Bay of Biscay - what's your experience ??

WATB

Hi everyone

Having enjoyed 7 days on Ventura, I'm looking at another 7 day trip but this time on Azura going to Spain and France........my only concern is the infamous Bay of Biscay !!

Are the summer months okay or are there rough seas anytime of the year ? I guess when its rough, it means its going to be poor weather too ?

Talking myself out of this one at the moment :eek:

Hi WATB.

Only done BOB once so far, last October, and it was fine. Misty and rainy and a few wobbles but nothing bad. We've had a lot worse in the Caribbean and on this month's TA.

Hope it's the same this October.

During 'An audience with the Captain' on Ventura, someone asked him which seas were the worst for sailing in his long experience - reply BOB! :eek:

On Oriana in May 2010 it was flat as a pancake both ways - 10 days apart. Earlier this month on Oceana there was a very large and uncomfortable swell with a force 6 wind blowing, coming back (last Sunday) there was still a swell but less so - force 4 I think.

A bit uncomfortable for some but not for others.

I've 'done' BoB twice. The first in August 2004 was very calm. Unfortunately however, in August 2009 on Ventura we hit force 9 winds and the crossing was quite rough. I was just about ok but my wife was unwell. I spoke to some of the crew who said it was the worst they had known and was not a common occurence. Just the luck of the draw I suppose.

On all but one of our crossings it's been fine, a bit of a swell at times, but nothing to make me feel in the slightest unwell.

On Oriana in October 2004 it was hideous, especially in the middle of the night when we fell into "a hole" - according to the Captain. I have never been as ill.

Been across it and back three times in the last two years. Each time its been calm. The first year on the Independance was a bit wobbly on the ship though it didnt make people ill whilst on the second and third trips on Azura and Ventura the weather and sea was the same but we felt nothing at all. Whether this means those ships are more stable I m not sure.

Crossed a few times now from April - August and it is unpredictable really. We've had terrible crossing both ways to The Canaries on Oriana when we weren't allowed on deck, some crossings which have been a bit bumpy and on others we didn't even know we were at sea

I was on Azura A108 in April going out to be honest I can't remember it being bad, but it was cloudy and miserable (like the majority of the cruise) and coming back it was fine and sunny, but cold. The day before crossing BOB though was horrendous - the bit from Gibraltar and then around Portugal - not waves just the swell:eek: I've never felt seasick before (despite my name) and bought some presciption strength tablets from the reception. They cured the seasickness but knocked me out - I was asleep in Brodies for hours - so embarrassing - head back, mouth open:o

Almost forgot to add BOB in July 2005 was fab, sunny and hot both ways.

The BOB's notorious reputation for bad weather isn't always deserved IMO. As others have noted, it can be flat calm or wild and windy just like anywhere else. Take the necessary medication and take your chances ;)

Just got offs Ventura this morning and the crossing was very rough, couldn't stop in Breast because of it. Was like being on roller coaster. Was really worried before we went, but now we've done it, it wouldn't put me off.

Thanks so much for your replies.........looks like it can be an interesting part of the cruise.........dolphin watching while rollercoaster riding :D

Don't like the sound of 'the hole' or the Captain saying its the worst sea he's experienced :eek: .........but then at times it can behave itself with not much more than a ripple !!

I had to laugh at the image you painted SeaSeaGill, how funny ....little driblets trickling down your chin too, I bet ;)

................Just a couple more questions to help us make the final decision, please ??

I've heard its the swell that gets people sick more than it being wavy, so wondered if any one ship could handle that better than another.....like a big ship rather than a smaller one ???

Also, is it just the middle of the BoB that its bad or all around the coastal areas too ??.........the cruise we are looking at goes from Southampton to La Corunna and then along the Spanish and French coasts, so pretty much in the BoB for the entire cruise, I think.

We're also looking at the Southampton to Southern Spain/Morocco cruise, I'm wondering if we should go for that one but would prefer to stay with a bigger boat if possible.

Cheers again for all your help.

WATB

Early January this year - Arcadia starts out on her World Voyage - second day out of Southampton, wind strength Force11/gusting Force12, 14 metre seas.

Barry

Hi Barry, 14 metre waves, hell no !!! :eek: How did Arcadia cope with that !! Was everything flying all over the place ???

just to confirm what most people have been saying. personly been across there 10 times now. only once, has it been at all bad, last november on aurora. really heavy swells. force 8 winds. actually experienced much worse, leaving athens port, for tunisia--- same trip. 80 knot wind off the land, and force 11. really, really rough. but it does not happen very often.:)

Honestly, there's no point worrying or predicting 'what if'. It might be rough or it might be smooth - there's no way of predicting. So if you worry about motion sickness take the necessary medication with you and don't hesitate to use it. If it's calm then you've won the lottery.

Thanks so much for your replies.........looks like it can be an interesting part of the cruise.........dolphin watching while rollercoaster riding :D

Don't like the sound of 'the hole' or the Captain saying its the worst sea he's experienced :eek: .........but then at times it can behave itself with not much more than a ripple !!

I had to laugh at the image you painted SeaSeaGill, how funny ....little driblets trickling down your chin too, I bet ;)

................Just a couple more questions to help us make the final decision, please ??

I've heard its the swell that gets people sick more than it being wavy, so wondered if any one ship could handle that better than another.....like a big ship rather than a smaller one ???

Also, is it just the middle of the BoB that its bad or all around the coastal areas too ??.........the cruise we are looking at goes from Southampton to La Corunna and then along the Spanish and French coasts, so pretty much in the BoB for the entire cruise, I think.

We're also looking at the Southampton to Southern Spain/Morocco cruise, I'm wondering if we should go for that one but would prefer to stay with a bigger boat if possible.

Cheers again for all your help.

WATB

Last October, our Ventura TA was fine and we had no problems in BoB, however, Azura should have followed us exactly a week later and was delayed in Southampton due to really bad weather in the BoB, and missed its first stop in Madeira, so in a way, that indicates that they won't sail if it is forecast to be too uncomfortable.

I get ill crossing the Channel on a big ferry, but never been ill yet on a cruise ship so I do think the size makes a big difference. I saw a programme on the monster ship Oasis and they mentioned that it was hardly affected by motion due to its size and width, so on that note, I'm sticking to the big ships. :)

Out and back On Oriana last month OK both ways in fact it was so calm coming back you could have done it in a rowing boat, but 3 years ago on our first cruise going out to Madeira it was quite rough, from people we've spoken to I don't think there's a bad or good time to do it, can be rough in summer or calm in winter.

I was on Azura A108 in April going out to be honest I can't remember it being bad, but it was cloudy and miserable (like the majority of the cruise) and coming back it was fine and sunny, but cold. The day before crossing BOB though was horrendous - the bit from Gibraltar and then around Portugal - not waves just the swell:eek: I've never felt seasick before (despite my name) and bought some presciption strength tablets from the reception. They cured the seasickness but knocked me out - I was asleep in Brodies for hours - so embarrassing - head back, mouth open:o

Almost forgot to add BOB in July 2005 was fab, sunny and hot both ways.

I did that after taking Stugeron. Really zonked out in the theatre but the lady next to me woke me up snoring. Decided then to do without and found out that I didn't need them anyway.

went on venturer summer 2009 to med from Soouthampton & return.

Outward journey like a mill pond and very sunny.

return journey it was choppy but you would not notice it on ventura. So ditto azura i suspect. Still sunbathing all the way back across the bay

Choppy seas make great photos and videos.

We avoid March and October as they are the worst for high winds.. but we have been bounced about in the Biscay in May.. so you really cant tell.

The worst crossing is the ships designed for the Caribean as they are flat bottomed.. Oriana and Aurora were designed for the Biscay.

The BoB can be calm or rough in any month of the year. Ive been on ships - Oriana and Aurora included in Force 9/10 gales and could not get up from bed! Entertainment has been cancelled, sick-bags everywhere and even the crew sick!

I have to say its a bit like childbirth - at the time you wonder why on earth you put yourself through it and vow to fly in future! Then sea becomes calm, you feel better, the sun shines and you enjoy the cruise - throwing up for an hour or two fades into memory and you come back and book another cruise!

Archived