How does Princess return excess OBC?

gargoyle999

They will generally give you cash or a check back, depending on the amount in question. If its a really huge amount, they might send you a check from the main office, but I would hope you would not have an extra $1000 or so of OBC banked.

I'm buying OBC every pay period and expect to have an excess of funds on my account at the end of my cruise in Oct.

How does Princess refund the excess amount. Do we get a check at the end of the cruise?

I believe the bigger question is the order in which Princess uses OBC's if there are both refundable (such as you bought) and non-refundable (such as stockholder credits). Which are used first to "pay off" charges? It makes a difference at the end of the cruise if you don't use up all of the OBCs in your account. No one at Princess seems able to answer this question (my TA has asked for me).

I believe the bigger question is the order in which Princess uses OBC's if there are both refundable (such as you bought) and non-refundable (such as stockholder credits). Which are used first to "pay off" charges? It makes a difference at the end of the cruise if you don't use up all of the OBCs in your account. No one at Princess seems able to answer this question (my TA has asked for me).

I actually have the same question.

Right I have Visa OBC, Miltary OBC and TA OBC. I will not have enough to do everything I want on-board (excursions, spa, etc). And to not have a large bill at the end going to my credit card. I was thinking about buying some OBC, to kinda split my spending between to creidt card cycles.

But what it I figured wrong and had some OBC credit left over.

What is the hierarcy in the OBC.

I'm buying OBC every pay period and expect to have an excess of funds on my account at the end of my cruise in Oct.

How does Princess refund the excess amount. Do we get a check at the end of the cruise?

I once had this happen with a refundable OBC.

You will not be allowed to exit the ship with a positive balance on your account. They will either give the money to you in cash or get your approval to issue a credit to your credit card. In either event, expect an interaction where you must deal with this at the Pursor's desk.

RE: the question of which is used first - on that same cruise I had both non-refundable and refundable OBC's. These are coded differently in the Pursor's system. Although it all looks like one big balance, they "used" the non-refundable first. The positive balance I had (about 1/4 the amount of the refundable OBC) was provided to me in full.

....snip........RE: the question of which is used first - on that same cruise I had both non-refundable and refundable OBC's. These are coded differently in the Pursor's system. Although it all looks like one big balance, they "used" the non-refundable first. The positive balance I had (about 1/4 the amount of the refundable OBC) was provided to me in full.

Thanks for the feedback; that is what I expected and was hoping for. Your confirmation makes me feel better.

Why purchase OBC?

Because I can purchase OBC, get air miles for it, then get it refunded to me in a check (hopefully!). Money just comes from my checking account so I would just deposit it back but have some extra air miles out of it. :D

So yeah..I plan on having a few thousand dollars left on my account at the end of the cruise. ;)

Most frequent cruisers have seen the very long lines at Guest Relations that last evening (and morning) as folks wait to settle bills or deal with other issues. To us that is a lousy way to end a cruise (standing in a long line). Not sure a few hundred air miles is worth it, but I guess some think its important. We just have our cruise closed to a credit card that also gives us miles...but no hassles and no lines.

Hank

This leads to another question, which I hope you don't me asking. If you purchase online gifts etc (Internet time, wine etc.,) using a credit card - for yourself or for others and the trip is cancelled - does Princess credit back to you Credit Card acct??

I plan on doing this for friends on a forthcoming cruise.

Thanks

Not sure a few hundred air miles is worth it, but I guess some think its important.

Actually it is a few thousand I am talking about. :rolleyes:

Carnival delivers a check to your cabin the last morning so it was real easy.

Just to confirm... You have to go get your refund on Princess?

What happens if you don't, they keep the money? :confused:

Why purchase OBC? We have $1100 OBC but this was given by Princess when we booked. Is there an advantage to purchasing more? - it is a long cruise so we expect a bill at the end!!

We bought OBC a couple of years ago as we got the great rate of $2/£1. That had been the exchange rate when we booked the cruise.

We had a some left over and it was put back into the account it had come out of a few weeks later.

This leads to another question.....what is leftover OBC?? I must be doing something wrong since I have never experienced this(what must be) unique situation.:D

You are not alone! It was interesting. I just did a B2B on the Splendor and had a check issued after each cruise as I did what I am wanting to do for my Princess cruise. The check numbers between one cruise to the next only went up by about 40. So most people do not get refunds it would seem! :)

Archived