First ever cruise booked for April 2012

BenTheMan

Hello everyone,

we have recently booked our first ever cruise, which will take place on the Constellation in April 2012. We are going on the 14 night carribbean cruise for our honeymoon. As my fiancee and I both have been working in the luxury hospitality business for years, we decided not to go on a trip staying at a hotel, as we have experienced so many fine ones already but to take a cruise (first one for both of us).

Now we are thinking about in which port we will book a shore excursion and in which ones - if any - we will go out on our own.

Also, are there any MUST DOs on the Constellation and things that might sound tempting but will turn out to be tourist traps?

Also: What is the typical age range for a cruise like the one we chose? Will we - both being 30 - stand out as being very young among the other passengers?

Thanks to everyone in advance for assisting us, as we are slowly staring to prepare for this - surely to be - amazing vacation.

Welcome to Cruise Critic,

You have picked an excellent ship and will have a wonderful honeymoon. You may be on the younger end of the age group but will not be alone by any means.

If there isn't already a Roll Call for your cruise, there will be one soon, so do look there for a good means of getting to know others who will be on your cruise ahead of time.

What kinds of things do you like to do? When we know that, we will be able to give better recommendations. Do you like to snorkel? Scuba? Cook? Go to beaches just to sit and swim for a day? See historic sights? Let us know.

On the Constellation there are two excellent specialty restaurants -- Ocean Liners and Tuscan Grille. You might want to consider special evenings there.

It should be a great cruise...

Must Do's on the ship:

1. Plan on using the Soilarium Pool. It's an indoor pool, free, adult only, indoor, saltwater with lots of water action and steel tubes on the side that form lounges you lay on in the water and bubbbles come up through them. fantastic. Our favorite pool on any ship. Lots of us call it a T-Spa Pool. Its forward on the Resort Deck. We love it so much we get a forward SR so we can zip up to it in the mornings. Right next to it is the Aqua Spa cafe where they serve healthly, light breakfasts and lunches. Again Free (or as some say, 'included').

2. There are a number of very good specialty restaurants along with the free Main Dining Room. All are nice, but we loved the Bistro on 5. A nice little diner that's open 0600 to 0200 the next day. Crepes, salads, panini sandwiches, desserts, wine and beer. Cost $5pp (mainly for tips) and lovely relaxed atmosphere. A great place to go to on embark day since the buffet can get a bit crowded.

3. Martini bar. An ice bar with the 'Crush' right next to it to sit and relax and socialize.

Try those and have a great cruise!

Den

Hi

great decision- great ship. A MUST DO - and worth the little extra- is the Ocean Liners Restaurant. Don´t know if you have a balcony- I found it always worth the cost. If you are a smoker- keep in mind, that X banned smoking from there.

I think you will love the Ship and the X- style. Never ever- try Costa- since you are- considering your profession used to style and nice surroundings. LOL.

Greetings

Michael

Thank you for the quick replies. Your recommendations sound really good and make me look forward to our cruise even more.

@holidaylover10: We will board the ship on the same day as you are.

@cruisestitch: We are very open minded in regards to the excursions. We are looking into the "Biking & Waterfall Hike" in St. Lucia and the BOSS Underwater Adventure in St. Thomas, my fiancee would like to swim with dolphins (and I promised her, that she will get to do so). We surely want to experience some beaches as well (is it worth taking a shore excursion for that or can this be done on our own, too). And maybe do some sightseeing to get to see the historic and natural sights of some of the islands.

What we won't go for are any 4x4 tours, or sailing excursions. Also cooking classes won't be as interesting for us, as my fiancee is a vegetarian and the Carribbean cuisine usually always uses meat in some ways.

Again, thanks for the assistance.

A very good thing is that it is easy to be a vegetarian eater on the ship. At breakfast and lunch you will find extensive buffets with many options. At dinner each night there is one vegetarian choice on the menu but also, and most people don't know this, there is another wholly vegetarian menu with three or four entrees. Ask your waiter each night for the upcoming menu for the next night and make your choices ahead of time, (which makes it easier for the kitchen to plan for you). That is the best way to make sure you get what you are interested in. Also, and this is not something that most people know, if you ask a day in advance the chef can make a vegetarian curry for you.

As for Ocean Liners, while it is a lovely experience, I'm not sure about the vegetarian options there. I would suggest that if you are interested in dining there, go early in the cruise to discuss with their maitre 'd what they can do.

That sounds good, I know she will love it when she has lots of vegetarian choices to choose from.

Reading all of those positive comments about our cruise, it makes it even harder to wait one more year before we embark!

we have recently booked our first ever cruise, which will take place on the Constellation in April 2012. We are going on the 14 night carribbean cruise for our honeymoon.

First, go to roll calls for your ship, the Constellation. Then look for the same 14 night caribbean cruise. Find a date as close as possible to the one you are going on, but for year 2011 (next month).

If you read those posts you will, in all likelihood, find the answers to everything you are asking.

Have fun!!;)

I am a vegetarian and eat very well on that ship. You might have to ask the Asst. Maitre d' for the full vegetarian menu if the waiter doesn't really know about it. Then you get to discuss what you want. They are very nice and the food is great. At Oceanliners I went in a few days before to let them know I was a vegetarian. The chef has always, on any Celebrity ship, made me a great meal when told in advance.

Being a vegetarian on Celebrity is actually quite a treat.

Fern

Archived