High Tea

bacm

I will be visiting Bermuda with a group on the Explorer of the Seas. RCCL offers an excursion called "Tea & Tales". Has anyone taken this excursion? Can you tell me something about it? Thank you.

You don't have to take an excursion to do High Tea. It is available at at the Fairmont Hamilton Princess; http://www.fairmont.com/hamilton/Gue...itageCourt.htm

The address is 76 Pitts Bay Rd, Hamilton. Assuming you use the ferry to go from the Dockyard to Hamilton, you would take a left from the ferry terminal on to Front St. As you walk, Front St becomes Pitts Bay Rd. The Fairmont will be on you left. There is a dress code.

High Tea is also available at the Jasmine Room, Southampton Princess, 101 South Shore Rd, Southampton.

SBtS

You don't have to take an excursion to do High Tea. It is available at at the Fairmont Hamilton Princess; http://www.fairmont.com/hamilton/Gue...itageCourt.htm

SBtS

But the excursion is not just tea. Til you factor the cost at the Princess, around $35, and figure they're getting a narrated tour with pickup and drop off at Dockyard, it might not be a bad idea if someone wants the convenience of everything together.:)

If you do the excursion please let us know how it was and if it is something a man would enjoy. :rolleyes:

Marty

Well...my son was a varsity wrestler and football player (is that manly enough for you?) and he enjoys going for afternoon tea with his wife when they're in Bermuda.

Thank you for your assistance. Some very interesting points were raised. Actually, my group went on this same cruise last year and some of them did go to the High Tea at the Fairmont, which was very nice. The problem was that the time the Tea was offered was not convenient for getting back to the ship on time and the long lines at the ferry didn't help. The group doesn't want to be stressed about returning on time like they were last time and that is why they are opting to go for the organized excursion this time. I was wondering if anyone had gone on this excursion to find out where the tea was held and any other details about the excursion. It really isn't a money issue, it's about convenience, but I still wanted to check it out.

As far as having a man go to the tea...I understand that question, as we will probably be a group of all women. However, last year the men went also. I think that question can only be answered by the individuals going. Gentlemen, you know yourselves...and ladies, you know your husbands...and I feel you, as a couple, can really judge best whether or not it will work for you. Sometimes my husband feels like going and sometimes not. For us...that works.

You could go to the tea at either the Fairmont Hamilton or the Fairmont Shouthampton on your first day rather than worrying about getting back to the ship.;) I'm sure the tea at a guest house would be lovely but I can't think it would compare to the other places. I was not a dainty eater......everything was so wonderful that I was a piggy and couldn't eat dinner.:o We were staying at the Hamilton Princess, old name, so I learned my lesson for the rest of the week.:)

Like I previously posted, the excursion may be a good fit for you considering the convenience.

Our cruise is not a 3 day stay in Bermuda. We will be there for one day only. Their experience last year became more of a stressful situation about getting back to the ship than expected...no dramatic story, but as I said waiting in line for the ferry to come back for about 30 minutes in the rain didn't help the "experience". I suppose they could have booked the tea earlier in the day and not had that rushed feeling, but they didn't realize it would be necessary at the time. Also...having tea at 11:30 in the morning was not what they had in mind...they wanted to have a true "afternnon" tea. But...I know...we can't have it all.

You mention the "tea at the guest house"....that's what I really want to know about. Is the guest house listed on line and can I find out about the tea they offer. Do you know what the name of the guest house is?

bacm, sorry I can't help you anymore. Didn't realize you were there for only one day which is very limiting on your options. The excursion only says guest house and there's no way of knowing which or where since RCCL doesn't specify.

There is one more possibility and that is to go to the Fairmount Southampton for their tea and taking a cab back to the ship. You would avoid the walk to the ferry and any waiting in line. When you split the cab fare it ends ups not being all the expensive.

There is a listing of establishments that serve High Tea, but am not sure how up-to-date it is because it is not available at the Lighthouse Tea Room anymore; here is the link http://www.bermuda-attractions.com/bermuda_00024f.htm

SBtS

High tea and afternoon tea are not the same thing. What most Americans really want is afternoon tea or sometimes called elegant tea (low tea) like those listed. Calling those high tea is sloppy. High tea is a heavy meal.

There is a listing of establishments that serve High Tea, but am not sure how up-to-date it is because it is not available at the Lighthouse Tea Room anymore; here is the link http://www.bermuda-attractions.com/bermuda_00024f.htm

SBtS

On that page it says after the Lighthouse tea room listing:

UPDATE: Lighthouse Tearoom has closed down and a new restaurant The Dining Room has come up in its place. The new one is a proper restaurant and not a tea room.

I wonder Sinner if that was there when you first linked to the page. Maybe whoever does the page is reading this board.....:)

• 3 weeks later...
Well...my son was a varsity wrestler and football player (is that manly enough for you?) and he enjoys going for afternoon tea with his wife when they're in Bermuda.

Thank you for your not so nice reply but you did answer my question that men do go to the teas and it would not be a room full of just ladies.

High tea and afternoon tea are not the same thing. What most Americans really want is afternoon tea or sometimes called elegant tea (low tea) like those listed. Calling those high tea is sloppy. High tea is a heavy meal.

Thank you for posting that, Charles. I have given up trying to tell people that "high tea" is not what they think it is. Somehow, people think "high" equates with "elegant." Maybe they think it's high society?

We had tea at the Lighthouse Cafe many years ago and it was very nice. I was sorry when I heard that it had changed.

I will be interested to hear reports on afternoon tea in Bermuda these days.

• 2 weeks later...

We visited Bermuda last September on NCL and took an excursion by the same name, so I assume yours will be the same or similar. It included a visit to Gibb's lighthouse and a very small chapel with an old-fashioned water tank, as well as a nice drive. The tour was narrated, and the guide was very informative. Tea was held at "Mrs. Tea's Victorian Tea Room," where we were served two types of tea (a traditional and pomegranate), 4-5 types of finger sandwiches, and pastries. We were free to explore the property for about 30 minutes after finishing tea, and it had very lovely views. There were about 10 people on the tour, and I believe two were men. It took about 3 hours. I also will note that we had two people on the tour (including one person in my party) with severe mobility issues. It was a good tour for them, and they enjoyed it very much. I hope this helps. Enjoy your trip.

Archived