Sneaking booze aboard

I thought I'd save a little money and sneak a bottle of Grey Goose in our luggage. I filled an empty Smart Water bottle with that wonderful clear and delicious liquid. I put the vodka filled bottle into a gallon plastic bag with a full bottle of Smart Water (to throw them off) and filled 3 other gallon bags with 16oz bottles of Kirkland brand water - 14 in total.

When we got our bags we had an orange tag that told us that the ships security had confiscated our bottle of "rum" and that we would not be getting it back. They left us our other bottles of water - Man were we in awe of their security!

So the moral of the story is ... don't bother smuggling booze, they'll confiscate it.

Happy sails

~ Liz

I'm not enough of a drinker to try to sneak alcohol on board (I'd sooner try to sneak a case of Diet Mt. Dew on board)

.....BUT.....

my sister was successful this past fall in getting two full-sized bottles of Maker's Mark onto the Serenade by wrapping them as gifts and sending them through in the checked luggage. These actually were CC meet & mingle gifts for a swap so if they didn't make it she wasn't going to be too upset by it anyway. She considered it more of a challenge than anything

She also wrapped a $10 bill in each package on the outside chance that the handlers would take the cash and leave the alcohol.

I had a bet with her that neither bottle would make it to the room. Well, don't ya know I lost that bet times two!!! :eek::eek:

Maybe the x-ray tech sneezed when that image came across the screen??

Then again this is the cruise where security allowed another couple we had met on the CC boards to re-board at one of the ports with a sports bottle full of Absinthe they had bought and didn't want to pour out!!

I thought I'd save a little money and sneak a bottle of Grey Goose in our luggage. I filled an empty Smart Water bottle with that wonderful clear and delicious liquid. I put the vodka filled bottle into a gallon plastic bag with a full bottle of Smart Water (to throw them off) and filled 3 other gallon bags with 16oz bottles of Kirkland brand water - 14 in total.

When we got our bags we had an orange tag that told us that the ships security had confiscated our bottle of "rum" and that we would not be getting it back. They left us our other bottles of water - Man were we in awe of their security!

So the moral of the story is ... don't bother smuggling booze, they'll confiscate it.

Happy sails

~ Liz

Thanks for spreading the fantastic news. It´s good to know RCI catches up and enforces the rule. They should pay a bonus to the folks screening the luggage for any booze eliminated.

my sister was successful this past fall in getting two full-sized bottles of Maker's Mark onto the Serenade by wrapping them as gifts and sending them through in the checked luggage. These actually were CC meet & mingle gifts for a swap so if they didn't make it she wasn't going to be too upset by it anyway. She considered it more of a challenge than anything

I adore Maker's Mark -- just discovered it this spring, a friend bought me a bottle from the USA!

Happy sails

~ Liz

you didn't do enough to get it on... they will catch that every time... good effort

Happy sails

~ Liz

They will never return any alcohol that is not in a sealed container.

Rum Runners work just fine on the Allure... even during Spring Break.

And even with the magical, mystical powers of RCI to sniff out liquor.

:rolleyes:

Good to know. Our Rum Runners were discovered and disposed of on our cruise on Independence last March.

Went on Allure 10th - 17th April. Out of a group of 8, 4 of us smuggled on alcohol with no problems ... we put it in a variety of bottles including water bottles, mouthwash bottles, shampoo bottles (all having gone through a thorough cleaning process). We put some in checked baggage and carried some in hand baggage, none was confiscated. We fully expected for most, if not all of it to be taken away, but wanted a challenge. We were shocked when it all arrived in our rooms safe and sound, and found that drinks on the boat weren't that expensive anyway, so a lot of it wasn't drunk and discarded at the end of the cruise. Spoke to others who had had alcohol confiscated, but it only seemed to be those who had made little effort, and had just kept the booze in the original packaging and tried to hide in their suitcase. If water bottles are on the top of bags in hand luggage, they are shaken, but if they are hidden at the bottom and not seen by the naked eye, they don't seem to bother. Security at the visiting ports seemed to be more thorough than at Fort Lauderdale. From what I've gathered, the worst thing that can happen is that if you try it, you may lose what you take on.

016.jpg.b0dbff50b4d004682ab2cea5828149d2.jpg

• 1 year later...

Wow, so surprised as to how many people have been caught or had trouble. We have always taken alcohol on board (Carnival) , in plain view, just wrapped in bubble wrap/ziploc bags, one in each checked bag - even the kids luggage - don't judge it's our vacation too!.:) And never had anything said to us or confiscated, ..getting very nervous as we are cruising next week on RCI (without the kids this time!) and had planned on taking some wine...might just try it to see what happens and will report back to everyone on our experience....

4 for 4 with the Rum Runners. I find that using a little creativity helps… putting the rum runners in with some tooth brushes and other bathroom items makes them blend into the bag a little more. I also suspect that some screeners are better than others. Using the small ones and lining my toiletry bag with them also works well… once again it makes things less obvious.

I always find it funny how quick people are to make judgments about booze but yet smuggle other items on and break other rules and procedures.

4 for 4 with the Rum Runners. I find that using a little creativity helps… putting the rum runners in with some tooth brushes and other bathroom items makes them blend into the bag a little more. I also suspect that some screeners are better than others. Using the small ones and lining my toiletry bag with them also works well… once again it makes things less obvious.

I always find it funny how quick people are to make judgments about booze but yet smuggle other items on and break other rules and procedures.

I agree....the same people who ignore the rules about booze are the same people who complain about chair hoggers or MDR dress guidelines....

Hypocrites...

Happy sails

~ Liz

Water bottle is a bust 99% of the time.

Happy sails

~ Liz

VERY surprised that they opened your luggage without you present. If I ever have anything questionable in my luggage, the luggage is held in Security and, I have to go to Security and personally unzip the luggage. I’ve even been called to security because of a few bottles of water.

M

VERY surprised that they opened your luggage without you present. If I ever have anything questionable in my luggage, the luggage is held in Security and, I have to go to Security and personally unzip the luggage. I’ve even been called to security because of a few bottles of water.

M

Was your luggage locked? I had mine gone through (it wasn't locked)

D

Just curious, as we have used rum runners a couple of times with no issue, in our luggage, but I have always wondered how easy it would be to just simply put them in my clothing/pockets as I board? 2 rum runner type flasks in my pants pockets could easily go through, since I really don't ever remember being searched.....Has anyone ever been personally searched ?

D

I wouldn't take any expensive wine or booze onboard just in case.

Have an awesome cruise ;

~ Liz

Wine , in the bottle, is the easiest for them to catch. In our experience, we’ve ALWAYS gotten an unopened bottle of wine back on the last evening or the morning just prior to leaving the ship. Anything opened liquid, or in another container ( like a flask) will be disposed of, but you will get to keep the container.

M

Was your luggage locked? I had mine gone through (it wasn't locked)

D

No. Not locked. While in line, lots of the luggage was not locked. Security would not touch the luggage to open it.

Luggage is scanned again with you present. They will not put their hands near the opened suitcase but will say something like, "there is a bottle, please get is for us"

I guess they don't to be accused of stealing anything.

They are always very polite.

M

ps - we don't bother taking anything alcohol anymore. If we bring a few bottels of water, we bring them in a carry-on.

M

I also had bottles taken from my suitcase while not present.

Had three of the small airline bottles of liquor in my cosmetic bag. When the luggage came to room, there was one of the orange tags, stating they had confiscated them.

I keep the orange tag for the scrapbook!!!!

Archived