Canada & New England in August

Lostinthe50s

Need some help on planning a Canada and new england cruise on the Caribbean princess . We have already cruised on the Grand princess out of NY to the carribean.

1. Does anyone know how the weather is up there in August,will we be comfortable on the balcony in the evening as the temp can drop a lot at night.

2. Will the weather be comfortable for swimming?

3 Will we need to bring summer and fall clothes?

We always get a lot of use of a balcony cabin but will the weather hamper our enjoyment of it? Would love to be able to pack as light as possible.

Would appreciate any help someone can give me on making a decision to go on this cruise

Thank you

We travelled on the CB late August 2009. I wore capris and t's during the day and my DH wore shorts and golf shirts. We are from upstate NY so we are used to cool nights. You will need a sweater or light jacket for evenings or rainy days at it cools off quickly. Temps are usually in the mid to high 70's for the daytime. We are cruising on the CB in June on the same itinerary and are very excited. It was a great scenic cruise. I would highly recommend the blueberry ice cream in Bar Harbor.

My DH and I along with another couple took the Aug 26 cruise in 2009 on the CB. We are booked on the June 22nd sailing this year and can hardly wait. I am worried that it will be cooler than the end of August...as it takes along time to transition from Spring to Summer in New England. It is usually warm until the end of September (once it gets warm.) We had snow flurries today!!

We had a balcony cabin and sat out every night except one. We hit a big fog bank coming back to NY and we couldn't tell if it was night or day. Fog horn sounded all the time.

We live in Canada and August can be a difficult month to predict.

It can be hot during the day and cool during the evenings. It can be dry or very humid.

If you are sailing early in the month then think of summer in NY, if you are traveling near the end of the month then it can get somewhat cool during the evenings. Not cold but cool, the day's are usually warm to hot.

Sitting out on the balcony will never be a problem during this time of year.

I hope this helps.

P.S. just re-read your post. Swimming is great this time of year and all you should require is a light windbreaker just in case.

Hi,

We have done Canada and New England cruise three times. Once we left on 8/6. That cruise it rained and it was cold. I had a jacket and I could have used more. Another cruise we left 10/19 and the weather was beautiful. Just bring one thing warm to wear.

Maria

We have a saying here in New England about the weather: "If you don't like it, wait a minute.";). That's how unpredictable it can be, even in summer. Check the local 7-day forecast before you leave home to get an idea of what to expect, and be prepared for anything.:)

We travelled on the CB late August 2009. I wore capris and t's during the day and my DH wore shorts and golf shirts. We are from upstate NY so we are used to cool nights. You will need a sweater or light jacket for evenings or rainy days at it cools off quickly. Temps are usually in the mid to high 70's for the daytime. We are cruising on the CB in June on the same itinerary and are very excited. It was a great scenic cruise. I would highly recommend the blueberry ice cream in Bar Harbor.

We are cruising the Caribbean Princess out of NY on May 17th. I would love to hear more about your experiences and excursions.

We were on a Celebrity ship last year in August/September. The weather was unseasonably HOT and a hurricane decided to join us. It was very, very rough. Having said that, we've been to Canada/New England in September and October, prime 'cane months, and never had a problem.

We are cruising the Caribbean Princess out of NY on May 17th. I would love to hear more about your experiences and excursions.

I'm on the May 17th Sailing too. :) I saw you on our roll call. Anyway - my DH and I did this cruise in August 2009 and we had a wonderful time. Of course we missed Newport because of a hurricane so we had to stay in Brooklyn till we set sail at 5AM but that didnt stop us from enjoying the rest of the cruise !!! Now I'm looking forward to Newport even more this trip in a few weeks. TO THE OP ~ As far as the weather went the hurricane was ahead of us the whole way so we had gorgeous weather in Bar Harbour and Boston - in fact, my husband and I were looking at our cruise pictures from the trip this very morning. We used our balcony every single day and I wore capris and t shirts during the day come to think of it. The weather was nice and pleasant - never hot at all. DO NOT MISS ACADIA NATIONAL PARK in Bar Harbor, Maine - it was awe inspiring and go see the Thunderhole and take the bus tour of Boston - it was the best money we ever spent. We went to Cambridge to see Harvard University, did a little shopping, the tour guide was very informative - I don't have a large attention span for history etc....but this tour was the BEST. You got to see many points of interest in Boston, including the Old North Church, the Steam Tea Pot (google that - it's very cool) The Freedom Trail etc. I can't wait to get back there this time to go to the North End. I hope you have a great trip. I think CAN/NE cruises are among the nicest.

:)

Archived