Charged" to your account... IT'S NOT A TIP!

That is what we in the real (business) world call a Service Fee.

A tip is something that the cruiser chooses to give someone for good service. And I like to get the good service, then pay the tip for said service. If I don't get it, I won't pay it. It's nice to get to choose who gets what.

Ugh?!?!?!

Tips - Gratuities - Service Fees

no matter what "you" call it... it's still the same.... ;)

Tips or service fee..don't really care what you call it...it goes to the staff and is well deserved. We consider auto grat as part of cost and covers ALL service staff who contribute to a great cruise. We give extra to those who really impress us..usually room steward and waiters. Tipping has long been part of the cruise culture and staff earnings. We've cruised a fair bit and cannot recall a situation where I was disappointed with service - staff works hard to please. To remove it :confused: sorry to say sounds petty and cheap to me.

It just baffles my mind why some remove the tip from their invoice...It just sounds *cheap* to me...

To remove it :confused: sorry to say sounds petty and cheap to me.

And I could say that Not Removing it sounds petty and lazy to me.

Just because someone chooses to "Remove" the Auto-Charge on their account, does NOT mean they are not tipping. We usually tip MORE than the suggested amount, but I will decide who gets what and how much.

A good example, and a true story:

On one of our Mariner Cruises, we had who was obviously a very new waiter at our table. He was not very attentive or personable and had serveral problems during the week getting our orders straight.

However, our Assistant waiter was one who had served the Captain's Table and was Excellent. ( I actually think he was there to train our main waiter).

The suggested amount for the main waiter was $42 and the Assist. Waiter was $25. We paid the assistant $45 and the Main waiter $25.

Having the choice to control what goes to whom is important, and, yes, I choose to take the time and effort to do it myself.

What bugs me about cruiseline tipping policies is that management get tips. That just does not sit right w/ me. I have no problem tipping the service people, but mgmt? Really, in what real world business do mgmt get tips.

I do know of a few resturants who make service staff share tips w/ mgmt, I will not attend those returants. It is the service staff who get paid a very low wage, therefore, deserve the tip for THEMSELVES.

And I could say that Not Removing it sounds petty and lazy to me.

Just because someone chooses to "Remove" the Auto-Charge on their account, does NOT mean they are not tipping. We usually tip MORE than the suggested amount, but I will decide who gets what and how much.

A good example, and a true story:

On one of our Mariner Cruises, we had who was obviously a very new waiter at our table. He was not very attentive or personable and had serveral problems during the week getting our orders straight.

However, our Assistant waiter was one who had served the Captain's Table and was Excellent. ( I actually think he was there to train our main waiter).

The suggested amount for the main waiter was $42 and the Assist. Waiter was $25. We paid the assistant $45 and the Main waiter $25.

Having the choice to control what goes to whom is important, and, yes, I choose to take the time and effort to do it myself.

I wasn't even going to reply to your post, but I just had to!

You spend thousands of dollars on a cruise and the little that you pay in tips shouldn't matter! Am I right?

Don't you eat breakfast and lunch?

The tip money is divided. It just doesn't go to the main waiter and his assistant.

There are bus boys, clean-up crew in the buffet dining, etc.

Personally, I feel leaving the tips in place is a small price to pay. Along with a little extra & Thank You note, to have someone clean my bathroom, leave me clean towels every day, vacuum my room, make up my beds, empty my trash....serve me morning, noon, and night, you get the message. ;)

What bugs me about cruiseline tipping policies is that management get tips. That just does not sit right w/ me. I have no problem tipping the service people, but mgmt? Really, in what real world business do mgmt get tips.

I do know of a few resturants who make service staff share tips w/ mgmt, I will not attend those returants. It is the service staff who get paid a very low wage, therefore, deserve the tip for THEMSELVES.

Totally agree with you here.

They are salaried. No need to tip him.

There are many other crew members who are far more deserving of tips than MaitreDs.

On Princess, MaitreDs tip isn't included in the auto tipping, it's amazing how on the last day, you suddenly see him floating around the dining room, when you never saw him before. :rolleyes:

Totally agree with you here.

They are salaried. No need to tip him.

There are many other crew members who are far more deserving of tips than MaitreDs.

On Princess' date=' MaitreDs tip isn't included in the auto tipping, it's amazing how on the last day, you suddenly see him floating around the dining room, when you never saw him before. :rolleyes:[/quote']

We are ones who always remove the auto tips and tip generously throughout and at the end of the cruise, those who have done their job. Our room steward, waiters and bar people are never forgotten. Along w/ others who go out of their way to provide good service. I have not and will not tip mgmt.

I do not feel this is tacky or cheap. I would not tip a waiter at a restaurant before I dined, nor the housekeepers in a hotel. They have to earn it. Call me old fashion but one needs to work for a tip - It is NOT automatic. Should X feel it is automatic, then increase the price of the cruise by 350$ per person and give that $ to the employees by way of a higher wage.

I wasn't even going to reply to your post' date=' but I just had to!

You spend thousands of dollars on a cruise and the little that you pay in tips shouldn't matter! Am I right?

Don't you eat breakfast and lunch?

The tip money is divided. It just doesn't go to the main waiter and his assistant.

There are bus boys, clean-up crew in the buffet dining, etc.

Personally, I feel leaving the tips in place is a small price to pay. Along with a little extra & Thank You note, to have someone clean my bathroom, leave me clean towels every day, vacuum my room, make up my beds, empty my trash....serve me morning, noon, and night, you get the message. ;)[/quote']

I wasnt going to respond to your post either, but since you are accusing me of being "cheap" I just had too :rolleyes:

If you must know the reason we removed the automatic tips from our account was because we do not charge anything. We pay cash. I know a lot of people dont live like this anymore (take a look at our economy as proof) If we dont have the $$ to pay for it we dont get it, plain and simple. So yes we had to have a credit card (in our case we used our debit card) to set up our sea pass cards but we paid our entire balance in cash on our final sea day.

Not that it is any of your business but yes we did tip everyone out. I merely mentioned our room steward because he gave us the most exceptional service so he was the one who was compensated the most. Room Steward - $125

Room Steward Assistant- $60

Waiter- $75

Assitant waiter- $50

Maitre D- $40

We also tipped our room steward whenever he brought us dinner to our balcony. We tipped if we got room service and clothing pressed. We also tipped over the automatic gratuity added to our beverages when we got them. We brought along $100 in $2 bills as we have found a lot of the crew consider them to bring good luck ;)

I wasnt going to respond to your post either, but since you are accusing me of being "cheap" I just had too :rolleyes:

If you must know the reason we removed the automatic tips from our account was because we do not charge anything. We pay cash. I know a lot of people dont live like this anymore (take a look at our economy as proof) If we dont have the $$ to pay for it we dont get it, plain and simple. So yes we had to have a credit card (in our case we used our debit card) to set up our sea pass cards but we paid our entire balance in cash on our final sea day.

Not that it is any of your business but yes we did tip everyone out. I merely mentioned our room steward because he gave us the most exceptional service so he was the one who was compensated the most. Room Steward - $125

Waiter- $75

Assitant waiter- $50

Maitre D- $40

We also tipped our room steward whenever he brought us dinner to our balcony. We tipped if we got room service and clothing pressed. We also tipped over the automatic gratuity added to our beverages when we got them. We brought along $100 in $2 bills as we have found a lot of the crew consider them to bring good luck ;)

if i was part of the crew, i would feel like $5 bills have even more good luck. :)

Waiter- $75

Assitant waiter- $50

Maitre D- $40

You did tip some people. Not everyone who normally receives the auto tip. The people you tipped had to turn their tips in to be pooled since you removed the auto tips. And I don't understand the cash vs. credit card/debit card argument. If you settle your account in cash at the end, what's the difference?

if i was part of the crew, i would feel like $5 bills have even more good luck. :)

Ha ha ha! No kidding! One of the bartenders said he wasnt going to spend them but to save them because they would bring him good luck. I thought that was pretty neat to make him feel that way.

You did tip some people. Not everyone who normally receives the auto tip. The people you tipped had to turn their tips in to be pooled since you removed the auto tips. And I don't understand the cash vs. credit card/debit card argument. If you settle your account in cash at the end, what's the difference?

Its not an argument. We simply dont use credit cards. We dont even have one.

The people we tipped did not have to pool the money together. We specifically asked about that before tipping them.

Please correct me if I am wrong, but I think by choosing to take off your auto gratuities and tip your room stewards, waiter and ass't waiter and perhaps bar staff, then you would be leaving out many behind the scenes workers who have no chance of receiving extra tips.

To each his own, but we prefer to leave the automatic tips in place and reward exceptional service with cash tips. I do find it troubling that management may share in the tips but I can live with that better than leaving the very hard-working and deserving folks behind the scenes out.

Kim

Please correct me if I am wrong, but I think by choosing to take off your auto gratuities and tip your room stewards, waiter and ass't waiter and perhaps bar staff, then you would be leaving out many behind the scenes workers who have no chance of receiving extra tips. ...................

You said to do it, so here it is...

You are wrong.

A "TIP" is extra pay for SERVICE rendered.

The people who are working hard behind the scenes are not the ones who are Rendering the Service.

When you tip a waitress in a restuarant, do you go back to the kitchen and tip the cook and the dishwasher too?

No............. They get paid a fair wage for what they are doing. (there is noone holding a gun to their heads saying they have to do that or else -it's their choice.

Hope This Helps.

Archived