This Solstice review does make you wonder...

floridacruisers

I do not sail Solstice until next week, but I am sure there are some Solstice experts here...Who can tell us what verandah cabin(s) would be obstructed by a blue steel thingy? And I seriously doubt that any crew entertainment area would be high enough to impact a verandah cabin. Most of the crew areas are usually below the lowest passenger deck. Is this another 'reviewer' who has no other posts? EM

We were on this sailing and can attest to the truth about this blue rusty thing he is referring to. His description was most accurate. I was actually shocked when we got to our cabin and saw it. I could not tell from the deck plan before hand that this was there or I would have moven to another cabin in that category. What we figured out is was when we were on land and looked up to see just what this thing was, is the roof of one of the speciality restaurants that we see.

And yes to my surprise while laying in bed one afternoon with my curtains open and just sea gazing, workers appeared and it was not the experience cabin wise I expected. I did note that on my comment card about had I been informed, or had I been able to tell by looking myself etc., and of course the workers that was crazy. The cabin was one of the last three cabins in the aft, I believe it was 6103.

p.s. I did not experience the same issue he had with crew being located near us at all.

Did the housekeeping supervisor grant your wish and bring you a water pitcher? I'm about to embark on my first S class voyage and will find the lack thereof very annoying.

When we got to our cabin on Solstice we were suprised that we didn't have the water pitcher. The cabin steward explained that the S class ships no longer provided them. After explaining my need for large quantities of ice water for my medications, housekeeping made sure that one was provided and was refilled twice each day. No problem.

I was on the Solstice for the March 27th cruise to San Juan, St. Maarten and St Thomas and would like to add a few comments here.

Food .. My gentleman friend is picky, finicky and a very long list of things he will and wont eat and frankly I was very concerned about how the meals would go. He told the waiter in the MDR he has certain food issues and they said they would do their best the first night and if he didnt mind hanging around after they would talk to him after about his do's and don'ts. By the third night they came over to him and said Mr Peter, may we suggest "this" and we can subsitute this for this and change this for this or if you prefer ... etc. No problems at all, food was amazing.

Obstructed view .. we were on Deck 6 (6195) and had a tender boat outside our cabin which was up appr to knee level. No major deal as all I wanted was "air and a chair". Our first night out we had the Allure on our port side during the middle of night and I got a couple of amazing photos of just the lights which reminds me of a connect the dots puzzle. The view straight across was GREAT.

Ports .... DUH .... of course there will be locals directly outside the port trying to sell things to the rich tourists. You just have to walk past them and go into town and do as you do at home ... comparative shop.

Regarding the tour being cancelled ... two of the tour tickets we had mentioned "buses not up to US standards" ... I can well imagine that any of these buses could break down or go out of service and cause one of the tours to be cancelled if another bus is not available. They did not look unsafe just had definitively seen better days. And dont expect windows in buses and air conditioning is nature air blowing your hair all over the place. A hat with a strap is necessary.

I loved my trip and so did Mr Peter, food and all.

I don't know if this person's cabin was listed as being an obstructed view cabin, but I would be disappointed if I got to the ship and it had an obstruction that I didn't know about. I spend a lot of time on my balcony, so it would be annoying to have workers out there working and sanding for my entire cruise. I know they have to do upkeep to the ship, but maybe they shouldn't sell that cabin if there's going to be workers there the entire time. I'm pretty much on top of what the atmosphere around my cabin is when I select a cabin, but not all cruisers are that savvy. If I vacationed in a hotel for a week and they were working outside my window the whole time I'd be disappointed. Secondly, he/she said they made it very clear of a food allergy. Vegan isn't a bizarre food allergy. Many people eat vegan. I think it would surprise vegans and vegetarians to know that Celebrity uses animal stock in their vegetarian food choices. Yes, I'm assuming if he's that sensitive that he chose vegetarian items. Maybe the post did seem over the top, but that happens sometimes if you have a bad experience. This is Cruise Critic after all. People are supposed to come here and share experiences.

I don't know if this person's cabin was listed as being an obstructed view cabin, but I would be disappointed if I got to the ship and it had an obstruction that I didn't know about. I spend a lot of time on my balcony, so it would be annoying to have workers out there working and sanding for my entire cruise. I know they have to do upkeep to the ship, but maybe they shouldn't sell that cabin if there's going to be workers there the entire time. I'm pretty much on top of what the atmosphere around my cabin is when I select a cabin, but not all cruisers are that savvy. If I vacationed in a hotel for a week and they were working outside my window the whole time I'd be disappointed. Secondly, he/she said they made it very clear of a food allergy. Vegan isn't a bizarre food allergy. Many people eat vegan. I think it would surprise vegans and vegetarians to know that Celebrity uses animal stock in their vegetarian food choices. Yes, I'm assuming if he's that sensitive that he chose vegetarian items. Maybe the post did seem over the top, but that happens sometimes if you have a bad experience. This is Cruise Critic after all. People are supposed to come here and share experiences.

Thank you for voicing what I have been feeling, sometimes people on CC go on the attack against someone that dares to share a not great experience with Celebrity, (or any cruise line). We can only learn from Cruisers' experiences both good and bad. Isn't that why we read these posts?

Even if a post is over the top, this is a forum to tell others about our recent experiences with a cruise, a previous poster was correct, it is all about our freedom to express our opinions in a polite manner without fear of reprisals from other CCs' because the cruise line may have been "criticized." I'm just thankful they took the trouble to write a review and warn us about that machine.

By the way I too almost booked that cabin, it is AQ and it does not say anywhere that it is obstructed, unless I missed something. I know I'll be calling my TA on Monday to make doubly sure my present cabin doesn't have a big blue rusty window cleaning thingy parked outside our balcony. My husband would be furious! :)

Thank you for voicing what I have been feeling, sometimes people on CC go on the attack against someone that dares to share a not great experience with Celebrity, (or any cruise line). We can only learn from Cruisers' experiences both good and bad. Isn't that why we read these posts?

Even if a post is over the top, this is a forum to tell others about our recent experiences with a cruise, a previous poster was correct, it is all about our freedom to express our opinions in a polite manner without fear of reprisals from other CCs' because the cruise line may have been "criticized." I'm just thankful they took the trouble to write a review and warn us about that machine.

By the way I too almost booked that cabin, it is AQ and it does not say anywhere that it is obstructed, unless I missed something. I know I'll be calling my TA on Monday to make doubly sure my present cabin doesn't have a big blue rusty window cleaning thingy parked outside our balcony. My husband would be furious! :)

You're welcome.

Did the housekeeping supervisor grant your wish and bring you a water pitcher? I'm about to embark on my first S class voyage and will find the lack thereof very annoying.

Yes they did. However, when I asked our stateroom attendant in the first place, his answer was: there are no water pitcher on S Class ships. They wanna make money with you.

No comment.

I just feel sad that people who have looked forward to their holiday, have such a miserable time. There are, I am sure, many people who would love to have the opportunity to cruise. A shame but we must remember that "one man's meat is another man's poison"!!!!!:cool:

Archived