An OCD review of Golden/Hawaii-Pictures!!

hermajestylanie

How was he able to get the kids drink package, it sounds great!!!:D

Anybody can get it! Isn't that great? I believe it used to be only for kids, but was so popular anyone can get it now. it is just like the soda package, but more expensive and you can get more things. And it is great for us becasue neither of us drink.

FYI - Those kids are not allowed in the hot tubs under the age of 11 or

12 AND if they are in the tubs they need to be supervised by their parents.

We encountered this same scenario last week on theSapphire, and one

kid was taking dives from the side of the hot tub while his parents just

looked on from their lounge chairs. The pool attendants were USELESS!!!

PRINCESS -- ENFORCE YOUR RULES PLEASE! WHY SHOULD WE PASSENGERS HAVE TO SUFFER THE BRUNDT OF YOUR INABILITY TO

ENFORCE YOUR OWN RULES????

Other than that, the kids were all fantastic!:D

They were pretty well behaved. We didn't really have much of a problem. I agree with you, the staff doesn't enforce the rules. I think they just are so careful about not wanting to offend people, that they offend other people! The kids get a bit crazy in the main pool areas, but I think you kind of have to expect a little bit of that. I didn;t notice any kids in the adult only area though, which was nice!

Our next plan was to grab some lunch, so we headed to the Donatello dining room where we were welcomed and promptly seated with a lovely couple from Southern CA. They were seasoned Princess travelers, but this was their first time doing embarkation day lunch in the MDR. It was relaxing and I am glad we did not do the buffet. The couple we were with said they will always plan on the MDR for lunch from now on.

Lunch day 1 menu:

5577628273_b83c93755b.jpg

5578215150_5672c9a1b6.jpg

I got the chickpea and root vegetable soup, beef tenderloin, and Nutella (score!) ice cream. You can tell the ice cream is full fat, because it is so creamy and rich and super tasty! The ice cream on Princess is the best I have had and they have so many different rotating flavors (drool).

5577646271_f7cf5a2d18.jpg

5578233436_b4c52535f0.jpg

5577648505_1d2d743ee2.jpg

Wow, that is lunch? It looks terrific!!

I don't think I will every have a bad cruise! Even if we have to miss every port, just being able to get away and be in that atmosphere is wonderful! I can't complain when my meals are there ready for me to eat and someone comes in twice a day to clean up after me! Thats what vacation is all about!
That's exactly how my wife and I feel. We were on the Golden in January, and we almost did miss every port. We had to skip both Kauai and Lahaina due to weather, the Harbor Master closed both ports. Sure it was disappointing, but we still got to enjoy everything on the ship those two days. It turned out to be our best cruise ever, despite missing half the ports.

Hi Hermajestylanie! Great review! We were on the Golden in Feb. I was so glad to read that you didn't like the chicken salad in the IC! I'm addicted to my local deli's chicken salad, and was looking forward to having my fix onboard. But after looking at the goopy mess through the glass, I didn't even try it! I remember reading you didn't like seafood, so you probably didn't try the shrimp salad there in the IC. It was wonderful! Am trying to recreate it right now in my fridge. Princess doesn't offer a "recipe" for that, I tried, so I posted on the current cruise roll call & the next one, hoping someone will ask how its made. I have 6 shrimp soaking in a little fresh lemon juice, fresh chopped mint... so we'll see. In the mean time, I think I'll go have a little chicken salad! :D

Good to know I am not alone! It just tasted like mayo to me. Have you tried emailing Princess for the recipe? I have seen that people have had sucess with doing that on these boards... May be worth a try?! Good luck- hope it turns out for you!

Wow, that is lunch? It looks terrific!!

Yes! And the first day too! I didn't see the buffet that day, so I have nothing to compare it to, but it has to beat it. It was wonderful in the MDR for lunch! One of the best lunches the whole cruise!

That's exactly how my wife and I feel. We were on the Golden in January, and we almost did miss every port. We had to skip both Kauai and Lahaina due to weather, the Harbor Master closed both ports. Sure it was disappointing, but we still got to enjoy everything on the ship those two days. It turned out to be our best cruise ever, despite missing half the ports.

Oh, that is sad that happened to you guys, there are wonderful ports. But, with every cruise that is the risk you take. That happened to use in the Caribbean- our course changed hourly and we missed a port as well. But, like you said, it is still worth it. We happen to love sea days a lot! And it does give you a nice excuse to go back! :D

I know this is getting a bit food heavy, but I go on a cruise to pig out! Its not all we did though :) I love the food and before I went I wanted to see all the menus. So, I figured I would post them all so others can see them too!

We just made the Welcome Aboard Show, but had to stand in the back of the Princess theatre. Go early to the shows! They fill up quickly, especially in the Vista lounge.

5577592123_61a59d7784.jpg

The singers and musical numbers were terrible, but the comedian gave a good pre- show and we got the see the CD and assistant CD. Ours was the last cruise the current dance performers were on until their break, so maybe that could have been why. But, we will not be attending any more musical shows. During this point the ship really started rocking. The captain said winds of 35 MPH and swells 18-20 feet. We tried to open a side door to go outside and were almost blown away! Husband used all his strength to yank the door open and I wouldn’t even go out.

This was not that day, but a much calmer day regarding the wind. Husband loves these crazy hair pictures of me, and there are quite a few of them to laugh over!:

5577787847_d10b7afe25.jpg

We can really feel the ship moving now, and we both keep trying to even walk in a straight line! Both of us are really tired, so we head back to the room and read the Patter for the next day. It might be hard to get everything in that we want to do! Also, there are a lot of movies to watch on the TV in the cabin, and some newer ones as well. We watched part of the new Alice in Wonderland and husband was excited that ESPN was available. They were also playing March Madness while we were on board, but not all the games. And sometimes there was an airing delay. We are to set our clocks back one hour tonight, and tomorrow is St. Patrick’s Day! I was hoping that there would be corned beef on the menu for tomorrow's dinner, but I guess they don't change the menu like that.

What a wondeful review. We are hopeful about going on the cruise to Hawaii. Alaska first.

We love foodies.

I don't think I will every have a bad cruise! Even if we have to miss every port, just being able to get away and be in that atmosphere is wonderful! I can't complain when my meals are there ready for me to eat and someone comes in twice a day to clean up after me! Thats what vacation is all about!

Maybe Cruise Critic can add a feature to their posts that are like facebook.

Click "like" if you agree!

Yikes, I am noticing all my bad typing like "skyies" for "skies" and "galss" for "glass." Sorry about that folks, my fingers get ahead of me and I am not spell checking.

Dinner was at the Crown Grill tonight. We got a great booth right by the window. It was a larger table.

5580388600_046bda5549.jpg

5580387898_079207f9de.jpg

We happened to gorge ourselves silly. It was soo good! Not to be missed, worth every penny and then some.

5580402580_2a25d756cf.jpg

5579817331_b41a28f911.jpg

5579817331_b41a28f911.jpg

5579816595_231a544635.jpg

They bring out a tray of all the differnt cuts of meat and take the time to explain them to you. It is nice to see.

That just adds to the charm of your review. Very enjoyable. I think you mentioned that you are from upstate Ca. Check out the cruises to Alaska from San Fran. on the Sea Princess. Maybe not as nice as the Golden. It should be nice though. We have sailed its sister ship the Dawn and it was lovely. We sailed just before Christmas and they had a champaign pyramid in the atrium. It was like a Christmas tree. They also had a snow machine. Very Cool! That was our first 7 day cruise.

That just adds to the charm of your review. Very enjoyable. I think you mentioned that you are from upstate Ca. Check out the cruises to Alaska from San Fran. on the Sea Princess. Maybe not as nice as the Golden. It should be nice though. We have sailed its sister ship the Dawn and it was lovely. We sailed just before Christmas and they had a champaign pyramid in the atrium. It was like a Christmas tree. They also had a snow machine. Very Cool! That was our first 7 day cruise.

Good idea with the "like!"

Yep, we are near SF and are seriously considering an Alaska cruise out of SF sometime in the next few year hopefully! A snow machine sounds pretty great! I had no idea a cruise ship would have something like that! Do you have a picture of it? I would be interested to see that.

Good idea with the "like!"

Yep, we are near SF and are seriously considering an Alaska cruise out of SF sometime in the next few year hopefully! A snow machine sounds pretty great! I had no idea a cruise ship would have something like that! Do you have a picture of it? I would be interested to see that.

I am sure Janet has one somewhere. She is "our" Journalist.

I just go along for the ride. She does keep a journal...if we remember and have the time.

Yours is one of the best reviews I have ever read on CC. You are not even half done.

Great stuff. I am going to have Janet sit down and read through your Thread. Perhaps I can help to motivate her to cruise to Hawaii (it wouldn't take much). We want to sail the west coast before we start on the east coast and the carribean. We will have to wait.

My daughter graduates from B.U. next spring and we should attend her Master's recital and her graduation. So, we have to take a short sabbatical from cruising for now.

Perhaps some short excursions locally in SoCal. Cruises to nowhere and such.

I will look for the pictures in the "Dawn" Atrium.

Edited by STEVENJAN

Glad you enjoyed the CG. In looking at your picture, I just realized that that is the exact table we had in February.....:):):)

Bob

Great review. I love your photos. I can't wait for the next installment. We travel to Hawaii alot but haven't done a cruise to Hawaii. Had you been to Hawaii before? Just curious, would you do a cruise or a land tour next time you visit Hawaii?

Yours is one of the best reviews I have ever read on CC. You are not even half done.

Great stuff. I am going to have Janet sit down and read through your Thread. Perhaps I can help to motivate her to cruise to Hawaii (it wouldn't take much). We want to sail the west coast before we start on the east coast and the carribean. We will have to wait.

My daughter graduates from B.U. next spring and we should attend her Master's recital and her graduation. So, we have to take a short sabbatical from cruising for now.

Perhaps some short excursions locally in SoCal. Cruises to nowhere and such.

I will look for the pictures in the "Dawn" Atrium.

Hehe- it doesn't take very much to motivate me either! Thanks for the compliment! I am glad you are enjoying it. It is fun to go back thru everything and re-live it again anyways. The only problem I am running into is looking at all my food pictures! I said I would be good again after the cruise, but those pictures make me hungry. I have already eaten half a box (well, a bit more than that...) of Godiva truffles since I have been home!

Congrats to your daughter- that is a great accomplishment, you must be very proud. And that is a very good reason to take a break, but short cruises can be just as enjoyable!

Thanks for looking for the pictures, but I don't want to put you out. Don't worry about it if they are not easy to find. But it sounded like you guys had an enjoyable time to Alaska!

Glad you enjoyed the CG. In looking at your picture, I just realized that that is the exact table we had in February.....:):):)

Bob

Very cool! And how can you not enjoy the CG. Sooo good! Husband wanted to go again while on the cruise, but I though one pig out session was enough for us. We will go again if on another cruise with the option in the future.

Great review. I love your photos. I can't wait for the next installment. We travel to Hawaii alot but haven't done a cruise to Hawaii. Had you been to Hawaii before? Just curious, would you do a cruise or a land tour next time you visit Hawaii?

Thanks! I have been to Oahu twice before, but I was in high school both times, so it was a little bit ago. It was more affordable to cruise there versus only doing it by land (plane fare is crazy!), but you do miss out on really being able to have a more intimate expereeince with the islands. I love cruising, so it is hard to turn that down, but we have discussed hitting Maui for a week or so because we really enjoyed our time there. Its a toss up! Maybe fly to Hawaii and spend some time there and then do an island cruise- best of both worlds!

Oh, I just noticed you are from Yorba Linda! That is where I grew up- my parents have been there for 35 years! Crazy!

What a great review with great pictures. We'll be on the Golden in May to Alaska, so I am enjoying the pics.

Was Noodles Levenstein the comedian at any of the shows?

Thanks and happy cruising! Noodles was on the ship- he performed on the 23rd I believe. I thought he was pretty funny. He told a lot of cruise ship jokes, which we enjoy!

I am still impressed with how relaxing princess is, and how much there is to do that is worthwhile. Although, not much goes on at night. We barely see anyone out and about past 9 or 10pm. I have been too tired to make it up to Skywalker’s for late night dancing, but I have heard some couples say it is fun. Our cabin has also been very quiet. I haven’t had to use earplugs at all. We have good neighbors and are in a good part of the ship apparently. Looking forward to the weather tomorrow. Still feeling stuffed. Ate waaaay too much today- once I get started it is hard to stop. Plan to go to the gym again.

3/20/11

I went to the gym at 7:30AM, but was actually was able to sleep for 30 more minutes today. I haven't had to use an alarm clock since boarding the ship! Husband again did not come to the gym with me. Big surprise! The gym was great again- I got on a machine right away. So, although around 7-8 AM is the busiest time, it does work out occasionally. Don’t be deterred if you are an early morning workout person- it is not that bad! We went to the buffet again and actually got a good seat just outside by the window.

5580840210_b23750b523.jpg

I was still a bit full from the pig out last night, so I took it easy.

5580839734_b8441f60ce.jpg

The weather is great now! It is forecasted to be a high of mid 70s today. Finally! The ship has stabilized and is not rocky at all now.

5580255131_c61f081e14.jpg

We of course headed out to the morning trivia once again with our team and got 13/20. We scheduled a time to play shuffleboard today with our teammates and I am excited! We have been watching a TV show called Family Game Night on TV in the US and there is a game where they push large sliders across the floor into an area with numbers. It reminds me of shuffle board and I have been craving some shuffleboard at home!

There was a 75 percent off sale in the Bernini dining room today in the morning. I did buy something- a cute black princess tote for $10. Mainly I just wanted something sturdy that said Princess on it. I think it will be my new gym bag.

We again attended ukulele class today. Dave from Eula was our substitute and it was interesting to learn different techniques from him.

He posed for my picture!

5580255617_eafbeabe6c.jpg

He was a great teacher, not as technical as the CD Dave. They have different styles. I think the CD Dave may be good for beginners because his style is sticking to the basics and sticking to how you are supposed to do things, while Dave from Eula may be good for more advance players because he teaches alternate ways of doing things.

We went to buffet for lunch, though we always check the MDR lunch menu first. It just has not interested us lately or we haven’t had time to devote to having lunch in the MDR. The buffet was pretty good today. I find their chicken dishes to be the best and the salad bar has a nice variety.

Chicken and salad:

5580256265_e0565fde95.jpg

Sanwich, chicken, beef stew with rice, mashed potatoes/potato salad:

5580256965_ae718eb814.jpg

For dessert we got a coconut roll, blueberry pie, hazelnut chocolate tart, and yogurt blueberry cupcake. The tart was to die for! They also come in peanut butter chocolate.

5580257511_ebcb51da93.jpg

After lunch husband wanted to go to speed Suduko in the Wheelhouse Bar, it was medium level. He went a couple days ago to the easy one and we were a couple minutes late. He came in second, but would have won if we got there on time. He was bummed because he wanted a gold medal! This round was hard, but a couple of guys finished really quickly!

5580259429_05493baa29.jpg

We spent some time enjoying the weather outside and laid out a bit, actually found some chairs on the second level near the main pool. However, this was just luck as the chair hogs were out in full force today.

5580843766_5afa5b95dd.jpg

5580258705_c307e3ee18.jpg

We went to shuffleboard, which was hard to find. We played a few games with a couple of couples and we were not a bad team! We did really well.

5580260021_17ae5275fc.jpg

5580846166_2d12ab5131.jpg