Azamara vs Seabourn

Host Dan

I have really enjoyed both Host Dan's and Host Andy's reviews and comments about the cruises they took on Azamara.

DH and I enjoyed our Azamara Journey cruise immensely in February. We were on the ship for 12 days. We did NOT find that the waiters helped us with our food trays OR remembered our drinks, except for the one lonely waiter in Looking Glass.

I just don't want people to expect Superb service, I am pretty sure that they know who you are, and as Cruise Critic hosts, you get better treatment. I know that the Captain and others on board read CC (they commented on that while we had CC get-togethers), and they will want to impress you.

Sorry if I sound jaded, but my experience, however good, does not mirror either Dan's or Andy's.

I was on the same cruise as Host Dan, my experience was that the waiters did not help us in Windows, except for occasionally offering to get us something to drink. Not a complaint - just that my experience was more similar to Gretas. I can't comment on the drink orders as we mostly drank wine, however, the waiters in Discoveries did remember that I like a bowl of berries for desert.

Overall, I DO think the service was excellent ...except for them not allowing us to upgrade (pay the difference for a wine we like) the plastic capped Jean Dorsene "champagne" we received as Le Club Voyage Discoverer members. But dont get me started on that! :confused:

Danna

I was on the same cruise as Host Dan, my experience was that the waiters did not help us in Windows, except for occasionally offering to get us something to drink. Not a complaint - just that my experience was more similar to Gretas. I can't comment on the drink orders as we mostly drank wine, however, the waiters in Discoveries did remember that I like a bowl of berries for desert.

Overall, I DO think the service was excellent ...except for them not allowing us to upgrade (pay the difference for a wine we like) the plastic capped Jean Dorsene "champagne" we received as Le Club Voyage Discoverer members. But dont get me started on that! :confused:

Danna

Would also like to add my 2 cents to both Greta & Danna's comments. The service in Windows was not overwhelming. For the most part, servers were friendly and courteous, however no one EVER offered to take our plates or find a us a table. Not a problem, we were perfectly able to do this ourselves.

Drink service, particularly at the pool was slow. It was just not the same impression we got from reading reviews (from i.e. Host Andy and others) on previous itineraries. Also, according to other reviewiers, the Discoveries dining room was also hit and miss. We found breakfast served in our cabin and Discoveries much better than in the cafe. Most evenings we ate in Discoveries as well. However, servers in Discoveries had a hard time getting my husband's pre-dinner cocktail right let alone remember what he liked. We sometimes felt the crew was overworked!

Overall, we had a great cruise and met wonderful people. Perhaps, our lst and memorable Azamara experience last May on the Quest raised the bar too high.

So what is the big deal with waiters remembering your name, remembering your drink, taking a plate to a table etc?

It is far more important that the service is attentive and polite.

On a recent Regent cruise, after two weeks no waiter called me by name or remebered what I drank, but who cares. And if it doesn't happen on Regent (same size ships but a lot more expensive) why should it happen on Azamara?

So what is the big deal with waiters remembering your name, remembering your drink, taking a plate to a table etc?

It is far more important that the service is attentive and polite.

On a recent Regent cruise, after two weeks no waiter called me by name or remebered what I drank, but who cares. And if it doesn't happen on Regent (same size ships but a lot more expensive) why should it happen on Azamara?

Because you may as well be absolutely anywhere rather than on a cruise. It is so much nicer not to have to explain everytime what you want. It is so nice to have your drinks pre-prepared to the temperature you prefer, have the bread you like delivered to the table, etc., etc. all without fuss. It is one of the reasons we prefer to cruise and one that is reinforced everytime we spend a few days post-cruise in a hotel. It is what we have grown to expect on Celebrity as well as Azamara and, from what you have said, a reason not to try Regent.

Regards,

Sue

Interesting.

One difference I noticed between our two cruises (one before it became ACC) was the staff in Windows helping carry plates. They did not do this every time and I certainly did not care or need this, but it was nice when they did. I think it may have depended upon crowds, sea conditions and how capable you look. They also brought coffee and drinks which they did not offer to do on our first cruise.

Archived