Who should I tell about this?

okwriter

Two friends and I returned from an Ecstasy cruise in early May (my third, their second). We had a GREAT time, and I love being one step closer to Platinum. :D

If I had received a comment card, I'd have plenty of praise to go around, and there was one *issue* that I want to pass along to someone. I didn't mention it to any of the crew on the cruise because I think if they could have remedied it, they would have. So I wonder if this just needs pointed out to someone with the authority ($$) to address the situation? :confused:

The three of us are HUGE coffee drinkers. I typically ordered my own pot through room service early in the morning and drank it while my friends slept in. Then after they got up, we ordered another two pots. I think we even ordered a pot one or two evenings from room service. Although delivered promptly every time, I'd say 4 out of 5 carafes came without a lid/spout, which keeps the coffee hot and allows you to pour it without making a huge mess. They were instead delivered with a little serving dish stuck in the top (think butter dipping cup on lobster night).

P5030235.jpg

Before anyone pounces, this did NOT ruin my cruise, and I don't want a refund or future cruise discount. But I DO want to pass my comment along to someone who can perhaps remedy this. In light of all that has happened in Oklahoma and Missouri the past few days, I feel like a whiner for even bringing this up. But I feel compelled to because it struck me as being---well, tacky.

So what I'm asking is: who should I contact about this? Guest relations in Miami? My PVP (in hopes he could pass it along to someone)? Other suggestions?

OP, you are right! While it doesn't ruin your cruise or cause you to need anything free, it should be brought to someone's attention; I would have started with housekeeping, then guest services. It looks like Carnival has just given up with "wowing" the guests when they send something out like that. In this instance, they lived up to their critics expectations. I love Carnival, so I'm not hating on them, but really!?

My best guess is that the tops are removed purposefully because they can be difficult to clean and will become unsanitary after one or two uses. If you have one of these carafes at home, and look at the lid, you will see that is should be taken apart to be cleaned well. It is probably much more sanitary, much easier to clean, and probably a great time and labor saver to simply remove the lids and replace them with easy to clean utensils.

not a good excuse.

not a good guess.

My best guess is that the tops are removed purposefully because they can be difficult to clean and will become unsanitary after one or two uses. If you have one of these carafes at home, and look at the lid, you will see that is should be taken apart to be cleaned well. It is probably much more sanitary, much easier to clean, and probably a great time and labor saver to simply remove the lids and replace them with easy to clean utensils.

But Denny's/IHOP/ local cafe's do this every day without any issue :confused: I agree that the right person simply isn't aware. It would seem apparent that the department is aware but until it's an issue it likely won't get addressed.

John is the "Brand Ambassador" and like it or not, issues/complaints are part of that role. Unfortunately he is also currently serving as a CD which really stretches him pretty thin (more cost saving measures??). We have seen post after post that comment cards don't come out, and short of sending a letter to some anonymous box in Miami I'm not sure the company has provided many other resources. If CCL has placed him in this position I'm not sure what there is a concern about using him. This certainly seems more valid than a table for two.

It sure seems to me that the documentation of the picture is a great visual of how it cheapens the overall experience. It wouldn't run my cruise (and it didn't the OP either), but it is just one of those things to add to the list. When small things add up over time it becomes a bigger issue. If someone had 3-5 of these non issues over the course of a week it might be cause enough to at least consider another line when booking... and once you look and the itinerary works you may give it a shot.

Beside being tacky this could be a safety concern - imagine fumbling that wide open carafe and having hot coffee all over you.

I agree with you on this one. My first impression was that it would be hard to pour coffee without having it spill everywhere and burn someone. Rather then it being tacky, it should be considered a safety issue.

I don't know if it is fleet wide yet but the last two cruises I took didn't have comment cards, but a few days after the cruise I was emailed an online survey that asked all the same questions.

If you get emailed the survey it will have space to make comments about things like this.

As long as he encourages this why do you care?

But Denny's/IHOP/ local cafe's do this every day without any issue :confused: I agree that the right person simply isn't aware. It would seem apparent that the department is aware but until it's an issue it likely won't get addressed.

John is the "Brand Ambassador" and like it or not, issues/complaints are part of that role. Unfortunately he is also currently serving as a CD which really stretches him pretty thin (more cost saving measures??). We have seen post after post that comment cards don't come out, and short of sending a letter to some anonymous box in Miami I'm not sure the company has provided many other resources. If CCL has placed him in this position I'm not sure what there is a concern about using him. This certainly seems more valid than a table for two.

It sure seems to me that the documentation of the picture is a great visual of how it cheapens the overall experience. It wouldn't run my cruise (and it didn't the OP either), but it is just one of those things to add to the list. When small things add up over time it becomes a bigger issue. If someone had 3-5 of these non issues over the course of a week it might be cause enough to at least consider another line when booking... and once you look and the itinerary works you may give it a shot.

Although it may be encouraged, John gets so many petty requests that I am appalled by some of them. There are other advocates for Carnival Corporation besides John that can be utilized. People really need to be a little more proactive by addressing many of these things while ON the ship rather than afterwards. It also doesn't hurt to be a bit more diligent searching for resolutions before recommending John for every little issue.

Yes the coffee "toppers" are tacky but the customer service line is a great place to start. Not everything should be directed to John Heald.

As another poster mentioned the online surveys can be very useful feedback for CCL.

I don't know if it is fleet wide yet but the last two cruises I took didn't have comment cards, but a few days after the cruise I was emailed an online survey that asked all the same questions.

If you get emailed the survey it will have space to make comments about things like this.

IF........

Is it possible that the condiment lid holds the heat better and that is why they have started using them? Did you notice a difference in the length of time the coffee stayed hot?

:rolleyes:

Archived