NO HC accessible rooms avalible in Sept?

Missiowa

I booked a oceanview grand suite on the Valor in September. They carnival website shows that it is a HC room but when I called today, they just said its not. There is still a 8" step into the bathroom. My husband is wheelchair bound and cannot lift his legs that far. I emailed special needs today and also called them. They said there are no HC rooms on this ship for a family of 4 except for inside cabins. We do not want a inside room. Been there, done that. Want at least a oceanview/balcony. What is a girl to do?? Still haven't heard back from special needs. Has anyone else experienced this problem? I can't imagine they don't have any rooms.

I booked a oceanview grand suite on the Valor in September. They carnival website shows that it is a HC room but when I called today, they just said its not. There is still a 8" step into the bathroom. My husband is wheelchair bound and cannot lift his legs that far. I emailed special needs today and also called them. They said there are no HC rooms on this ship for a family of 4 except for inside cabins. We do not want a inside room. Been there, done that. Want at least a oceanview/balcony. What is a girl to do?? Still haven't heard back from special needs. Has anyone else experienced this problem? I can't imagine they don't have any rooms.

Frankly, that doesn't surprise me at all. Given that there are very few HC cabins on any ship, the fact that outside cabins generally are in high demand, both HC and non-HC, the fact that you want an HC cabin for 4!..

trying to book an HC cabin for 4, just 4 months from the time of the cruise is a crap-shoot at best. And you lost.

It's not that "they don't have any rooms"...they DO have HC rooms, inside cabins, that you don't want. Next time -- especially when you want an HC cabin for a family of 4, book WAY early...up to a year early -- and be more flexible. Cabins for families of 4 aren't all that common, either, and you have two "restrictions" you're imposing -- cabin for 4 that also is HC.

Good luck!

Frankly, that doesn't surprise me at all. Given that there are very few HC cabins on any ship, the fact that outside cabins generally are in high demand, both HC and non-HC, the fact that you want an HC cabin for 4!..

trying to book an HC cabin for 4, just 4 months from the time of the cruise is a crap-shoot at best. And you lost.

It's not that "they don't have any rooms"...they DO have HC rooms, inside cabins, that you don't want. Next time -- especially when you want an HC cabin for a family of 4, book WAY early...up to a year early -- and be more flexible. Cabins for families of 4 aren't all that common, either, and you have two "restrictions" you're imposing -- cabin for 4 that also is HC.

Good luck!

I booked in the 1st of March. My problem, is if you look at the website, my room shows as a Handicapped room. I had no problem with that. I was just told yesterday that it actually isn't. The website is wrong. I am also surprised they don't offer any HC suites or balcony rooms. The disabled should be treated just like everyone else and have options. Not just inside rooms. Also, there are families with disabled members, making us a family of 4. Why are all the rooms for 2 or 3 people.

I didn't expect to be attached here. Kindness matters People!

None of the websites accurately list all cabins available, and few of them really list the HC cabins available. You have to call the cruise line and speak to the special needs department to really find out what is available.

The "small print" on the website (and in their ads) will suggest that the pictures are "representative", not "actual".

I always call and talk to a live person when booking something like HC accommodations, whether it be on a cruise ship, or hotel, or airline, or wherever. And often I'll call again, talk to a different representative, just to be sure. If the facilities aren't accessible (and how that is defined will differ from person to person -- and yes, I do use a wheelchair for mobility) I can't go.

Are we harsh? Probably. I just don't leave such things to chance, or leave open the opportunity for error -- I check, check again, and sometimes yet again. It sounds like you didn't do that..just took the information on the website and went with it. Bad decision.

Yes, it would be wonderful if they had large cabins in all "classes" that were HC accessible. The cruise industry is a business -- if they can't sell cabins, they're losing money. Not that many cruisers..and not that many handicapped cruisers, choose the "high end" cabins, as (I'm sure you know) they are quite costly. Carnival DOES have balcony cabins on some ships that are handicap-accessible - -I know, I've stayed in them. I can't speak specifically about the Valor, though. But again, sounds like they have handicap accessible cabins still available .. just not any more than insides available at the time you actually CALLED them and asked. I hope it works out better for you next time.

I second everything that Uppitycats has said. I'm truly sorry that this has happened to you, however as someone who uses a wheelchair I book rooms on cruises about a year in advance just so I can get a cabin, let alone a cabin that I really want. In a perfect world all of the cabins on a cruise ship would be accessible and we could all get any room that was available, but it just doesn't work that way. If you truly need the room for four people, take one of the inside cabins. You'll save some money and you can still have a good time. Then next time call the cruiseline and speak to special needs directly and book further out so that you can get the cabin type you really want/need. Good luck.

First I would call back and check on some things about the room you have already selected. I've never seen an eight inch step into a cabin bathroom. Four inches is about the most and some at 2 inches or so. If you have booked a suite I would also check on the availability of a shower and the step height if any into that. Some suites come with tub/shower combinations rather than the shower that is more common in "lower" grade cabins. I would also ask about the availability of a shower chair. Also is the toilet at a reasonable height. Yes, I measure such things. Next I would price an inside for the kids (if they are old enough) and an accessible OV or balcony for you and your husband. Many (not all) lines do not show their accessible cabins on the booking site to prevent the able bodied from booking them. Ask to speak with their special needs department. It does not surprise me that there is only limited availability as close as you are to the sail date.

You will find that RCCL has accessible cabins in all categories. But you still have to book way in advance. Wait until the final payment is do and try to get an accessible room room then. Many people cancel just before final payment. Good luck.

My husband is also a full time wheelchair user and we now do mini suites and book at least a year in advance. In fact, we now have bookings throught August 2012. All our future bookings are on Princess. We work with a travel agent who really knows accessibility and she does a great job for us in not only securing the wheelchair accessible cabins but seems to always secure the best price. I agree with Missiowa that there should be more accessible cabins and a wider range of choices than what we have now. The newer ships are getting better but I would urge everyone to send an actual snail mail letter following a cruise to the CEO of whatever line you sailed on. Praise them for the accessibility features and provide one or two (don't send too many or make them too vague) concrete suggestions on an area that could be improved. The organizations that represent the hospitality industry including cruise ships, hotels, restaurants, theme parks, are always lobbying for less accessibility (e.g. fewer wheelchair accessible hotel rooms, fewer accessible cruise ship cabins, fewer disability parking spaces, fewer accessible theater seats, etc) claiming they aren't used. And we all know the challenges we have securing these accessible features.

Missiowa, I hope you can work out better arrangements or find another cruise line that has the type of cabin you want. Since the cabin was listed as accessible, raise a stink. Write a letter to the CEO and copy it to the U.S. Dept of Justice and send the letters by certified mail. Don't give up.

Maggie

Sorry if we seem rude but this lack of space also doesn't surprise me. I have to book a year in advance to get a HC cabin. We are lucky to get a HC cabin nevermind if it's inside.

HC cabins are very few, add to that you want 4 pax in one room and it makes it even more difficult. I'm surprised they still have an inside HC available for 4.

I've learned the hard way.

Missiowa,

I'm sorry if the general response has been a bit harsh but unfortunately those are the breaks of cruising when you can only use a tiny percentage of the cabins. We are a family of 3 so I somewhat feel your pain for how hard it is. When you next book I recommend you try one of Royal Caribbean's Freedom class ships, specifically Junior Suite 1328 which officially sleeps 6 with the normal bed(s), a sofabed and a little curtained room holding bunk beds. Good luck trying to resolve your Carnival cruise!

At least you found out before you saw the problem in person.

Can you share the room number(s) of this type of cabin?

Is there any chance you make it work with one of the available interior HC cabins and a nearby exterior? I could see it working for someone who could transfer out of a chair and walk a few level steps. How wide is his wheelchair vs. the door to a standard exterior cabin?

Had a similar circumstance onboard the Diamond. We took the cabin because it was all that was available and boy were we surprised. The cabin was an inside/mini suite with a wet bar/living room with T.V. and a bedroom with T.V. It had a lovely foyer, tons of closet space and the bathroom was huge.

I prefer a Veranda but this was such a lovely cabin, it's now become our favorite.

Sure we have to leave our cabin to get that ocean breeze but we never felt cramped or claustrophic.

DH had lots of room for his wheelchair and our Service Dog.

I was prepared to be disappointed, boy did my attitude change.

Remember, to give yourself lots of time to book those Veranda Cabins, especially if you need a HC one.

Archived