Best 7 day Alaskan cruise???

joy1rn

I am trying to plan our first cruise to Alaska and have read that Holland America is the way to go but then I see there are so many different ones. Please give me some pros and cons on the different ones. I thought round trip out of Vancouver or Seattle were the only choices and then I see there are one way cruises also. Any advice for a first timer to Alaska would be appreciated.

We have only cruised HAL to Alaska once, but it was an awesome cruise. The service on HAL is top-notch and the entire experience was amazing.

We took the Zuiderdam out of Vancouver because we only had 7 days and wanted to go via the inside passage. 7 day cruises out of Seattle do not do the inside passage in both directions, they travel west of Vancouver island. We wanted to actually see something other that the ocean, and the Inside Passage is absolutely beautiful.

Our trip took us to Skagway, Glacier Bay (the main reason for our trip), Tracy Arm, Juneau, and Ketchikan. We did not spend a lot of money on tours at each port, but rather chose to walk around and explore each port. The money we saved in port was spent on our cabin - a Superior Verandah Suite. Also, we found that the airfares into and out of Anchorage were exhorbitant, so a 1 way cruise was not in our budget.

This is something you can also get advice on at the Alaska Port of Call board. But, here's my take on it:

Seattle round trip

Pros: cheap(er) airfare to Seatac airport. No passport required (I think everyone should have a passport, but - ) Inside almost any U.S. resident's comfort zone, so great for new cruisers.

Cons: "Pacific route" usually, not the Inside Passage, which means less scenic on sea days and potential for rocky weather. Due to arcane laws, an almost pointless stop in Victoria. Victoria is lovely, but the stop is too short and too late normally to do much other than a brief pub crawl.

Vancouver round trip

Pros: scenic Inside Passage route. On Volendam and Zuiderdam, an extra scenic cruising day, both Glacier Bay and Tracy Arm.

Cons: more expensive airfare to YVR (possible fix: Amtrak or bus transfer from Seattle to Vancouver). Hassle of customs. Canada Place terminal had some terrible lines last season.

Vancouver or Seward one way:

Pros: again, 2 scenic cruising days on Statendam and Zaandam (Glacier Bay and the College Glaciers) A chance to add days to your trip and take an overland trip in Alaska and see Denali and the Kenai peninsula.

Cons: expensive open jaw airfare. Hassle and expense of the train connection between Seward port and Anchorage airport. (Partial fix: most people recommend a southbound, starting at Anchorage. Gets the hassle of the airport/train transfer over when you're fresh.)

Alaska board:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/forumdisplay.php?s=&daysprune=100&f=55

Also: check out how many ships will be in port with you, and the "port load" (total number of passengers). This can affect your enjoyment in the busy Alaska ports. Websites:

http://www.cruisetimetables.com/

http://cruisett.com/ports.php?

http://www.cruisereport.com/PortsOfCallList.aspx

Patricia gave a very thorough explanation which should help you sort through things.

Here are my current favorites:

14 day HAL out of Seattle. It actually sails to the east of Vancouver Island going NB and visits several ports not often visited by other cruises.

Round trip HAL out of Vancouver that goes to Glacier Bay and Tracy Arm Fjord....very scenic itinerary.

One way Princess Southbound which visits both Glacier Bay and Hubbard Glacier.

For those wanting a 7 day Round trip out of Seattle I like the HAL Glacier Bay and Sitka itinerary.

Although I keep reading that the open jaws (multi-city option on the airline websites) are so costly, I have to say that in 2008 we were not talking a big difference at all. I also do not see any problem on a one-way to Seward and tranferring to Anchorage. The train ride was one of the highlights of our trip...so so scenic!!!! We stayed in Seward for two days and took the train to Anchorage and then continued on with an independent land tour. My sisters took the cruiseline train transfer and loved it!!!

Main thing is to study the ports and glaciers and decide what it is that you really want to see. Check port times so you will have enough time in port to do and see all you want. Then make a decision about itinerary. You might end up choosing HAL and you might find someone else offers what you want. Key is getting what YOU want.

My only caution is if you have glaciers as a priority, I would not choose an itinerary that only goes to Tracy Arm Fjord. It is a beautiful fjord and well worth including, but if it is your only scenic sailing, you may or may not see the glaciers at the end of the fjord. The fjord can get jammed with ice and the cruiseship may or may not get to the glaciers at the dead end of the fjord.

The others have commented pretty thoroughly on the options. We did the Amsterdam 7 day round trip last year. The only negative, if you can call it that, was the 1st night as it is in open ocean and was pretty rocky. We're doing the Inside Passage on the Volendam this year and, although I'll miss Sitka, the Tracy Arm and Skagway are what I'm really looking forward to. Both cruises go yo Juneau, Ketichican and Glacier Bay.

VBMom87 - thanks for clarifying my so-called "cons" on the one way cruises.

It's true my opinion of that train is skewed. I continued south back to Vancouver, and just helped get a senior onto the train. Acting as pack mule, with hundreds of sleepy eyed fellow travellers to keep you company at oh:dark hundred is NOT the fun part of that trip!

I would recommend the Wednesday-Wednesday 7-day Inside Passage roundtrip from/to Vancouver. This itinerary gives you Glacier Bay and Tracy Arm Fjord; Juneau, Skagway, and Ketchikan ports of call; and the inside passage on sea days. Departing and returning on Wednesday means that the ports are less crowded than if you depart and return on Saturday. And the Wednesday departures are on the Volendam, a smaller ship than the Saturday departures on the Zuiderdam, so again fewer people in port each day.

We did this cruise in the summer of 2007 when the Wednesday departures were on the Zaandam and it was wonderful.

There is no such thing as "best" there are likely better / smarter lines to look at first given one's destination. For Alaska everyone should look at HAL and Princess, not just one of the two big ones.

They both offer the most sailings but each has a different style/theme. To say HAL is better than Princess depends highly on your priorities.

If budget, schedule and cost aren't too a limiting factor one way is always better. If roundtrip Vancover has the slight edge in sailing east of Vancouver Island but that is a small advantage.

Whatever you pick get Glacier Bay!

I am trying to plan our first cruise to Alaska and have read that Holland America is the way to go but then I see there are so many different ones. Please give me some pros and cons on the different ones. I thought round trip out of Vancouver or Seattle were the only choices and then I see there are one way cruises also. Any advice for a first timer to Alaska would be appreciated.

Last year we did a 7 day round trip out of Seattle on the Carnival Spirit to Alaska. We are now in the early planning stages for a 7 day round trip out of Vancouver on HAL. We are planning on flying into Seattle then taking a bus to Vancouver. The bus is only 35 dollars each way or so I've read.

something to consider -- AIR

check out your air fares for round trip to seattle and vancouver

then check out your one way fares to get to seattle or vanouver and then returning home from anchorage -- or vice versa

those prices might help you decide what is best for your budget

I agree with one of the previous posters - the best 7 day is the Volendam out of Vancouver on a Wed. We did this in Sept of 2009 and had a great time. Did Tracey Arm viewing, Glacier Bay viewing, Ketchikan, Juneau and Skagway (great train ride). Lots to do and see, plus you also get the inside passage route which is scenic and easy sailing.

We also got a promo from HAL which included one night pre-cruise in Fairmont Waterfront. Very nice place place right across the street from the pier - Canada Place.

Yes, the air was a bit more, but worth it IMO. Now that they have the Skyrail right to/from the airport to the pier (about 3 short blocks), access is quick, easy and inexpensive, if you are able to manage your luggage (the rail cars have extra room for suitcases).

I did alot of homework before selecting this cruise, and am glad I did.

DaveOKC

I agree with one of the previous posters - the best 7 day is the Volendam out of Vancouver on a Wed. We did this in Sept of 2009 and had a great time. Did Tracey Arm viewing, Glacier Bay viewing, Ketchikan, Juneau and Skagway (great train ride). Lots to do and see, plus you also get the inside passage route which is scenic and easy sailing.

We also got a promo from HAL which included one night pre-cruise in Fairmont Waterfront. Very nice place place right across the street from the pier - Canada Place.

Yes, the air was a bit more, but worth it IMO. Now that they have the Skyrail right to/from the airport to the pier (about 3 short blocks), access is quick, easy and inexpensive, if you are able to manage your luggage (the rail cars have extra room for suitcases).

I did alot of homework before selecting this cruise, and am glad I did.

DaveOKC

Glad to hear you liked it so much. It is one cruise I have often recommended. Those wanting to go in the early part of the cruising season should be aware that access to Tracy Arm could be compromised due to ice jams. At times the cruiseships detour to Endicot Arm. I haven't been myself to Endicot Arm. Some say it is beautiful, but others who have been to both Tracy Arm and Endicot say Tracy Arm is superior.

Archived