Philly to Baltimore -Drive or take Amtrak ?

micdee

We are sailing the Pride this September and have a hotel booked in the inner harbor. We were all set to drive and park at the port but are now considering taking the train. Having never taken Amtrak, where does our luggage go? We would each be taking 1 large rolling suitcase and carry on. Also, what is the taxi fare from the train station to inner harbor, and port to train station. Would you recommend taking the train or should we just drive?

Hard to say which is better. The train is likely to be more expensive, especially if you are a family. But of course, if you drive, you have to pay to park at the port, and pay to park at your hotel, in addition to gas and tolls. It's easier to shove your luggage into the trunk of your car, rather than get it on and off the train, in and out of taxis, etc. But the train ride is fast, smooth, and relaxing, and it's a nice way to start and end a trip, without the sometimes-stressful drive along Interstate 95. I guess this is to say, either way is feasible, so it comes down to which one you would prefer.

Given that you've never done an Amtrak ride, I think the novelty alone would make it worth a try. You might want to consider doing a day trip to Baltimore on the train sometime this summer, just so you can see how it goes without having to deal with luggage. You could even take a taxi to your hotel, just so you can see where it is and scope out the area.

Amtrak has checked baggage service available both at Philadelphia 30th Street Station and at Baltimore Penn Station. Or, you could bring your luggage aboard with you and put it in the overhead. (Amtrak's overhead space is larger than that of the airlines.) A taxi from Penn Station to the Inner Harbor would be less than $10, and the fare from the Inner Harbor to the port should be about that same amount.

Agree completely with bus man. I-95 can be a bear, so sitting back enjoying the ride may be just what you're looking for. We've driven and used Amtrak to Philadelphia many times. A taxi from Penn Station to your hotel will get you there in a few minutes.

FYI...Amex reward points may be redeemed for Amtrak fares and AAA provides a discount. Good luck. ;)

Amtrak would be a great option. The fares can vary depending on the type of train you board, the Acela Express trains are more expensive than the Northeast Regional trains. Acela Express is all business class but with fewer stops than the regional train. The Northeast Regional should be fine, you can carry your bags on and there is ample overhead space for even a large roller bag. Baltimore Penn Station is a short taxi ride to the Inner Harbor about $10-$12. The cruise port is about 15 minutes or less away depending on traffic and about $15-$20 by taxi. Good luck and enjoy your trip.

Thanks everyone for the replies. Train fare for the both of us is running $128 round trip on the Northeast Regional line. If you figure in parking at the port (115), hotel (32) and gas (?), seems as if taking the train may be cheaper. Only worry is schlepping the luggage, wanted to stock up on some Bailey's and Absolute from the ship's store since we don't have to fly. Hmmm decisions, decisions:).

Thanks everyone for the replies. Train fare for the both of us is running $128 round trip on the Northeast Regional line. If you figure in parking at the port (115), hotel (32) and gas (?), seems as if taking the train may be cheaper. Only worry is schlepping the luggage, wanted to stock up on some Bailey's and Absolute from the ship's store since we don't have to fly. Hmmm decisions, decisions:).

I have cruised out of Baltimore and debated your question twice. Both times I drove and parked at the port. Schlepping your luggage ia a major consideration (you figure out how many times you will have to move it). And the best thing about driving is I95 is in front of the port. On your return to Baltimore, the north-bound ramp to I95 north is right there at the port. You could be 15-20 miles up I95 by the time you get a taxi and get to the train station.

I love taking Amtrak, but some of the answers above need clarification. There is NO checked luggage service on any of the trains when traveling between cities on the Northeast (DC- Boston). Checked baggage is offered on long distance trains to Florida, Chicago, New Orleans, etc. The is plenty of storage space on the train car for your bags

There are porters (called Red Caps) available at 30th st station and Baltimore Penn station that will handle your luggage to and from the platforms.

Aloha,

John

I love taking Amtrak, but some of the answers above need clarification. There is NO checked luggage service on any of the trains when traveling between cities on the Northeast (DC- Boston). Checked baggage is offered on long distance trains to Florida, Chicago, New Orleans, etc. The is plenty of storage space on the train car for your bags

There are porters (called Red Caps) available at 30th st station and Baltimore Penn station that will handle your luggage to and from the platforms.

Aloha,

John

You are quite correct about the luggage service. I have never had a problem with carrying on my luggage on the Northeast Regional trains. If for some reason your bag is really large there is usually some room at the end of the passenger car for very large bags to sit. Ususing the red caps is a good idea too to keep from schelpping your own bags, just tip the porter a couple of $$$'s per bag and you save the strain on your own back.

Don't forget to add in the cost of getting to and from 30th St. Station. We drive from South Jersey, the same day and so far so good on traffic going to Baltimore - little more that 1 1/2 hours to the luggage drop. Similarly easy to get home (except for the DE tool boondoogle). No need for an overnight in Balt.

Archived