Homesick

Okay this might sound stupid and my husband thinks I am silly. I love to

go away and really enjoy a vacation but then while I am gone I miss my kids and dogs horribly. I usually try to bring a picture or something from

home to make my cabin feel homey. Does anyone else do this or have any

ideas how they make there cabins feel comfy?

go away and really enjoy a vacation but then while I am gone I miss my kids and dogs horribly. I usually try to bring a picture or something from

LOL...as crazy as it sounds if I am gone longer than 5 days I miss my little pugs like crazy. They get soooo excited when we come home so I'm under the impression that the feeling is mutual...:p

I feel the same way!:o I bring a blanket from home to cover up with to watch TV. The only cure for not missing the kids and the dog is to take a longer cruise. The first 7 days you miss them, the next 7 days you enjoy yourself. It works for me:D If I ask my husband if he misses the kids he answers "what kids".:eek:

I always miss my cats when we vacation, but it's worse on cruises because I feel so out of touch with home. I relax a little more on land vacations because I know if something happens I can be reached right away.

I've yet to cruise w/o DS, but I think I'll miss him less than I do the cats. He's a teenager, 'nuff said.

Sorry, not me. Not in the least. I've been a single parent since my son was 2, and he's 26 now (and still living at home). I relish my vacations because I get to take a break from being Mom. I do occasionally wonder what he's up to (and hoping there are no issues), but don't really miss him.

I tape the kids school picture on the mirror, in the cabin, if they aren't with me. That way I see them every time I walk into or outof the cabin. The cute chihuahua's is my background photo on the cell, so I can always see him... ;)

This will be my first vacation without my DD (she is 11) and I have never been away from her for 7 days before. And especially never been away where I could just call her any second I want. Im kind of dreading being away though I know she will be fine with grandma and grandpa! Ive promised her in Jan her and I will go on a day cruise and a couple days at Disney!

I check my email every day, just to be sure everything is going well at home. I have to do it for work just to address things happening at the office and also like to stay informed of what is happening at home. A few years ago a close family friend passed away unexpectedly while we were gone and I was so thankful that I knew what was happening and was able to communicate with home.

I love my animals, but when I'm on my cruise, I know they are well taken care of by my partner's niece who stays at the house....

We've been trying to get our best friends to go on a cruise with us for over 7 years, but the wife doesn't want to be away from their shih tzu for that long...!:mad:

I understand the attraction we all have with our pets, but you gotta go out and see the world and enjoy life!

If I ask my husband if he misses the kids he answers "what kids".:eek:

This got a big chuckle out of me this morning:D Our kids are "grown and gone" and have gotten where they join us regularly on our cruises. But, I will admit, I miss my two mini-daschunds something fierce while we're gone. I've got pics on my phone of them that I'll check out periodically while we're sailing.

I sometimes miss my fantasy of life at home- then I get home and reality hits and I wonder what I was thinking! As in- Mom, have you seen my sneakers? Mom, you need to go shopping and get my cereal. Mom this and Mom that. Let me back onboard!

I miss our dogs when we go away, our kids 2 oldest are married, our youngest is finishing up her first year in college and since shes on the soccer team she isnt home much. BUT we do have 4 dogs, and they are like kids, they dont talk back, they love to be loved, they dont get mouthy (not thta our kids did that a lot) but yes, I miss the dogs a lot!!!

At certain points during the days, on the cruise, I'll miss the kids and the dogs. So, this year DD(14) made a video of she, her brother and the dogs (they were all acting very strange ie: getting along, no fighting, no gripes, the dogs were even behaving:rolleyes:). She sent it to me the morning we sailed so I could get a fix whenever I wanted.

DH got a different video - the one of DD directing what everyone should be doing (in DS's words - being bossy). He said that was enough to make him want to book a b2b!:D

Our first cruise was 5 years ago and our DD was 5. It was our first time leaving her. I took a picture of the three of us and made 2 copies. We picked out pretty matching frames and took one with us and left one with her. For this cruise, DD just turned 10 and we now have DS who is just under 4. It'll be our first time leaving him now and we will do the same thing. I like having the picture on the dresser to look at when we enter and leave the cabin.:)

I agree taking your kids is making memories that you can cherish. I have a 12 yr old and would never think of leaving him behind. I do miss my Poppie, sounds crazy last cruise we (son and I) brought him back a gift. We got him Fun Ship Freddy, and he loves it.......... I couldn't enjoy myself without my child......so bring whatever makes you happy............Happy Cruising................... We will be on the Conquest May 29th.........

A cruise was our first trip away from our DS. He was in middle school & decided he didn't want to go at the last minute. We missed him a lot more than he did us, but we still have a great cruise. A few months later, he bailed on us again. He decided he just didn't like cruising. :confused: On the 2nd night at dinner of that cruise, my DH & I both looked at each other & said never again. If he didn't want to go, neither would we. He's now 19 & we're finally cruising again, but he's going. Who knows how many more he'll be able to take with us though. College & life will get in the way. We won't have a choice, & we'll get on with life w/o him being around as much.

So, the first time leaving him went well. We really enjoyed being a couple again. The second time was horrible. I suppose it could have something to do with how much time you spend together on a daily basis. When our DS was younger, we did everything as a family.

We really miss our 4-legged baby girl too, but we can still enjoy ourselves know she's taken care of & wouldn't enjoy the trip anyway. I try to keep my mind so busy that I don't think about her too often. I really think a picture would make it even worse. Every time I saw her, I'd get sad again. By the end of them trip, I always rush to get her, before I stop anywhere else. I'm a crazy mama, I know. :D

I always miss my cats when we vacation, but it's worse on cruises because I feel so out of touch with home. I relax a little more on land vacations because I know if something happens I can be reached right away.

I've yet to cruise w/o DS, but I think I'll miss him less than I do the cats. He's a teenager, 'nuff said.

I LOVE your post!!!! It's so funny and It's so TRUE!!!! I have cats and teens and feel exactly the same. Plus, I'm always wondering what new, destructive thing they (the cats) will find to do without supervision for a week. Last time they took down the kitchen curtains and all the towels from under the cabinet in the bathroom.

We almost always travel with our DS, but when we don't, we miss him terribly. Our dog Libby (pictured below) is on our phones, and usually the last day, we are ready to return & kind of antsy on the ship.

It's funny this topic has come up. My cousin was diagnosed with terminal cancer.....we were supposed to go on our next cruise all together (when they thought she might beat it:() Now, we cruise in 17 days, and i am trying to come up with a way to have her there, like a picture i guess....but then it gets dropped quickly cause it is just so sad.....it's not fair....i know i sound like a spoiled teen....but it's not, and there is nothing i can do about it....and that's not fair either. Ick!

Archived