Disappointed related to Shore Excursions

luvmytigs

Wow - the cruise person I had been speaking with just called me back, said he'd send over the information to shore excursions, and get back to me first thing Monday morning either with the confirmation or to ask for whatever else they might need (he took the information he thought would be required) to make the reservation!

Nice customer service touch!

Wow - the cruise person I had been speaking with just called me back, said he'd send over the information to shore excursions, and get back to me first thing Monday morning either with the confirmation or to ask for whatever else they might need (he took the information he thought would be required) to make the reservation!

Nice customer service touch!

Great news! They need your credit card information and name and date of the excursion.;)

Booked it from home on the web site. If I recall, the web site did say it wasn't available yet it WAS available when you went deeper into the shore excursion site (does that make sense?). Anyway, I called Azamara and they said if I can book it on-line, then it's available. Turned out they were right. I chalked up the confusion as one more instance of Azamara's problem with its shore operation (Little did I know of the half price fiasco that was to come).

gent, you do not go to the Shore Excursion site. You have to log into

"My Azamara" using your Username and password. Then you log onto the Shore Excursion under your reservation where the times and prices are listed for excursions that are specifically available for your cruise.

totally makes sense...

1st they offered it as an option, then when you went deeper to say a 2nd layer and read the fine print it said NO for November.

I think most of us on our sailing stopped there. You went to the 3rd layer and ended up able to book it through...

Insert rolling eyes here, AZ lost $$$ on that mess up

Delos is a such highlight, I would hate to see anyone miss it, especially on Azevedan's sailing where the port time is soooo long!!!

BTW, I re read my post above this, looks like I put not in there 2x by accident...so just to clarify I'm not disputing that a shorex is a good way to do it. :D

Did you book any excursions through the cruise line? You would have had to log onto "My Azamara" and get into your reservation (or book while on-board).

Booked it from home on the web site. If I recall, the web site did say it wasn't available yet it WAS available when you went deeper into the shore excursion site (does that make sense?). Anyway, I called Azamara and they said if I can book it on-line, then it's available. Turned out they were right. I chalked up the confusion as one more instance of Azamara's problem with its shore operation (Little did I know of the half price fiasco that was to come).

Agreed that if you can't book the shorex you should go anyway. My wife and others thought the ruins were as impressive - although different -as Pompeii!

gent, you do not go to the Shore Excursion site. You have to log into

"My Azamara" using your Username and password. Then you log onto the Shore Excursion under your reservation where the times and prices are listed for excursions that are specifically available for your cruise.

All of the actions I took above were after I logged in to the Azamara site and was at the shore excursions page. I thought the login part was a givin but I guess I was mistaken.

As the original poster of this thread, and a person who missed a few of you warning about the March 31 deadline being imposed after the bookings , I find it ironic that having just returned from a business trip, I almost missed the communication AGAIN.

Apparently, Azamara is communicating through Bill Lieber on this cruise critic blog however my travel agent is getting no where with her Royal Caribbean/Azamara rep and has now involved a senior regional person with AAA travel. She is completely unaware that anyone is getting the 1/2 price excursions by calling to the call center. If this is the case, I must reopen my complaints regarding Azamara and the lack of communication. The call center was closed by the time I read the posts this afternoon so we will find out what happens on Monday. AAA Travel seems to attract the type of customer that Azamara courts so it is even more odd that the TA is getting no where.

(AND, we have booked 12 Europe/Alaska/Hawaii trips with oure TA and have had excellent service from her with no communication issues).

The saga continues...I have sent Azamara the list of excursions we want at 1/2 price.

At this rate, I will definitely need a vacation by July.:cool:

Apparently, Azamara is communicating through Bill Lieber on this cruise critic blog however my travel agent is getting no where with her Royal Caribbean/Azamara rep and has now involved a senior regional person with AAA travel. She is completely unaware that anyone is getting the 1/2 price excursions by calling to the call center. If this is the case, I must reopen my complaints regarding Azamara and the lack of communication. The call center was closed by the time I read the posts this afternoon so we will find out what happens on Monday.

The saga continues...I have sent Azamara the list of excursions we want at 1/2 price.

At this rate, I will definitely need a vacation by July.:cool:

luvmytigs, if you read through the entire thread that you started, it was stated that Azamara is making a full statement/sending info to TA's next week (now this week) on the procedures to book your excursions at the 50% promotion.

However, there was at least one person on this thread whose sailing leaves this week, so this does not help them. It was suggested that they go through the call center and speak to a supervisor, which is what they have done.

Full disclosure - We are not involved in this issue as we saw the promotion was changed on the Azamara website and also mentioned on Cruise Critic, so we booked prior to the March 31 deadline.

Hi All,

Just got off Journey this morning and we were given a copy of the 2011 brochure in our room a few nights ago. It still has the 50% off excursions in it with the "subject to change etc" caveat. Lots of people were discussing it. We spoke to dozens of people that had never got any communication from AZ or their TA's about the deal and were shocked, angry and felt ripped off. I only found out about the deal on the forum. We booked three which were all super.:D

luvmytigs, if you read through the entire thread that you started, it was stated that Azamara is making a full statement/sending info to TA's next week (now this week) on the procedures to book your excursions at the 50% promotion.

However, there was at least one person on this thread whose sailing leaves this week, so this does not help them. It was suggested that they go through the call center and speak to a supervisor, which is what they have done.

Full disclosure - We are not involved in this issue as we saw the promotion was changed on the Azamara website and also mentioned on Cruise Critic, so we booked prior to the March 31 deadline.

Thanks Jade! It sounds like it will get straighened out next week.:o

Hi All,

Just got off Journey this morning and we were given a copy of the 2011 brochure in our room a few nights ago. It still has the 50% off excursions in it with the "subject to change etc" caveat. Lots of people were discussing it. We spoke to dozens of people that had never got any communication from AZ or their TA's about the deal and were shocked, angry and felt ripped off. I only found out about the deal on the forum. We booked three which were all super.:D

If anyone went to book pre-cruise the 50% discount would have come up.

I just can't figure out what Azamara marketing/management is thinking or doing. The entire point of a marketing promotion is to entice customers to book a cruise. It just seems they mentioned the promotion on their web and glossy brochures, but never told any customers booking direct or through a TA about it. I always look through the shore excursions, so saw the rates.

Based on the comments on this board, very few guests actually booked the cruise because of the promotion. It almost feels like they create promotions but tell their customer service not to point it out to anyone who calls and has already booked a cruise as it would save them money. It is exactly what happened to us with the Choice Air promotion they did not tell us about last year, and we were booked direct.

Maddie, btw, which tours were you on that you liked?

Hi Jade,

We normally only book ships trips where you have many hours of travel and risk missing departure ie we took HAL trip to Cairo from Alexandria.

With the great prices we did three -

Santorini - Oia in the north of the island (the beautiful blue church domes town, for those that don't know) Then on to a winery with a great view. Quickest wine tour in history. Two people went to the toilet after getting off the coach and missed it!. Good sized taste of a white, red and dessert wine with bread, olives and cheese accompaniments. Then on to Fira and free time and a cable car ticket back down to catch tender. We knew the tender was to Fira and thought at the price this was the best way to get to Oia. With hindsight we would hire a car as some other did, on the day cost 30 euros and used 7 euros fuel to cover the island at their own pace. We were only 1 hour 15 mins in Oia and would liked to have spent more. Another couple from NZ hired a scooter for the two of them for 10 euros all day and 5 euros fuel. (Brave souls)

In Corfu we did the hidden villages 4WD self drive jeep tour. Which was fun. A convoy of 10 small Suzuki Jimney jeeps. Four to a jeep. We shared with the NZ couple. Great local guide originally born in UK but Greek family. We were asked to bring driving licenses but they were never asked for and no waivers to sign either:confused: We drove into the hills. Lots of switchback roads. By 10am we were in a sleepy village sitting with bread, olives, tomatoes and meatballs, all fairly normal but bottles of red wine and Ouzo when we wre all driving:eek: We took a walk throuh the village and several locals stopped our guide Phillip and told him info to share with us which was a lovely touch. We had a good 2 course lunch with a great view later a walk on a small beach then back to town about 4pm. Just enough time to get the shuttle into town for a couple of hours.

Our other trip was in Katakolon and also included the Mercuri winery. About 1.5 hours at Olympia. Very enthusiastic guide with just the right amout of detail for us. 1/2 hour at a gift shop then winery set in an amazing estate with old villa and peacocks wandering around. Sat at tables of six with a bottle of white and red plus their lovely olive oil with bread, olives etc. Also welcomed with a glass of juice and biscuits. Time to wander on estate.

Sorry that turned into a bit of a TR:rolleyes:

Hi Jade,

We normally only book ships trips where you have many hours of travel and risk missing departure ie we took HAL trip to Cairo from Alexandria.

With the great prices we did three -

Santorini - Oia in the north of the island (the beautiful blue church domes town, for those that don't know) Then on to a winery with a great view. Quickest wine tour in history. Two people went to the toilet after getting off the coach and missed it!. Good sized taste of a white, red and dessert wine with bread, olives and cheese accompaniments. Then on to Fira and free time and a cable car ticket back down to catch tender. We knew the tender was to Fira and thought at the price this was the best way to get to Oia. With hindsight we would hire a car as some other did, on the day cost 30 euros and used 7 euros fuel to cover the island at their own pace. We were only 1 hour 15 mins in Oia and would liked to have spent more. Another couple from NZ hired a scooter for the two of them for 10 euros all day and 5 euros fuel. (Brave souls)

In Corfu we did the hidden villages 4WD self drive jeep tour. Which was fun. A convoy of 10 small Suzuki Jimney jeeps. Four to a jeep. We shared with the NZ couple. Great local guide originally born in UK but Greek family. We were asked to bring driving licenses but they were never asked for and no waivers to sign either:confused: We drove into the hills. Lots of switchback roads. By 10am we were in a sleepy village sitting with bread, olives, tomatoes and meatballs, all fairly normal but bottles of red wine and Ouzo when we wre all driving:eek: We took a walk throuh the village and several locals stopped our guide Phillip and told him info to share with us which was a lovely touch. We had a good 2 course lunch with a great view later a walk on a small beach then back to town about 4pm. Just enough time to get the shuttle into town for a couple of hours.

Our other trip was in Katakolon and also included the Mercuri winery. About 1.5 hours at Olympia. Very enthusiastic guide with just the right amout of detail for us. 1/2 hour at a gift shop then winery set in an amazing estate with old villa and peacocks wandering around. Sat at tables of six with a bottle of white and red plus their lovely olive oil with bread, olives etc. Also welcomed with a glass of juice and biscuits. Time to wander on estate.

Sorry that turned into a bit of a TR:rolleyes:

Thanks for the info. We have been to Santorini, Corfu, and Katakolon. In Santorini and Katakolon we rented a car with another couple. For Santorini that meant we could drive around the entire Island, go to the museum in Fira with fresco's from Akrotiri (I went in Akrotiri when it was open in the 80's), lighthouse, Anna's farm stand, winery with views, monastery with views, Pyrgos Village, Oia, 2 hours on the beach and more. HAL let us off between 7:00AM -8:00AM before the shore excursions departed.

In Katakolon we had a lot of time at both Olympia and the amazing museum there.

Btw, did Azamara offer the tour from Corfu to Albania? We did that with HAL and it was the best ships tour we have ever taken. It included an hour in Corfu town when we got back to Greece.

Hi Jade,

No tour of Albania which would have grabbed our interest. As they are lookin to join the EU I guess more ships will be visiting. We met some passenegers from one of your favourites Minerva who was in port, on the cable car in Santorini and they were landing in Albania. We were interested in seeing the wall paintings but it is closed this year until Autumn we were told.

Hi Jade,

No tour of Albania which would have grabbed our interest. As they are lookin to join the EU I guess more ships will be visiting. We met some passenegers from one of your favourites Minerva who was in port, on the cable car in Santorini and they were landing in Albania. We were interested in seeing the wall paintings but it is closed this year until Autumn we were told.

Oh, I love the size of Minerva as well as that wrap around deck. I can't recall if you have been on her. We were in Antarctica on her when it was staffed by Abercrombie & Kent. I see you were on PAII in the Arctic in July 2009. We were on her on SilverSea's Arctic cruise July 4, 2009. What did you think of the ship and the service? Our close up of a polar bear (from the ship which was turned right into the ice) was the highlight. We went to the Arctic about 3 months after returning from Antarctica and the overall service with A&K was better than SilverSea. Plus, we saw a lot more wildlife in Antarctica.

....and the 1/2 price shore excursion to Delos showed up on my reservation today! Yeah Justin & Azamara!

OPA!!!!!!!!!

So thrilled for you! You will absolutely love your time there! As mentioned by Gent the shorex essentially ends while on Delos.

just in case you might want more time on your own there, check the return ferry times right when you disembark and ask your shorex guide if your ticket will allow you to stay longer.

Delos is spread out, so it would be a waste of time to have to walk to the ferry dock and then back up at the end of the official shorex just to check departure times if you didnt have to

Thanks Azamara management, Bill and AAA Travel for working thru the 2011 promotion change. Thanks to all of you on CC for keeping the information and reviews flowing. ( I will definitely check the boards more often in the months preceding our trips.)

We are all set other than working out a tour of the Vatican museums pre cruise.

Btw- in Santorini we took the Volcano/Hot springs tour and swim and enjoyed it very much. We took the lift to Santorini and walked back down.Advice, don't ride the donkeys or walk the stairs to Santorini, Scary and slippery! At best you will have banged knees/walk in sludge- at worst....

Santorini is beautiful and is to be experienced.

Btw- in Santorini we took the Volcano/Hot springs tour and swim and enjoyed it very much. We took the lift to Santorini and walked back down.Advice, don't ride the donkeys or walk the stairs to Santorini, Scary and slippery! At best you will have banged knees/walk in sludge- at worst....

Santorini is beautiful and is to be experienced.

How long was your cruise? It seems like you just left.

We have still heard nothing about this promotion - although it was mentioned when we booked the cruise so expect to be able to take advantage of it. We are a direct booking made in January for a cruise at the end of December. I wonder if we will ever hear!!

We have still heard nothing about this promotion - although it was mentioned when we booked the cruise so expect to be able to take advantage of it. We are a direct booking made in January for a cruise at the end of December. I wonder if we will ever hear!!

uktog, was there ever clarification if this meant for the excursions through December 27, 2011 (on Journey), or through itineraries beginning on December 27, 2011 (which meant the actual excursions would be at a later date)? I am not clear if this was ever addressed?

Also, I still do not understand if Azamara was running a promotion why they did not have it show up on the booking confirmation as they do with other promotions such as OBC, or the Choice Air discount. If they had done that in the first place there never would have been this confusion.

"Hello Azamara Followers:

For the sake of good order, I want to let you know that the “Azamara Land Discovery 50% Savings Promotion” will expire on March 31, 2011 and will no longer be available for purchase. This information is shown on the Shore Excursion tab of our website - http://www.azamaraclubcruises.com/sh...e.do?cS=NAVBAR

During the remaining time, however, guests are eligible to receive the 50% savings promotion on the available inventory of Land Discoveries in 2011 available from April 17 through December 27, 2011 on the Journey, and April 12 through December 23, 2011 on the Quest.

Important Requirement:

The tours must be pre-booked through our website (online) at least four days prior to sailing and must be paid in full by March 31, 2011.

Regards,

Bill Leiber

Chief Blogging Officer*

Azamara Club Cruises

(*CBO is an authorized and compensated representative of ACC)"

Archived