Delos - Worth visiting

antoniusp

If you are into ancient history, Delos is definitely worth it! I very much enjoyed seeing it and trying to imagine how this little island became so very important in the ancient world.

There's a lot to see. I went on an excursion from the ship (due to our time of docking, it would've been impossible to do it on my own) and we got a fairly good tour then had time to wander around the island on our own and visit the little museum on site.

The avenue of lions alone was worth it for me. :)

Its really a personal thing. DW and I love to explore ruins and have been to many different sites throughout Europe and Asia. Although the history of Delos is fascinating, we think the ruins are disappointing when compared to many other places. So much about ruins seems to be marketing rather then the ruins. For example, Ostia Antica is an amazing place and only a short 10 min ride from Rome's FCO airport. Yet you will find legions of folks who have been to Pompeii and Herculanium but have never heard (or bothered with) Ostia. Part of the reason is because many folks do not even know Ostia exists. Well, the cruise lines do a great job marketing Delos hence it is well trodden by cruise ship passengers. If you have never been there and do not mind giving up some beach time on Mykonos (we love the beaches on this island) then its worth a visit.

Hank

We liked Delos -- we took a tour with one of the guides who hang out at the entrance. That was useful, because he explained what the "piles of rocks" were (or used to be). After we finished with the guide, we hiked up the mountain. That had to be my favorite part. There's a path that goes up the mountain and there are different things to explore along the way, like the ruins of a house, an archway, etc. Most of the people visiting Delos, at least when we were there, chose to stay at the bottom, so there weren't many people on the mountain.

We were there last year and really enjoyed it. There was a lot to see and I don't think it is just a pile of stones. Soem beautiful mosaics on the floors, etc.

Avenue of Lions was spectacular. We did the excursion through Princess and then had plenty of time to spend money back in Mykonos.

We might never return so I am glad we did this tour.

Cheryl

Wow....Hank you took the words out of my mouth-Ostia is a jewel and amazing how few know about it!!

We love ruins, and while we liked Delos very much I would say that other sites for us were more spectacular. It is also a boat ride back and forth as it is on an island and the boat ride was very choppy. We love Mykynos, so whatever you choose you should leave time for wandering around Mykynos as it is lovely and not to be missed.

If your ship is visiting Kusadasi then of course Ephesus is a must and you MUST do the Terrace Houses (extra but so well worth it). We also enjoyed visiting Delphi, but few ships get to that area. And, of course Pompeii if you stop in Naples.

Enjoy whatever you do.

• 3 weeks later...

Even in the rain we thought it was worth it. That morning was the only rain we had on our whole trip, but we went anyway and loved it, there is much to see on that small island and it is very interesting, I would love to go back and do it with nicer weather!

Archived