All Australians overcharged by HAL

hommar2

If we went down the hall of Navigation Deck and knocked on each door to ask, "What did you pay for this cruise", we probably would get a different response from most everyone. I know for sure we pay more by booking through our PCC but we choose to do that for our own reasons.

How often does it happen that DH and I pay full HAL price for our Suite and then read a number of fellow Suite guests got an upsell for $199? Of course, we've paid a good deal more.

Same on airplanes. Few pay the same price.

We all want the lowest possible but we're not going to get it.

Take it or leave it. IMO

If the product they are selling seems worth the price they are asking TO YOU, pay it. If you don't think that product is worth that price, refuse the booking and find something else.

IMO

Well...

There is a lot of this going on in Canada where you can pay 4000 CAD or more for a car than in the US (the same car). If purchased in the US, the warranty is often voided. Its not like you can choose not to buy a car.

Canadians can buy cruises through US agencies at US prices.

Of course people are going to complain about higher prices. Its the same cruise - same value. It departs and returns to the same ports. No one likes to think they are being treated like chumps - which the "market conditions" explanation seems to scream out at you.

The remedy is probably to be found by putting the screws governments at election time. Find out who is gouging and who is not and adjust public policy accordingly.

Market forces do not represent an altar that I will sacrifice my finances or well-being before.

Smooth sailing...

I understand the frustration but the company has set a policy (for now) and that is what it is. I agree we should all pay the same amount for the same thing but that isn't happening even among U.S. bookings, Canadian bookings or any other. It is just as 'unfair' , if you will, for the cruise line to sell me the suite for $10,000 but someone else for $6,800. Different reason, same end result.

I agree not only Aussies are impacted by the restrictive policies of some cruise companies like HAL. I took the following from the website of a leading US cruise discounter (..... indicates removal of the TA name). Unfortunately booking through HAL in Australia with our best Aussie internet discounter means almost 25% extra . It speaks for itself!:(:(:(

We are able to offer the deeply discounted U.S. rates of most of the cruise lines we represent to citizens of other countries. However, the following cruise lines now prohibit all U.S. travel agencies (including ………..) from selling cruises to citizens of countries other than the U.S. and Canada, unless they have a residence in the U.S. or Canada. This is not a ………. policy or a U.S. government policy, it is a corporate policy instituted by each of these cruise lines.

Celebrity

Costa Cruises

HollandAmerica

Oceania Cruises

Princess

Royal Caribbean

Star Clippers

We have booked HAL cruises through US agents and have never been denied boarding.

Is Australia different from New Zealand? From NZ, I was able to book on-line directly with HAL's web site, at the price quoted in US dollars, with a credit card which will convert the currency as listed on the day.

The prices quoted on line are often lower than those published in the brochures.

Is Australia different from New Zealand? From NZ, I was able to book on-line directly with HAL's web site, at the price quoted in US dollars, with a credit card which will convert the currency as listed on the day.

I used to be able to book direct on HAL's website in US dollars but now from Australia can only access fares in AUD dollar fares on their website - at the same higher rate as offered by their Australian agent.

I know HAL won't allow us to use US TAs but you would think they would allow us to at least book direct with them in US dollars as I've done in the past.

Bescotti, I agree - after stomaching regional pricing, having to swallow HAL's rate of exchange is a pill.

UKBayern, I absolutely agree - it's more than the money. People feel unloved. My example was just an attempt to put things in terms other posters might identify with.

I've participated in many regional pricing threads. As a Canadian resident, I'm under the same regional pricing umbrella as the United States. This issue doesn't affect my pocketbook.

I only post when I haven't seen the OP on similar discussions before, and they sound mad or hurt. Discussions about the economic models involved would make me feel even more unloved if I were OP.

So, I post to tell the OP that I "get it".

To add my tupppence worth, on top of any inflated price that we Antipodeans pay for cruise departures other than East Coast of Australia, there is the air fare to be considered. Across the Ditch to New Zealand is okay - less than $200 one way on special. Other than that, we are hit up from $1800 plus to UK/Europe and $1200 plus to West Coast US and $2500 plus to Canada. I believe that being subjected to cruise prices that are 30% higher in the destination country is a little insulting. As a number of people have observed, if it can be done for flights and accommodation, why should cruises be so different? Just doesn't make much sense other than corporate cunning.

I understand the frustration but the company has set a policy (for now) and that is what it is. I agree we should all pay the same amount for the same thing but that isn't happening even among U.S. bookings, Canadian bookings or any other. It is just as 'unfair' , if you will, for the cruise line to sell me the suite for $10,000 but someone else for $6,800. Different reason, same end result.

S7S, I fully understand. You are presenting an apples and oranges argument though. (You knew I would say that.);)

Everyone copes with cruise cabin and airline seat prices that appear influenced more by the movement of the stars than by more rational market forces. What is argued here is that some nationals get to pay a premium just because they are not booking from the US. I have seen people pay as much as twice the fare for the same cabin simply because they booked from the UK. I don't know if that is an extreme example or not, but it would burn my bacon.

As I have said, Canadians can book through US travel agents, but that puts Canadian travel agents at a disadvantage.

The stakes are pretty high.

Smooth sailing...

I do not know if Canadian TA's are at a disadvantage. We live in Canada. When we cruise, we often get 2 quotes from a Canadian TA-one in USD and one in CAD. The difference in price is purely attributable to the respective cruise lines 'official' exchange rate. This preset rate is often out of sync with the actual market. So, a cruise sold by our Canadian TA based in USD may be higher or lower that the identical cruise quoted by that TA in CAD. We also get a quote from some US on line TA's. Two cruises ago, our Canadian TA actual had the best price and it happened to be in CAD.

My understanding is Australians and UKers are not given this option. They are directed to one quote-an overinflated cruise company controlled quote based essentially on market manipulation and the abilty of the few cruise line parent companies to act in an oligopical manner. It is gouging-pure and simple.

Iancal, we Canadians are the luckiest cruisers in the world.

Not only do we get "U.S. pricing" but we can play that exchange rate game.

Over the years, I've saved MUCH more on exchange (comparing the rate now, guessing likely rate at final payment date, picking US$ or C$) than with discount travel agents, or onboard credit.

Not even U.S. cruisers get those choices. Plus, if I book with an Ontario travel agency (is this true elsewhere in Canada?) the government automatically protects me from travel agent defalcation. Kween Karen and others should could have used that kind of protection a couple years ago!

So, if we're luckier than U.S. residents, then those in Australia, UK, European Union - pretty much everywhere else - have no luck at all.

I wonder if the Asia market will boom fast enough for me to live to see the dominant market readjust. Australasia and Asia would be getting the deals, and North Americans would be on the outside looking in.

I do not know if Canadian TA's are at a disadvantage. We live in Canada. When we cruise, we often get 2 quotes from a Canadian TA-one in USD and one in CAD. The difference in price is purely attributable to the respective cruise lines 'official' exchange rate. This preset rate is often out of sync with the actual market. So, a cruise sold by our Canadian TA based in USD may be higher or lower that the identical cruise quoted by that TA in CAD. We also get a quote from some US on line TA's. Two cruises ago, our Canadian TA actual had the best price and it happened to be in CAD.

My understanding is Australians and UKers are not given this option. They are directed to one quote-an overinflated cruise company controlled quote based essentially on market manipulation and the abilty of the few cruise line parent companies to act in an oligopical manner. It is gouging-pure and simple.

American's are at a disadvantage to much of the developed world in wages and healthcare......and going down fast! If we could get a level playing field around the world of universal healthcare, universal cruise rates, universal wages, universal penions, you get the idea.............would everyone feel better?

If you have used a US TA in the past you can still use them.

I have used a USA TA in the past, but when contacted this time he was very apologetic that he is now unable to handle any HAL or Princess reservations, but can still do Celebrity at this point. When we go onto HAL site to book, it automatically goes through to Travel The World in Sydney on my 'puter....:confused: I was lucky enough to get a good price from TTW this time, but in the past have had to pay higher prices than others. Mind you, when asking about upgrades or upsells, was basically told....not going to happen. As an Australian I would prefer to deal with AFTA, but not at the risk of so great a difference in prices. Oh Well! If I want to cruise I just have to wear it I guess....:(

fann1sh....we are indeed very fortunate. The travel insurance that one automatically receives is based on Provincial regulation. We do not have this in Alberta where we currently live. I think that we had it in Quebec and just maybe in British Columbia as well. I cannot remember any more-must be age creeping up.

We also play the currency and you are correct...we often gain as much or more on the currency than we get on OBC's. It is particularly advantageous when the currency moves a considerable distance in a short time because for some strange reason the cruise companies seem to preset the exchange rate for 3-6 months in advance. We keep US and CAD bank accounts, as well as US and CAD Visa cards. We have a stash of GBP's and Euro's for our trip this month that we bought when both currencies were really low.

American's are at a disadvantage to much of the developed world in wages and healthcare......and going down fast! If we could get a level playing field around the world of universal healthcare, universal cruise rates, universal wages, universal penions, you get the idea.............would everyone feel better?

Actually, I don't get the idea.

Have to say that like it or not, it is part of our culture in the UK. When booking a cruise, or for that matter a package vacation, a deposit is placed which is a contract to pay the balance at a set date. Cancel the cruise, or holiday, then lose the deposit (insurance will take care of illness). We don't get to change our mind on a whim which actually seems fairer to me. In the States you can put the deposit down, then withdraw it and those cabins which may have been available to all now only become available after final payment date when a number of cruises get cancelled - with no cost to yourselves. Our cruise price (or vacation package) is also fixed which, again, if agreed at the beginning as the price we pay, is OK with me. On the benefit side, we are well covered if a vacation company, or cruise company for that matter, go into liquidation as long as they are covered by ABTA and/or ATOL. We are well looked after if there are flight delays (meals and accommodation) or cancellations. I was affected twice last year by industrial action and the volcanic ash problem - on both occasions I got a full refund of my costs. So.... although I understand our Aussie friends frustration, I really cannot see this changing in the short term (or even in the long term for that matter).

Have to say that like it or not, it is part of our culture in the UK. When booking a cruise, or for that matter a package vacation, a deposit is placed which is a contract to pay the balance at a set date. Cancel the cruise, or holiday, then lose the deposit (insurance will take care of illness). We don't get to change our mind on a whim which actually seems fairer to me. In the States you can put the deposit down, then withdraw it and those cabins which may have been available to all now only become available after final payment date when a number of cruises get cancelled - with no cost to yourselves. Our cruise price (or vacation package) is also fixed which, again, if agreed at the beginning as the price we pay, is OK with me. On the benefit side, we are well covered if a vacation company, or cruise company for that matter, go into liquidation as long as they are covered by ABTA and/or ATOL. We are well looked after if there are flight delays (meals and accommodation) or cancellations. I was affected twice last year by industrial action and the volcanic ash problem - on both occasions I got a full refund of my costs. So.... although I understand our Aussie friends frustration, I really cannot see this changing in the short term (or even in the long term for that matter).

Perhaps it is a cultural thing. You have to really like higher prices.:eek:

In Ontario there is a Travel Industry Compensation fund that reimburses for bankruptcy. You can buy insurance and get the coverage you speak of (and much more) and still not pay what you pay in the UK for cruises.

Judging from your post, I think you like it that way and if it works for you...hey, go for it.

Smooth sailing...

Gross disparities in consumer product pricing (based on locale) is always an eye-opener. When I was a kid (early '70's), we were in Sweden and little Fiats and other econo-cars were literally 100% higher priced than elsewhere - really steep pricing (sales taxed to $8-10K-USD when in the US or on the continent proper the prices were $3-5K).

But I've heard other OZ posters on other forums moan (occassionally rather superior moans)about their superior well intentioned consumer protection, truth in advertising, wage protection, etc. that all foreign or domestic businesses in Australia must Must MUST conform to in the name of local regulation and universal morality... ;) Well those societal benefits have costs. Local markets price goods accordingly as do the cruiselines.

It bothers me that USA workers have to compete against Chinese labor whose employers pour industrial waste into open swales but we love to shop Wal-Mart - and cruisers are no different...

...It bothers me that USA workers have to compete against Chinese labor whose employers pour industrial waste into open swales but we love to shop Wal-Mart - and cruisers are no different...

Don't let it bother you. That is what globalization is all about. Americans campaigned for it, twisted arms worldwide to get it, and now we have it.

Buckle up. The ride has just begun.

Archived