Disappointed related to Shore Excursions

luvmytigs

I suspect that Azamara is at the back of the line when it comes to pre and post cruise customer service. The RCCL parent systems (computing, representatives, IT etc etc) have to serve all 3 RCCL brands and the impression I get is that Azamara suffers because it is small potatoes in comparison to Royal Caribbean and Celebrity.

Bill comes on periodically and beautifully spins things, but essentially the only fix out there is for Azamara to have dedicated resources. I don't know how many times in the past year I have seen problems flagged up here about the computer/IT systems that just aren't up to standard. Unfortunately, this is yet another example of the left hand not even being aware that there is a right hand out there.

Sorry ikelmay, but giving Azamara a dedicated system is not the answer. What they really need is trained personnel with a superior systems manual. That is where Azamara is getting short shrift.

I suspect that Azamara is at the back of the line when it comes to pre and post cruise customer service. The RCCL parent systems (computing, representatives, IT etc etc) have to serve all 3 RCCL brands and the impression I get is that Azamara suffers because it is small potatoes in comparison to Royal Caribbean and Celebrity.

Bill comes on periodically and beautifully spins things, but essentially the only fix out there is for Azamara to have dedicated resources. I don't know how many times in the past year I have seen problems flagged up here about the computer/IT systems that just aren't up to standard. Unfortunately, this is yet another example of the left hand not even being aware that there is a right hand out there.

Yes, I was impressed about the chief blogging officer--- at first..but it doesnt appear that this is a full time job based on the rare posts. Our celebrity cruise was the best cruise we have experienced, also to Italy/Amalifi, I just hope that Azamara honors what we booked in January without a fight. I can book private tours but really hoped to let the ship deal with it for once. Carnival's cruise director blogs are a riot and he helps you out with extras....Bill??????

If they had to impose the fuel surcharge, how do you think they would go about notifying the booked passengers? Would they post it on their web site and hope the passengers see it? Would they count on Cruise Critic posters to pass the word? Or would they notify TAs or passengers directly of the need for more money. Believe me, I've been there, you would hear right away. Why is it too much to ask for the same kind of consideration when they decide to change the rules on one of their promotions?

Sooo, Azamara, Frommer posted 1/2 price if you book prior to sailing. Frommer is a pretty influential site.

I spent about 30 minutes posting my complaint and issue on cruise blogs all over the net. (had I invested this much time in March, we wouldnt have missed out:cool:)

Sorry ikelmay, but giving Azamara a dedicated system is not the answer. What they really need is trained personnel with a superior systems manual. That is where Azamara is getting short shrift.

Bill indicated earlier that their Marketing Department is responsible for the web site and content. They are definitely responsible for the marketing promotions, which in addition to this Shore Excursions promotion, includes the Choice Air promotion that has been confusing, and not even bookable on Azamara's own web site for most of last year. I posted last year of our frustration of booking direct, having the Choice Air promo booking code on our reservation, and not having anyone at Azamara bother to tell us about it. I wrote and never received an answer on when they planned to tell us about it. We found out about the promotion on this message board after we had already booked our air.

If Larry Pimentel wants to succeed, he needs to hire someone new to run his marketing department. Communications is part of marketing.

You are missing my point. By being at the back of the RCCL line when it comes to resources, Azamara isn't able to offer the best customer service support either in terms of hardware/software OR customer service staff. Until the line can operate in a separate capacity from the other two units, it has to rely on all sorts of cross platform support. My limited experience with the customer service agents gives me the impression that Azamara is still an add-on to Celebrity in their eyes.

You are missing my point. By being at the back of the RCCL line when it comes to resources, Azamara isn't able to offer the best customer service support either in terms of hardware/software OR customer service staff. Until the line can operate in a separate capacity from the other two units, it has to rely on all sorts of cross platform support. My limited experience with the customer service agents gives me the impression that Azamara is still an add-on to Celebrity in their eyes.

Ikelmay, they have made a start in the US by moving the Azamara call center (that was shared with Celebrity) from Kansas City to Miami. But, the call center employees do not have control over the promotions or web site content, or as mentioned issues with the computer systems used by RCCL Corp.

It is interesting that Celebrity/RCCL always had the better web and computer systems, but in the last two years HAL/Carnival Corp must have hired a new company to revamp their web site because I now find it superior to Celebrity in design, content, and ease of use.

I am also a bit annoyed about the excursions situation:

I had read Bill's post of last year saying:

"LDS is valid for full fare (including 2-for-1 fares) bookings for 2011 sailings as of April 4, 2011 (Azamara Journey) and May 6, 2011 (Azamara Quest) through all 2012 sailings "

This to me meant that this LDS deal was valid until the end of 2012. So I booked well in advance without the benefit of ANY OBC etc which was provided on the 4 day sale last week. Of course the excursions are not yet out and when I called customer service to ask what I should do ( just before the March 31 deadline) I was told that the deal did not apply to 2012.

I definitely think there should be better clarity and am a bit miffed about the situation.

One more reason NOT to book in advance and wait for a last minute deal.

On my call to Azamara this morning, I was told that all agents were informed of the bait and switch (my words...) on January 26, 2011 which was soon after we booked the trip. "Sabrina" could not provide proof of the email to AAA travel but had a copy of the flyer that was sent by email and fax to all agents. SHe agreed that AAA was a large enough agency to have received it.

I mentioned that there were blogs about dissatisfaction and "Sabrina" indicated that management was well aware of the internet complaints and comments but that they were not honoring any discounts based on the promotional change. She was unable to transfer me to a member of management, however, I was provided the email of a VP at Azamara and have made my case to her and copied my travel agent.

We booked one balcony cabin and one in steerage;) so perhaps they would consider some form of compensation even if the $2377 in excursions is lost based on 6 days....

Sooo, Azamara, Frommer posted 1/2 price if you book prior to sailing. Frommer is a pretty influential site.

I spent about 30 minutes posting my complaint and issue on cruise blogs all over the net. (had I invested this much time in March, we wouldnt have missed out:cool:)

and

"We booked one balcony cabin and one in steerage so perhaps they would consider some form of compensation even if the $2377 in excursions is lost based on 6 days....

and

"We just booked two cabins-one verandah on deck 6 and one category 5 on deck 4. How could see about getting on upgrade to deck 6? It would be great for us to be near my Dad's cabin since I help with understand the ship layout and excursions."

luvmytigs,

I'm spending 20K for 2 on a b2b cruise next summer. In order to make sure I got the most out of this cruise I took the responsibility to do my own research re ports, shore excursions, cruise terminals etc, and read all CC comments for pertinent information. I check the roll call at least weekly and will eventually sign up for M&M.

You've obviously invested a great deal, started a roll call, then ???? Zip

Is your action of blaming Azamara all over the net a cry for help or a ploy to force Azamara to give you an upgrade?

"Sabrina" could not provide proof of the email to AAA travel but had a copy of the flyer that was sent by email and fax to all agents. SHe agreed that AAA was a large enough agency to have received it.

Azamara is saying that they told your TA, who failed to tell you? I wonder how the other TA's missed this as well (per the complaints from others here who weren't informed of the change) ... and why those who made bookings directly with Azamara weren't informed?

Azamara is in the wrong, and now they're digging their heels in, passing the blame and saying "it's not our fault" ... I am not impressed.:(

This is a thread where an explanation from Bill would have been worthwhile ... especially since Azamara is monitoring the thread. But I have to wonder how a representative from Azamara can explain how they messed up so badly with the first offer, ended it before it was supposed to, and can now justify their position. However, I am keeping an eye on the thread thinking that an explanation will be given.

She was unable to transfer me to a member of management, however, I was provided the email of a VP at Azamara and have made my case to her and copied my travel agent.

Is this the head of Marketing? Expect a scripted response from the admin on how you missed their deadline. :rolleyes:

" ... I am not impressed.:(

especially since Azamara is monitoring the thread. But I have to wonder how a representative from Azamara can explain how they messed up so badly with the first offer, ended it before it was supposed to, and can now justify their position.

They can't explain it.

"We booked one balcony cabin and one in steerage so perhaps they would consider some form of compensation even if the $2377 in excursions is lost based on 6 days....

and

"We just booked two cabins-one verandah on deck 6 and one category 5 on deck 4. How could see about getting on upgrade to deck 6? It would be great for us to be near my Dad's cabin since I help with understand the ship layout and excursions."

I actually agree with Emel on this one. Don't mix up the issues. If you want to be near your Dad, change either his or your cabin so they are near each other.

Stick with the issue regarding the Shore Excursions which you understood you could book at 50% off, and Azamara has yet to produce the email that they sent to your TA confirming the change in the booking date.

and

and

luvmytigs,

I'm spending 20K for 2 on a b2b cruise next summer. In order to make sure I got the most out of this cruise I took the responsibility to do my own research re ports, shore excursions, cruise terminals etc, and read all CC comments for pertinent information. I check the roll call at least weekly and will eventually sign up for M&M.

You've obviously invested a great deal, started a roll call, then ???? Zip

Is your action of blaming Azamara all over the net a cry for help or a ploy to force Azamara to give you an upgrade?

Emel,

I didnt intentionally miss the date in order to beg for a cabin upgrade, nor did the others who have been impacted. Honoring the excursions is all I ask from Azamara.

Based on the volume of people affected on the 2011 and 2012 bookings, and the responses so far from Azamara, I simply hope that they will do something. I appreciate your fierce loyalty to Azamara and agree that sometimes travel can be a buyer beware situation .

Fortunately for most of you, my window of time to fool with this is closing. I don't sit around eating bon-bons, reading Cruise Critic and watching reruns of Mayberry all day--I work full time, raise teenagers, am on the managing board of a children's shelter and keep watch over my father. I trust that Azamara will come up with something positive after all of this (and hopefully not $2300 of freecruise photos :) ).

We choose our trips based on itinerary and reviews. I could care less about the number of rolls offered on the lunch buffet, the karaoke song list and the dimensions of the deck chairs--so my basic checking has worked great prior to now. I continue to believe that the cruise will be amazing and appreciate most of the feedback that indicates that the majority of Azamara customers enjoy their cruise experience.

I was giving them the benefit of the doubt ... but their lack of an explanation speaks volumes. Perhaps it's in the works.

It's hard to give someone the benefit of the doubt when you don't have one.;)

This is awful, how can they, in good conscience, lure you into booking under one condition and then totally pull then rug out?? And what kind of reflection is this on their parent company? Personally, I'd be running in the other direction. This is a line without a rudder or a captain.

This is awful, how can they, in good conscience, lure you into booking under one condition and then totally pull then rug out??

In good conscience you don't do things like this. But I feel that rather than an intentional lack of good conscience, it is a case of unintentional administrative disfunction.

That's why an explanation from Bill would be helpful here. This isn't a concern of one individual ... it affects many; both those directly affected by the 'bait and switch', and those of us who wonder if we can trust Azamara if we do book with them.

I have been watching this for several days in hopes that AZ would make good on their promises. We have booked on Quest for 2/1/2012 sailing Singapore to Hong Kong with the 50% off shorex. I, too, have saved my promo...it's the same one several of you have posted. We had planned to make some of our arrangements independently since this is a bucket list trip for us but are very disappointed that AZ has reneged on an offer that prompted us to book early.

We have sailed once previously on AZ and absolutely loved it. I wanted to feel that way about this cruise, but now feel cheated.

I have been watching this for several days in hopes that AZ would make good on their promises. We have booked on Quest for 2/1/2012 sailing Singapore to Hong Kong with the 50% off shorex. I, too, have saved my promo...it's the same one several of you have posted. We had planned to make some of our arrangements independently since this is a bucket list trip for us but are very disappointed that AZ has reneged on an offer that prompted us to book early.

We have sailed once previously on AZ and absolutely loved it. I wanted to feel that way about this cruise, but now feel cheated.

pickypicky, where did you see this promo for 50% off pre-booked Shore Excursions for Asia 2012? The only promotion that I have seen was for Europe 2011. I have never seen anything on Azamara's website or promotional materials for either 2012, or Asia. Azamara did extend the offer by a couple of cruises starting with Quest from either Singapore or Dubai to Athens in 2011, actually this week. (I have a theory about that and would not be surprised if it was only done initially because of computer error, as it was never advertised).

You posted it on 4/14, from Bill dated 12/23...mine is the same. There is no exclusion of Asia nor a deadline. Let me know if there's something I'm missing?

We have booked air and are not looking for an upgrade, just for AZ to stick to what they advertised.

You posted it on 4/14, from Bill dated 12/23...mine is the same. There is no exclusion of Asia nor a deadline. Let me know if there's something I'm missing?

We have booked air and are not looking for an upgrade, just for AZ to stick to what they advertised.

It also talks about excluding the Rio Grandprix, so it's definitely not just aimed at Europe

Archived