First time cruising solo - any pointers?

spyro1952

Being desperate to get away, relax, and get some alone time I booked a cruise on the Caribbean Princess, balcony room. If anyone has cruised solo, I'm open for suggestion. I'm not sure how to handle dinner in the MDR (reserved for 5:30 pm) or if I even want to bring formal clothes as getting dressed up is probably the least relaxing thing for me about cruising. I do like some of the menus in the MDR though.

I travel as a solo quite frequently. I enjoy going to the MDR for anytime dining and meeting new people each night. I ask for a smaller table, like a 6 or 8. If I am in a hurry I eat at the buffet. I have even dined solo in the MDR when I wanted to get out quickly to catch a show. You will find cruising is the one vacation you can travel alone very easily.

Dear Spyro1952,

Welcome to the world of solo cruising. If you are looking for dining companions, you could do Anytime dining and ask for a large table as Sibreeze has suggested, or you could meet people on the Roll Call for your sailing and see if anyone is interested in organizing a group dinner at either Sabatini's or the Crown Grill. Someone can make the reservation for the chosen night when you get onboard. If you don't want to get dressed for dinner another option would be to get your dinner from the Horizon Court and enjoy it on your balcony. I often will do this at lunchtime. Of course there is always room service. However you choose to dine, I hope it will be a pleasant experience! Good Luck!:)

I say take the formal clothes. You may decide you don't want to be left out and/or meet folks you would like to dine with. I also say go with anytime dining. Then you can ask to join other folks or just a table alone, depending upon your mood. What a great way to relax! Enjoy.

I also am a Solo Cruiser.

As was suggested, I join the Roll Call for the Cruise.

That way I get to know folks on my Cruise.

Also, get involved on Private Tours rather than the Ship's Tours.

I usually book Traditional, 6:00, seating.

My biggest fear is being seated with a family.

Has happened on occaision.

Do not have a clue who "Aunt Jane/Uncle Jim" are.

If it happens, I go to AnyTime Dining.

Enjoy your Cruise.

Thanks for all your suggestions. I'm already on the roll call and will ask if there are any solo cruisers on the roll call. I think I will stick with my traditional 5:30 pm dinner and see what my table mates are like. Since it's a summer cruise (7/28) out of NY, I do fear I'll get put at a kids table.

I think this cruise will make for an interesting review or "live from" thread.

Thanks for all your suggestions. I'm already on the roll call and will ask if there are any solo cruisers on the roll call. I think I will stick with my traditional 5:30 pm dinner and see what my table mates are like. Since it's a summer cruise (7/28) out of NY, I do fear I'll get put at a kids table.

I travel solo quite a lot. I find with the cruises and traditional dining they do a fairly good job of matching solo travellers up with similar age groups. One suggestion - when you embark, get in the line to see the Maitre D - they are pretty good about taking a look at the table to give you a feel for your tablemates. It puts you on their radar and I find them pretty understanding (a couple of time they've been proactive upon seeing a potential mismatch (has happened once to me) moved me to another table).

Cheers,

CG

I hope you do a live from along with a review. I have cruised solo and I now cruise with a woman I met thru a thread and a meet and greet. She lives in Florida and I live in California.

We have become "cruising buddies" thanks to Cruse Critic. I would not hesitate to cruise solo again if I could not find someone to cruise with though.

Have a great cruise.

WCC

Hi,

Enjoy your solo time. Agree. Read the daily schedules each evening

and plan your activities ahead.

Actually my 2 solos, so far, were focused on Mayan Ruin destinations.

Studied a lot before sail away. Even downloaded the MDR menus from

CC forum. The downloaded 'dailies' showed entertainment schedules

so I pretty much had the weeks 'timeline and menu chart'.

Dunno 'bout you....but I planned my schedules around as much

shipboard entertainment as possible. BTW, early dining worked

better for this, whether eating in MDR, Steakhouse or Buffet.

I was leery about MDR solo but M"De hooked me up with similar demographics.

Met some nice folks and it's funny how we'd

meet again around the ship, in town or climbing up a pyramid in

the jungle somewhere.

I hope you enjoy your cruise as much as I did mine.

Sorry for the ramble. Key thing for me was ....I planned far ahead

and set up my daily schedules (in pencil, of course) before sailing.

Knew where I wanted to be and when and everything went smooth.

Now if you just want to relax more....your balcony with room service

should be a great start!

:cool::cool:

I have kind of gotten used to the aspect of cruising solo, though I usually go as a "third wheel" with friends in the next cabin.

Best thing about cruising solo is that you garner 2 cruise points for every cruise you do. I can't believe how quickly I obtained "Platinum" status and now I only have to do 4-5 more to obtain "Elite."

Those traveling as couples have to do twice that.

I'm usually too shy to mingle in the dining rooms, but I always find a table in Caribe or Horizon buffet to enjoy lunch.

While I cruise with family and/or friends, I'm a single in a cabin and go my own way during the day. When I go to the buffet, I try to find a small table that's free but if there isn't one, I plop myself down wherever there's a seat. I tend to be shy around strangers and have a difficult time striking up a conversation but somehow, on a cruise ship, I find that easy. I either take tours arranged by others on my roll call or ship's tours. That way, I meet people in surroundings where the conversation isn't, "Where are you from? What do you do? How many cruises have you taken?" I have cruised completely solo and chose late traditional dining, and enjoyed it thoroughly. The Maitre d' tries to put solos together at a table so your chances of being stuck with a family with three small children is slight. If you're uncomfortable, talk to the Maitre d' and ask to be changed. It's not a big deal and the option is yours.

I prefer traditional instead of Anytime dining as a solo because you're not constantly having the same starter conversation every night. With traditional, you get to know your fellow diners. It's worked out well for me... so far.

Pam,

Hope I end up on the same ship with you someday, just so I can say "hello."

You seem very sweet, and you have been a huge help to everyone on this board. I think that's worth some personal thanks.

As another solo traveler, I differ from most of the folks here - and that's just my attitude & preference. I always ask for a table for 1, by myself. I don't want to sit at a large table with a bunch of strangers & forced into idle chit-chat. :rolleyes: Dinner time for me is "my time". I sit quietly at a small table & go over what I learned/discovered that day and/or where I was going tomorrow. I always take my iPad with me to dinner & sit there reading during dinner.

As another solo traveler, I differ from most of the folks here - and that's just my attitude & preference. I always ask for a table for 1, by myself. I don't want to sit at a large table with a bunch of strangers & forced into idle chit-chat. :rolleyes: Dinner time for me is "my time". I sit quietly at a small table & go over what I learned/discovered that day and/or where I was going tomorrow. I always take my iPad with me to dinner & sit there reading during dinner.
Good for you! Not everyone is as comfortable with your own company as you seem to be. :) I often take myself out to lunch, my Kindle in my purse and do exactly that. It's unusual for dinner on a cruise but I applaud you.

Good for you! Not everyone is as comfortable with your own company as you seem to be. :) I often take myself out to lunch, my Kindle in my purse and do exactly that. It's unusual for dinner on a cruise but I applaud you.

Well, weekend breakfasts are spent with my dog at one of the local restaurants, then any lunches or dinners are spent eating/reading alone. As a 66 year old single man, I don't have any problem eating alone.

Archived