Grand Turk Nathans Golf Carts

swimgirl1

Since several of you have Grand Turk in your future, if you are interested in renting a golf cart, review the other thread on this topic. I posted my experience from Monday, January 9th, 2012.

Not sure which post you are referring to. Could you post the link? Thanks so much!:)

OK, here is my try to provide the link:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1542293

If that does not work, the thread is about four above this one.

The OP is something with Granny in the name.

Thanks! The link was perfect! :) I'm a little leery about it, but with so few choices in GT, we'll take our chances. We like to explore, so just getting around town will be fine. Did you find any interesting stores or markets? Do they drive on the same side of the road as in US?

They drive on the left like the UK.

Oh boy, I'm in trouble now! :eek: Thanks for the answer.....even if it wasn't the one I was hoping for! I think I spent half of my drive in the UK on the curb..... Sorry UK, I promise I won't drive there anymore!:o

Oh boy, I'm in trouble now! :eek: Thanks for the answer.....even if it wasn't the one I was hoping for! I think I spent half of my drive in the UK on the curb..... Sorry UK, I promise I won't drive there anymore!:o

There are not too many curbs, just ruts on the side of the road.

Okay here's a question for recent golf cart renters. If you had bad selection or limited selection of carts, when did you get off the ship? Does the early debarker get the better selection? Did you see other carts along the road? Did any of them have similar complaints? How many ships were in port with you?

Just re-reading the last page or two of posts, seems like there weren't many carts (or Jeeps) left when people picked them up. Perhaps that's the issue; Nathan books full and last ones there get the worst ones left.

Okay here's a question for recent golf cart renters. If you had bad selection or limited selection of carts, when did you get off the ship? Does the early debarker get the better selection? Did you see other carts along the road? Did any of them have similar complaints? How many ships were in port with you?

Just re-reading the last page or two of posts, seems like there weren't many carts (or Jeeps) left when people picked them up. Perhaps that's the issue; Nathan books full and last ones there get the worst ones left.

We will arrive on Ruby Princess at around 1pm and Carnival Glory will have gotten there at 11am. I'm just hoping he saves a working cart for us! If not, he needs to be prepared to refund our $80! :rolleyes: I'm going to hope for the best!

We were the first ones at the area where the golf carts are. (We were on one of two ships in port). There were two golf carts there and the one we sat in to wait had a broken starter switch, so I think it is just luck.

We were the first ones at the area where the golf carts are. (We were on one of two ships in port). There were two golf carts there and the one we sat in to wait had a broken starter switch, so I think it is just luck.

First from your ship or first from both ships, i.e., you were on the early ship in? Just seems strange he would advertise and book carts for 2 ships and only have 2 carts.

First from your ship or first from both ships, i.e., you were on the early ship in? Just seems strange he would advertise and book carts for 2 ships and only have 2 carts.

We were the first ship in and the first at the rendezvous (even the people sorting out the bookings hadn't arrived) Haven't a clue as to which ship's passengers had booked apart from us.

Ok! From our experience and we were early off the ship, when we reached the truck where we had to assume was involved in golf cart rentals, there are 2 carts and one jeep. There is not a fleet from which to choose. Our cart looked the best; the guy told DH to start in in gear and off we went. Personally, I could not have driven the thing as it was a challenge to keep it from stalling out. We own our own golf cart. It has a windshield; a horn and rear view mirrors. None of this was on the cart we rented. You drive on the left side, so I was the spotter who kept DH aware of what was coming behind us.

Roads have dust; passing island drivers blew by us and there were times I wanted to return to the ship. We kept going to the lighthouse. We did get lost once but there are better maps at the port.

I would not rent with Nathan again; need to watch my credit statements as he charged my card in advance in October and then I needed to sign again for more money on the island. We did spend$5 as his gas tank indicator is not accurate.

On return, we had to find some guy sleeping in his truck to verify the return.

Helllo?? This guy is making money through CC and I for one will not ever rent his crap vehicles.

Just our experience for gettig swiped for +$90 for a 2-3 hour tour in a junk yard gof cart.

Ok! From our experience and we were early off the ship, when we reached the truck where we had to assume was involved in golf cart rentals, there are 2 carts and one jeep. There is not a fleet from which to choose. Our cart looked the best; the guy told DH to start in in gear and off we went. Personally, I could not have driven the thing as it was a challenge to keep it from stalling out. We own our own golf cart. It has a windshield; a horn and rear view mirrors. None of this was on the cart we rented. You drive on the left side, so I was the spotter who kept DH aware of what was coming behind us.

Roads have dust; passing island drivers blew by us and there were times I wanted to return to the ship. We kept going to the lighthouse. We did get lost once but there are better maps at the port.

I would not rent with Nathan again; need to watch my credit statements as he charged my card in advance in October and then I needed to sign again for more money on the island. We did spend$5 as his gas tank indicator is not accurate.

On return, we had to find some guy sleeping in his truck to verify the return.

Helllo?? This guy is making money through CC and I for one will not ever rent his crap vehicles.

Just our experience for gettig swiped for +$90 for a 2-3 hour tour in a junk yard gof cart.

Have to agree with Loucat. We booked with Nathan because of CC recommendations, but this is the first time that the experience didn't live up to what we were led to expect. Possibly in the past it was worth the money and the vehicles were sound, but obviously money isn't being ploughed back into the business and of course, like us, other cruisers are still booking due to those old recommendations and keeping them ticking over.

Have to agree with Loucat. We booked with Nathan because of CC recommendations, but this is the first time that the experience didn't live up to what we were led to expect. Possibly in the past it was worth the money and the vehicles were sound, but obviously money isn't being ploughed back into the business and of course, like us, other cruisers are still booking due to those old recommendations and keeping them ticking over.

I just sent Nathan an email asking for some assurance that they are maintaining the carts and that we won't be charged any more than the $80 originally contracted for. I told him that the reports are beginning to be negative and business will be lost if the trend continues. We'll see what the response is.

I just sent Nathan an email asking for some assurance that they are maintaining the carts and that we won't be charged any more than the $80 originally contracted for. I told him that the reports are beginning to be negative and business will be lost if the trend continues. We'll see what the response is.

I did not want to say this on this board, but we did have the opportunity to talk to locals at a few stops. They have a low opinion of his operation and they did not say this from jealousy. They are concerned he is affecting the image of their island.

Hi Everyone, I did receive an email back from Nathan. He said that he's been in business for 15 years with the golf carts and from time to time he does have trouble with one of them. He also said that he has never charged more than $80 for a golf cart unless it's brought back without the gas being replaced, then he adds $10. He said that sometimes people will take a cart all day and then bring it back and say that they didn't have a good time or the cart was bad and tell him they don't want to pay. He said that he gives them his number and if they have problems they can call him right away and he will try to make it right.

Understand that I am only relaying his email, not making judgments. I haven't used him or had personal experience. I have read great comments and recently some negative comments. Loucat and Oldjerseycruiser obviously did not have great experiences with him or the carts.

We still plan to use the cart in March when we are there, so I'll write back my own review then. Until then, I hope that we'll see more people review. I wonder if he gets a lot of CC traffic, or if most of his business comes from "walk ups" from the ships?

***Anyone who will have experience with Nathan in the next few weeks/months, please post your experience!*** TIA

Edited by 5326jan

We've rented a cart for our upcoming visit to GT on Feb 23 based on more positive comments on this board. I will most definitely post as to our experience. Meanwhile here's hoping for the best and thanks to everyone's input- good and bad! :)

Be sure to tell him your connection to CC, so he knows that we'll "tell on him" if the experience is bad!;):rolleyes::D

I'll be anxious to read the newer reviews, as well. We'll be there in June and I've already contacted Nathan to reserve our golf cart. When I asked about a cart to hold the five of us (thinking I had read that he had carts for six people), he wrote back and said that he also rented mini-vans and jeeps that hold six people - said they rent for $80 also.

We're a tad leary of this....we'd rather had a golf cart, but now reading the latest, we're even more apprehensive. Our kids aren't little - our two oldest are actually young adults, and our "baby" is a teenager. Three of us are 6 ft plus tall, so I don't know that all five of us could squeeze into a four-seater golf cart....

sigh...

will be looking for the newest reviews.

thanks.

Be sure to tell him your connection to CC, so he knows that we'll "tell on him" if the experience is bad!;):rolleyes::D

LOL - I'm thinking of ordering a Cruise Critic T-Shirt through the tore and have it on that day. :rolleyes: What do think, worth a try, or go "cold turkey" for a better evaluation?

LOL - I'm thinking of ordering a Cruise Critic T-Shirt through the tore and have it on that day. :rolleyes: What do think, worth a try, or go "cold turkey" for a better evaluation?

:D:D Funny! Like the CC Patrol! It's a roll of the dice either way, I guess. Especially if you're on the cruise that comes in at 1pm, when the Carnival Glory gets in around 11am. :rolleyes: