Are there quiet places on the Jewel?

Years and years ago, I took a fairly long cruise on the Vision of the Seas. I swore then that I would never go back on RCCL. Love everything about the cruise except that it was impossible to find *any* place on the ship that did not have either live or piped-in music. Fortunately we had a balcony, so we were able to hear the sound of the waves .. but that was the only place we could. And it meant you had to stay in your cabin if you wanted to simply read or write or talk with nothing but natural sounds in the background. -- Switched to NCL and it much better. --- But the Jewel's fall TA itinerary is just too good to pass up, so we're going to venture over to this line again.

But that's a lot of sea days .... and I'm just wondering if we should (a) bring ear plugs and (b) plan to spend most of our time in our (balcony) cabin to avoid continuous, omnipresent music.

Don't get me wrong, I'm all for music, and the live musicians on that cruise, in particular, were excellent ...... but not everywhere, not all the time. I remember going up on the pool deck very late one night, just wanting to look at the stars and appreciate where I was. I was the only person on the entire deck ...... but couldn't even hear the waves, or my own thoughts, over the quite loud canned music that was being played for, well, no one's enjoyment.

Let me see, if you want to be outside and don't need to be by the pool, there are lots of lounge chairs down on the promenade deck. If you choose a chair all the way forward, near the stairs to the helicopter pad, you are fairly well shielded from the wind.

On deck 12, there are lounge chairs all over the place, and unless you are right above the main pool, you wouldn't hear the music from the pool.

I don't remember music in the Solarium, if there was it was fairly quiet.

For inside places, try the Viking Crown (Vortex or Hollywood Odyssey) during the day if there isn't an event scheduled.

If there isn't an event going on in the Safari Club, the chairs at the back of the lounge are a wonderful place to sit and read overlooking the wake.

The Champagne Bar is also a good inside place to sit and read.

Bless you!! That's just precisely what I wanted to know! And just the fact that there is a list is very encouraging. (I did find one corner - only one - on the Vision - the one you describe as all the way forward on the promenade deck.)

.... also very good news about the Solarium. I keep looking in the pictures and thinking "how lovely" and then wondering if it actually sounds as peaceful as it looks.

Bless you!! That's just precisely what I wanted to know! And just the fact that there is a list is very encouraging. (I did find one corner - only one - on the Vision - the one you describe as all the way forward on the promenade deck.)

.... also very good news about the Solarium. I keep looking in the pictures and thinking "how lovely" and then wondering if it actually sounds as peaceful as it looks.

There's probably others I just know where I frequently go.:)

One more that a lot of people don't realize is that if the Windjammer is open, if you go to the back and go outside, the outdoor eating area is a wonderful quiet place. On the sides, it is protected from the wind and the wicker chairs/sofas as padded and quite comfy. Not many people realize it's back there or they assume it will be cold so it's less crowded than the Windjammer itself.

Our first cruise was on the Serenade of the Seas on an Alaskan cruise. I fell asleep many times in the Solarium while on self-imposed "Whale watchin" duty.

Already booked! - thanks tnt10. What an experience! It opened for booking in the a.m. and by early evening all but 7 of the 36 Junior Suites were booked! And most of this happening before you could even see the cruise on the web site (and you still can't book from there - the screen throws you into a continuous loop).

I'm greatly encouraged by folks' comments and anticipate some, er, "whale watching" in the Solarium myself.......

I'm greatly encouraged by folks' comments and anticipate some, er, "whale watching" in the Solarium myself.......

Before you get settled in with a book and drink of your choice, make sure to grab one of the towells they'll have in the solarium. Drape it across your chest so it'll catch the drool when your head slumps over from having fallen asleep.;)

Already booked! - thanks tnt10. What an experience! It opened for booking in the a.m. and by early evening all but 7 of the 36 Junior Suites were booked! And most of this happening before you could even see the cruise on the web site (and you still can't book from there - the screen throws you into a continuous loop).

Travel Dog,

We sailed on the Serenade a few years ago and found lots of quiet spots (in fact, I don't remember piped in music outside of the pool area (not the Solarium) or the Windjammer (where the music was very loud).

Lots of lounges were quiet during the day, as was the library, the solarium, etc. And we were on a full sailing with many sea days!

Haven't been on the Vision, but this class of ships is gorgeous- all glass.

Come join our roll call- we already have 40 people signed up!

Before you get settled in with a book and drink of your choice, make sure to grab one of the towells they'll have in the solarium.

Actually you now check out the towels from the towel station in the main pool deck. It's next to the entrance to the Solarium on the Starboard Side (same side as the Solarium Cafe).

Travel Dog,

We sailed on the Serenade a few years ago and found lots of quiet spots (in fact, I don't remember piped in music outside of the pool area (not the Solarium) or the Windjammer (where the music was very loud).

Lots of lounges were quiet during the day, as was the library, the solarium, etc. And we were on a full sailing with many sea days!

Haven't been on the Vision, but this class of ships is gorgeous- all glass.

Come join our roll call- we already have 40 people signed up!

Serenade, Jewel, Brilliance and Radiance are all ships of Radiance class. Vision belongs to Vision class which is similar in design to Radiance class but without many of the features that make Radiance class our favorite. Now that the loud and obnoxious art auctions have been removed from the Centrum on Radiance class ships, there are many quiet spots on the decks above the Centrum that are great spots to relax and catch up on your reading during the day. On occasion there may be some activity in the Centrum which might create some noise but most of the time you can read and relax during the day. In the evening there is music and dancing in the Centrum so you might want to retreat to your stateroom or balcony during those hours.:)

Archived