Summit to Bermuda May 15-22

BEARFACE

Here is my short review of the Summit to Bermuda:

Embarkation:

Went very smoothly, dropped our bags with the porter and inside the terminal. Well we are guided to the Elite line where there seems to be many, while others were on much shorter lines, doesn't make sense so it took maybe a half hour and we were onboard.

Ship:

The Summit is a beautiful ship, we did this same itinerary last year in April. The public lounges were in good shape, kept very clean, although by the pool deck where you are allowed to smoke I found it to be very untidy at times, glasses and plates left on tables and ashtrays that were full, but otherwise you would always see someone cleaning inside the ship. In January the ship goes into drydock, should be some very nice changes, hope to book again next Fall.

We spent most of our time aft of the ship, beautiful view of the ocean and very relaxing.

Food:

Well the menus have changed quite a bit, many new and interesting entrees to choose from. We found the food to be very good, some of our favorites were the Chicken Wellington and the filet mignon. Our service was a bit slow but was okay, it was just myself and DH so we were out of there fairly quickly. The first night we were seated with a table of six when once again they made a mistake with our seating of a table for two, by the second night we were accomodated. By the way that table of six, there were two very nice couples who we ended up spending time with and we had a great time together with many laughs.

Ports:

We arrived in Bermuda on Wednesday the 18th, what can I say, it is without a doubt the most beautiful island. We have been to Bermuda many times and enjoy just walking around taking in all the sights once again. The first day was overcast so we ventured into Hamilton via the ferry, did a lot of walking. The second day we went over to St. George by ferry and it was beautiful that day, no excursions for us, just alot of walking. We were contemplating doing the horse and carriage but decided maybe next time. Friday was also a nice day and we decided to stay in the dockyards and walk around, very relaxing. We wanted to go to Snorkel Park just to take in the views and found out that now they charge $5.00/pp to enter during the day, I found this very disappointing. We did not want to use the beach, just wanted to take a stroll through, so therefore we decided against going in. I know at night they have a covercharge but did not think they would charge during the day. Friday we were back on the ship by 2pm just to relax.

Service:

Was very good, our stateroom attendant was terrific, always asking if we needed anything, opening the door for us when he was around.

Bar servers were excellent as well. We spent most of our evenings in Michael's Club, since being Elite we receive complimentary drinks from 5-7 so that was very nice.

I must say for laughs that the last night in Michael's Club I ordered an ice water while DH had beers, well they were serving the O'rderves and while sampling one of them it spilled on my capri's, well I kicked back to clean off in time and low and behold everything went over on the table, what a mess, the drinks spilled, chairs wet, good thing I was not drinking they would have cut me off LOL..anyway I must have turned every shade of red.

Entertainment:

We do not attend most of the Celebrity shows, we've seen plenty of them in the past. We did attend the show with comedian Bruce Smirnoff and he was hilarious, saw him twice in the theatre. They also had a piano player and he was awesome, name escapes me right now.

We also attended many of the music trivia challenges, DH played the Battle of the Sexes, he really enjoyed it. We won a few of the challenges and our prizes were Celebrity pens and visors.

Excitement for the week:

On the last sea day there was a small electrical fire in the pantry, deck 8, same deck we were on, they took care of it asap and everything was fine thankfully.

Disembarkation:

Went very smoothly, we waited in the Normandie Lounge and chatted with Corrina, the Captain's Club Hostess, very nice lady. We were called off around 9:45 to deck 1, off to the shuttle and back to the pier in about a half hour so not too bad. We had our limo driver waiting and home in 35 minutes, we were home by 11:30.

Of course I would never hesitate to cruise with Celebrity, been on quite a few and plan on continuing. I highly recommend Celebrity to everyone.

Sounds like you had a great cruise, thanks for posting a review.

Which side of the ship was facing the dockyard? Can you tell me about how long the ferry rides are to Hamilton and St. George? Thanks!

Sounds like you had a great cruise, thanks for posting a review.

Which side of the ship was facing the dockyard? Can you tell me about how long the ferry rides are to Hamilton and St. George? Thanks!

We were facing portside. The ferry to Hamilton took about 30 minutes while the ferry to St. George took about 45 minutes but very enjoyable, the views are breathtaking. Do not take the larger ferry, we took one back from St. George and it took over an hour and it was very warm with very little breeze.

BEARFACE...do you remember what night was the Elite Party? Also, what time did they START disembarkation? 9:45am sounds late. Did the CC hostess walk you off? We ordered a limo for 8:30am so Im wondering if we should change the time. Out flt. is 11:30 out of Newark.

Thanks

Ann

Godley TX

BEARFACE, glad you had a great time, loved your review. It is too bad that we missed each other by a week. Maybe another time we will cruise together again.

Suz

BEARFACE...do you remember what night was the Elite Party? Also, what time did they START disembarkation? 9:45am sounds late. Did the CC hostess walk you off? We ordered a limo for 8:30am so Im wondering if we should change the time. Out flt. is 11:30 out of Newark.

Thanks

Ann

Godley TX

The Elite Party was held on the last formal night, (Friday). Disembarkation started around 8am, we requested to disembark at 9:45, the CC hostess did not walk off with us. You can request to get off at 8:30. they would accomodate you considering you have a flight to take.

BEARFACE, glad you had a great time, loved your review. It is too bad that we missed each other by a week. Maybe another time we will cruise together again.

Suz

Thanks Suzanne:)

Excitement for the week:

On the last sea day there was a small electrical fire in the pantry, deck 8, same deck we were on, they took care of it asap and everything was fine thankfully.

We will be on Deck 8 for our June cruise. Where on Deck 8 was the fire. I wonder if there was smoke damage for nearby cabins. Do you know if there was?

We will be on Deck 8 for our June cruise. Where on Deck 8 was the fire. I wonder if there was smoke damage for nearby cabins. Do you know if there was?

Well we were in cabin 8097 and the fire was in the pantry opposite side of the stairs, down that corridor, not sure of the cabin numbers down on that end. There was no smoke damage to other cabins, they had it under control in a short amount of time.

Hi Laura, glad you had a good cruise:D:):D and hopefully one day we

will eventually sail together!

Thanks Lois:D we always enjoy ourselves!! I'm sure you had a wonderful time as well on the Century.

Yes one day we will sail on the high seas together;)hope all is well with you.

Great review, thank you. We will be sailing on her in a few weeks. Did they have a deck party any night while in Bermuda?

Yes they did, last Thursday was Island Night on the pool deck, did not attend, I was off the ship exploring the dockyards at night and it is so pretty to see all the homes lit up and seeing the ships at night, with a full moon shining on the water, doesn't get better then that;)

Here is my short review of the Summit to Bermuda:

I must say for laughs that the last night in Michael's Club I ordered an ice water while DH had beers, well they were serving the O'rderves and while sampling one of them it spilled on my capri's, well I kicked back to clean off in time and low and behold everything went over on the table, what a mess, the drinks spilled, chairs wet, good thing I was not drinking they would have cut me off LOL..anyway I must have turned every shade of red.

Well, now I know what happenned. My partner and I went to our usual chairs and it looked like (sorry) a very wet bomb had gone off!

The usually unflappable and charming waitress Elena was, well, flapped and we carefully felt the chairs for wetness. Sorry we missed the show!

Also had a great cruise!

Thanks for the review. I'm looking forward to my first Celebrity sailing in July. One quick question... Did they have traditional dining while in port or open seating as reported last week by a reviewer?

Well, now I know what happenned. My partner and I went to our usual chairs and it looked like (sorry) a very wet bomb had gone off!

The usually unflappable and charming waitress Elena was, well, flapped and we carefully felt the chairs for wetness. Sorry we missed the show!

Also had a great cruise!

Oh how funny and embarrassing for me at the same time, I think I might have seen you in there, I was rushing so quick to get a piece of food off my pants that I just kicked back and everything spilled, and yes as you mentioned wet chairs, I wanted to crawl under a table LOL...thankfully you did not sit in wet chairs, hope you had as much of a great time as I did.

Thanks for the review. I'm looking forward to my first Celebrity sailing in July. One quick question... Did they have traditional dining while in port or open seating as reported last week by a reviewer?

They had open seating and I was not too pleased, by the time we got to our table it was taken by someone else, and we were there on time. I really prefer they keep it traditional dining throughout the whole week as they did in the past.

Enjoy your cruise!!

They had open seating and I was not too pleased, by the time we got to our table it was taken by someone else, and we were there on time. I really prefer they keep it traditional dining throughout the whole week as they did in the past.

Enjoy your cruise!!

Great review!

Would you mind answering a couple of questions? We were in Bermuda years ago and did do the horse and buggy ride. Funny story...the driver was from Brooklyn and the horse was from Belmont. What made you not do it? Was it expensive?

Also you mentioned about the "free" drinks for Elite members. Was this every day? Was it at a certain bar?

Thanks, I appreciate your help since we will be going their in a few weeks.

Bob

Great review!

Would you mind answering a couple of questions? We were in Bermuda years ago and did do the horse and buggy ride. Funny story...the driver was from Brooklyn and the horse was from Belmont. What made you not do it? Was it expensive?

Also you mentioned about the "free" drinks for Elite members. Was this every day? Was it at a certain bar?

Thanks, I appreciate your help since we will be going their in a few weeks.

Bob

The Horse and Carriage ride was $80/hr, little steep for us, when just a few years ago it was $60/hr.

The free drinks for Elite members (5-7) was every night in Michael's Club with the exception of embarkation day.

Enjoy your cruise!!

The Horse and Carriage ride was $80/hr, little steep for us, when just a few years ago it was $60/hr.

The free drinks for Elite members (5-7) was every night in Michael's Club with the exception of embarkation day.

Enjoy your cruise!!

Thanks so much for getting back to me and you do the same in 191 days. It will here before you know it. :)

Bob

Oh how funny and embarrassing for me at the same time, I think I might have seen you in there, I was rushing so quick to get a piece of food off my pants that I just kicked back and everything spilled, and yes as you mentioned wet chairs, I wanted to crawl under a table LOL...thankfully you did not sit in wet chairs, hope you had as much of a great time as I did.

Don't worry - I didn't actually see you so I can't attach a face to the mess! We had a fabulous time and I really liked Elena in Michael's Club and Korina was the hardest working Captain's Club hostess I have ever seen.

I thought most of the passengers were really a nice mix - no whiners noted! I usually dislike cruise shows but loved iBroadway - an excellent fast-paced show.

I haaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaated the open seating dinners. Of course, I ran like an insane person as soon as the dining room doors opened overturning chairs as I went to block those behind me ;) and got my usual table.

My criticisms were few and far between - I frequently found the food amazingly salty and thought that The Normandie was mediocre at best.

As I am the walking spill magnet, I am glad that you sucked all of those nasty negative spill ions out of the air before I arrived!

Don't worry - I didn't actually see you so I can't attach a face to the mess! We had a fabulous time and I really liked Elena in Michael's Club and Korina was the hardest working Captain's Club hostess I have ever seen.

I thought most of the passengers were really a nice mix - no whiners noted! I usually dislike cruise shows but loved iBroadway - an excellent fast-paced show.

I haaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaated the open seating dinners. Of course, I ran like an insane person as soon as the dining room doors opened overturning chairs as I went to block those behind me ;) and got my usual table.

My criticisms were few and far between - I frequently found the food amazingly salty and thought that The Normandie was mediocre at best.

As I am the walking spill magnet, I am glad that you sucked all of those nasty negative spill ions out of the air before I arrived!

Hate to tell you but you were probably looking right over at us, according to DH you were talking to an older couple at the back table to the far right, anyway I am usually not so clumsy LOL;)

I thought Elena was a sweetheart, very, very nice woman and Korina was very nice as well, always a smile on her face.

We did the Normandie last year and thought it was very good, but did not want to spend $70 when I can dine in the MDR, all about a budget for us.

I am sure we are not the only ones who disliked the open seating, my DH was ready to go up to the buffet the first night in Bermuda when we could not get our own table, not a good start to the evening.

Well many more happy cruises in your future:)

Archived