Seasickness

That will depend. On our cruise, taken in late April/early May, we only had "rough" weather going to and from Rarotonga. We didn't get seasick, but others did - I guess it just depends on you and your tolerence. I prevent it with ginger - Ginger ale, ginger snaps, Chinese ginger food, ginger tablets, etc. Works for me. You'll have a great time tho ... just don't dwell on it too much.

You've picked a great cruise ... nowhere more beautiful than FP! :)

In reading reviews over the last few months..many folks have mentioned more seasickness on this smaller ship than the bigger ships. This will be my 1st ever cruise so I will have nothing to compare it to..but seems that more folks go down with seasickness on this cruise becuase it does rock and roll more. I am sensitive one..so I will have to arm myself with patches or pills or something..yikes!

Yes, the TP does have a lot more movement than the larger ships. One thing to keep in mind is if you take measures BEFORE you sail, you will be a lot better off. Don't wait until you are feeling ill before trying to do something about it, it may be too late then and you will miss out on so much.

If I may suggest something that has worked for many of our friends. Begin taking Bonine or some sort of seasickness prevention a couple of nights before you sail, before you go to bed. Then when you board the ship, take it as directed until you get your sea legs. If the ship should hit rough seas, take it as directed even if you aren't feeling too bad. Prevention with this sort of thing is the only way to keep it under control as once it takes hold it can really be miserable.

We had a very long line of passengers outside the Drs. office onboard waiting for seasickness shots and many that got violently ill because they did not come prepared.

So, take note from all the reviews, they are a warning of something that can be prevented with a little bit of effort by you before you sail.

And have a wonderful time in Tahiti.

My wife and I get seasick and brought along our battery operated relief bands in anticipation of needing them. The TP does move around more than any cruise ship we have been on, but we never got seasick. Carol used the relief band periodically for the first two days to prevent getting sick and then just left it in the cabin, since the movement wasn't making her sick. I don't know why, but the TP movement just didn't bother us.

Hi Mike, I read you have the relief bands. Have you had good luck with them? I am really thinking about getting one, but the cost is kind of stoppoing me only if doesn't work. Thanks, Halo

Hi Halo,

We bought the relief bands on eBay a couple years ago before our Mediterranean cruise. We were as concerned about getting car sick on the Amalfi coast and other land tours as we were about getting seasick on the ship. As luck would have it, I have yet to need them for myselfon the last 4 cruises. I guess I have just been real lucky or I am getting immune. I sure hope so, but doubt it. We have loaned them to folks who got sick when we were on a small boat and they helped them out a bunch. I also loaned mine to one of my employees for morning sickness and it helped her. Carol has found that it has helped her on some of the smaller boats we have been on.

We got ours on eBay for around $50 each. You have to be patient or use a sniping tool. If you need one right away, I would recommend drugstore.com, they have prices around $80 most of the time.

• 2 weeks later...
That will depend. On our cruise, taken in late April/early May, we only had "rough" weather going to and from Rarotonga. We didn't get seasick,
We were on Pacific Princess II, the sister ship to the Tahitian Princess. Open seas were no problem for our voyage. We've had rougher sailing in the Sun and Grand class ships - the Pacific handled the seas just fine.

We had been concerned about the "smaller ships" in the open ocean, but not after experiencing the Pacific Princess II. Modern stabilizers really do stabilize the ship to a great extent.

No one can predict the weather or how your body will react to motion - so do come prepared as others have suggested. They do sell packages of Dramamine in the gift shop. We bought some as a safeguard but didn't use it. Have a great trip.

Hi Mike, thanks for the tip on the relief bands. My daughter and I both bid (and won on ebay) our relief bands last week. We can't wait to try them out. We are both going to be on separate cruises soon.:D We can feel sick at just the thought of motion sickness. :eek: I know a lot of it is probably in my mind, but it's hard to fight. Thanks, Halo

Archived