Questions re O air & Frequent Flyer Miles

mountain grandma

My upcoming cruise we go Air Canada to Rome and fly home on Delta. I called both airlines and asked if I would get FF miles, and both said yes, but I am not holding my breath...

Both AC and Delta state in the small print on their websites, that consolidator(I think that's the term), or fares booked by Travel Agents, don't qualify.

Sure would be a pleasant surprise to get them, both airlines have my FF number.

It doesn't hurt to provide the carrier with your FF number but I think I'd be surprised if you can get miles on "free" air.

I wish I could remember if we'd tried on our few Oceania flights, but I can't. I know we flew on Delta with Oceania's fare once or twice, but I honestly can't recall if we attempted to get miles credited or not.

I was more concerned about seat selection!

We did get them (I think) for our recent AC flight so you never know but I put it in my airline profile just in case

I know we paid the airline to upgrade at check in so we did get points for the flights just not sure if O air was included but I think so

Lyn

Oceania make the booking to get your bum in a seat, however they will not get requested seat assignments, meal requests or put frequent flyer numbers on the file - that is up to you.

Oceania should provide you with an airline booking reference code. As soon as we receive confirmation of the booking we call the airline and confirm assigned seats (or change to preferred seats), have them put meal requests and frequent flyer numbers on file etc. Sometimes we are able to pay a little extra to get premium seats such as Economy Plus etc (depends on which airline). - note we always pay the air deviation fee to request our favorite airlines & generally we stay on a few days pre & post cuise.

Always a good idea to check with the airline to confirm your reservation well in advance ... several years ago we got the confirmation info from O & all appeared in order but when we called the airline found my husband and I had been booked to fly out on different dates.

Hello--

I was wondering--If you book your air through O, can you still collect FF miles from the airlines? Does it depend on the airline or flight itinerary? If yes, is it the same for Business Class and Economy?

Thanks in advance for the help.

Billie

The ability to collect Frequent Flier miles varies, dependent on the class of ticket that Oceania purchases on your behalf.

I'm not talking about First Class versus economy here, the airlines have a whole system of ticket classes which have to do with how discounted a particular ticket-fare is.

When Oceania chooses a flight for you, they purchase the least expensive practical itinerary, which may or may not be a miles earning flight.

Passengers who are paying the "deviation fee", however, can certainly request FF eligible flights.

PS We have done 4 cruises with O and have always got our Star Alliance miles to our Air Canada Aeroplan account. It is not a free ticket O pays for it but will be a special class.

If you use redeem your own points then it is a free ticket and you will not get points.

As Jim&Stan pointed out it depends on the fare code (R,L,K,W V). It also depends on the airline in question. If it is a US carrier, most will give you FF miles on just about any discounted ticket. Foreign airlines BA and LH do not or may give you 50% of the miles on discounted tickets. Our last trip to SA on AA and DL was booked with a W fare and we earned full mileage credit.

Your reservation will have a record locator, as your TA for it and you can find out your fare plus also reserve your seats early. Oceania does not do a final ticketing until 30 days out and therefore trying to get an upgrade with miles or anything else is very difficult as you must be ticketed to try.

We've received FF credit for O air on both United and Continental.

The only problem is that the fares are not upgradeable with miles. Continental allows almost any fare to be upgraded with miles plus a [sometimes hefty] co-pay but we could not do this on our O flights because they are "bulk fares."

We were, however, able to use our elite status on United to get Economy Plus seats for free. A few more inches of legroom can make a big difference on long flights.

We've received FF credit for O air on both United and Continental.

The only problem is that the fares are not upgradeable with miles. Continental allows almost any fare to be upgraded with miles plus a [sometimes hefty] co-pay but we could not do this on our O flights because they are "bulk fares."

We were, however, able to use our elite status on United to get Economy Plus seats for free. A few more inches of legroom can make a big difference on long flights.

Once again, when paying the deviation fee, you may specifically request upgradeable seats.

Many thanks for all the information---We have already done the seats with BA for this summer but now I will call and ask about the FF miles.

Getting FF miles seems promising with air on Air New Zealand and United for next year but we will certainly check when the time comes. We want to fly Business Class to Australia and home from New Zealand in 2012 and the cost is really skyhigh compared to Europe :eek:. I am sure we will have a hefty up-charge from O but we will see--we still have to wait a month to look at the airlines' prices for next year.

Thanks again for the help.

Billie

Hi Billie,

We are also going to Australia in 2012 on O. Air credit for our cruise (Splendors Down Under 2/21/12) was $1300 each, not much more than the air credit for Route of the Vikings cruise last summer (NYC-Copenhagen;London-NYC). Air fares are now available on Qantas for that time period. I know you said you wanted United, but at least it may give you an idea. Try not to stop breathing when you see the prices for business class!

Kathie

P.S. the O upcharge is 6799 pp (13,598.) + 1300 air credit pp (2,600)

total 16,198 and still add the deviation fee! We paid less for business on Qantas.

Good Luck with your research

Archived