Any binocular recommendations for Alaska

Expo67

I borrowed a pair of Nikons from my dad. They are sweet. No idea how much they cost.

I highly recommend begging or borrowing whatever you can for trips. I borrowed binoculars and a telephoto lens from my dad and luggage from my mom :D

Of course not everyone has those options...

I got the Bushnell waterproof/fogproof 12 X 42. Got 'em for under

$100 so was thrilled!!! :D

Just found these in the hunting section of Walmart for about $45 --couldn't believe it. Only problem is you can't try them out.:(

For binoculars, don't get those packed in the plastic clamshells. They are typically low quality products. In sporting goods store,you can try those packed in boxes. They are much better.

Was wondering is any of you would like to share your thoughts on this as I will be looking for a new pair soon.

One thing that is important - do not ever try optics that you can not afford but also buy the best that you can afford. Binocs at the $100 price point are total crap. When I bought my last pair, I made the mistake of trying "just for fun" a set of $2000 Leitz binocs. They were worth the money and if I had it, I would have bought them.

DON

One thing that is important - do not ever try optics that you can not afford but also buy the best that you can afford. Binocs at the $100 price point are total crap. When I bought my last pair, I made the mistake of trying "just for fun" a set of $2000 Leitz binocs. They were worth the money and if I had it, I would have bought them.

DON

Not sure I agree with the "TOTAL" crap advice.

Many (including me), will have limited reasons to use a pair in our 'normal' lives, so setting a comfortable price, and finding the best you can at that price, is a valid way to shop.

And while a $100 pair will certainly be inferior to a $200 or $500 or $2000 pair, they will certainly be better than nothing.

So, my advice is to go ahead and set that comfortable price, then search out the best you can find. That probably means going and USING a few pairs to see for yourself. A good sporting goods, or outdoors focused store should allow you to poke around at several pairs to compare. (Bass Pro Shops, if near you, are phenomonal).

I'd also add that finding the lower priced version of a high, (or mid), priced line is probably better than seeking the highest priced version of a low quality line. The lowest priced pair in, say, a mid-quality Busnell line of binoculars will benefit from the quality included in all pairs in the line.

My own experience in purchasing recently:

I searched online, and found what I thought would fit my requirements for $100. It was a Bass Pro Shops in house brand, "Redhead" 10X42. They came in at exactly $100, which I was comfortable with.

In looking at them, and a pair of Bushnell Trophy XLT's 8X32 that the salesman was kind enough to also pull out....The Bushnell, again at exactly $100, blew the Redhead out of the water. Night and day difference.

So, I think there IS quality at most price points. But, it isn't obvious by looking only at the specs. You need to use them.

Final advice from an eyeglass wearer: If you're like me, you probably have never looked through a pair of cheaper binoculars, and felt comfortable. Most aren't made for us! Your eyes are too far from the eyepieces. So, look for a pair with a long "eye relief". Something around 15mm or more. That specifies how close your eyes need be to the eyepieces....and longer is better if you wear eyeglasses. (This number, and numerous other specs, should be published on the box, and often online by manufacturers).

DON

You are way too hardcore for me. I didn't even want to spend $100 on a pair of binoculars. I've officially only used them twice and have no idea when I'll use them again.

I would only "invest" in binoculars if I thought I'd use them a lot, not once or twice. I did a Prince William Sound cruise, went to Denali, and bear viewing in Anan Creek. I thought my Bushnell H2O 8x42 binoculars were great. They are being sold for $95 on Amazon...and yes, it's packed in a clamshell case.

Adding to my earlier thoughts:

This question seems to get asked fairly often on the Alaska boards. And since I just went through a buying experience, and have some resources handy, I thought I'd post them here.

Basic and technical information from Wikipedia:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Binoculars

An online sellers buying guide. (Useful for the recommended magnification chart at the bottom of the page. Essential lesson: You don’t need much more than 8-10X power for what we intend to use them for).

http://www.just-binoculars.com/binocular_facts.htm

From some bird watching websites. (I’ve found these types of websites to be a little less “snooty” than some. They won’t tell you you need to spend $1000. :D)

http://www.birding-binoculars.net/

http://www.birding.com/binoculars.asp

And, finally, while hopefully not being a shill for Bushnell, here is their website with some basics.

(I do think that Bushnell is the “General Motors” of binoculars. Yeah, buy a Porshe if you can afford it, but if you can’t, GM probably has something for you. :))

http://www.bushnell.com/products/binoculars/ (You can find them cheaper than Bushnell is willing to sell them to you directly.)

Their technical guide:

http://www.bushnell.com/products/binoculars/tech-talk/

I hope this is helpful in getting started.

I have several types of binoculars of different sizes, but basically little and large. The little are Nikons that are very good.

It all depends on how much money you want to spend. I think that there are good binoculars out there for $100 or less and they are not “crap”. They may not be as good as the ones I used on bridge tours that the captain uses, but they were OK.

Now what I have and would recommend if you can afford them are Optical Stabilization binoculars. It is amazing what a pair of Canon 7x50 Optical stabilization binoculars can do. You can see a sign well but can’t read the writing. When you press the battery driven optic button you can read the writing. Amazing. They run around $300 a pair.

The detail that one sees when pressing the button is fantastic. You can also use them when riding on a train or car or even if the boat is pitching.

Magnification is good, but it also magnifies my shaking and the stabilization fixes that.

We took Leica waterproof compact in an 8X magnification - more than adequate, and also took Zeiss 12 X 42 waterproof - also more than adequate. Were clearly seeing bears in Glacier Bay that others were struggling to find.......

We took Leica waterproof compact in an 8X magnification - more than adequate, and also took Zeiss 12 X 42 waterproof - also more than adequate. Were clearly seeing bears in Glacier Bay that others were struggling to find.......

All wonderful lenses but out of my price range. I agree with the advice of not to even pick up a pair you can't afford. I am planning to check out one of the large box sports stores in the city 50 miles away and then e-bay. I have some very light 8x25 Minoltas that were a gift but don't fit my face very well and are definitely not waterproof. :(

When we went to Alaska last year, I purchased a pair of Zhumell 10x42 short barrel Binoculars for my wife for her to use, she loved them where powerful and compact. They were easy to carry and store in my camera backpack. You won't be disappointed. Here is a link to check they out, also, they are not pricey.

http://www.binoculars.com/binoculars/bird-watching-binoculars/10x42shortbarrelwaterproofbinoculars.cfm

I have just purchased a pair of 8x42 short barrel Zhummels on e-bay. Great buy on binoculars that are just right for me. Thanks for the recommendation.

Just off of the Celebrity Northbound Alaska on the Millennium. Brought a pair of Zen Ray ZRS HD 10 X42. Used them constantly and they were clear, bright and added a new dimension of viewing scenery and wildlife to our trip. Highly recommend them. A bit pricey, but worth every penny.

Just back from Alaska. Took binoculars and NEVER used them. I had a DSLR with a 250mm zoom and used that instead. If you are going to take photos the binoculars are a waste of time and effort, because you are going to use the camera all of the time anyway.

Just back from Alaska. Took binoculars and NEVER used them. I had a DSLR with a 250mm zoom and used that instead. If you are going to take photos the binoculars are a waste of time and effort, because you are going to use the camera all of the time anyway.

In my dreams! My husband will be taking his along but I am a point and shoot photographer. I just like to watch and enjoy that way it stays in my soul.;)

I have owned several brands of binoculars. Bushnell's all the way to Leica. I won the Leica Duovid glasses at a fund raising event a few years ago, it's an incredible binocular with an incredible(high) price tag.

My advice is go with the most binocular you can reasonably afford. I tend to agree that binoculars under $100 is false economy for glasses you will use on a trip to Alaska, use the under $100 bino's for football games. Usually the higher end glasses have a high resale value on ebay if you decide to sell them after the cruise.

i did a lot of research and found this a complicated topic. I ended up buying Nikon Trailblazer 8x42 waterproof with a nice eyecup. You need an eyecup if you wear glasses and want to be comfy. The higher the magnification (8 part of the 8x42) the heavier they are. I got mine online at B&H photo (as well as a new camera!) for about 120$.

Below is a post I wrote a while back in a different thread on this forum. The best advice in the messages above is to go into a store that sells a wide range and buy them. The best binoculars I've personally used at moderate prices are the Nikon Monarch series and the Canon Image Stabilization - the Image Stabilization helps tons if you're considering 10X or stronger binoculars and is amazing.

Also consider how easy these are to use. Fantastic quality binoculars that are too large and difficult to hold won't help you much.

Binoculars are a tough question as the options and price ranges are so wide. Some think more expensive binoculars (several hundred dollars) are a waste and some think the cheap ones (under $100) are terrible. If you could afford more expensive ones then go into a camera, sporting goods, or bird watching store that has a nice selection and check them out.

Unless your hands are very steady I'd stick with the 8x binoculars. Overall you'll be happier with them. If you can spend a little more and really want the higher power consider some image stabilizing binoculars. We bought some Canon 10X image stabilized binoculars (10x30) that are fantastic. The way they steady a view is amazing but they do run around $300. Google Canon 8x30 IS and you'll find lots of info on them.

By the way - Bruin Steve's info on the second number is half right. The second number is the size of the objective lens (the one furthest from your eyes). The larger (higher) this number is then theoretically the more light it lets in (brighter image) and the wider the field of view. But this is also very dependant on the quality of the optics in the binoculars. A pair of very high quality binoculars with a smaller objective number (like 8x20) could have a brighter image than a low quality higher second number (8x42) binoculars. And field of view can vary a little between brands and models.

Another consideration is size and weight. The best binoculars may be the ones that you use the most and have with you when you need them and for many people this might be a very small pair. A pair of fantastic quality and optic binoculars that are large and weigh a lot might look nice when you look through them but be a big pain to carry around or to hold for more than a few seconds.

For our Alaska trip for four of us we had a pair of older binoculars, a mid price pair of binoculars (Nikon 8x42) the Canon 10x30IS binoculars I mentioned above and a very small pair of 8x20 binoculars. The ones we used and liked the most were the image stabilized Canon binoculars and the smaller 8x20 binoculars. The small 8x20 were a very high quality - so the view was much brighter than the 8x42 binoculars (let lots of light through) although the field of vision was pretty narrow. But they were one of our favorites as they were very easy to carry and hold due to their small size and weight. They are Leica binoculars which are very expensive but I was lucky to find a fantastic price on a pair in an unusual color being closed out on eBay.

A great site for lots of info is binoculars.com - look at their FAQ on binoculars which has lots of good information. Selection is fantastic - but you can find better prices if you look a lot.

Hope this helps and doesn't just confuse things more.

i did a lot of research and found this a complicated topic. I ended up buying Nikon Trailblazer 8x42 waterproof with a nice eyecup. You need an eyecup if you wear glasses and want to be comfy. The higher the magnification (8 part of the 8x42) the heavier they are. I got mine online at B&H photo (as well as a new camera!) for about 120$.

When I have my glasses on I fold the cups back out of the way. Am I doing it wrong?

The binoculars will help you determine if that black spot up on the mountain is a bear or not. Binoculars are used for spotting and then take the camera and use digital zoom to 21 for the picture.

• 3 weeks later...

After putting all your suggestions to work and going out to many stores I have it narrowed down. The ones I keep siding on are these. They are cheap but they seem to have decent optics, are light weight, and cheap in terms of some of them I have looked at. Any of you have any opinions on these by Pentax. We leave for Alaska in 5 weeks so its getting close to making a purchase. :rolleyes:

http://www.opticsplanet.net/pentax-ucf-8-16x21-zoom-2.html

After putting all your suggestions to work and going out to many stores I have it narrowed down. The ones I keep siding on are these. They are cheap but they seem to have decent optics, are light weight, and cheap in terms of some of them I have looked at. Any of you have any opinions on these by Pentax. We leave for Alaska in 5 weeks so its getting close to making a purchase. :rolleyes:

If you've gone to the stores and compared different models and found one you like then go for it. Only you can determine which you like and which is the best compromise between optics, size, features and price for you. Congratulations on doing the proper homework - I hope you have a great cruise.

Looks like a very good buy to me.

When you buy binoculars you should check their performance at the store, or if you buy them online, as soon as they arrive. Here are a few tests that will help you choose a quality binocular.

1. Look carefully at the objective lenses. Reject the binocular if you see signs of scratches or dirt.

2. Consider the weight and bulk of the instrument; lightweight binoculars are less tiring to hold than heavier ones.

3. Is the instrument soundly

made? Pick it up and move the halves back and forth. The hinge should work smoothly, with steady resistance. If there is any play in the joints or anything rattles put it back and try another.

4. Hold the binoculars at arms length away from you, and point them at the sky or a window. The exit pupils should be truly circular and uniformly bright.

5. For most binoculars collimation problems are not immediately obvious when you first pick the instrument up and view through it. If after using the binoculars for several minutes your eyes feel uncomfortable as they compensate for the barrel misalignment, most probably the binoculars are out of collimation, which means that the two barrels don't point in the same direction. This is a serious problem, and you shouldn't buy those binoculars.

Chromatic abberation.

[larger image]

6. Look through the binoculars, find a high-contrast object such as a tree against the daytime sky, and place it in the center of the field. If you see strong green or violet fringes of light along the edges of the object, the binoculars suffer form a defect known as chromatic aberration. In general, the higher the magnification, the bigger the chromatic aberration. This error is not critical for astronomical use, but it can be a real problem for birders and other nature enthusiasts that want accurate color rendition.

7. Check the type of antireflection coatings by looking at

the two reflections of the light from the front and back of the objective lenses. Multicoated lenses usually give green or purple reflections, while simple coated lenses generally have blue reflections. Don't buy binoculars that give bright white reflections; they have no antireflection coatings and will perform poorly for astronomical use.

8. If you choose binoculars with large fields of view, you might notice that the edges of the field are conspicuously distorted. This optical defect is called distortion, and is most obvious during daytime use. Even high quality binoculars have some degree of distortion, but it hardly noticeable, especially in astronomical viewing.

9. The ultimate test for your binoculars is to take them outside at night and look at a bright star. After you have the star centered in the field of view and bring the binoculars in good focus, take a close look at it. The star should be a sharp near-pointlike imagery, without any irregular spikes or rays shooting out of it. Small deviations from this ideal image are always present to some degree in most binoculars, and this is perfectly OK as long as the star remains a round disk, even when moved towards the edge of the field.

One last word: Remember that you always get what you

pay for. In most cases the brand name tells a lot about the quality of the instrument, so avoid buying form companies with which you are unfamiliar. Brands like Nikon, Minolta, Leica, Leupold, Bausch and Lomb, Tasco, and Bushnell have a reputation for high quality standards, even for the inexpensive models.

Looks like a very good buy to me.

When you buy binoculars you should check their performance at the store, or if you buy them online, as soon as they arrive. Here are a few tests that will help you choose a quality binocular.

Big THUMBS UP to these suggestions!

Most of us look through binoculars, and just say, "Well, looks pretty good to me." This post gives some real tests to check and compare with. At the very least, it gives us some tools to weed out the truly bad binoculars.

Thanks for the tips.

Thank you Scapel for the very detailed insight into the binoculars. These are tests that I will try out once I make a purchase. Still a bit undecided as my wife is pushing for a larger objective lens to let in more light. Of course the disadvantage is the added weight. If I have any further questions I will drop back in and once again thanks for the helpful tips. ;)

Archived