Q'n re: Leonardo express train and transfer

Embracedbylife

We will be taking the express train from the airport to roma termini and then taking the metro from the termini one stop to Cavour Stn. on the B Line. Do we need to purchase a Metro ticket just for that one stop or do we stay within the station area and just get on the B line?

You do need to purchase a second ticket, Trenitalia (trains) and ATAC (Rome buses and subway) are different companies.

You can save yourself money, time and aggravation by avoiding Termini and the Leonardo Express. The LE uses tracks that are a full two or three blocks from the main train station, where the metro stop is. It's a long walk with luggage.

Alternately, you can take the local train (FR1 line) from the airport to Roma Ostiense (for half the fare of the LE) and transfer to the metro there (line B, direction Rebibbia). It's the same subway line, but in this case you'd be taking it for three stops.

You can see and download the local train and metro map here (http://www.atac.roma.it/files/doc.asp?r=4), where you can see the route I'm describing.

Alternately, you can take the local train (FR1 line) from the airport to Roma Ostiense (for half the fare of the LE) and transfer to the metro there (line B, direction Rebibbia). It's the same subway line, but in this case you'd be taking it for three stops.

You can see and download the local train and metro map here (http://www.atac.roma.it/files/doc.asp?r=4), where you can see the route I'm describing.

Thanks for posting that, eurocruiser. I've got a couple of questions, if I may: a) does the local train leave from the same station at Fiumicino as the Leonardo Express; and b) can I get a BIRG ticket for the local train? (I know it's not valid for the LE.)

I've used the LE on previous visits to Rome, and as it happens I'll be there ins just over two weeks for 48 hours. I had expected to us the LE but if there's an alternative I'll look at it.

Unfortunately, the FR1 line is specifically exempted from the BIRG ticket. It wouldn't much matter anyway, as no one at the Fiumicino train station sells the BIRG.

If you are going to be in Rome, you'll do just as well to buy the one way train ticket (8 Euro), then an all day Rome metro pass (called a BIG) for 4 Euro.

All trains to and from the airport use the same four tracks at the airport train station (on the Trenitalia site it's Aeroporto Fiumicino); there are signs at the end of each one showing which train is on the track.

We almost always take the local FR1 line for the reasons you stated AND more often than the one or two stations before Termini are usually closer to our hotel than Termini or provide us with a better place to change trains if we are heading to other areas like Cinque Terre.

Thank you sooooo much for this information!

When we purchase the ticket for the train at the airport do we need to specify departure/arrival stations or do we just by a one way ticket that allows you to ride anywhere going one way on the (FR1 line)and then transfer to the B line at Roma Ostiense? Do we need to buy a separate ticket for the B line when we transfer to it, or does the one ticket cover us from the airport to our final destination on the B line?

When we purchase the ticket for the train at the airport do we need to specify departure/arrival stations or do we just by a one way ticket that allows you to ride anywhere going one way on the (FR1 line)and then transfer to the B line at Roma Ostiense? Do we need to buy a separate ticket for the B line when we transfer to it, or does the one ticket cover us from the airport to our final destination on the B line?

At the airport train station you will buy a Trenitalia one way ticket to Roma Ostiense station. It is only good for the train ride from the airport to the Ostiense station.

At the Roma Ostiense station, you will follow the signs through the tunnel to the Piramide metro station, where you can buy either a one ride ticket (1 Euro) or all all day ticket (4 Euros). The all day ticket is good on all buses, metro and trams within Rome.

I really can't thank you enough for this wealth of knowledge. You've saved me a 15 minute walk from termini to my hotel :) And a less frustrated hubby LOL. I'm sure the transfer will be pretty simple at Roma Ostiense station then we have only 3 stops it looks like to Cavour which is a block from our hotel!! :)

One final question if you don't mind...

We will be traveling to the cruise terminal in Civitavecchia from our hotel. Can we get on at Cavour Stn and transfer at Roma Ostiense for a train onward to Civitavecchia or should we take the train from Cavour Stn. to Roma Termini (one stop) and get off there and get our tickets at Roma Termini to go to Civitavecchia?

Thanks again so much!

I'm sure the transfer will be pretty simple at Roma Ostiense station then we have only 3 stops it looks like to Cavour which is a block from our hotel!! :)

First, you are very welcome. I've learned a lot from folks on these boards, and I'm happy to be able to contribute in my relatively narrow area of expertise. As you read you'll discover that many members of CC have cruised the Med multiple times and can provide lots of help about dozens of ports, I'm pretty much limited to Italy.

So you are prepared, when you get off the train at Ostiense, you'll go down one flight of stairs (or use an elevator, there is one at every track) and walk through a tunnel that connects the tracks to the station underground. You'll continue on this level through a short tunnel to the metro station.

I find it helpful when taking a train I'm not familiar with to know the list of stops, so I'll know when mine is next. The list of stops on the FR1 is:

Fiumicino Aeroporto

Parco Leonardo

Fiera Di Roma

Ponte Galeria

Muratella

Magliana

Villa Bonelli

Roma Trastevere

Roma Ostiense

When you pull out of Roma Trastevere you'll have about three minutes before Ostiense.

We will be traveling to the cruise terminal in Civitavecchia from our hotel. Can we get on at Cavour Stn and transfer at Roma Ostiense for a train onward to Civitavecchia or should we take the train from Cavour Stn. to Roma Termini (one stop) and get off there and get our tickets at Roma Termini to go to Civitavecchia?

You can do it either way. Some people prefer to start at Termini to ensure they get a seat, but that's generally not a problem at the time you'd be heading to the cruise port.

At either Termini or Ostiense you can get a regional train or an IC train. The benefit of the IC train is that you can reserve a seat and it makes fewer stops, so it's a little faster. The downside is that it is more expensive (Euro 4,10 for the regional train vs. Euro 9,50 for the IC, in second class or Euro 12,50 in first class) and there are only a couple of them each day.

Another point to be prepared for: the station at Civitavecchia does not have elevators, so if your train arrives at one of the outer tracks, you'll need to climb down one flight of stairs and back up on the other side.

I really can't thank you enough for this wealth of knowledge. You've saved me a 15 minute walk from termini to my hotel :) And a less frustrated hubby LOL. I'm sure the transfer will be pretty simple at Roma Ostiense station then we have only 3 stops it looks like to Cavour which is a block from our hotel!! :)

One final question if you don't mind...

Thanks again so much!

Since you will be traveling on local trains with luggage make sure to keep a close eye on it. Keep your passports and money on your person at all times. Thieves like to target people who have too much to handle and look distracted. They will pick up a piece of your luggage and hop off the train just as the door closes. This is why we always take the LE. It is non stop and you sit in an enclosed room. You have plenty of time to get on and off. Every time we have taken it it has been at track 1. Now the train to Civi has always been quite a walk away.

Since you will be traveling on local trains with luggage make sure to keep a close eye on it. Keep your passports and money on your person at all times. Thieves like to target people who have too much to handle and look distracted. They will pick up a piece of your luggage and hop off the train just as the door closes. This is why we always take the LE. It is non stop and you sit in an enclosed room. You have plenty of time to get on and off. Every time we have taken it it has been at track 1. Now the train to Civi has always been quite a walk away.

Good advice about keeping your passports and money on you, not in a bag that could get away from you.

I'm a little confused about your LE statements, however. There was a time, for about 18 months, when the LE went all the way to the station at Termini (sometime around 2008 I think), but it very quickly reverted back to its current place, platform 25, which even the Trenitalia web site admits is a quarter mile away from the train station. (see here: http://www.trenitalia.com/cms/v/index.jsp?vgnextoid=f12f3bf7c819a110VgnVCM1000003f16f90aRCRD). The LE trains are old and dirty, and they're really kidding themselves in the link when they describe it as first class. There is only one class on this train, but it's not first.

Good advice about keeping your passports and money on you, not in a bag that could get away from you.

I'm a little confused about your LE statements, however. There was a time, for about 18 months, when the LE went all the way to the station at Termini (sometime around 2008 I think), but it very quickly reverted back to its current place, platform 25, which even the Trenitalia web site admits is a quarter mile away from the train station. (see here: http://www.trenitalia.com/cms/v/index.jsp?vgnextoid=f12f3bf7c819a110VgnVCM1000003f16f90aRCRD). The LE trains are old and dirty, and they're really kidding themselves in the link when they describe it as first class. There is only one class on this train, but it's not first.

I know we were really confused last Oct when we took it to the airport because it was at track 1 and we were going to go to track 25. Before that it was 2008 and 2007 and that's where it was also.

thanks again! good points about the safety aspect, knowing the upcoming stops and also getting better seats beginning at Roma Termini heading to Civitavecchia.

Any idea what the stops are before Civitavecchia in case the train doesn't end in Civitavecchia and keeps going past it? Just to be prepared so we know when to get ready to get off :)

thanks again so much.

Any idea what the stops are before Civitavecchia in case the train doesn't end in Civitavecchia and keeps going past it? Just to be prepared so we know when to get ready to get off :)

This one is a little more difficult, as there are three different regional train routings, and the IC.

Let's start with the IC because it's easy. It starts at Termini, stops at Roma Ostiense, and the next stop is Civitavecchia about 35 minutes later. Unfortunately, there are only IC trains at 9:46 AM, which may be too early, and 3:46 in the afternoon, which may be too late.

I forgot to mention the ES City trains in my earlier post. These go direct from Termini to Civitavecchia without stopping; fare is 13 Euro in second class and 18 Euro in first. There are ES City trains at 12:10 and 2:10.

The regional trains vary. Following are three different routes; the good news is that San Marinella is the last stop before Civitavecchia in each case:

Roma Termini

Roma Ostiense

Roma Trastevere

Roma S. Pietro

Ladispoli-Cerveteri

Marina Di Cerveteri

S. Marinella

Civitavecchia

Roma Termini

Roma Tuscolana

Roma Ostiense

Roma Trastevere

Roma S. Pietro

Roma Aurelia

Maccarese-Fregene

Torre In Pietra-Palidoro

Ladispoli-Cerveteri

Marina Di Cerveteri

Santa Severa

S. Marinella

Civitavecchia

Roma Termini

Roma Tuscolana

Roma Ostiense

Roma Trastevere

Roma S. Pietro

Maccarese-Fregene

Torre In Pietra-Palidoro

Ladispoli-Cerveteri

Marina Di Cerveteri

S. Marinella

Civitavecchia

The regional trains are fine for a port stop but with luggage I'd seriously consider either the IC or the ES City train, which will be more comfortable and easier. It costs a little more, but not much, and I think it's worth it so you arrive at your cruise unstressed and ready to enjoy.

Thanks again! I am familiar with the IC trains but not the ES City trains. Can you purchase tickets for the ES trains at the same ticket counter place at the train station as you buy tickets for the Local and IC trains?

We might take the local train but not sure. We are usually ok with our luggage. I only carry one bag :)

Can you purchase tickets for the ES trains at the same ticket counter place at the train station as you buy tickets for the Local and IC trains?

Yes, they are all Trenitalia trains.

The fastest and easiest way to buy train tickets is by using the machines in the stations. The the metro station ticket machines I posted about before, they are touchscreen, they have an English language option, and accept both credit cards and cash.

Sounds good. We'll just use the machine and have plenty of cash on hand. We have had issues using our credit cards without the "chip" in europe. So cash it is!!

I have had the same problem elsewhere in Europe, but not in Italy. My Amex and Mastercard work fine.

good to know! I might try that first then!! :)

Another question if you don't mind...

On our way back from the port to Roma Trastevere (where we will transfer for a train to the airport) will the local trains take one of the 3 same routes as those local trains you listed above or do those local trains come back using different stops than those 3 local train segments you listed before?

Just to make sure we can use that list of stops on the way back too!

Ok, this is not relevant to anything (but since we just had a Martini who cares) so must post this comment. We are awed and "Wowed" at Euros level of knowlege on this subject. Now mind you we are not ignorant travelers and also have a teeny bit of knowledge, but this just makes us appreciate Euro even more. In fact, every once in a while we learn new things from Euro (we did not know you couldn't buy a BIRG ticket at the Fiumcino station). For those of you trying to really learn how to travel independently you cannot do much better then to listen to Euro.

Hank

P.S. I did not receive any compensation from Euro for this post :)

:o You're all welcome.

Hey Hank, where's my martini? If you're back in the States ... I can come over you know.

As for knowledge, much of it was obtained by making every possible mistake in the book. I don't mind making mistakes, I mind making the same ones over again. I'm actually really good at making new ones.

Archived