Fire and Ice

Hi, really interested in the Fire and Ice cruise for July 2012, just wondered if anybody had been on it and what they thought of it and what the weather was like! Torn between that and the Baltic cruise in August that goes to St Petersburgh. Any tips or thoughts much appreciated!!!! :D

Hi, really interested in the Fire and Ice cruise for July 2012, just wondered if anybody had been on it and what they thought of it and what the weather was like! Torn between that and the Baltic cruise in August that goes to St Petersburgh. Any tips or thoughts much appreciated!!!! :D

This is the itinerary I've been waiting for since Thomson pulled out of the UK - but they aren't offering it from Harwich :mad: only Newcastle and I doubt very much that they will offer free transport from the south coast to the NE. Lucky you to have the choice - we'll have to weigh up the extra cost and inconvenience as compared with other options from say, Southampton or Dover - or do a different itinerary altogether! Davetheroad's done this one so I'm sure he'll give you the details.

The Baltics however we've done three times - it was that good! It's a very different kind of holiday from the scenic Fjords etc - it's very much more a cultural trip - and fascinating! St Petersburg in particular is a stunning city with fabulous buildings and palaces. That's why we went back as we felt we hadn't been able to see enough in two days because there is so much there. Well worth a visit.

However, unless you get a visa independently and engage a private tour company, you have to go on Thomson trips which have a group visa to be allowed off the ship (private companies work out about the same as the ship's trips I think but you have the say about where you go). We try to adopt a DiY approach where possible/practical but in this instance you have to factor in the cost of excursions at St P which is fine as long as you are aware that you'll probably be paying about £200 p.p. extra if you want to get off both days and see something of this city. (You could get away with perhaps about £75 p.p. if you did just two half-day trips on each day - but having gone that far, it would be a pity not to see as much as possible imo.)

Tallin is a gem - just walk off here and enjoy the quaint cobbled streets and very attractive town. Stockholm, Helsinki, Warnemunde you can DiY - if you want more info on things to see and DiY tips, I can post the info for you. One of the highlights is the sail-away from Stockholm through the archipelago with the sun setting over the stern - it takes about 3 hours getting through the islands and the first two of these are beautiful and not to be missed (less impressive the closer to the open sea).

Just a note that the Copenhagen stop is actually Kalundborg - and here you need to go on the Thomson transfer really as train times aren't conducive to a DiY and it's an early sail away so if you want to see Copenhagen you'll have excursion costs here too. (The first time we went with Thomson we berthed in Copenhagen right by the Little Mermaid - it was great - the Kalundborg option is a poor substitute to see Copenhagen.)

It's a really good cruise, but these issues may be worth taking into account in your deliberations. Nice position to be in though - choosing between two. They've made it a bit more problematic for us - the North Cape and Iceland were what we were interested in and they're both from Newcastle! Still might do Iceland - but would wait for a late deal as neither the free parking or transport perks will be of use to us. Perhaps a later price drop will pay for the train! ;) (Bit of a gamble that there will be cheaper prices though!)

We are in lancashire and have had the free transport to Harwich before so transport not a problem. Taking my grandma who will be 81, and she is not really into the culture of places just likes looking at nice scenery! Lol! Leaning towards the fire and ice but must admit Im slightly put off by what the weather may be like and also how rough the sea might be up there!! Need to book on the fisrt day they are availabe as well because I need a single room for my grandma! :D:D

We are in lancashire and have had the free transport to Harwich before so transport not a problem. Taking my grandma who will be 81, and she is not really into the culture of places just likes looking at nice scenery! Lol! Leaning towards the fire and ice but must admit Im slightly put off by what the weather may be like and also how rough the sea might be up there!! Need to book on the fisrt day they are availabe as well because I need a single room for my grandma! :D:D

Good luck with that then - MIGHT just see you aboard if we decide to make the long trek 'Up North'! (I'm not kidding either it seems such a long way away :eek: and yet time was we travelled up and down a great deal and thought nothing of it. We've spent many holidays in Nothumberland - we just love it!!! It's all an attitude of mind - or an age thing as someone else suggested. Memo to myself: must stop being so provincial!!!! :D)

We have done a cruise to Iceland in July and it was 19 degs in Reykjavik !! It was a lovely cruise and was daylight until midnight and again before 3 am when we were furthest north...it was a bit damp in Faeroes and Shetland but warm..the only choppy bit was crossing the North Sea to Norway....we found it fascinating.

We have also been to the Baltic and loved that as well....difficult choice!! I think I would pick Fire and Ice as you can go to the Baltic with any cruiseline but there's not many go to Iceland...:)

Hi, We did the Fire and Ice and it's my favourite cruise and I would go back, correction, WILL go back, but want to go to the Baltics and North Cape first. We had really good weather when we went. Just like nice summer days at home. I know everyone has different tastes and interests but I can honestly say in Iceland I could have done every excursion and spent a long time deciding which to choose. Becuse of the distances we did all the trips with Thomsons except the Blue Lagoon. I am a very bad sailor so took lots of medication but the sea was very calm even in the Arctic circle! However coming back from Norway it was horrendous some people even slept in the show lounge. Hope this helps any more queries just ask.

Honestly was never cold. I took a thickish cardigan and pack-a-mac when we were out, not a coat and most of the time ended up carrying the cardy. It was chilly on the sea days to Norway but you don't have to be out then if you don't want.

I did fire and ice from newcastle a couple of years ago. The faroes are magnificent, all mountains and not flat and boring like I thought. We had 2 days in Reykjavik and i did a local tour the 1st day and Thingviller, Geyser and Gullfoss the second day. Fascinating despite falling off rocks at the waterfall and injuring my leg. It drizzled somewhat at Thingviller but the weather cleared.

then on to isafjord which is a nice little plce. We had brilliant weather and a great time. not keen on the dried fish though!

At Akroreyri another waterfall and more volcanic stuff plus lunch at lake Myvatn, luckily without midges.

Then a 2 day crossing to norway and Flam followed by Bergen where we had a huge thunderstorm, luckily I had just got back aboard. The crossing back to newcastle was really rough with waved up to the bar windows. It did not bother me though as I had taken my stugeron.

I would certainly do fire and ice again but want to do north cape adventure first, hopefully there will be some single cabins left on the 7th. I have already made an appointment with the TA for opening time on the 7th.

I think I'd be worried about getting bored on the sea days if it's too chilly to go out on deck! What sort of activities do they put on through the day? Is there plenty to keep you entertained?

We actually were outside during the day along with other people but you had to put a coat on except when you were in the jaccuzi! Entertainment included plays, dancing, fashion shows, talks, port talks, gambling lessons,and probably more that I can't remember. Maybe Dave can?

Thanks for the info happy v - that sounds quite good. Really quite tempted. May be my first adventure as a single cruiser, although as davetheroad says will have to be quick to get a single cabin!!

I am not amused though that these cruises go on sale when I am actually away on a cruise - how very dare they!!! :eek:

Archived