Cabins

cruisingbarb

We had a Category 5 cabin in the bow of the ship on our last cruise and loved it (even though it was small and the bed was 4' off the ground). We're thinking of booking another cruise on Star Clipper/Flyer but were thinking this time we might book a Category 5 cabin in the aft. Has anyone booked both or seen both? What is the difference? And does anyone know, does the Cat. 5 inside cabin have bunk beds or a double bed?

Also, if we decide to book the Royal Clipper, how are the Category 5 cabins in the bow?

• 3 weeks later...

I've been on the Star Flyer twice in Category 5 aft, once on the Commodore Deck and once on the Clipper Deck. It has the raised bed, which I like because of the extra storage. I have not seen the inside Cat 5s, so I cannot help with that.

I don't remember our bed having any storage under it. It had a very small drawer on the one side. Our bed was tucked into the corner so you had to cliimb up and over the other person to get to the far side of the bed. But I loved it. Maybe I should have looked more thoroughly to see if there was space hidden somewhere under the bed.

I don't remember our bed having any storage under it. It had a very small drawer on the one side. Our bed was tucked into the corner so you had to cliimb up and over the other person to get to the far side of the bed. But I loved it. Maybe I should have looked more thoroughly to see if there was space hidden somewhere under the bed.

You won't be able to miss the under-bed storage in the aft cabins. The bed is high and there is a small door underneath it. I will try to see if I can get a picture to upload when I get home. :)

Would love to see a picture. I'm wondering if the Cat 5 in the fore section didn't have storage underneath. Unless somehow we just missed seeing the door. We had enough room although it was tight getting our suitcases stashed in the closet. But for the price, I'd do it again.

• 7 months later...

We recently returned from a Star Clipper cruise and had a category 2 cabin. After a few days of meeting some fabulous people, and after a few drinks in the bar, I suggested a "Cabin Crawl" where we all went around and looked at each others cabins. It was so much fun!! One person opened their door and we all gushed, "Stripper Pole!!" as there was a pole in the middle of their cabin. We saw all categories and here are my thoughts.....they are all pretty much the same. In some the beds are raised and some are at floor level. Some bathrooms are a bit bigger, smaller sink vanities or shower/toilet combo. The bow and the stern sway and bounce more compared to the middle and the generator noise, engine noise, anchor noise and such were the big discussion of cabin positioning. The lower deck had endless trouble with toilets backing up and sometimes overflowing, while ours, on the middle deck, was never a problem. So, that alone is the reason I will probably spring for Clipper Deck again. The door to the owners Cabin was open, and unoccupied, so we peeked inside. It's beautiful with a giant spa tub (why would you slosh around in a tub???) but most certainly not worth the big bucks. You spend very little time in your cabin. Ours was close to the stairs, dining room and didn't smell like sewage:eek:. Book your trip early and get a great discount and apply it towards a slightly nicer cabin. That's my tip of the day.

I had a cat 5 cabin on Star Clipper, the one I had was 301 and although in the plan it was on Clipper Deck it actually was half a deck higher on its own then neighbouring cabins further forward were crew only. A good sized double bed about four feet up. This was an eighteen day cruise and the accomodation was excellent in my opinion. If you go for a cabin aft of the dining room you get a lot more heat coming through from thecaterpillar diesel engine area. Much quieter nearer the bow apart from sea whooshing about in a tank below. Most TAs will be able to tell you about double locations for cat 5. If you are in UK 01913875993 or 08443717065 are who I have rebooked with this next year know a lot about Star Clippers.

Regards John

• 2 weeks later...

That's the cabin we had and would definitely book it again if we're on the Star Clipper/Flyer. Felt like we had our own little private area. We had smooth seas so had no problems with motion. Was just curious about the aft Cat 5 cabins but sounds like the bow is better.

We sailed the popular westbound Barbados through Panama Canal route (2 weeks) in January 2012 on the Star Clipper. We usually get cat 2 or 3, but there were only a few rooms left, so we ended up with an inside cat 5 (forward) #404. Pretty much a regular cabin, maybe slightly smaller. The bed was normal height and the storage was fine. It was a REAL quiet room (no engine noises like in the aft), and real dark at night. I did not mind it, but my husband called it the "rabbit hole". It was close to the forward stairs, which were not used much. Most people used the hallways and stairs aft of this room, so there was not a lot of "people noise" either. Easy to pop up and check things out. Did not have any movement problems. I would not mind staying there again---most of our time is on deck. :cool:

Archived