Not so Normal Must Pack Items?

jamiehaas27

What are your not so usual items that you must pack for your cruise?

small magnets.....you can tack up daily programs, excursion ticket,etc. on the walls..doesn't work on all ships, but most. this keeps your desk nice and neat

Powdered Gatorade. Add it to water after being in the sun all day to replenish the electrolytes.

GREAT IDEA! You never can be too careful. We take small magnets to tack up daily planners, excursion tickets or notes, etc. on the walls. Doesn't work on all ships, but most. This keeps your desk nice and neat.

What are your not so usual items that you must pack for your cruise?

We always bring medications for stomach and bowel problems. Often the change of water, or traveling, or food can cause you problems. The LAST thing ypu want to do is go to the ship's doctor. Not only will they charge you $300 but they will restrict you to your cabin for the remainder of the cruise thinking you got Norovirus or something.

If you wear glasses and lose the little screw holding the arm to the rest of the glasses, you'll understand.;) Small pocket-sized repair kits are great for those emergencies! Also, pack your own Imodium in case of tummy upsets. A fellow passenger who had over-indulged on rich food on our Alaskan cruise ended up quarantined for 2 days when she sent her husband to the 'Sick Bay' to get some Imodium (which she had forgotten to pack). She was told that if she left her cabin, she'd find her bags on the dock and would have to find her own way home from Alaska! Next time she's sworn that she'll go pounding on cabin doors asking for Imodium before she goes to Sick Bay!

Small clock with back light.

Lynn (FL)

3/2011 Disney Dream

2/2010 Emerald Princess

5/2009 Disney Wonder

2/2009 Grandeur of the Seas

5/2008 Caribbean Princess

3/2007 Celebrity Century

3/2006 Majaesty of the Seas

8/1999 Celebrity Galaxy

4/1996 Monarch of the Seas

6/1988 Premier Atlantic (Big Red Boat)

2/1987 Premier Oceanic (Big Red Boat)

3/1977 NCL Starwood

I have a small purse with a zipper pocket that holds my room key. It is just big enough to hold a book and sunglasses or readers. When I go ashore the zipper pocket holds a credit card, money and drivers license too. It goes on every cruise with me.

We also take the thermal cups with lids. It's great for tea or lemonade and the drinks last a long time.

Marneq:)

About the only thing I can add is an over-the-door shoe rack for the bathroom to keep all of the misc items in. Like the idea of colored highlighters - I used the ones we took a lot. Also, I like a small tray to keep by my makeup mirror for earrings, lipstick, etc to use when I am getting ready. Kept things from rolling all over.

Why did they confiscate your power strips and extension cords?:confused::confused::confused:

I have yet to take my first cruise (a week from Sunday!) but from what I've been reading here, I think they were concened about electricty use.

Rather than drinking from plastic (yuck) and then having to find a recycle bin, I bought a Klean Kanteen Stainless Steel Water Bottle -- with a (nylon web) harness for slinging it over my shoulder. It's easy to wash out; it doesn't 'flavor' the water at all, and when empty, it goes through (TSA and shipboard) security screenings just fine. (They can see inside 'cause I put it through with the top off.)

I also pack a travel mug -- morning coffee in my own mug means I get the size I want and don't have to burn my fingers on cardboard!

I also bring a little surge suppressor: the Belkin Mini Surge Protector Dual USB Charger, It gives me three 3-prong outlets and two USB outlets! Charges my camera(s) batteries (I bring their chargers), netbook, MP3 player (the Sansa Clip: I bring 3 of them with different podcast categories on each!), and anything that needs charging AND it protects my gear from surges!

yup, lots of dollar bills, notebook for getting emails of crew and people you meet, and business cards to give out mine. Only thing I missed having was a source of radio news - I am used to listening to it while I get ready. I actually would have liked something to get local radio stations when we pulled into port, not just my own music. If we were close I could get it on my walkman (yup, old fashioned walkman) but I don't have speakers for it. It's a nice way to get a flavour for the place before you get off.

Immodium, duct tape, soap for hand-washing delicates/bathing suits, and I never go anywhere without my GSM quad band SIM unlocked phone. I pop into town, get a $5 SIM card and can call/text anywhere for super cheap.

We take our backpacking headlamps. We either hang them from the bedside lamp or place them on the bedside tables. They are very useful for reading in bed or on the balcony at night, using to get to the bathroom bruise free at night and always nice to have in case of that rare emergency. I like the hands free aspect of them better than a flashlight.

Seriously?? Headlamps? Do you not cruise on ships that have lamps above each bed? Or...any lights at all? Why bring two big bulky headlamps...that I'm going to assume must look pretty sexy strapped to your head while going to the bathroom....when you can just take a small nightlight for the bathroom.

Seriously?? Headlamps? Do you not cruise on ships that have lamps above each bed? Or...any lights at all? Why bring two big bulky headlamps...that I'm going to assume must look pretty sexy strapped to your head while going to the bathroom....when you can just take a small nightlight for the bathroom.

hahaha. that image is another item left too the records of '' whats behind the cabin door stays behind the cabin door ''. :D

Bandaids..try finding one on the ship when you have a blister on your foot from those *new* dress shoes :(

An extra pair of perscription glasses. I actually had a lens fall out of mine while looking over the side. I was reading half cocked all week :p

I have done a lot of camping and hiking in addition to cruising and never go on a cruise without Dr. Scholls "mole skin". It is the best thing to use for a "hot spot" where a shoe or boot is rubbing. It will prevent blistering.

Once we broke a ring on a should bag - the ring that attached the shoulder strap to the bag. I now keep a couple of cable ties in each bag. They take up no room and are super strong.

I bring a small flat cotton tote for use around the ship. Packs flat. I carry my water bottle, book or journal, camera, daily program and a small camera, maybe mini binoculars. I like to hang out on the promenade deck in a deck chair. The binoculars are for looking at ships, birds, dolphin, shorelines... all entertaining for me.

I use a lanyard for my room card, after having the front desk punch a hole in it for me.

She does list a Part Time TA in her info.

Yes...I am a part time TA (VERY part time), but my list of cruises has nothing to do with it. I paid the same amount for those cruises as the Average Joe. (the special deals that travel agents sometimes gets just hasn't worked out for my husband and I. But one of these days....)

I am out of town right now, (on a non-cruise vaca) and internet is limited but I will post my list of "unusual items/must haves" later (although most of them have already been mentioned).

Archived