Disappointed related to Shore Excursions

luvmytigs

I have attached a copy of the UK webpage to this post.

That is unbelievable that the 50% off shore excursions is still on-line!

Also interesting that in the UK you receive a 5% discount by booking on-line. Most cruise lines do not want to compete with their outside travel agents, who keep them in business.

I am still wondering when Azamara will do an overhaul of their marketing department.

I was late to book my cruise. My husband and I are sailing on the July 19th Quest cruising the Amalfi Coast. Is anyone interested in booking excursions outside of the cruise line?

Though I have cruised many times, I have never done this and would like to hook up with others who've used outside people before.

Happy cruising.

• 4 weeks later...
Am I right in thinking that providing our cruise was booked before the end of March 2011 we are entitled to half price excursions as long as we book them more than 5 days before the cruise starts.

Geoffrey

I think you are eligible ... see post #180; she booked late March I believe.

p.s. Here's the relevant posts from that poster:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showpost.php?p=28930233&postcount=113

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showpost.php?p=29149074&postcount=180

Has the 2012 situation been resolved? Perhaps I missed an update?

Hi Taxjam !

No updates (that I've heard) on 2012. Hopefully, we will hear something in the near future. Stay Tuned !

Host Andy,

Thanks for the update even if it is only that there is nothing to report. I find Azamara's marketing function frustratingly inscrutable. I go on a 35 day vacation returning July 15th, don't look at this site for the entire period, come back, and Azamara still hasn't decided how to handle the 2012 situation. After a bad experience with Azamara in 2007, I quit them. I decided to try them again in early 2012 because of several good reports about the new management team and the appointment of the CBO which I thought was something really positive. After following the half price shore excursion fiasco and a couple of other things, I think I am falling into the old Lincoln saying: "fool me once, shame on you, fool me twice shame on me." Sorry for the rant.

Am I right in thinking that providing our cruise was booked before the end of March 2011 we are entitled to half price excursions as long as we book them more than 5 days before the cruise starts.

Geoffrey

No, that is not correct. If you booked the cruise prior to March 2011, you would be entitled to half-price excursions ALSO booked prior to March 31, 2011. If you booked your cruise before the deadline, but did not take advantage of the half-price excursion special before it expired on 3/31/2011, you are out of luck.

Sorry...

Geoffrey

Hello Gsgbrumuk,

We did open the 50% off pre-booked Land Discovery program for a short period of time for booked guests that qualified for this promotion by booking on or before March 31, 2011 but did not realize about the deadline.

In the UK market, you will need to contact UK reservations to confirm that you do indeed qualify for this offer. If you are eligible, they will provide you with a form to complete and return as the means to book the tours at the promotional prices. Note that the terms and conditions are stated on the form itself.

In order to start the process you or your travel agent can contact the UK Captains Club:

Captains Club

Celebrity Cruises

Loyalty Desk UK & Ireland

Email: captainsclub.uk@rccl.com

Tel: 0844 481 7505

I’m hopeful that this information will be beneficial.

Enjoy your forthcoming Azamara Club Cruises’ vacation experience.

Regards,

Bill Leiber

Chief Blogging Officer*

Azamara Club Cruises

(*CBO is an authorized and compensated representative of ACC)

No, that is not correct. If you booked the cruise prior to March 2011, you would be entitled to half-price excursions ALSO booked prior to March 31, 2011. If you booked your cruise before the deadline, but did not take advantage of the half-price excursion special before it expired on 3/31/2011, you are out of luck.

Sorry...

I thought Bill explained a few pages back that ACC had come up with a resolution that would enable those who couldn't purchase their excursions prior to March 31st [because (1) excursions weren't yet available for cruises later in the year, and (2) clients hadn't been given notice that the terms of the offer had been changed] to book them during "a window of opportunity". A letter is being sent to those who qualify to advise them when that "window" is for their cruise.

Also, it sounds like the poster who I quoted just above, booked her half price excursions in May.

p.s. I was composing this at the same time that Bill posted ... glad to see that I've understood this confusing matter.

Bill

Many thanks for your response, greatly appreciated.

I am sure we will enjoy our forthcoming Azamara cruise, we were very happy last year on Quest (Istanbul to Athens) and are really looking forward to this one on the Amazon in October.

One minor gripe it would be good to know what is happening overnight on our way back. We leave Manaus for Miami and then there are about 23 hours unallocated before our flight to Heathrow. Perhaps a little more communication between Head Office, UK and customer might be in order.

Thanks again

Geoffrey

Bill

Quick update - just spoken to Loyalty Desk and they say they will send a form out today.

I do think the role you play is an enormous plus to the customer / Azamara relationship.

Thanks again

Geoffrey

Bill,

Just thought you'd like to know....the excursions for the November 8th cruise to the Amazon just were posted last week-end, and I had booked the cruise in early March, so I called Azamara and was able to book my excursions at the reduced price without a problem. The office staff were very helpful and efficient. This just reinforces my belief that Azamara Club Cruises is outstanding, and my favorite cruise line!

Thanks for all you do to help make things happen.

A letter is being sent to those who qualify to advise them when that "window" is for their cruise.

I never received any letter. Did anyone receive this letter?

Note that we did book our shore excursions prior to March 31, but how does Azamara know whether anyone wants to make any changes. I would think the letter would have gone out to everyone who booked prior to March 31.

I am booked direct with Azamara and I have received no letter - this is on a cruise for the end of this year booked in January 2011 and therefore within the window - though how would I know there was a window if it was not for Cruise Critics :)

I never received any letter. Did anyone receive this letter? ....

I am booked direct with Azamara and I have received no letter....

I wonder if they changed their minds about notifying clients, and instead are leaving it up to clients to inquire? Per Bill's earlier posts (see links below), ACC was going to let those who qualify know...but it was going to be done in stages, depending on when your cruise is in 2011:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showpost.php?p=28918272&postcount=95

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showpost.php?p=29119418&postcount=168

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showpost.php?p=29319366&postcount=192

I am booked direct with Azamara and I have received no letter - this is on a cruise for the end of this year booked in January 2011 and therefore within the window - though how would I know there was a window if it was not for Cruise Critics :)

Hello Uktog,

I think I’ve mentioned that the UK/Ireland office operates the reservation process separately from North America to comply with UK government regulations.

I believe that the UK will send emails to eligible guests with a form attached for you to complete and return as the means to book the tours at the promotional prices if you qualify. The terms and conditions are stated on the form itself. I’ve been told that not 100% of the shore excursions for the final phase (Asia, West Indies and South America) have been loaded into the system which might explain why you have not received notification.

As I mentioned earlier to Gsgbrumuk, I recommend that you contact the UK Captains Club for the status.

Captains Club

Celebrity Cruises

I’m confident that they will be helpful.

I really appreciate your loyalty to Azamara Club Cruise and your thoughtful comments on Cruise Critic.

My best wishes for your forthcoming Azamara vacation.

Regards,

Bill Leiber

Chief Blogging Officer*

Azamara Club Cruises

I wonder if they changed their minds about notifying clients, and instead are leaving it up to clients to inquire? Per Bill's earlier posts (see links below), ACC was going to let those who qualify know...but it was going to be done in stages, depending on when your cruise is in 2011:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showpost.php?p=28918272&postcount=95

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showpost.php?p=29119418&postcount=168

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showpost.php?p=29319366&postcount=192

Hello Susan-M and Jade13 –

You both are dedicated Azamara followers and I appreciate your time, effort and comments as you follow our progress in delivering a seamless shoreside and onboard experience.

Jade13, I did learn today that not 100% of the shore excursions for the final phase have been loaded into the system which I believe explains why your travel agent has not received email communication. I’ve assumed that your voyage falls within the third phase (West Indies, Asia and South America).

I suggest you touch base with your agent about your concern. Also, I’ve sent a copy of this post to customer service.

Thank you again for you allegiance to Azamara Club Cruises.

Regards,

Bill Leiber

Chief Blogging Officer*

Azamara Club Cruises

Hello Susan-M and Jade13 –

You both are dedicated Azamara followers and I appreciate your time, effort and comments as you follow our progress in delivering a seamless shoreside and onboard experience.

Jade13, I did learn today that not 100% of the shore excursions for the final phase have been loaded into the system which I believe explains why your travel agent has not received email communication. I’ve assumed that your voyage falls within the third phase (West Indies, Asia and South America).

I suggest you touch base with your agent about your concern. Also, I’ve sent a copy of this post to customer service.

Thank you again for you allegiance to Azamara Club Cruises.

Regards,

Bill Leiber

Chief Blogging Officer*

Azamara Club Cruises

Bill, we are on an October Holyland cruise.

Hello Uktog,

I think I’ve mentioned that the UK/Ireland office operates the reservation process separately from North America to comply with UK government regulations.

I believe that the UK will send emails to eligible guests with a form attached for you to complete and return as the means to book the tours at the promotional prices if you qualify. The terms and conditions are stated on the form itself. I’ve been told that not 100% of the shore excursions for the final phase (Asia, West Indies and South America) have been loaded into the system which might explain why you have not received notification.

As I mentioned earlier to Gsgbrumuk, I recommend that you contact the UK Captains Club for the status.

Captains Club

Celebrity Cruises

I’m confident that they will be helpful.

I really appreciate your loyalty to Azamara Club Cruise and your thoughtful comments on Cruise Critic.

My best wishes for your forthcoming Azamara vacation.

Regards,

Bill Leiber

Chief Blogging Officer*

Azamara Club Cruises

Thank you Bill

I had seen excursions but had not realised more are to come which will be even more fun for the choosing!

I will wait for the email with excitement

Regards

Ann

• 2 months later...

We are scheduled to take an Azamara cruise in November (on the Quest) from Athens to Venice. We've taken 15+ cruises trying most of the biggies and I was impressed with what Azamara offered. I was doubly excited when I read about the 50% discount on shore excursions for 2011 cruises. But after seeing the thread on Cruise Critic I was concerned and sure enough, when I contacted Azamara I was told I was SOL. I had booked after 3/31 so too bad for me. Not very good PR when half the people on an excursion are paying twice as much as the other half. The kicker -Azamara is advertising 50% discount on 2012 excursions!!!

We are scheduled to take an Azamara cruise in November (on the Quest) from Athens to Venice. We've taken 15+ cruises trying most of the biggies and I was impressed with what Azamara offered. I was doubly excited when I read about the 50% discount on shore excursions for 2011 cruises. But after seeing the thread on Cruise Critic I was concerned and sure enough, when I contacted Azamara I was told I was SOL. I had booked after 3/31 so too bad for me. Not very good PR when half the people on an excursion are paying twice as much as the other half. The kicker -Azamara is advertising 50% discount on 2012 excursions!!!

Hello mms2770 –

I can understand your skepticism about the reintroduction of the 50% savings on Land Discoveries (LDS) program in 2012 and the likelihood that guests will experience a repetition of the problems that occurred this year when we did not clearly communicate the expiration date of March 31, 2011 of the 2011 Land Discoveries 50% offer.

In 2012, the Land Discoveries 50% savings will be a component of our standard pricing program throughout the year which means that shore excursions will be offered (based on availability) on all voyages regardless of any offers we have available. In 2011, we operated the LDS program as an “offer” which is often subject to change or cancellation. This distinction means you can count on this program all year long. Note: If Azamara were to introduce a new promotional offer on top of an already existing offer, then we will indicate the combinability rules at that time.

I’m sorry for your disappointment and I wish you a wonderful vacation on the Azamara Quest in November. Hopefully, we'll be able to welcome you onboard again!

Regards,

Bill Leiber

Chief Blogging Officer*

Azamara Club Cruises

I hear your disappointment. We missed it by a couple of weeks (we weren't even looking at Azamara until after March and learned about it only after we booked), but booked three anyway.

In this particular case, I think ignorance is bliss. You will enjoy your excursions more if you don't let it get to you, especially since there's very very little chance that the "offer" will be reinstated for the remainder of 2011 (in which case, it then creates unfairness to those that booked and sailed between April and the time of the reinstatement!). We actually didn't think about it when we left for the cruise and enjoyed all of our excursions. Hopefully you will too. Enjoy your cruise!

mms2770, when did you book your cruise? Many booked within final payment and supposedly have some other deal that those who booked earlier in the year do not have. In fact, some on our roll call (who do not have the excursion deal) have mentioned free transfers, pre-cruise hotel, and a steeply discounted cruise fare. I know for a fact that the November Quest cruises were originally suppose to go to Egypt and prices dropped when Egypt was canceled. Even the balcony for the price of an Outside promo was after March 31. Perhaps you have a great cruise fare?

Either way, I have been vocal that I don't care for some of the (confusing) marketing tactics and promotions (double Choice Air credits for some as another example) and in fact my cruise fare is at least $500.00 more than my DH's because we were not told last year about the Choice Air promo even though the booking code was on our reservation, booked our air direct and than could only rebook his through Choice Air for the cruise discount because his flights were originally with FFmiles while mine were direct (and non-refundable) with the airline. After over a year of complaints Azamara has refused any (even partial) credit on my fare even though it is their fault for not telling us about the promo which we found out about on these boards. It is the first time on any cruise where we are in the same stateroom and paying different cruise fares and I am not happy about paying $500.00 more than my DH (and it will be mentioned in my review as AZ has had over a year to make it right)!

6 out of 9 of our Shore Excursions currently do not even have the capacity to run right now, which is why I started this thread as I now have to scramble to set up some private excursions a month before departure.

I experienced a slightly different problem in November 2010 on Azamara Quest - and subsequently in January 2011 on Azamara Journey.

The "50% off shore shore excursions" promotion hadn't started. However, both cruises included an offer of on-board credit ($500 and $1,000 respectively). We intended to use these credits to purchase shore excursions.

Azamara cruise fares include many items that are chargeable extras on other cruise lines, so it would have been difficult to spend all of these credits on other items. However, when I tried to reserve excursions on-line, the Azamara website demanded payment in advance.

If I had paid for shore excursions by credit card, I would have been unable to use all of our on-board credit. Consequently, I had to wait until we had boarded the ship, before I could purchase any excursions. Other passengers had the same problem - and one of the shore excusions on Azamara Quest was nearly cancelled due to lack of support (because insufficient passengers had booked by 6 pm on embarkation day, when reservations closed).

Other cruise lines charge the cost of pre-reserved excursions to passengers' cabin accounts. I do not understand why Azamara (and Royal Caribbean & Celebrity) require payment in advance.

Archived