Margarita Mix in a Bucket

I recently purchased some margarita mix at a grocery store to bring on the ship to go with the bottle of tequila that I plan on ordering to our stateroom. Problems is, I thought it was going to a powder mix and inside the bucket is a big bag of liquid mix. Has anyone ever brought this on board and how does it count towards my non-alcohloic beverages. I also wanted to bring some pineapple juice (6 little 6 oz cans) for making pina coladas for the rum we are also ordering. I know you are permitted to bring a "small amount" of non-alcoholic beverages. Other that 12 cans of 12oz soda what is considered a small amount?

Will I be safe with my pinaeapple juice and margartia mix?

That's a good question, so I'll be curious to see what people say.

I must admit.....that is way too much trouble for me. I pack as lightly as possible and sure don't like dragging drinks with us since they have to be in the carry-on.

We just order from BV and get a soda card. Much easier for us:)

Have a great cruise!

Can you still order liquor for your stateroom? I thought they did away with that, and you could only order wine? Sorry, I have no idea if you can bring Margarita mix or not - it's not specified on the site. It might depend on whoever is checking.

Each person can bring 12 nonalchoholic drinks in their carry on.

I dont think the xray person is going to be standing there counting them, so just use your own good judgement.

As far as what do people think they can get away with .. is that the question?? I wouldnt go crazy if you want more than 12 drinks pp. If its small cans of pineapple juice, I cant see someone saying ok, you can only bring 6 cans of soda with that.. they wouldnt count.

Can you still order liquor for your stateroom? I thought they did away with that, and you could only order wine? Sorry, I have no idea if you can bring Margarita mix or not - it's not specified on the site. It might depend on whoever is checking.

Yep, you can order bottles from bon voyage.. it was down for a number of days once... very short time.

It does state 12 nonalchoholic drinks pp .. seems clear enough to me. states that right on their site in the FAQs.

i.e. yes you can bring whatever mixers you want that are nonalchoholic.

Yes, and it is much cheaper!! We did not do this on our first cruise (I didn't even know about CC back then, so I didn't know all the good stuff) but we have done it since then. Last year, we saved over $300 by ordering from BV and getting the soda sticker.

OP...I own liquor stores and we sell a couple brands of Margarita buckets. Dailys brand is the powdered one. But the bucket is huge. Any of those buckets need to be refrigerated once opened. Unless drinking the whole bucket in one day I wouldn't risk it. Especially when I'm on vacation. That bucket WILL NOT fit in the tiny area in those refrigerators.

I just can't imagine dragging all that stuff on board.

Yep, you can order bottles from bon voyage.. it was down for a number of days once... very short time.

It does state 12 nonalchoholic drinks pp .. seems clear enough to me. states that right on their site in the FAQs.

Yes, it states that, but I thought what the OP was referring to was one of those Margarita mix buckets. It's not "a drink", and it is certainly not of a normal sized container.

I'm glad you can order liquor from BV again. Will make my trip much more enjoyable. Thanks.

I recently purchased some margarita mix at a grocery store to bring on the ship to go with the bottle of tequila that I plan on ordering to our stateroom. Problems is, I thought it was going to a powder mix and inside the bucket is a big bag of liquid mix. Has anyone ever brought this on board and how does it count towards my non-alcohloic beverages.

Yes, it states that, but I thought what the OP was referring to was one of those Margarita mix buckets. It's not "a drink", and it is certainly not of a normal sized container.

I'm glad you can order liquor from BV again. Will make my trip much more enjoyable. Thanks.

I would consider any liquid that you plan on drinking a nonalchoholic drink.

Thats what I was going by.

If it was powder, then I wouldnt have mentioned the 12 nonalchoholic drink carry on rule. .. just how I read the post. its liquid so it count.

I am diabetic and this is what I use and take on trips, I like the single mix packets:

http://www.bajabob.com/

The last couple of cruises I have bought rum and tequila from the BV dept. It is a little pricey but worth it as far as I am concerned. I bring a couple of empty "Rum Rummers", fill them in the cabin and take on deck with me. No one has ever batted an eye or even seemed to notice or care.

I get the 12 nonalcoholic drinks thing. My question is, how much towards that is going to be considered for this bag of mixer? If I bring this, how many cans of soda will I now be able to bring. Probably not 12. Obviously it is more than 1 12oz can of soda. I knew someone would answer it this way.

I get the 12 nonalcoholic drinks thing. My question is, how much towards that is going to be considered for this bag of mixer? If I bring this, how many cans of soda will I now be able to bring. Probably not 12. Obviously it is more than 1 12oz can of soda. I knew someone would answer it this way.

size is not mentioned... so if its in one container, I count it as one.

It says a package of 12 nonalchoholic drinks .. nothing is mentioned about 12 oz cans. You can bring whatever size sodas you want.

I brought a 2 liter of coke last time, I count that one right?? I dont think I could manage 12 two liter cokes by myself .. but size is not mentioned of the container.

Let me repeat ... they are not standing there counting how many you bring on. I know many have brought on a case of 24 waters, and a 12 pack of soda and it was fine.

OP...I own liquor stores and we sell a couple brands of Margarita buckets. Dailys brand is the powdered one. But the bucket is huge. Any of those buckets need to be refrigerated once opened. Unless drinking the whole bucket in one day I wouldn't risk it. Especially when I'm on vacation. That bucket WILL NOT fit in the tiny area in those refrigerators.

I just can't imagine dragging all that stuff on board.

Oh good you own a liquor store. Can the Daileys brand be made individually but using a certain amount of mix per serving rather than mixing the entire bucket at once?

Oh good you own a liquor store. Can the Daileys brand be made individually but using a certain amount of mix per serving rather than mixing the entire bucket at once?

I'm not the liquor store owner, but we took the TGIFriday's bucket mix (powder) with us a year or so ago and mixed about half of it at a time. We bought a pitcher from the dollar store and divided up how much water and tequilla you'd put in the bucket by what the pitcher held and mixed it that way. So I'd think you could do the same w/ Dailey's to make in smaller batches, just takes a little math. Oh, and bring a ziploc bag or something to store the partially used bag (we actually measured out the mix into ziplocs at home before we left so we knew exactly what went in one pitcher).

(one person mentioned rum runners on deck)

Where do you margarita drinkers drink?

I lugged a 36 pack of soda onboard (I used a cart & noone batted an eye - 36 pack purchased as Costco, brought the whole unopened package)

& Only drank a few - I did not feel "right" about bringing the can into the MDR - I drank one or two with lunch on the LIDO - later in the cruise when I realized that I would have to schlep them home otherwise. (I still took several home - not sure how many...)

My husband & I had one or 2 rum & cokes in our room (Bought a shot of rum from the bar). But the rest of my beverages were in the comedy club or at the bar - in a social setting...

Just curious...

I am diabetic and this is what I use and take on trips, I like the single mix packets:

The last couple of cruises I have bought rum and tequila from the BV dept. It is a little pricey but worth it as far as I am concerned. I bring a couple of empty "Rum Rummers", fill them in the cabin and take on deck with me. No one has ever batted an eye or even seemed to notice or care.

Awesome! I am going to order some of those single mix packets as I would like to save my calorie intake for chocolate melting cake and still have a tasty drink too. :p

I love the Baja Bobs product. Once I learned about them I ordered several t try at home to make sure I liked them before being "stuck" on the ship with them.

The single serve packets make up 4 oz at a time. I prefer the taste after they have sat mixed for a while so I add several of them to a bottle of water and keep it chilled and ready to mix with my tequila whenever I'm ready for a margarita.

Last year on the Triumph, I took a 46 oz. bottle of margarita (liquid) mix in my carry on. I had a combination of 24 oz. soft drinks, water, orange juice, etc. Along with our two bottles of wine, I had 24 containers of non-alcoholic drinks (for me & DH), but they were all various sizes. I was asked to step to the security table after my carry on was scanned, but I just pointed out the mixer was non-alcoholic and did not have a problem.

Also, I took a 24 oz. diet coke to the MDR and I was immediately given a glass of ice. So, I assumed that it was common and will be doing the same on my next cruise.

• 2 weeks later...

Went to the grocery store and they had Crystal Light margarita, mojito, and appletini mixes. Bought one of each and will try them before the cruise to see if that's what we want to take with us. Might want to look for those as another option.

According to posts from Carnival employees on the Carnival Forum, non-alcoholic beverages are limited to 20oz each, and 12 per person. Getting a larger bottle of mixer on board in carry on probably depends on the mood of the security guards that day. :)

I suppose you could figure out how much it takes for one drink at a atime. But they are designed to be made by the bucket-full. I think it says to add either a fifth or liter of alcohol plus the water to mix with the powder.

Archived