Bringing liquor onboard ?

JoanneF

best advice came in the first couple of replies - how to go about doing it - after which it's up to each individual's conscience on whether or not they choose to.

for me, in my checked bag i've taken a quart-size bottle of premium vodka (usually glass double-sealed in watertight bags - and packed in the center with plenty of padding) and about a dozen cans of diet coke on every cruise i've sailed (carnival, princess, premier, and soon to be hal) - strictly for in room consumption (i agree that it's poor form to leave the room with them - when you're out-and-about, buy the ship's product).

to each his own... while debate is fun and lively, it's not likely to change anyone's positions on this subject. :)

You know, I can't help thinking that the booze issue may not be entirely about the profit...though I'm sure that's a big factor. As someone who has worked in fields where my job was to "contain" a certain population of people, I keep thinking about how difficult it would be to manage people's behavior and enforce rules on a ship out on the ocean. It's one thing to be in a land-based hotel where one has the police and paramedics minutes away, but a ship is an isolated environment, like an airplane. It would make perfect sense to me to try to limit the potential for out and out drunkenness on board a ship, since this could obviously lead to dangerous or excalating situations.

GOOD POINT...That is why they have the "rule"...so they can confiscate it if it is a problem. Again...read the real cruise contract pertaining to illegal/hazardous substances and you will see that the company has the right and jurisdiction to refuse it or deal with it...this is what you are talking about.

I always like to comment on the "Booze Boards" because. invariably, it brings out the black and white folks and the others who are not as rigid...always making for a lively and "spirited" discussion that gives me a chance to speak about "shipboard ettiquette". The cruise experience is actually a compilation of traditions that have come down to us from the time of the square rigged ships of the 15-1600s to the great transatlantic liners of yesterday. I find that when the traditions and customs are observed it makes for a wonderful cruise. Being comfortable and able to enjoy one's own cabin is part of that tradition and adds to the cruise experience.

ROSS

You know, I can't help thinking that the booze issue may not be entirely about the profit...though I'm sure that's a big factor. As someone who has worked in fields where my job was to "contain" a certain population of people, I keep thinking about how difficult it would be to manage people's behavior and enforce rules on a ship out on the ocean. It's one thing to be in a land-based hotel where one has the police and paramedics minutes away, but a ship is an isolated environment, like an airplane. It would make perfect sense to me to try to limit the potential for out and out drunkenness on board a ship, since this could obviously lead to dangerous or excalating situations.

The only flaw in your logic is that you can call up room service and order as many bottles of liquor you want. Or, you can bring 6 crates of wine and champagne onboard, unquestioned.

HAL makes NO effort to limit the potential for out and out drunkeness onboard its ships whatsoever.

Tim

I understand that. But I'm assuming that hard liquor bought on board is more expensive than what one can buy at the local liquor store? (I don't know, we didn't try it). And while people certainly can get plenty drunk on wine and champagne, they can get drunker quicker with hard liquor. I know that they don't actually try and prevent people from getting intoxicated on board, I was just pointing out that by making drinking on board expensive it is at least a partial deterrent, puts the brakes on so to speak.

And while people certainly can get plenty drunk on wine and champagne, they can get drunker quicker with hard liquor. I know that they don't actually try and prevent people from getting intoxicated on board, I was just pointing out that by making drinking on board expensive it is at least a partial deterrent, puts the brakes on so to speak.

I don't want to join this debate (again:eek: ) since it's gone on ad nauseum, but the statement above is untrue. Ask any skid row bum with empty bottle of cheap wine.

Heather, I think you are correct about wine and a person can get just as intoxicated with beer. I have been on over 20 cruises. We stopped counting several years ago. I have never once seen a drunk person on a ship. The longest cruise we ever took was 14 days. IMHO I don't think it matters whether a person brings alcohol from home or on a ship they will behave the same way. Why does anyone care what someone else brings in their luggage unless it is something that could do harm to other people?

Somehow, I don't think that necktie that you pack will be confiscated or will show up on the scanner as a weapon. I was thinking more in terms of a gun or a bomb. I don't think any of those people who packed a bottle of liquor were planning to do any harm to anyone with it.

This is getting pretty silly.

Oh, it was silly long before this. It's fascinating to see the gyrations people will go through in order to justify their anti-social actions! :)

It's fascinating to see the gyrations people (or person) will go through in order to keep this thread going. Try to get out of the house a little this weekend, the weather is quite nice.

Oh, by the way, I brought booze onboard. Will do it again. Probably more than last time.

Try to get out of the house a little this weekend, the weather is quite nice.

LOL, are you kidding?! Its been snowing continuously here for about a week. And there's no end in sight.

I agree, its time for a drink. I just uncorked a Super-Tuscan and have settled in next to a blazing fire with my laptop computer.

I think I'll gyrate and reply to every post on the board. Its going to be a long night. :D

Bumpity bump bump bump

Tim

And I just opened a 2001 Le Cigare Volant from Bonny Doon. Slainte!

Nice! Unfortunately, its not available here in PA. However, we did smuggle some up from a trip to the Carolinas a while back. Its a mighty fine wine. Cant uncork it though ;)

Slainte, indeed!

Tim

Oh, it was silly long before this. It's fascinating to see the gyrations people will go through in order to justify their anti-social actions!

Or the lengths they will go to pontificate (at 11 of 71 posts in this thread.. *S*)

There are certain actions that are inherently evil (what the law profs call malum in se) and there are those things that, while not inherenlty evil, are nevertheless prohibited by law (what they call malum prohibitum) . The anti-alcohol policy is in this second classification. Certainly taking alcohol on a cruise ship is against the rules of the cruise line; but it hardly qualifies as anti-social behavior. In any event, how you feel about obeying rules probably will govern your conduct. Since the downside risk is simply confiscation of the alcohol, I suspect many will continue to participate in the conduct. So be it, but please don't try to rationalize it into being proper/acceptable behavior.

I don't want to join this debate (again:eek: ) since it's gone on ad nauseum, but the statement above is untrue. Ask any skid row bum with empty bottle of cheap wine.

Heather-I'm sory but you're wrong. The alcohol level in a shot of hard liquor has lots more alcohol in it than a shot from a bottle of cheap Thunderbird type wino wine. So glass for glass a person will become intoxicated much sooner on hard liquor than on Champagne or wine. You can get loaded on any of them but the blood alcohol level of .06 will happen faster on hard (higher proof) liquor.

And I just opened a 2001 Le Cigare Volant from Bonny Doon. Slainte!

Mine has a twist off cap, kinda hard to get used to, but I think it is a growing trend. We had a birthday party for a good friend at a favorite local restaurant. We had in round one a Chateau St Jean Cing se pag. Then Coppola Cask, and my traveling buddy Shelby got stuck with the third bottle a Super Tuscan that I had turned down when I ordered the coppola he had only heard the waiter describe it, but didn't hear the pricing. It was $250. Ouch. His wife had sticker shock when they got the bill. It is hell going to dinner with wine snobs. I was the cheapskate out of the 3 couples other than the fourth couple who didn't order wine, but drank ours, as mine was $99.99 the Cing was $105.

The waiter had a very good night.

jc

Heather-I'm sory but you're wrong. The alcohol level in a shot of hard liquor has lots more alcohol in it than a shot from a bottle of cheap Thunderbird type wino wine. So glass for glass a person will become intoxicated much sooner on hard liquor than on Champagne or wine. You can get loaded on any of them but the blood alcohol level of .06 will happen faster on hard (higher proof) liquor.

Ummm... not really, alcohol doesn't care if it is 80 proof (40%) or Everclear 190 proof (95%), Wine 28 proof (14%) or beer 10 proof (5%) . The alcohol in each is identical. it is just the volume of alcohol consumed that matters. IE there is more alcohol in a class of bourbon 80 proof than the equal amount of wine 28 proof, but a class of wine, is pretty much identical to a shot of bourbon. In other words 5 classes of wine will get you equally drunk as 5 shots of bourbon. The alcohol doesn't care what it is mixed with. It isn't that smart.:D :rolleyes: :p

jc

Archived