Dublin Ireland

Is there anything to do right off the ship in Dublin at the port?

Also, any pubs to hang at with in walking distance or short cab ride?

The ship stays in port till 10:00, thinking that would be a lot of fun.

Thanks~

When we were in Dublin, they had buses picking us up at the port to take us into Dublin and dropped us off downtown. The buses parked on a side street and when it filled up it would take the passengers back to the cruise ship. Once you are downtown there was a lot to see as you walked around. Make sure you look at the light post. When you are ready to go back to the ship find the tour bus and they will take you back. Really easy!!

Have fun!!

Thanks~

:cool:Try the Guiness Tour in Dublin. Free Samples LOL:cool:

The port where the ship docks is a busy commercial dock area and walking through it is not something I would recommend. Shuttle buses will be available to take you to downtown Dublin but it is further away from the piers than most people would consider to be within "walking distance." We did find that traffic is very heavy in downtown Dublin in the morning and at one point when we had only moved a block in about fifteen minutes we abandoned the bus and walked a few blocks to get to our destination. Hop on Hop off bus provides a good way to see the major sites in Dublin, among them Trinity College where the Book of Kells is displayed, and the Guinness Storehouse.

:cool:Try the Guiness Tour in Dublin. Free Samples LOL:cool:

We absolutely loved the Guiness tour! I signed up because I thought my husband would like it, but it turned out to be my favorite excursion on the whole cruise (not because of the beer....too early for that) but because it was really interesting.

Thanks~

Have a GREAT time in Dublin, just be aware there are lots of "pick pockets" & make sure you don't set your purse down anywhere (just want to make you aware, it's common knowledge there).

If it's a nice day, go into St. Stevens Green Park, it is BEAUTIFUL !

My DH is Irish, so we've been there LOTS, and have friends & family all over Ireland. Have a wonderful time & hope you fall in love with the "green isle". :D

The bus will generally leave you at either O'Connell Street or outside Trinity College - both are very central. Dublin is a compact city and 90% of the points of interest will be within walking distance. Bar the GPO where the 1916 rising took place the Northside of the city doesnt have as many tourist attractions and I would recommend you stay on the Southside as much as possible as you will find it more tourist friendly (the river Liffey divides the city into North and South). Grafton Street and St Stephens Green are both nice places to visit if you have time and its a nice day. For the St James Gate (Guinness) tour you would probably need to take a taxi but it is no more than 5 mins from Trinity College. As you travel back towards the city you can stop off and visit Christchurch and Dublinia on route. Alternatively you could spend the day in the vicinity ot Trinity College/St Stephens Green area where there are numerous museums etc close by. Hop on hop off tours also operate around the city and are a good way of seeing everything including places like the Phoneix Park, the Papal Cross, Dail Eireann (where the Gov sits) and Áras an Uachtaráin (where the president lives), if you Google it they will show you where to pick up tickets. For pubs I would try the Brazen Head - close to Christchurch, this is Dublins oldest pub and has good food and live music most days/nights...as you might expect though there are hundreds of pubs to suit all tastes in Dublin and you will have no difficulty finding something. Incidents of pick pocketing, crime etc are no more than any other European city. We have over 12000 taxis here so you will never have any difficulty finding one. If you have any other queries just re-post and I will do my best to advise. Enjoy your time here. The link below may give you some additioanl information regarding the various attractions:

http://www.dublintourist.com/popular_dublin/

We absolutely loved the Guiness tour! I signed up because I thought my husband would like it, but it turned out to be my favorite excursion on the whole cruise (not because of the beer....too early for that) but because it was really interesting.

How long did you spend on this tour, I would like to go but afraid of using up precious time.

Thanks for all the good info on this thread, Karen

• 4 weeks later...
If you take the shuttle bus to downtown, there are a ton of shops, the college, and yes pubs too. Definetely recommend taking the shuttle!!

We are going with Princess. Did the cruiseline provide the shuttle? Did you pay or was it free? Did you prebook the shuttle or did the cruiseline only let you know about the shuttle once you were onboard?

Lots of history, architecture, charm, culture, etc., to enjoy in Dublin. Grafton Street has lots of shops and is nearby Trinity College. Much depends on what you seek and like. Below are some of my visual samples to preview certain of the options in Dublin.

THANKS! Enjoy! Terry in Ohio

For lots of interesting details, great visuals, etc., from our July 1-16 Norway Coast/Fjords/Arctic Circle cruise experience from Copenhagen on the Silver Cloud, check out this posting. Don’t be shy and feel free to ask any questions of interest. This posting is now over 39,800 views. Appreciate those who have “tuned in”.

http://www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1227923

At Dublin’s Trinity College, here is a distinctive statute in the center of this campus founded in 1592 by Queen Elizabeth I.:

DublinTrinityStatute.jpg

The bronze “Molly Malone” statute is at the bottom of Grafton Street in the heart of Dublin. Grafton Street has lots of fun and interesting shopping options and is right next to Trinity College.:

DublinStrStatute.jpg

Dublin’s Christ Church Cathedral dates back to Anglo-Normandy conquerors in the 1172-1220 period.:

DublinChurch.jpg

For seven centuries, Dublin Castle was the symbol of English rule, including the round, 1226 Record Tower and the Chapel Royal at the right.:

DublinCastle.jpg

Temple Bar is the center of Dublin’s entertainment district:

DublinTempleBar.jpg

Dublin’s Custom House sits on the Liffey River and was completed in the early 1800’s.:

DublinDomeBldg.jpg

As far as I am aware the shuttles are free and are right outside the ship (I could stand corrected though as I have never sailed into my home port!).

The City Centre is 10-15 minutes drive away depending on traffic, avoid usual rush hours or it could take twice that if not more.

:D This is my reason for going exactly. (For the hubby, but I have a feeling it will be really cool.)

• 1 year later...

Don't know if you still check cruise critic as this post seems to have been awhile ago. Sounds like you live in Dublin.

We would like to mix our day. Genealogy + a tour if we can. What are the hours of the genealogy sources? We have been to Dublin before, but there are a few things he may want to check for this time if it works out. O/W we will probably take your suggestion and do the HOHO bus. That always seems to give you an overview and we only need a refresher.

Pat

patcrawford22@aol.com

The bus will generally leave you at either O'Connell Street or outside Trinity College - both are very central. Dublin is a compact city and 90% of the points of interest will be within walking distance. Bar the GPO where the 1916 rising took place the Northside of the city doesnt have as many tourist attractions and I would recommend you stay on the Southside as much as possible as you will find it more tourist friendly (the river Liffey divides the city into North and South). Grafton Street and St Stephens Green are both nice places to visit if you have time and its a nice day. For the St James Gate (Guinness) tour you would probably need to take a taxi but it is no more than 5 mins from Trinity College. As you travel back towards the city you can stop off and visit Christchurch and Dublinia on route. Alternatively you could spend the day in the vicinity ot Trinity College/St Stephens Green area where there are numerous museums etc close by. Hop on hop off tours also operate around the city and are a good way of seeing everything including places like the Phoneix Park, the Papal Cross, Dail Eireann (where the Gov sits) and Áras an Uachtaráin (where the president lives), if you Google it they will show you where to pick up tickets. For pubs I would try the Brazen Head - close to Christchurch, this is Dublins oldest pub and has good food and live music most days/nights...as you might expect though there are hundreds of pubs to suit all tastes in Dublin and you will have no difficulty finding something. Incidents of pick pocketing, crime etc are no more than any other European city. We have over 12000 taxis here so you will never have any difficulty finding one. If you have any other queries just re-post and I will do my best to advise. Enjoy your time here. The link below may give you some additioanl information regarding the various attractions:

http://www.dublintourist.com/popular_dublin/

We did this cruise on Princess last May. I booked HOHO tour online while in the USA, saved money and time.

It seems to me that the shuttle might have been $8.00 round trip. But I do not remember. I am sure that you will NOT want to walk it. Far enough to waste time walking through an area that was not at all scenic.

We did not do the Guinness tour...people who did loved it. It was a stop on the HOHO route. We saw St. Patrick's Cathedral and the Book of Kells at Trinity College. Tip: wait until after 1:00pm to avoid the long line for the Book of Kells.

Don't know if you still check cruise critic as this post seems to have been awhile ago. Sounds like you live in Dublin.

We would like to mix our day. Genealogy + a tour if we can. What are the hours of the genealogy sources? We have been to Dublin before, but there are a few things he may want to check for this time if it works out. O/W we will probably take your suggestion and do the HOHO bus. That always seems to give you an overview and we only need a refresher.

Pat

patcrawford22@aol.com

Hi Pat,

I am not the person you are addressing, but I also live in Dublin. Have a look at the website of the National Archives of Ireland.

http://www.nationalarchives.ie/

In the 'Genealogy' section it states:

'The National Archives cannot carry out genealogical research for readers or correspondents but it does provide a Genealogy Service where members of the public can consult a professional genealogist about sources relating to their family history. This service is provided free of charge.

The Genealogy Service is available to the public from Monday to Friday, from 10.00–13.30 and is located on Floor 5 of the National Archives, adjacent to the Reading Room. The Genealogy Service is intended primarily for first-time researchers and visitors but more experienced researchers are also welcome to use it.'

http://www.nationalarchives.ie/genealogy1/genealogy-service/

The Reading Room is open from 10:00 - 17:00, Monday to Friday if you wish to consult publicly available records. A reader's ticket can be obtained on the day of visiting on production of photographic identification, a passport for example.

The National Archives is located in Bishop Street which is a short walk from St Stephen's Green in the centre of Dublin. If you require further information please let me know and good luck with your research.

Dermot

We were interested in the Guinness tour but heard you actually don't go through the brewery? Is that true? Video of the brewery?

We plan on doing the HOHO but would also like to know if the shuttle but is provided by the Dublin Tourist board of the ship tour?

Thanks!

We will be visiting Dublin this July and I would personally like to thank ALL of those from Ireland for sharing such a wealth of information. We cannot wait to visit Ireland!!Thanks for starting this helpful thread!

Linda

We were interested in the Guinness tour but heard you actually don't go through the brewery? Is that true? Video of the brewery?

We plan on doing the HOHO but would also like to know if the shuttle but is provided by the Dublin Tourist board of the ship tour?

Thanks!

http://www.guinness-storehouse.com/en/Inside.aspx

The Guinness storehouse is a visitor centre which displays exhibits giving the history of the product, how it is made and the advertising methods used to promote it worldwide. The building is part of the large Guinness site, known as St James's Gate, which includes the brewery, offices and a transport yard. The history of the storehouse can be found here.

http://www.sisk.ie/uk/expertise/public-buildings/guinness-storehouse-dublin

You are correct that visitors do not enter the brewery itself. The admission price includes a pint of Guinness, or a soft drink, in the Gravity bar situated at the top of the storehouse and which commands fine views of Dublin. Opinions may differ over whether a visit to the storehouse is worth the admission price. But what cannot be denied is the huge commercial success it has been for the marketing department of Diageo. The storehouse is patronised by American presidents and the crowned heads of Europe as the photographs on its walls proudly demonstrate.

We will be in Dublin for a few days in mid May. It wasn't in our original trip plans, we'll be returning home from Rome. When we saw that our flight stopped for a few hours in Dublin.....well stopping in Dublin and not leaving the Airport was just plain WRONG! So we changed flight plans and now have 3 days between flights :D So now I'm in search of a nice localy owned hotel, any suggestions?

Thanks You, Anne

Archived