When To Purchase Travel Insurance?

It depends what you want coverage for. Most policies that I've purchased require you to buy within 14 days or so of the initial deposit to cover pre-existing conditions and to be able to purchase "cancel for any reason" coverage.

• 2 weeks later...
At what point in the cruise payment process should we buy trip insurance, before final payment, after, when?

Thank you.

If you're young, in good health, parents in good health, don't expect any family members not traveling with you to have any problems,,,,,,, then buying at final payment when penalties kick in is fine.

If there are any pre-existing medical conditions that may flair up and cause you to cancel, problems at work, or sick family members,,,,, then buy within 14 days of initial deposit.

I can't believe I did this, but I booked a cruise today on Princess for departure on April 25. Since it was so close, I had to make full payment at the time of booking. I didn't purchase their insurance, but did purchase insurance through Travelex.

A few hours later, I remembered that family members are coming from out of state for a wedding and were supposed to stay with me. Of course, we will still be on the cruise!

The travel insurance I purchased shows cancel for any reason, not available.

My question is, is there any courtesy given within 24 hours of booking--like airlines do--by either the cruise line, the insurance company, or maybe by my credit card company?

Still can't believe I did this!!!!!!!

I don't think so. Your insurance certainly wouldn't cover you. You'd have to read your contract with Princess. Try calling Princess. If you can't cancel, can't these family members stay in the house without you, or in a hotel?

I can't believe I did this, but I booked a cruise today on Princess for departure on April 25. Since it was so close, I had to make full payment at the time of booking. I didn't purchase their insurance, but did purchase insurance through Travelex.

A few hours later, I remembered that family members are coming from out of state for a wedding and were supposed to stay with me. Of course, we will still be on the cruise!

My question is, is there any courtesy given within 24 hours of booking--like airlines do--by either the cruise line, the insurance company, or maybe by my credit card company?

The cruise line -- generally, no. But if you plead your case they might do something for you but I'd say it's a long shot. Probably the best you'd be able to hope for would be a credit to be applied to a future cruise.

Travelex will let you cancel the policy for any reason and get a refund of the premium up to 10 days from purchase. They generally will not refund that $8 processing fee, but again, it doesn't hurt to ask.

I called Princess this morning, and they allowed me to move over to another cruise--as long as the fare was the same or higher, and I booked it before the end of the phone call. The poor girl stayed on the line with me while we searched for another cruise and looked for suitable air fares with miles. Before it was all said and done, we did find another cruise and travel arrangements. Travelex also allowed me to move the coverage to the new booking without penalty--what a relief.

The upside is we got a balcony instead of inside, got a refund due to fees and taxes being different, and an increase in our FCC OBC since we booked a higher category.

The downside--not much really--a 10 day instead of 15, and I still don't get to see the Panama Canal.

I really have to give kudos to Princess--I guess they didn't have to allow me to make the switch, and their rep was so, so very helpful and patient.

And in answer to the question about family members staying in the house while we were gone--yep, they could have, and that's what I was prepared to have them do if Princess wouldn't let us change. Better that, than us lose our "investment in leisure therapy!"

Archived