Hawaiin Ports Right Off the Ship

bellagirl

Hi-Out of the following ports, which ones can be accessed from simply getting off the ship and walking to town? Hilo, Honolulu, Nawiliwili, and Lahaini. We do plan on doing the Road to Hana tour in Honolulu-can anyone recommend a good touring company to go with? I've been looking at Valley Isle Excursions and Roberts Tours as well.

Thank you to all who respond. Shelly:)

l

Lahaina- you tender right into the downtown.

Honolulu you dock sort of between two main areas- Pearl Harbor (to the left) and Waikiki (to the right), but both are a little ways away. True downtown Honolulu is sort of inland from the port, and on the edge of walking distance.

Road to Hana is on Maui, not Oahu, where Honolulu is. If you are tendering into Lahaina, that is where you would access Road to Hana tours.

Hilo, Honolulu, Nawiliwi are all docked ports--you just walk off the ship. Lahaina is a tender port.

Road to Hana is on the island of Maui (Lahaina). Do know that Roberts is very reputable throughout the islands for tours. We took two with them while on POA.

By reading other threads, I think you will notice that lots of people rent cars on Maui and drive the Road to Hana themselves.

We are sailing on the 4/10/11 Carnival Spirit and will be taking Valley Isle Excursions to do the Road to Hana on Tues., 4/19. We made this decision after much deliberation. We are docked at Kahului Tues. and Wed. and planned to rent a car both days and had Tues. night booked for the Old Lahaina Luau. We decided to rent on Wed. only and go with Valley Isle Excursions because first, they go all the way around by way of the southern coast and our rental car agency said that they did not want for us to go that route because of the gravel road section past the 7 Sacred Pools and second, they use 12 passenger max. vans that have big windows to look out of and captains chairs to sit in. We now are looking for a luau on Oahu and trying to decide between Germaine's and the Polynesian Cultural Center.

In Nawiliwili Kauai, you can walk (10 minutes) to the anchor cove shopping area. There is an ABC store there, the beach in front of the Marriott and lots of shops. They all have Hilo Hatties shuttles that take you to their store which is in the shopping areas. The shuttles do circles back & forth so you can shop near the Hilo Hatties then return there to get picked back up by the shuttle. I think it was Hilo that had the Walmart right next to Hilo Hatties where stocked up on soda & water. In Kona, there are lots of shops at the port where the tender drops you off and a Walmart shuttle to take you there & back. I think in Honolulu there is a little shopping area nearby and I've heard china town is in walking distance but may be 30 minutes each direction??

Hi-Out of the following ports, which ones can be accessed from simply getting off the ship and walking to town? Hilo, Honolulu, Nawiliwili, and Lahaini. We do plan on doing the Road to Hana tour in Honolulu-can anyone recommend a good touring company to go with? I've been looking at Valley Isle Excursions and Roberts Tours as well.

Thank you to all who respond. Shelly:)

l

Hilo, you'll be about a good hike from the terminal to the main street. We actually walked it, but maybe you can grab the Hilo Hattie's shuttle at the pier (the HH is at the Prince Kuhio shopping center which is a mall that's shaped like a X in a way...the HH is across from it). I didn't notice a Walmart there, but it could have been.

Honolulu -- you'll probably be docking right at the terminal by the Aloha Tower Marketplace. Look for one of the freebie shuttles (like Hilo Hatties) if you want, but if you can walk, you can just cut through by the tower and walk along the waterfront to get to the Waikiki beach. We actually ended up on a limo with some other people (it was $15 for the three of us, I think the couples paid $15 each) to the Ala Moana mall as we had never been there. Then we walked over to Waikiki. And took the bus back to the Tower.

Nawilili -- Lihue would be a shuttle away. We jumped on the free shuttle to the Anchor mall as we wanted to get to the beach there (we did this five years ago too)

Lahaina is a tender port. But the town is right there. There is a bus that goes up to the beach away (and Whalers mall), but we didn't go that far up.

If you're going on the Golden Princess for Hawaii, there's a lot of great Hawaiian activities onboard.

I'll offer my opinion on the Road to Hana- and it's my opinion FWIW.....

we did it via NCL ship's excursion- and while the scenery was beautiful and interesting- after about 5 hours worth - we were over it. Such a long drive to Hana- and not much to see there- or at least not much they showed us. After that we continued on (the way the rental car companys do not permit) , and after a couple hours of that- we were over it- although I will admit the national park was worth the stop.

If we had it to do over in Maui- would do something else

Enjoy Hawaii- whatever you do!

Thanks for the feedback catz n dog. So many people rave about RTH and I just didn't want to do it so I'm going to Iao needle park and & few other things like the sugar plantation museum and touring Lahaina instead. I would like to see the black sand beach near Hana but I'll settle for the black sand beach in Hilo instead.

In Nawiliwili Kauai, you can walk (10 minutes) to the anchor cove shopping area. There is an ABC store there, the beach in front of the Marriott and lots of shops. They all have Hilo Hatties shuttles that take you to their store which is in the shopping areas. The shuttles do circles back & forth so you can shop near the Hilo Hatties then return there to get picked back up by the shuttle. I think it was Hilo that had the Walmart right next to Hilo Hatties where stocked up on soda & water. In Kona, there are lots of shops at the port where the tender drops you off and a Walmart shuttle to take you there & back. I think in Honolulu there is a little shopping area nearby and I've heard china town is in walking distance but may be 30 minutes each direction??

Lisa - is there a Hilo Hattie's shuttle in Kauai? I think that is the only port where we have scheduled down time.:cool:

Thanks for the feedback catz n dog. So many people rave about RTH and I just didn't want to do it so I'm going to Iao needle park and & few other things like the sugar plantation museum and touring Lahaina instead. I would like to see the black sand beach near Hana but I'll settle for the black sand beach in Hilo instead.

We're with you! The Road to Hana does not appeal to any of us, so we have a similar itinerary for our Day 1 in Mauai. Day 2 is our Molokini excursion. I am not familiar with the Sugar Plantation Museum. Where is that?

I'm sure there is a shuttle in Kauai but I didn't pay attention last time. I remember seeing a Hilo Hatties in Lihue near the Walmart but I don't recall seeing shuttles. They very well could have been I just didn't take any because I had a rental car.

The sugar museum is 10 minutes from Lihue airport on the way to Lahaina. http://www.sugarmuseum.com/sugar.html/frameset.exhibits.html. It may be totally boring but I think it will be interesting.

I'm sure there is a shuttle in Kauai but I didn't pay attention last time. I remember seeing a Hilo Hatties in Lihue near the Walmart but I don't recall seeing shuttles. They very well could have been I just didn't take any because I had a rental car.

The sugar museum is 10 minutes from Lihue airport on the way to Lahaina. http://www.sugarmuseum.com/sugar.html/frameset.exhibits.html. It may be totally boring but I think it will be interesting.

Thanks, Lisa!

So many people rave about RTH and I just didn't want to do it so I'm going to Iao needle park and & few other things like the sugar plantation museum and touring Lahaina instead. I would like to see the black sand beach near Hana but I'll settle for the black sand beach in Hilo instead.

Hi AZ,

There is definitely lots to do besides RTH and having just got back from our cruise last week I can safely second your decision. The last thing we'd have wanted to do is spend so much time in the car... RTH is something we'll save for a Maui land vacation...

We spent an amazing day 1 in Maui beaching it at Black Rock - followed by a sunset sail/whale watch out of Lahaina (I'm certain you'll LOVE Lahaina as much as we did.) We also did the Haleakala at Sunrise but I'm sure it would have been heavenly during the day also... Go with your gut and I'm sure you won't go wrong.

I'll post a review soon but suffice to say that Maui was one of my favourite islands (in the top 4 at least :) )

Lisa - Black rock is at Ka'anapali Beach, the far end of it near the Sheraton. Here is a link to more information. We plan to go there, if nothing else just to see. However, I have also been told on TA to go to the beach just north of it, Kahekili Beach. They said to swim just on the other side of Black Rock. Less crowded and better snorkeling. There are also facilities to change there. I have both on my GPS. We are taking our swimsuits, but will decide once we get there if we will go into the water. It is going to be a "go with the flow" day for us.:D

Lisa - Black rock is at Ka'anapali Beach, the far end of it near the Sheraton. Here is a link to more information. We plan to go there, if nothing else just to see. However, I have also been told on TA to go to the beach just north of it, Kahekili Beach. They said to swim just on the other side of Black Rock. Less crowded and better snorkeling. There are also facilities to change there. I have both on my GPS. We are taking our swimsuits, but will decide once we get there if we will go into the water. It is going to be a "go with the flow" day for us.:D

Sounds like a great plan. I will try Kahekili Beach next time too. Be sure to stop and get drinks/ice first and an umbrella if sitting back and people-watching is your thing like it was mine. With all the whirlwind activity beforehand I actually let DH and the kids do the snorkelling and I just got lazy - had the best time ever :D. There is an ABC store if you park at Whaler's village just south of the Sheraton (the ABC store will validate 3 hours of parking for a $15 purchase). Then you can relocate to the Kahekili Beach after that. Don't forget a soft-sided cooler and you'll be all set.

In Nawiliwili Kauai, you can walk (10 minutes) to the anchor cove shopping area. There is an ABC store there, the beach in front of the Marriott and lots of shops. They all have Hilo Hatties shuttles that take you to their store which is in the shopping areas. The shuttles do circles back & forth so you can shop near the Hilo Hatties then return there to get picked back up by the shuttle. Iquote]

I hope I have done this quote right :confused:

I was just wondering with the walk to the anchor cove shopping area from the port, is it a straight walk, do you follow a pathway or cross any roads at all :confused:, and do the shuttles pick you up from the port where the ship is docked, thanks.:)

In Nawiliwili Kauai, you can walk (10 minutes) to the anchor cove shopping area. There is an ABC store there, the beach in front of the Marriott and lots of shops. They all have Hilo Hatties shuttles that take you to their store which is in the shopping areas. The shuttles do circles back & forth so you can shop near the Hilo Hatties then return there to get picked back up by the shuttle. Iquote]

I hope I have done this quote right :confused:

I was just wondering with the walk to the anchor cove shopping area from the port, is it a straight walk, do you follow a pathway or cross any roads at all :confused:, and do the shuttles pick you up from the port where the ship is docked, thanks.:)

To capture the quote, hit the quote button in the message, then type after the last QUOTE] bracket or before the first character.

Yes the shuttle will pick you up from the ship and take you there. To walk there, I just walk out the gate and keep going straight. You walk along the street & head towards the beach & Marriott that you see from the ship and you will find it. Its hard to know north from south but it directly north of the ship. When you are on the lido deck look at the cove beach in front of the hotel and it is behind the hotel.

AZ is right.

I get impatient waiting for shuttles so we just walked too.

The walk takes no time at all - the path is quite obvious when you exit the pier -as you exit security turn right along the sidewalk that leads right to Anchor Cove and the beach - you can't miss it. There's lots of people walking back and forth too.

We actually beat our kids back - they wanted to take the cute trolley shuttle and had to sit on it while security checked everyone's ID whereas we walked right through.

Ok, another question,since you're all so knowledgeable. Where can we find the best luau? Which island? We want the night show, the feast, music, dancing,the whole she-bang:D. Is there a particular tour that includes the luau or best to DIY? I don't think we will be renting any cars.

Thanks again, Shelly:)

Shelly: Without renting a car, I'm afraid your options are limited. Kauai has a luau excursion thru the ship. The only other option is to do a post or pre-cruise hotel stay and do one in Oahu. Thats what I'm doing. I booked a luau that picks us up at my waikiki hotel and takes us to the Germaines luau.

I don't know what ship you are on but there are luau's in Lahaina. On Pride of America, the ship doesn't go to Lahaina. So its a good 45 minute drive to luau's.

Ok, another question,since you're all so knowledgeable. Where can we find the best luau? Which island? We want the night show, the feast, music, dancing,the whole she-bang:D. Is there a particular tour that includes the luau or best to DIY? I don't think we will be renting any cars.

Thanks again, Shelly:)

In Kauai - Robert's Tours will take you from the ship directly to the Smith Family Luau. It is a popular luau. A quieter, more intimate experience than the one through the ship. No car is needed. Pick up time is at 4:30 and you will be returned to the ship at 9:00 PM. We are doing the Wailua River/Luau combo Tour which includes a river boat ride to the Fern Grotto prior to the luau. Our pick up time will be at 2:30 PM instead of 4:30.

I can't wait to go and will post reviews upon my return in late May.:D

To capture the quote, hit the quote button in the message, then type after the last QUOTE] bracket or before the first character.

Yes the shuttle will pick you up from the ship and take you there. To walk there, I just walk out the gate and keep going straight. You walk along the street & head towards the beach & Marriott that you see from the ship and you will find it. Its hard to know north from south but it directly north of the ship. When you are on the lido deck look at the cove beach in front of the hotel and it is behind the hotel.

Thanks Lisa :)

Archived