Disappointed related to Shore Excursions

luvmytigs

Frankly, I’m concerned about the Azamara Cruise Critic site becoming a customer service forum, and in the future I will be happy to help direct you to the relevant department in our headquarters when/if issues arise.

Sincerely,

Bill Leiber

Hi Bill,

In an earlier post on this thread, you mentioned, "I will reiterate once again that Larry Pimentel and his team understand that there is much to improve in our shoreside operation if we truly want to fulfill our goal to provide a “seamless” quality Azamara experience on both land and sea."

The improvements at ACC will translate into fewer threads here concerning customer service issues.

It's encouraging to read that Azamara's management team acknowledged their mistake and is remedying the situation for those affected. Although your post didn't exactly indicate this, it appears that Azamara will be honouring the terms of the offer for those who purchased their cruises prior to the announcement of the March 31st deadline.

Thank you for being the liaison between CC and ACC, and thanks to ACC for their efforts in improving customer service, and in particular for remedying this situation.

Susan

First, I think Azamara having a CBO is a positive step and it is actually one of the reasons I decided to try Azamara again after a 2007 "bad" experience.

Second, I'm not sure I understand the universal praise for Azamara doing the "right thing." As I understand the situation, Azamara induced customers to buy cruises by offering half price shore excursions which could be purchased up to 4 days before departure. Sometime thereafter, Azamara altered the program by unilateral and apparently somewhat secretly changing the terms of the deal so that it expired on March 31st. That was not only a trap for the unwary, but meant that customers with cruises in late 2011 had no possibility of using the discount shore excursion program. After much criticism and complaint, initially ignored by customer service, Azamara decides to "do the right thing" and open another "small window" allowing the people initially induced to buy the cruise to No mention is made of the 2012 confusion.

For this, there is universal praise of the CBO - admittedly he was helpful in Azamara coming to what I call a half a loaf solution - although this is merely Azamara correcting its improper termination of a contractual obligation. To me, Azamara still has a customer service problem which this episode exemplifies. Also, Bill's comment about customer service referrals, seems to miss the point. The question came to the CBO because of customer service failures. Isn't that what an ombudsman does?

This whole episode makes me question whether I acted too quickly in giving Azamara a second chance.

Hi taxjam:

My praise was based on the (hopeful) assumption that Azamara isn't offering a 'half loaf' solution, but rather making good on their original offer for those who booked based on the offer of 50% off excursions if booked up to 4 days prior to sailing, for the 2011 sailings specified, and who booked when there was no termination date of March 31st in the offer. For those clients, the "short window" needs to extend to cruises later this year, and for which excursions aren't yet posted.

Bill's post isn't clear about the remedy, but we'll know from others here whether ACC has done the right thing or not...and hopefully it's the right thing.

Susan

p.s. Re 2012 ... that was a mistake on Bill's part, which he talks about in an earlier post on this thread.

Susan,

Regarding Bill's mistake on 2012 - I hope that A makes good on it. He speaks for the line and they should back him up.

I had read Bill's initial posting where he mentioned through 2012 last year.

Then was away quite a bit in the far east only skimming though cc occasionally. Believing that the cruise and excursions were to be booked by March 31 I booked before that date. However, when I called A about how I was to book my half priced excursions since they were not up on the board they advised me that I didnt qualify. That was the first I heard about it.

If not for Bill's post I would still have likely booked this cruise but would have not rushed to do so immediately on my return in order to take advantage of the half priced excursions. In fact believing that there were half priced excursions I actually called my TA and cancelled my request for private excursions at the various ports. I know there is the time to get that rectified but I do think that I have a legitimate issue here.

Susan,

Perhaps I should have more clearly stated my point:

A "good" company would not unilaterally change its offers to customers after customer reliance. And, if a situation occurred, they would fully honor their offer, not replace it only after extensive complaint with a "limited window." Finally, if their representative mistakenly expanded the offer to 2012 cruises, corporate should be upfront and address the problem, i.e., do something positive, not essentially ignore it and rely on the CBO's confession of error. As the last poster pointed out, people did rely on the so-called mistake.

This being said, I do think the CBO position is a positive improvement.

Susan,

Regarding Bill's mistake on 2012 - I hope that A makes good on it. He speaks for the line and they should back him up.

I see your point ... and I stand corrected re 2012 being a mistake just on Bill's part. I just had a look back at post #78 and he mentions copying that info from a 'source document' re UK bookings. Here's the link to the full post: click here

Good luck!

Susan

Susan,

What will be will be....

I have just cancelled a Regent cruise because I booked in category G for 2012 and they have now announced that categories F, G& H will be only allowed to book excursions and dining reservations well after the higher categories have booked. After a big kerfuffle on their board and many complaints about it becoming a two class line they have come back and grandfathered gold members ( 75 nights). However I am just short of that number abd besides dont like the change on principle. Anyway I guess there is still Seabourn and Silversea and even Crystal is going all inclusive in 2012.

I still think Azamara is immense value for their cost and service and have recommended it to a number of friends.

Just checked with Azamara, and they said I need my email or letter to take advantage of the 50% off shore excursion restoration. Trouble is, I'm going to hit the '4 days before sailing' limit pretty soon.

Hopefully if your email/letter doesn't arrive in time, and you purchase at full price 4 days prior, they'll refund the 50%, providing that you qualify. Hope it works out.:)

Hopefully if your email/letter doesn't arrive in time, and you purchase at full price 4 days prior, they'll refund the 50%, providing that you qualify. Hope it works out.:)

I'm on the fence with this last one (which is why I hadn't booked previously). If the letter doesn't arrive in time, I guess I'll stick with the 'do it on our own/get our own boat tickets' way. That would leave us more time on the excursion, anyway. For 1/2 price, I would go with Azamara's excursion.

grammy2009 - I thought you said you just booked two weeks ago, which would have been in April. I believe you had to book your cruise by March 31 in order to get the 50% off on Shore Excursions. That was never in dispute, just the fact that originally once the cruise was booked by that date, guests had a longer time period to pay for the excursions.

Maybe someone else can confirm.

My actual booking date was 3/24/11

What date did you book your cruise? Exactly which cruise/itinerary are you on that had no shore excursions available to book at all two weeks ago? Did you book directly through Azamara, or through a travel agent?

Jade - I guess I never answered this- I was having some connection difficulties and kept losing the Boards. I originally booked directly with Azamara after seeing the offer on line. I called the number given because I had some questions and was encouraged by the rep to book immediately to hold the room, even tho I always use a TA. The date I did that was 3/24. She then told me that I could book all my shore excursions at 1/2 cost in lieu of any shipboard credit. That sounded reasonable so I went ahead. I was assured this could be transferred to my TA when I returned from a short trip a few days later and that is exactly what I did. On 3/28 I went into my TA and paid the deposit and she arranged the transfer. So I made the deadline that I didn't even know existed at the time!

Just heard back from my TA that the letters and emails will be sent next week. Thought others might be interested in this piece of info. It doesn't do me any good, since I'm *sailing* next week! Guess I'll do it on our own, as I was considering.

Just heard back from my TA that the letters and emails will be sent next week. Thought others might be interested in this piece of info. It doesn't do me any good, since I'm *sailing* next week! Guess I'll do it on our own, as I was considering.

Hi just looked at your itinerary...We were in all of those ports (accept Paphos) in Oct/Nov last year

Santorini, Mykonos and Rhodes are VERY easy to do on your own. If you decide to do the ferrry to Delos, from Mykonos it's sooo simple. You will probably enjoy your time more in these ports NOT doing a shorex

H If you decide to do the ferrry to Delos, from Mykonos it's sooo simple. You will probably enjoy your time more in these ports NOT doing a shorex

Thanks - so no worries or problems with just getting a ferry ticket? Thanks for the reassurance! (And, on the plus side, I figure we'll have more time to wander around on Delos.)

Thanks - so no worries or problems with just getting a ferry ticket? Thanks for the reassurance! (And, on the plus side, I figure we'll have more time to wander around on Delos.)

Shouldnt be a problem, when you purchase your ferry ticket just confirm the return times.

When we were there AZ wasn't running the shorex to Delos...

However, the Star Princess was in Mykonos at the same time and they were...So when all the shorexs began their tours going to the left ...we went right and literally had that section of Delos just to ourselves!!!!

The museum is small, but definately worth a visit!

Here's the link to our sights to see lists, just scroll down...

http://ourpassportstamps.com/2010SightstoSeeAZcruise.html

Don't give up so easy.

Call Azamara today and ask for the Call Center Manager. I have a feeling this is the same person who phoned where2next while she was vacationing in Europe. She has more common sense than most of the people I have spoken to in the call centers.

They have already stated publicly here they are going to make this right. They should start with those on cruises next week, and telling your TA they would receive directions next week in not acceptable.

Know ahead of time which excursions you are interested in, have your credit card ready, and let us know how you make out.

I also agree with where2next you don't need to pay for walking tours on the Greek Islands. What you may want to consider are tours (if offered) such as going to Lindos on Rhodes (out of town) and than you would have time later back in town on your own.

Let us know what happens.

Don't give up so easy.

It's not giving up - I already have a bunch of shore excursions (1/2 price) booked earlier. We were planning on doing Mykonos on our own (no excursion); then I read recommendations about going over to Delos at the same time the 1/2 price excursions reopened. There were advantages either way - the AZ shore excursion would mean I wouldn't have to worry about getting the ticket myself, but doing it ourselves would mean we'd be able to linger longer and could go our own way with things. After hearing that the ticket pickup is pretty easy, I decided not to worry about trying to add another excursion. Believe me, if I had decided the other way, I would've been on the phone. But thanks for the advice!

It's not giving up - I already have a bunch of shore excursions (1/2 price) booked earlier. We were planning on doing Mykonos on our own (no excursion); then I read recommendations about going over to Delos at the same time the 1/2 price excursions reopened. There were advantages either way - the AZ shore excursion would mean I wouldn't have to worry about getting the ticket myself, but doing it ourselves would mean we'd be able to linger longer and could go our own way with things. After hearing that the ticket pickup is pretty easy, I decided not to worry about trying to add another excursion. Believe me, if I had decided the other way, I would've been on the phone. But thanks for the advice!

One more opinion. We did the shore excursion to Delos last November; it was fabulous. We really feel we got more out of the excavations with a guide than if we went on our own. The idea that you can now get that same tour at half price is something that you should reconsider. Regarding lingering on the island, the excursion is effectively over while you're on Delos. You don't have to return to Mykonos with the group. There is no problem lingering on the island as long as you don't miss the last ferry.

One more opinion. We did the shore excursion to Delos last November; it was fabulous. We really feel we got more out of the excavations with a guide than if we went on our own. The idea that you can now get that same tour at half price is something that you should reconsider. Regarding lingering on the island, the excursion is effectively over while you're on Delos. You don't have to return to Mykonos with the group. There is no problem lingering on the island as long as you don't miss the last ferry.

Gent..just curious did you book that shorex on the ship? because KevMoley and his friends, Marilyn and her DH and several others from the roll call werent able to do it in advance since it said on the AZ website they werent running it in Nov. (which covered our Nov 3rd sailing)

What a bummer for AZ, they lost out on a ton of money..

to Azevedan..if you go with the shorex it has its benefits...but since AZ website said unavailable to us we went Plan B and printed out info through the official Delos website, DK Books, and a couple of other resources. Also, there is a walking map and description at the entrance which is given to you, so that's an additional resource. We also purchased a book on Delos and Mykonos..through these various resources we felt very comfortable with our self guided tour and the knowledge we have of the island.

I'm not saying this not to dispute what Gent says, but to let you know that if a shorex doesnt work out based on price or availability you can have a very succesful and informative outing on your own, if you just do a bit of research.

K.

Booked it from home on the web site. If I recall, the web site did say it wasn't available yet it WAS available when you went deeper into the shore excursion site (does that make sense?). Anyway, I called Azamara and they said if I can book it on-line, then it's available. Turned out they were right. I chalked up the confusion as one more instance of Azamara's problem with its shore operation (Little did I know of the half price fiasco that was to come).

Agreed that if you can't book the shorex you should go anyway. My wife and others thought the ruins were as impressive - although different -as Pompeii!

Booked it from home on the web site. If I recall, the web site did say it wasn't available yet it WAS available when you went deeper into the shore excursion site (does that make sense?). Anyway, I called Azamara and they said if I can book it on-line, then it's available. Turned out they were right. I chalked up the confusion as one more instance of Azamara's problem with its shore operation (Little did I know of the half price fiasco that was to come).

Agreed that if you can't book the shorex you should go anyway. My wife and others thought the ruins were as impressive - although different -as Pompeii!

totally makes sense...

1st they offered it as an option, then when you went deeper to say a 2nd layer and read the fine print it said NO for November.

I think most of us on our sailing stopped there. You went to the 3rd layer and ended up able to book it through...

Insert rolling eyes here, AZ lost $$$ on that mess up

Delos is a such highlight, I would hate to see anyone miss it, especially on Azevedan's sailing where the port time is soooo long!!!

BTW, I re read my post above this, looks like I put not in there 2x by accident...so just to clarify I'm not disputing that a shorex is a good way to do it. :D

Tried calling this morning (Saturday)...the person said the excursion had to be overridden by a manager or supervisor, and they don't work on weekends. I spent a while on hold while he tried to see if there was another way to handle things. He came back after 6 or 7 minutes to tell me shore excursions still wasn't picking up; I waited another 10 before giving up.

I guess I'll try first thing Monday morning (and hope I don't get caught with the '4 days before'). I do have a guide book, so it will work out okay either way (on excursion, or on our own).

I'm honestly not holding this against Azamara - I had my chance to make the reservation for this shore excursion when I made my other (1/2-price) ones. It was just a chance to add it before cruising, but I'm on the one cruise caught on the cusp. I can always use my on-board credit, if we so decide!

Archived