NCL Spirit - specialty restaurants -1st time NCL Cruiser

Hello All;

My wife and I will be cruising with NCL for the first time this June. We will be cruising on the NCL Spirit with our 15 year old son and his 15 year old friend. I am asking for some advice on the specialty restaurants available on board this ship. Two questions. Your help and advice, please. :confused:

1.) The boys have cruised together in the past on both Carnival and Royal Caribbean. All though the boys enjoy typical teen foods they have expressed interest in trying one of the specialty restaurants. In addition both boys are involved in high school athletics and prefer healthier foods when available. We are undecided on which of the specialty restaurants on the NCL Spirit might the four of us enjoy the most? All opinions are welcome!

2.) My wife and I would like to dine together minus the young men in a different specialty restaurant on another night. More of a "date" type atmosphere. We have discussed this with our son. He thinks it would be totally "cool" for him and his buddy to skip a dinner with the "old people" to be own their own for one dinner. We are undecided on which of the specialty restaurants on the NCL Spirit we might enjoy as a date type venue for just the two of us? All opinions are welcome!

We all enjoy, Asian, Mexican and Steak House restaurants in our home town and we have no food allergies. :)

Respectfully,

LC Crusader Dad

I'll be sailing on the Spirit for the first time this July, but I've eaten at the Asian restaurant on the Dawn (twice) and Pearl (once) and loved it. We plan to eat at the Asian restaurant on the Spirit. So I'd suggest your family give it a try. Give the bbq ribs a try (appetizer); when they're cooked just right, they're amazing!!!

For the romantic night out, I'd suggest dining in LeBistro. I haven't been able to talk my sailing companions into giving it a try on previous cruises, but I am definitely going to dine there this July...or die trying :eek::p:D.

The NCL personnel has been fabulous during all of our dining experiences on their ships, and you're family is sure to have a terrific time, enjoy!

have the boys check out the buffet, it has action stations..made-to-order things like salads, pasta, etc. nice carving station.

also, blue lagoon..24 hour diner, limited menu but you will find other kids eating there on their own.

can't help you with the speciality dining, we don't use them..too many offerings in the MDR, blue lagoon and buffet. guess we need to go on longer cruises, 7 days isn't enough.

Hello All;

My wife and I will be cruising with NCL for the first time this June. We will be cruising on the NCL Spirit with our 15 year old son and his 15 year old friend. I am asking for some advice on the specialty restaurants available on board this ship. Two questions. Your help and advice, please. :confused:

1.) The boys have cruised together in the past on both Carnival and Royal Caribbean. All though the boys enjoy typical teen foods they have expressed interest in trying one of the specialty restaurants. In addition both boys are involved in high school athletics and prefer healthier foods when available. We are undecided on which of the specialty restaurants on the NCL Spirit might the four of us enjoy the most? All opinions are welcome!

2.) My wife and I would like to dine together minus the young men in a different specialty restaurant on another night. More of a "date" type atmosphere. We have discussed this with our son. He thinks it would be totally "cool" for him and his buddy to skip a dinner with the "old people" to be own their own for one dinner. We are undecided on which of the specialty restaurants on the NCL Spirit we might enjoy as a date type venue for just the two of us? All opinions are welcome!

We all enjoy, Asian, Mexican and Steak House restaurants in our home town and we have no food allergies. :)

Respectfully,

LC Crusader Dad

My advise and I know others will feel differently: romance, date night, you will want to eat in Le Bistro for sure. As for the young men, yes, they can have a wonderful time in almost any of the specialty dining rooms. As for truely healthy, well that might be something else. If you like Asian, I highly recommend Shoguns, we sould said the Spirit without eating there once. Of course Cagney's is a great steak house if that is what you want.

Nita

OP:

I would agree with everyone else on the "date night" recommendation of Le Bistro. On the Spirit it's a truly memorable and more intimate setting than some of the other NCL ships. I think that is because LeBistro was added after the fact when she came over from SuperStar cruises. Either way, it's a quaint little place on the Spirit and I'd highly recommend it for the two of you.

As for having athletic boys and enjoying a meal for four at the specialty restaurants and trying to eat healthy. That's more of a difficult choice, as they are athletic I'm sure protein is more up their alley as well as vegetables so I'd probably go with Cagney's Steakhouse. On the Spirit it's a nice initimate dining room and if you can sit in one of the specialty booths out back you'll actually have a nice view of the Promenade Deck and the ocean if the ship is at sea. Not sure if they still do the dining al fresco onboard but the ship would have to be in port for that (it was avaialble on Bermuda cruises because she overnights there) but if they do then definitely take the Cagney's Steakhouse! :)

Whatever you chose, bon voyage and make sure you leave her in one piece for me the following month. Thanks! :D

The choices:

-Le Bistro (French, $20 pp)

-Shogun (Asian, $15 pp)

-Teppanyaki (teppanyaki, $25 pp)

-Cagney's (steakhouse, $25 pp)

-La Trattoria (Italian, $10 pp)

-Sushi (sushi, $15 pp)

Thank you all for your recommendations. It sounds like French restaurant for my wife and I. I'll let the boy’s decide on either the Chinese or Steak restaurant for the four of us. Has any one tried the Teppanyaki?

-Larry

OP all the menus for each specialty restaurant will be in the reservations section of the ship (on the SUN it was across from the Purser's Desk). You can then look at each of them and decide what entrees will appeal. Those menus do not change on a daily basis so your choices will always be there.

I hope you have a wonderful time, enjoy the date night and the time with your son. :)

OP.. Im in agreement with all the others for LeBistro for the romantic dinner. I know it is one of the most expensive restaurants, but I would recommend Teppanyaki for the dinner with the boys. I bet they would enjoy that the most, and it is a healthy alternative.

Archived