Any binocular recommendations for Alaska

Expo67

Here's one more link for a pair of binoculars worth checking out. They are Nikon 8x36, waterproof and fogproof. I originally purchased a pair of Bushnell binoculars based on information from posters on CC. When they arrived, I found them to be a bit heavy and knew they would not be comfortable for me so I returned them. I went back and found these - they are smaller, less than 20oz but the clarity and ease of use is very good. They are the same as Nikon's 8x36 Monarch ATB binoculars - but about 1/2 the price.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/671400-REG/Nikon_8237_SHE_Adventure_8x36_ATB.html

The price on this website ($119) is much better than Amazon's price ($179). Thanks for posting!

I own Nikon Monarch 10x42s and they are amazing. For the money they compete favorably with binocs costing over $1000. And yes, I've looked through my Nikons and then immediatley looked through a pair of Swarovskis that cost $1500. nope, the Monarchs are NOT "just as good." but they are very very close. and a whole lot cheaper!

• 4 weeks later...
Avoid the whistles and bells (zoom, camera, etc). Stick with something that is 8X maximum and beyond that if you have a choice get something small enough that they can be comfortable holding it up for more than a few seconds. But the bottom line is toys are toys.

excellent suggestion. I always use 8x binoculars and couldn't stand higher power binoculars.

So, I think I have narrowed down our binocular choices.

We have never owned binoculars before and never wished we had them, so we are not looking to spend a lot of money since we are not sure how often we will use them after this trip. And we want them small and light so they are easy to pack and carry.

Under those criteria, it seemed Bushnell was our best bet. Which of these 3 options would you recommend and why? (All Roof prism)

1. Bushnell Trophy XLT 8x32 -- mid-size, 20oz

2. Bushnell Trophy XLT 8x42 -- standard size, 25 oz

3. Bushnell H20 8x42 -- standard size, 25 oz

I am tempted by the first choice over the other two because they are lighter and smaller, but is the 42 vs 32 going to make that much of a difference in Denali or for glacier viewing?

Thanks,

Brad

So, I think I have narrowed down our binocular choices.

We have never owned binoculars before and never wished we had them, so we are not looking to spend a lot of money since we are not sure how often we will use them after this trip. And we want them small and light so they are easy to pack and carry.

Under those criteria, it seemed Bushnell was our best bet. Which of these 3 options would you recommend and why? (All Roof prism)

1. Bushnell Trophy XLT 8x32 -- mid-size, 20oz

2. Bushnell Trophy XLT 8x42 -- standard size, 25 oz

3. Bushnell H20 8x42 -- standard size, 25 oz

I am tempted by the first choice over the other two because they are lighter and smaller, but is the 42 vs 32 going to make that much of a difference in Denali or for glacier viewing?

Thanks,

Brad

cannot speak for Bushnell roof binoculars. We got a pair of Zen-Ray VISTA 8x42 binoculars. It's better than the Nikon Monarch that we have tried.

http://www.zen-ray.com/shop/binoculars/vista/vista8x42.html

It seems that the 10x25 monocular comes free too. Our little kid loves it.

http://www.zen-ray.com/shop/accessories/mono-10x25.html

I researched heavily and tried a lot of different pairs at Dick's and Gander Mountain. I ended up buying a waterproof/fogproof pair of Nikon Trailblazer 10x42's which have the added advantage of being used by different people who either wear or don't wear eyeglasses. I also liked the fact that they were a nice compromise between full-size and super compact binoculars.

I researched heavily and tried a lot of different pairs at Dick's and Gander Mountain. I ended up buying a waterproof/fogproof pair of Nikon Trailblazer 10x42's which have the added advantage of being used by different people who either wear or don't wear eyeglasses. I also liked the fact that they were a nice compromise between full-size and super compact binoculars.

Can you tell us what the weight is of these? I tried looking around on Nikon's website, but could not find a listing for them. I did find them on Amazon, but with no information on weight.

Thanks!

Can you tell us what the weight is of these? I tried looking around on Nikon's website, but could not find a listing for them. I did find them on Amazon, but with no information on weight.

Thanks!

According to this website http://www.opticsplanet.net/nikon-8221-trailblazer-atb-10x50mm-waterproof-binoculars.html?gclid=CPq49t_2jq4CFRN3hwodpmxvfg

29.1 oz

They are considerably lighter than that. You are quoting the 10x50's which are 29.1 oz. The 10 x 42 are listed at 22.4 oz.

You're so right...I hate when I do a search for something specific and then I don't notice that a different product comes up--and I should have noticed, since I thought that was awfully heavy for 10x42. Thanks for catching my error.

You're so right...I hate when I do a search for something specific and then I don't notice that a different product comes up--and I should have noticed, since I thought that was awfully heavy for 10x42. Thanks for catching my error.

I had that problem when I was doing my research on binoculars, and I agree it is very frustrating. You search for one thing and they give you something else!!! It also helped that I knew I had rejected the 10x50's because they were that heavy.

That's what these boards are for--to share information. Glad you weren't offended by the correction as no ill will was intended! :)

Just to add my two cents here, I recently bought two sets of binoculars for my upcoming trip. One is a 10x25 compact Alpen Pro waterproof, and the other is a Nikon Action Ex Extreme 8x42. The Alpens were inexpensive on Amazon and are what I would call "decent". They are low price, decent optics, very lightweight and weatherproof. They are slightly wider angle than other 10x25 and use bak-4 lenses and porro prisms. We'll use these when we want to travel light. You can get them for only $50 on Amazon

My "go to" set is the Nikons. With the 42mm objective lens and outstanding optics you can't beat the image. They have long, adjustable eye relief and use a full metal chasis under the rubberized exterior. They are certainly heavier than a compact set, but these will be great for watching off the deck. Simply outstanding binoculars. They were around $120 on Amazon.

The other set I tried was the Bushnell 8x42 H20 model (porro, not roof prism). For under $70 they were surprisingly good. I was really considering them, especially with the $50 price difference versus the Nikons. However, I decided if these are going to be "Dad's binoculars" I'll spend the extra. I wouldn't hesitate to pick up a set, and since they are plentiful I'm keeping an eye on eBay for a used pair.

Just thought I would share. You can't go wrong with those Nikons, plus they have 10x40's, 12x40's and even higher if that's what you want.

just got a pair of Nikon Monarch 8x42 for $110. :) I think it's very similar to Zen-Ray VISTA that we have for a few years. The VISTA seems to have wider viewing angle. Both of them are better than Nikon trailblazer.

Where did you get Monarchs for half price?

Not sure if I posted here before or not, but I can recommend my 10x30 Canon Image Stabilizer binoculars. The optics are fantastic and when you realize much of the distortion one has in binoculars is the person holding them is shaking. These things take that away. If it is worth looking at it is worth looking with the best.

Not sure if I posted here before or not, but I can recommend my 10x30 Canon Image Stabilizer binoculars. The optics are fantastic and when you realize much of the distortion one has in binoculars is the person holding them is shaking. These things take that away. If it is worth looking at it is worth looking with the best.

Those are pretty neat if you don't mind paying close to $500 for a set of binoculars

cannot speak for Bushnell roof binoculars. We got a pair of Zen-Ray VISTA 8x42 binoculars. It's better than the Nikon Monarch that we have tried.

http://www.zen-ray.com/shop/binoculars/vista/vista8x42.html

It seems that the 10x25 monocular comes free too. Our little kid loves it.

http://www.zen-ray.com/shop/accessories/mono-10x25.html

You can get a better view with 10x binoculars. It's 10 times magnification vs 8x magnification. I full-heartedly agree that larger 42mm binocular is really great for low light condition in Alaska. We took a pair of Nikon EDG and Zen-Ray SUMMIT binoculars with us.

• 2 weeks later...

This is a very good thread! For all you experts out there...

We have a couple pair of "old" binoculars that we were considering for our upcoming Alaskan cruise. I have no idea if they will work well for us.:o They are rather large & heavy. We either bought them or were gifted them years ago. They are Minolta XL 12X50, and Bushnell 16X50.:eek:

I hesitate to purchase new ones if we don't really need to (just bought a new camera for this trip!), and if our arms can take the weight, LOL.

Just curious as to anyone's thoughts on these. Thanks!

Also, you think we should take two pair, one for each of us?

This is a very good thread! For all you experts out there...

We have a couple pair of "old" binoculars that we were considering for our upcoming Alaskan cruise. I have no idea if they will work well for us.:o They are rather large & heavy. We either bought them or were gifted them years ago. They are Minolta XL 12X50, and Bushnell 16X50.:eek:

I hesitate to purchase new ones if we don't really need to (just bought a new camera for this trip!), and if our arms can take the weight, LOL.

Just curious as to anyone's thoughts on these. Thanks!

Also, you think we should take two pair, one for each of us?

From my research I found that any maginification over 10 will need a tripod and is not recommended for hand use.

Archived