Bringing liquor onboard ?

JoanneF

I've tried to stay out of this one, but I'm compelled to make just a couple of comments.

As my dear father used to tell me when I tried to make such a justification, "Two wrongs don't make a right."

Agreed! I was responding to the comment about chosing to abide by rule. I would never tell you I didn't break the rules. Along with that, when someone wants to preach to me about this, the old saying applies.."People in glass houses..........."

If the rule (guideline) of not bringing alchol on board wasn't soley for the purpose of the cruise line to make even more money than they already are I would probably abide by it. It is not a banned substance or against the law to consume.

I will be bringing mine :D

I'm not sure if I have posted enough to be "qualified" to respond to this post without further inflaming the HAL frequent posters, but I'll have a go....

Bring it on board and enjoy it!

Why do so many of you care what other people do in their rooms?

Why do so many of you care what other people do in their rooms?

I don't give a - well, whatever people normally give - what you do in your cabin, so long as it's within the rules and guidelines of the ship. That goes for your cabin, the pool, the dining room and anywhere else.

I've been called the "fun police," but who elected you the judge to decide which are the "good" rules and which are the "bad" ones?

If the rule (guideline) of not bringing alchol on board wasn't soley for the purpose of the cruise line to make even more money

Ah, and could you point me to where this "truth" was revealed? Or did the revelation come to you in a dream? Percentagewise, the line makes more profit on wine than on liquor - yet you can bring on all the wine you'd like. How does that fit in to your theory?

I don't give a - well, whatever people normally give - what you do in your cabin, so long as it's within the rules and guidelines of the ship. That goes for your cabin, the pool, the dining room and anywhere else.

I've been called the "fun police," but who elected you the judge to decide which are the "good" rules and which are the "bad" ones?

Ah, and could you point me to where this "truth" was revealed? Or did the revelation come to you in a dream? Percentagewise, the line makes more profit on wine than on liquor - yet you can bring on all the wine you'd like. How does that fit in to your theory?

If you had read my first post on this board, you would know it was in response to a question about a hotel in FLL. In that post, I stated I was a long-time lurker, and felt I needed to post, as the hotel was terrible and usage. I know realize it was a mistake to even engage in the current thread. Frankly, and I truly say this with all due respect, I won't be losing any sleep over whether you think it's was OK for me to bring a bottle of booze on board. I did it, and I will do it again.

I could tell you that, between 4 of us, we drank half of it over 10 days and spent plenty on drinks, gambling, etc. But, I don't want to give the impression that I am trying to say what I did was within the rules, because it was not.

Clearly, you always follow every rule every time and always have. Given that, you have a right to tell people what they should and should not be doing.

Originally Posted by dakrewser

"I don't give a - well, whatever people normally give - what you do in your cabin, so long as it's within the rules and guidelines of the ship. "

Just out of curiousity... other than your moral outrage at rule breakers in general, can you explain to me how my enjoyment of a contraband bottle of booze in my stateroom adversely affects you ?

Any of you other guardians of moral rectitude are welcome to respond as well, because frankly I just don't get it.

Percentagewise, the line makes more profit on wine than on liquor - yet you can bring on all the wine you'd like.

I'm not entirely sure I buy this.

They probably sell a $15 bottle of wine (PA price) for $45. Which gives them $30 to play with. I'm guessing they might sell it for $10 per glass, which will get them about $35-40 to play with. Also, this comes with very little effort from a bartender.

Lets think about a 1 liter bottle of Stolichnaya vodka. $20 here in PA. A one liter bottle will make about 20 typical drinks. I'm guessing $6 is a pretty typical price for a Stoli cocktail. Add in another $20 expense for mixers and garnish and they still have $80 to play with. I dont think there is a really big demand for full bottles of vodka.

Again, I'm working with guesstimated numbers, but I doubt I'm really too far off. So Dave, do you know something that I dont know? Is HAL getting a really good deal on wine somewhere?

Tim

Just out of curiousity... other than your moral outrage at rule breakers in general, can you explain to me how my enjoyment of a contraband bottle of booze in my stateroom adversely affects you ?

Any of you other guardians of moral rectitude are welcome to respond as well, because frankly I just don't get it.

Mike, while I dont really agree with them, I can see their point. They feel that if you break this rule, well then, why not any rule. Its the old "Camel's nose under the tent" mentality. And it works both ways. If we dont question some of the rules that we percieve to be silly, whats the next rule they will come up with? Hey, we got away with banning booze, how about banning toothpaste. "We will be happy to sell you toothpaste at $19 per tube, therefore your no longer allowed to bring your own on board." Could cosmetics, or even clothing be far away? Preposterous, I know. But its an example of the "Camel's nose under the tent" again, but going the other way. Eventually, that Camel is going to be sleeping in someone's bed.

Its a never ending arguement that no one will ever win. But it sure makes for some lively debate :D

Tim

"Eventually, that Camel is going to be sleeping in someone's bed. "

*laffin* Tim - that is certainly going to give rise to a vision of conduct in the privacy of your own cabin that will cause some to shudder.....

Michmike - hopelessly declasse but enjoying life..

Tim,

I was hoping someone would calculate the profits HAL would make on a bottle of wine vs. a bottle of liquor. Seems to me liquor would make a bigger profit for them. Guess I'll have to ask my favorite bartender's opinion.

When I sailed on a Windjammer, back in the early 90s, pax were not allowed to take liquor aboard. And that is one of the most laid-back cruises you could ever take.

I'm not entirely sure I buy this.

They probably sell a $15 bottle of wine (PA price) for $45. Which gives them $30 to play with. I'm guessing they might sell it for $10 per glass, which will get them about $35-40 to play with. Also, this comes with very little effort from a bartender.

Lets think about a 1 liter bottle of Stolichnaya vodka. $20 here in PA. A one liter bottle will make about 20 typical drinks. I'm guessing $6 is a pretty typical price for a Stoli cocktail. Add in another $20 expense for mixers and garnish and they still have $80 to play with. I dont think there is a really big demand for full bottles of vodka.

Again, I'm working with guesstimated numbers, but I doubt I'm really too far off. So Dave, do you know something that I dont know? Is HAL getting a really good deal on wine somewhere?

Tim

Tim -

But they'll sell you the bottle of Stoli for $30. That's $10 profit compared to $15 on the wine (the $15 btl sells for $30). In any restaurant, wine is almost always a bigger profit item than booze.

-dave

Originally Posted by dakrewser

"I don't give a - well, whatever people normally give - what you do in your cabin, so long as it's within the rules and guidelines of the ship. "

OK, I see it now, you don't follow the rules because you can't rerad! Otherwise how can you ask that question in the same message in which you quote my answer?

Don't bother replying, there's no hope.

Tim -

But they'll sell you the bottle of Stoli for $30. That's $10 profit compared to $15 on the wine (the $15 btl sells for $30). In any restaurant, wine is almost always a bigger profit item than booze.

-dave

In a restaurant, yes, I would totally agree. But, not many people buy whole bottles of liquor to drink with their meal. I've never bought wine in a restaurant by the glass, always a full bottle.

But, one thing your forgetting is the $15 corkage fee for wine in the restaurant, if you bring your own. HAL wins either way. Thats why they dont care if you bring it aboard. On the other hand, with liquor, they (HAL)know there is no good logistical way to charge a corkage fee to recoup financial losses. So, they ban it altogether.

Thats how I see everything fitting into the theory. And, yet again, its all just a theory. Are we having fun yet? :)

Tim

Dave -

I am amazed you are allowing yourself to get dragged into this again. The previous thread isn't even cold yet - and here we go, a 1st time poster or someone mascarading as one - poses the same question.

This is a "no win" situation - those that choose to break the rules will continue to find any and every justification for doing so.

I think the whole purpose of this thread is merely to stir the pot - I for one, am not going to be drawn into this again, especially by the same posters. :)

In my opinion, these folks can do what they want - when HAL starts searching checked bags for smuggled liquor, I hope they go cry elsewhere.

Dave - I thought it was a straightforward question. You're one of the most vocal folks on the various booze threads so clearly it is important to you. I acknowledge that you want ALL the rules followed and that is your right (and ours to disagree with you). Now with the diapers in the pool, the chair hogs and the inappropriate dress in the dining room I can see where you could be affected directly but the smuggled booze in our cabins?

Don't give me the rules are rules and they're ALL inappropriate behavior line.. What is it particularly about the booze that gets under your skin?

If you knew somehow, once on board that there were 30 of us who had smuggled it on, would your trip be ruined? If you could pin down which of us were the guilty parties would you turn us in?

Inquiring minds want to know. Not here to be a pain in the butt... but other than the don't break ANY rules thing I still don't get it.

Don't give me the rules are rules and they're ALL inappropriate behavior line.. What is it particularly about the booze that gets under your skin?

I'm sorry, don't you understand English? I spent 15 years in the "imported beverage" industry, I put food on my kids' table by putting wine & liquor on other peoples'. It's not about the booze, it's all about the rules. That's the bottom line.

HERE WE GO AGAIN!!! LOL!!!

DO NOT take your booze to a public area outside your cabin...this is really in poor taste and a big NO NO from the standpoint of shipboard ettiquette.

ROSS...From Somerville!!!

I totally agree if you "sneak" don't take it out of your cabin. If you choose to follow the HAL rules and buy your $25+ 1 liter bottle of rum, vodka or booze of choice from Guest Services or Room Service can you mix a drink and take it with you to the pool or other places outside your cabin?

Last summer on our Noordam Baltic cruise we did this and didn't think twice and at the time didn't think we were violating any rules. We bought rum from Room Service and DP (Darling Parents) bought vodka from Room Service. When we left Stockholm it was a beautiful sail and a great sun set and we took a drink up to the top deck (Sports or Sun - forget what it's called on the Noordam) and grabbed some deck chairs and enjoyed the evening. This beautiful evening was one of the highlights of the cruise too. There was no wait staff from HAL up there - what is shipboard ettiquette in this situation?

I'm sorry, don't you understand English? I spent 15 years in the "imported beverage" industry, I put food on my kids' table by putting wine & liquor on other peoples'. It's not about the booze, it's all about the rules. That's the bottom line.

Hypocrite: a person who puts on a false appearance of virtue

Archived