Not so Normal Must Pack Items?

jamiehaas27

I suspect that it is his wife who packs all the essential little things.

My own DH just throws his clothes into his suitcase at the last minute, but I have to think of all the little things.

First day on board conversations go something like:

"Did you happen to pack nail clippers, Burm?"

In my bag on the bathroom top shelf.

"Do we have toothpaste?"

Bottom shelf, bathroom.

"I wish I had packed a lint brush."

In the top drawer.

"Do you have any one dollar bills?"

You get the picture. :p

LOL Oh boy! Can't tell you how many times we've had conversations just like that!

MszKitty,

Did you use to work in the Cruise business and an entertainer. That is one hell of a lot of cruises.

No...just LOVE cruises. But take into consideratino that list starts back in 1983. And, if you look at most of them, you will see that about half are the 3 night LA to Ensenada itineraries. Hubby and I used to do Vegas but found the 3 night LA-Ensenada cruise works better for us. We are approx 1 hour from the port verses 4 hours from Vegas. It works out perfect for us because he loves to gamble and I like to spend hours in the piano bar and/or disco. On the ship, we know exactly where each other is and we can find each other within a matter of minutes. We could never do that in Vegas (like, really?...I'm not going to wander off alone or go to a nightclub alone in Vegas.)

logansnonna wrote

Celebrity provided bino's but taking my own next time.

What are binos?

Binoculars!

I used to take my own pair and the first pair were too heavy and bulky so I bought a pair of lightweight ones. This year I have downsized again and will take a 10x25 monocular which is very lightweight and just pops in my shirt pocket.

I have yet to take my first cruise (a week from Sunday!) but from what I've been reading here, I think they were concened about electricty use.

No, they are concerned about fires. They will allow them for CPAP machines and will even provide them for that. Sometimes let you have one for other purposes, but if they find them they will check them and decide if they are too worn or unsafe and if they decide that (you never know what they will decide) then they will confiscate them and return them at the end of the cruise.

No, they are concerned about fires. They will allow them for CPAP machines and will even provide them for that. Sometimes let you have one for other purposes, but if they find them they will check them and decide if they are too worn or unsafe and if they decide that (you never know what they will decide) then they will confiscate them and return them at the end of the cruise.

I was thinking of that, actually. Not the $$$, but the possiblity of overblown circuits.

Thank you for some good ideas, fellow cruisers. I have a question now. Why do so many of you suggest taking a power strip along? What do you use it for? I do use a hair dryer most days, and both of us recharge our cell phones the day before the cruise ends, just in case. What else is there to want one for?

Thank you for some good ideas, fellow cruisers. I have a question now. Why do so many of you suggest taking a power strip along? What do you use it for? I do use a hair dryer most days, and both of us recharge our cell phones the day before the cruise ends, just in case. What else is there to want one for?

some cruisers take laptops, kindles, camera gear, vidio things for the tv, ipads, clocks and many other plug in devices. there are jokes in earlier threads on the site about crockpots and blenders being used in the cabins :D. i only take my own travel hairdryer and curling iron which is unplugged unless i am using them. my phone gets charged during the last night for the deboarding day. the ship just cant handle all the electricity that gets sucked up in the cabins if it gets out of control. so the powerstips are now on the prohibited itmes list.

I have to have a magnifying mirror to put on my makeup...bad eyes. :o But we do use it for all of the other mentioned things except blender, microwave and crock pot. ;)

I also bring a little surge suppressor: the Belkin Mini Surge Protector Dual USB Charger, It gives me three 3-prong outlets and two USB outlets! Charges my camera(s) batteries (I bring their chargers), netbook, MP3 player (the Sansa Clip: I bring 3 of them with different podcast categories on each!), and anything that needs charging AND it protects my gear from surges!

oh my that is much better than a bulky surge protector..... thanks a lot

Well, here's something that might sound silly....or not. If you are cruising with a diaper-clad child, or (if you're like a friend-of-a-friend of mine) you have to use those "incontinent bladder pads", bring along a pack of scented doggie bags with the tie-handles. They're just the right size to contain those "disposables" until the cabin steward empties the trash each day. I get mine at Wal-Mart or Petco (Petco's are better)....because I have a dog! They usually come 90 to a box, and the boxes are small and easy to pack.

Mole skin and black Iodex.

Only had to use the mole skin once but without it my walking would have been very limited. It comes in two thicknesses. Just the best for blisters.

Black iodex ( for those of you unfamilar with it) is a salve made of iodine and petroleum gel. I couldn't have raised my children without it. Good for any and all nicks, scratches, hangnails, festers, splinters etc. can be bought over the counter at most drug stores.

Well, here's something that might sound silly....or not. If you are cruising with a diaper-clad child, or (if you're like a friend-of-a-friend of mine) you have to use those "incontinent bladder pads", bring along a pack of scented doggie bags with the tie-handles. They're just the right size to contain those "disposables" until the cabin steward empties the trash each day. I get mine at Wal-Mart or Petco (Petco's are better)....because I have a dog! They usually come 90 to a box, and the boxes are small and easy to pack.

This would also work if you like to use wet wipes instead of the horrible tp on the ships. :o The wipes aren't good for the septic system.

I also bring along a highlighter for the very same reason. Mine is orange, naturally. I also bring 4 box clips (available at your supermarket, and useful for many things) and the tablet version of Pepto-Bismol. If you need to know why, you've never gotten the Turista Two-step!

I last used those box clips when I clipped them to the bottom of my suit jacket and tied my shoelaces through them. I hung the jacket on the bathroom door whilst showering and all the wrinkles disappeared. Thanks, Mr. Wizard!

My cell phone charger does not fit in the outlet on Carnival ships because the outlet is right between the vanity and the mirror. The "box" on the charger prevents it from plugging in. The one behind the TV makes it all hang suspended and the one behind the nightstand is too hard to get to. All I need is a few inches of power strip and everything fits. I found one at IKEA that is only 12 inches long and is perfect.:D

The clear over the door shoe holder works very nicely! Got mine a Target , some times you have to adapt it a little (cut some small holes in it to fit over the towel hooks etc.) It holds all your shaving items, medicine bottles, suntan lotion , nail clippers, shampoo etc. the list goes on and on. A night lite sometimes works although there is usually not an outlet in the bathroom. A permanent marker is always nice to have around too. You can never have too many zip lock bags of various sizes. (Take some ship food on your excusions etc.) Have Fun!!

I like the pop-up hamper idea- I have one too. If you sail on a ship with a laundromat (an absolute life-saver) pack some Purex sheets that have detergent and fabric softner in a sheet you just put in washer- no spilled soap and they take up little room.

I ♥ me Marmite-Mymate, too, but I think I can do without it for a week!

But I don't see anything odd about bringing extra pair of glasses -- wouldn't want to end up like poor old Burgess Meredith on that classic Twilight Zone episode.

What!!? This is my all-time FAVORITE episode!!!

Archived