Any binocular recommendations for Alaska

Expo67

Thank you Scapel for the very detailed insight into the binoculars. These are tests that I will try out once I make a purchase. Still a bit undecided as my wife is pushing for a larger objective lens to let in more light. Of course the disadvantage is the added weight. If I have any further questions I will drop back in and once again thanks for the helpful tips. ;)

weight is a big factor. As I said in another post the best binoculars are ones you'll want to use often. If they are too heavy to hold for longer periods then they are bad for you no matter how wonderful the optics are. This is why it is always best to go to a store and try them out in person to see what is the best mix for you.

After putting all your suggestions to work and going out to many stores I have it narrowed down. The ones I keep siding on are these. They are cheap but they seem to have decent optics, are light weight, and cheap in terms of some of them I have looked at. Any of you have any opinions on these by Pentax. We leave for Alaska in 5 weeks so its getting close to making a purchase. :rolleyes:

http://www.opticsplanet.net/pentax-ucf-8-16x21-zoom-2.html

Are they waterproof and fogproof? That has been the advice on CC threads. I found Zhumell compact binocs that are w-proof etc for a similar price. They fit my hands well and have decent optics. I need to try looking at stars with them.....

I see this topic reoccur from time to time. Usually read through to see what folks say. I havent seen anyone mention Celestron. I got a pair of nature series 8x42 waterproof for a great price. Cruise isnt til septembet and i havent used them much yet, but they seem pretty good for the price. :)

Any suggestions for Canada/Montreal stores to search for Binoculars in? I wear glasses and am looking for under $100 if I can. I'd like to hit the stores this weekend and cross one more Alaska item off my list! Thanks.

a waterproof binoculars is a must item for Alaska cruise. We took several pairs with us including Bushnell Elite, zen-ray summit. For our kids, we bought them some VISTA binoculars for around $129, which turned out to be perfect for them

Why do they have to be waterproof?

Why do they have to be waterproof?

I think it's just a matter of rain, and humid sea environment. Yeah, you can wipe off the exterior....but if the internal optics get foggy, you will be stuck with a useless set of binoculars until they dry out.

Any suggestions for Canada/Montreal stores to search for Binoculars in? I wear glasses and am looking for under $100 if I can. I'd like to hit the stores this weekend and cross one more Alaska item off my list! Thanks.

Henry's (photography shop)

Sears has a few

Walmart

Canadian Tire.

My husband wears glasses. Tomorrow we're getting the Bushnell Trophy XLT 10 x 28 waterproof/fogproof, $75. on sale from $100 at Sears. The eye pieces twist up so no bother with having to bend back rubber eyecups.

The Bushnell H2Os are only $55 at Walmart, regular price.

Henry's (photography shop)

My husband wears glasses. Tomorrow we're getting the Bushnell Trophy XLT 10 x 28 waterproof/fogproof, $75. on sale from $100 at Sears. The eye pieces twist up so no bother with having to bend back rubber eyecups.

I think he'll like them! I got the Trophy XLT 8X32, but I looked at both of them. They're meant for hunting, so are built very rugged. Yours are smaller, and very compact. (I can't recall now why I picked the 8X32, exactly...but I liked them both). :)

I think it's just a matter of rain, and humid sea environment. Yeah, you can wipe off the exterior....but if the internal optics get foggy, you will be stuck with a useless set of binoculars until they dry out.

I know when the video camera goes from the cold AC of the inside of the ship to the hot humid of the Carribbean fogging happens. I have put the camera in a zip loc and let it warm up outside before trying to use it.

Now with binoculars, I had not had that problem. Just wipe off the outside lens and when they warm up they quit fogging.

Does it have to be waterproof to prevent the inside of the lens from fogging. One would have to wait until the air inside the binoculars got hot enough to absorb the moisture off the inside of the lens and the lens got hot enough to not precipitate the moisture out of the hot air. Yes if the hot moist air outside got on the inside of the binocular compartment and hit that cold lens, it would definetely fog it up.

Like I said I have never notice the problem. Maybe I have water proof binouculars and don't know it.

Condensation can be a problem on any glass.

I was thinking I wouldn't be using binoculars in the rain, but I can see where humidity could be a problem.

I use the IS Canon 10x30 in Antarctica. I did not put them in my waterproof bag like I did my cameras while riding the Zodiac. Of course Antarctica is very dry. We got hit with one wave that kind of soaked us but cameras were protected in the bag. Somehow it didn't hurt the binoculars.

Does it have to be waterproof to prevent the inside of the lens from fogging?

I found this online:

Waterproofing -Waterproof binoculars and spotting scopes are sealed internally using O-rings to prevent moisture as well as dust and other small debris from entering the inside of the unit.

Fogproofing -Fogproofing means that the optical barrels are filled with nitrogen or argon gas to prevent internal fogging caused when subjecting the optic to temperature extremes, especially in high humidity. Fogproofing is sometimes referred to as nitrogen-purging. This term is probably more descriptive of the actual process; O2 (oxygen) is purged from the barrel(s) and replaced with an inert gas (usually nitrogen) which doesn’t condense.

A pair of binoculars or can be waterproof without being fogproof. This merely means that the instrument is sealed, but the oxygen inside the barrels haven’t been purged and replaced with an inert gas. But if an optical instrument is fogproof, it has to be waterproof (sealed) as well.

Today even fairly inexpensive binoculars and scopes are both waterproof and fogproof. Just look out for manufacturers that claim that their optics are “weather protected” or “water protected” this usually means that they are not 100% water or fog proof, but they should survive a little moisture. If you think that you will need to use your binoculars in a wet environment, make sure that they are 100% waterproof.

I found this online:

Waterproofing -Waterproof binoculars and spotting scopes are sealed internally using O-rings to prevent moisture as well as dust and other small debris from entering the inside of the unit.

Fogproofing -Fogproofing means that the optical barrels are filled with nitrogen or argon gas to prevent internal fogging caused when subjecting the optic to temperature extremes, especially in high humidity. Fogproofing is sometimes referred to as nitrogen-purging. This term is probably more descriptive of the actual process; O2 (oxygen) is purged from the barrel(s) and replaced with an inert gas (usually nitrogen) which doesn’t condense.

A pair of binoculars or can be waterproof without being fogproof. This merely means that the instrument is sealed, but the oxygen inside the barrels haven’t been purged and replaced with an inert gas. But if an optical instrument is fogproof, it has to be waterproof (sealed) as well.

Today even fairly inexpensive binoculars and scopes are both waterproof and fogproof. Just look out for manufacturers that claim that their optics are “weather protected” or “water protected” this usually means that they are not 100% water or fog proof, but they should survive a little moisture. If you think that you will need to use your binoculars in a wet environment, make sure that they are 100% waterproof.

Very good information.--thanks for finding that.

I was very Happy with these during our cruisetour.

Kruger Kalahari 8x30

Waterproof, fogproof, fully coated, BaK4 prisms, nitrogen processed (whatever that means), eyeglass friendly, includes carrying case.

http://www.google.com/products/catalog?q=Kruger+Kalahari+8x30&um=1&hl=en&bav=on.2,or.r_gc.r_pw.&biw=1280&bih=675&ie=UTF-8&tbm=shop&cid=13961348603650125578&sa=X&ei=gDYmTrvSDYX2swPhsbDoCA&ved=0CFYQ8wIwAA

The BaK4 prisms are the highest quality and makes a huge difference, so look for that regardless of which brand you choose.

Reputation of Kruger.

Costs less than $80 (we got three when on sale at Amazon for even less).

Just wondering of people who took binoculars that were not waterproof or fogproof, how many had any issues with them? I have a pair of Bushnell's but they are not waterproof or fogproof. Just trying to decide if I want to upgrade or not.

Just wondering of people who took binoculars that were not waterproof or fogproof, how many had any issues with them? I have a pair of Bushnell's but they are not waterproof or fogproof. Just trying to decide if I want to upgrade or not.

We took our Bushnell's and they were fine. Just don't get caught in a rain storm!;)

During our first cruise, we took some cheap tasco binoculars. We didn't know how water or moisture found its way inside. Everytime, we used it, the lens got fogged up very easily. With the recommendation of some cruisers in our roll calls, we got Zen-ray Summit and VISTA binoculars. They are so much easier to use. DH even used it when it was downpouring outside.

• 3 months later...

We used to have some non-waterproofing binoculars. They were fine in the place where we live. But for Alaska cruise, the waterproofing and fogproofing is a must-have feature.

Any suggestions for kids binoculars - maybe under $40?

Avoid the whistles and bells (zoom, camera, etc). Stick with something that is 8X maximum and beyond that if you have a choice get something small enough that they can be comfortable holding it up for more than a few seconds. But the bottom line is toys are toys.

I'm really surprised nobody has mentioned field of view in this discussion! The field of view is the area seen through your binoculars. It is properly measured in degrees. The larger the field of view the more area you can see. A wide field of view makes it easier for someone not experienced in using binoculars to find specific objects more easily. It also helps keep those objects within the binocular view.

Also, don't wait until you get on the ship to begin using binoculars if you don't have much experience with them. Play with them by practicing at home. Find an object in the distance. Then, without moving your head, bring the binoculars up to your eyes and see if you've managed to get that object in your view. Do this until you've developed some skill in this area. There's nothing more frustrating than seeing something with your eyes and not being able to find it with your binoculars.

Another thing nobody mentioned is adjusting the binoculars to your eyes. (Yes, they need to be adjusted.) A very good website with information on this (and lots of other things about binocs) is here: http://www.chuckhawks.com/binocular_basics.htm Scroll down to the section titled "How to focus binoculars".

Finally, a suggestion on another website for your binoculars purchase: http://www.eagleoptics.com/ Good selection of binoculars, good information, and reviews from people who (mostly) know what they're talking about.

Good luck and happy viewing!!!!

• 1 month later...
I'm really surprised nobody has mentioned field of view in this discussion! The field of view is the area seen through your binoculars. It is properly measured in degrees. The larger the field of view the more area you can see. A wide field of view makes it easier for someone not experienced in using binoculars to find specific objects more easily. It also helps keep those objects within the binocular view.

Also, don't wait until you get on the ship to begin using binoculars if you don't have much experience with them. Play with them by practicing at home. Find an object in the distance. Then, without moving your head, bring the binoculars up to your eyes and see if you've managed to get that object in your view. Do this until you've developed some skill in this area. There's nothing more frustrating than seeing something with your eyes and not being able to find it with your binoculars.

Another thing nobody mentioned is adjusting the binoculars to your eyes. (Yes, they need to be adjusted.) A very good website with information on this (and lots of other things about binocs) is here: http://www.chuckhawks.com/binocular_basics.htm Scroll down to the section titled "How to focus binoculars".

Finally, a suggestion on another website for your binoculars purchase: http://www.eagleoptics.com/ Good selection of binoculars, good information, and reviews from people who (mostly) know what they're talking about.

Good luck and happy viewing!!!!

good advice. I was told that 8x gives wider field of view, which I found is very true. I enjoyed my 8x42 ZRS more than the 20x32 binoculars I previously own.

http://www.zen-ray.com/shop/binoculars/zrshd/zrshd8x42.html

good advice. I was told that 8x gives wider field of view, which I found is very true. I enjoyed my 8x42 ZRS more than the 20x32 binoculars I previously own.

Field of view is an important factor in my choice.

I have 10x50s with 525 ft field of view at 1000 yds, a bit wider than your ZRS. They were great sweeping the Inside Passage waters for whales off in the distance, the wide field provided a good chance of picking up spouts and flukes. Once I located a whale I could bring up the video camera and apply a lot of zoom and usually get some good recording. I spotted a pod of killer whales this way, I doubt if I would have had the opportunity to record them without the binos, they were pretty far off in heavy chop.

I do think 8x42 is a nice size both physically and optically. I have 8x42 birding binos, like them a lot. And I'd recommend them to anyone that was only going to own 1 pair.

You're right about those 20x32s, that's going to give a narrow field, and be hard to hand hold too.

Only if you have $$ to invest - binoculars with a stabilizer feature make a huge difference in viewing wildlife. I read through the posts and didn't find this feature mentioned. We have serious binoculars that are rather large, but have become indispensable because of the stabilizer feature. Once you have focused on the bird or wildlife, you press the stabilizer button and voila - amazing viewing. I was hooked after seeing the tiny feathers on the beak of a great blue heron. The bird was so far away that there was no way to see the detail without the stabilizer. I've seen the golden fur of bears and whiskers on seals. You will see detail that will amaze you. Very much worth the $$ if you are an outdoor person.

This is a great thread! Thanks to everyone for posting the great advice, and for the links to sites with even more in depth info.

Based on all of this, I have made up my list of some things to look for in a pair of binoculars. Note sure this would work for everyone, but it might help.

Weight: Less than 1.5 pounds (24 ozs)

Magnification: 7X or 8X

Waterproof/fogproof

Field of View: 400 to 500

Angle of View: Greater than 7 deg.

Bak 4 (not Bak 7) prisms

Roof prism is lighter/more streamlined

Porro prisms are generally cheaper

Of course, budget is also a factor, so I am thinking of the Bushnell H2O 8X42. On Amazon they are offered in either roof or Porro prism (both around $75). On the Bushnell website you can compare both.

http://www.bushnell.com/products/binoculars/h2o/150842/

The roof prism system is lighter (by 2.2 ounces), whereas the porro has a wider field of view (365 v. 410 at 1,000 yards).

Thanks again to everyone who posted the great information.

Here's one more link for a pair of binoculars worth checking out. They are Nikon 8x36, waterproof and fogproof. I originally purchased a pair of Bushnell binoculars based on information from posters on CC. When they arrived, I found them to be a bit heavy and knew they would not be comfortable for me so I returned them. I went back and found these - they are smaller, less than 20oz but the clarity and ease of use is very good. They are the same as Nikon's 8x36 Monarch ATB binoculars - but about 1/2 the price.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/671400-REG/Nikon_8237_SHE_Adventure_8x36_ATB.html

Archived