Which Side of Ship - Crown 12-day Greek Isles & Med. Cruise

candydane

We're booked on the Crown Princess for the 12-Day Greek Isles & Mediterranean Cruise (Rome to Venice). Several friends are planning to book also and trying to decide if cabins should be on port or starboard side of ship.

For those of you who've done this cruise, which side of the ship would you consider has the best view while cruising between ports? Looks like the coast is visible during much of the cruise.

Here's the itinerary map:

ItinaryMap.jpg

Thanks.

I was going to say port side for leaving venice....but it looks like you're ending there. What's the arrival time? You may be pulling in at 4-5am, in which case it won't matter.

In all honesty, with the port intensive itineraries in the med, most of the boat's movement will be at night. I don't know if there is a "best" side.

I've done the reverse - Venice to Rome. Besides pulling into/out of Venice, the only other time we were close enough to land while sailing was around the Southern part of Italy thru the Strait of Messina; so in your case it would be the port side. I took a bunch of photos of the land/bridges from our balcony as we sailed by and there were some people on jet skis alongside our ship for a while (until they took a spill).

As far as pulling into the ports, since the ships can change docks and the direction they are facing, the side you are on doesn't really matter. I woke up really early one moring to see Mykonos as we were pulling in and for a while we had a great view of the island/town but then the ship turned right before it docked and our view was gone.

Most of the time land will be out of sight.

However, as othe5rs have pointed out, the sailing into Venice is spectatular.

However, for that I prefer to be up on deck and not limited to viewing only one side.

Starboard side for arriving in Venice, port for leaving. It was also best to be on starboard for sailing through the Strait of Messina.

To add onto this question, what side would be better if doing the Venice to Rome version of this itinerary? I'm mainly interested in knowing if one side is better for Dubrovnik and the Greek Isles ports.

EGG120lg.jpg

Archived