Women's Clothing: Difference between Formal and Semi-Formal Dresses?

whitenack

Hi folks,

We are headed to our first cruise in 2 weeks!

I have a good understanding of what an appropriate dress for the casual nights would be, but having a hard time determining the difference between a semi-formal and formal dress. We don't have enough money to purchase a long formal gown, so my wife has a bunch of short coctail and party dresses.

I am having a hard time figuring out what makes a dress formal? Is there not much difference? Does it have to do with the accessories? Certain colors? Or, is there really no difference?

While you do still see some ladies wearing longer evening dresses, cocktail dresses are now perfectly acceptable for "formal" nights.

Years ago it was men in tux, women in long gowns, but more and more people have taken the level down to semi-formal with men in suits or sportscoats/slacks and women in shorter dresses and even pants and sparkly tops. And yes, some women even take a day time dress (think office or Sunday best) and dress it up with jewelry. There are even a few men who are in shirtsleeves with a tie, or no tie, you see a lot of different interpretations of "formal".

Your wife will be fine in her cocktail dresses, I've been wearing shorter cocktail dresses on cruise formal nights for probably 5 years now. I find them easier to pack, the extra length and width of fabric of a long dress takes up the amount of space as another top would.

I agree with the previous post however here is my 2 cents worth. 1st formal night on some ships are as previously stated less formal than other cruise lines. i.e. Cunard, Crystal and other high end lines could be more formal with women wearing gowns and men definitely in suits if not tuxes.

2nd it depends on where you are going. Caribbean is more relaxed as is HAwaii, South Pacific. Europe could be a little more formal.

My DH and I have been on both. Back in the day he wore a tux and I a long gown. Today he sometimes wears a sport jacket w/tie or a dark suit. Myself I have a long black Chico skirt (very easy to roll and stretchable) and have dressy tops to go with it. Otherwise I wear a cocktail dress. The next cruise we are taking is a 29 day cruise with 4 formal nights. Needless to say I will be repeating my outfits if we attend all 4.

Rule of thumb. Get a black cocktail dress and you can never be wrong.

• 2 weeks later...

Agree that a classic black cocktail dress is perfect...you can "sparkle" it up. Twenty some years ago I would say yes to the tux/long dress but I know I couldn't get my H in a tux anymore...between the airline luggage regulations and the appearance of guys in the dining room without even a sport coat the tux days are long gone. H is totally happy/comfortable/willing to put on a jacket and tie and he wears a sport coat every night to dinner I've noticed, but he says "no" to the tux these days. He says it makes him feel "old" and "over dressed." If you change your mind you H could get one on the ship.

I've contemplated "begging" my H to do the formal thing next year for our anniversary just to make a special evening...we'll see. Attitude is everything!

Hi folks,

We are headed to our first cruise in 2 weeks!

I have a good understanding of what an appropriate dress for the casual nights would be, but having a hard time determining the difference between a semi-formal and formal dress. We don't have enough money to purchase a long formal gown, so my wife has a bunch of short coctail and party dresses.

I am having a hard time figuring out what makes a dress formal? Is there not much difference? Does it have to do with the accessories? Certain colors? Or, is there really no difference?

This is what I usually wear although I have gone a little bit more Formal depending on the cruise. Never worn a gown. lol, maybe if DH ever takes me on a cunard ship

MARGE.jpg.448062c9b412647a6239eda453fa026b.jpg

anyone?

No, RCCL doesn't do the semi-formal anymore.

To me, casual means shorts, tee shirts, sandals for men and pretty much the same for woman. Smart casual is long pants, collared shirt with no tie and sport coat, closed shoe for men....that's what DH would wear. For woman, nice, "Sunday go to meetin" dress or nice slacks/capris and top, nice flats or dressier sandals, either heels or flat....no rubber flip flops.

When people use "Country Club Casual" to describe dressing some times it makes me go :rolleyes::eek:

When I was a girl back in the USA we 1) couldn't afford Country Club membership and 2) the local Country Clubs didn't accept the likes of us anyway!:p

When people use "Country Club Casual" to describe dressing some times it makes me go :rolleyes::eek:

When I was a girl back in the USA we 1) couldn't afford Country Club membership and 2) the local Country Clubs didn't accept the likes of us anyway!:p

I always thought the subtext of "country club casual" was "and if you don't know what we mean by that, then you really don't belong on our ships".:rolleyes:

I always thought the subtext of "country club casual" was "and if you don't know what we mean by that, then you really don't belong on our ships".:rolleyes:

Bingo!!!!!

Another one that gets me -- and I know exactly what they mean is "family friendly".

Lemme tell you, they don't mean the families in my neckadawoods~!

I agree with the previous post however here is my 2 cents worth. 1st formal night on some ships are as previously stated less formal than other cruise lines. i.e. Cunard, Crystal and other high end lines could be more formal with women wearing gowns and men definitely in suits if not tuxes.

2nd it depends on where you are going. Caribbean is more relaxed as is HAwaii, South Pacific. Europe could be a little more formal.

My DH and I have been on both. Back in the day he wore a tux and I a long gown. Today he sometimes wears a sport jacket w/tie or a dark suit. Myself I have a long black Chico skirt (very easy to roll and stretchable) and have dressy tops to go with it. Otherwise I wear a cocktail dress. The next cruise we are taking is a 29 day cruise with 4 formal nights. Needless to say I will be repeating my outfits if we attend all 4.

Rule of thumb. Get a black cocktail dress and you can never be wrong.

And speaking of "a black cocktail dress," a great read for a cruise--or anytime--is Rhoda Janzen's book: Mennonite in a Little Black Dress!

Archived