New Military Policy as of 03.16.05

Legend

Do you have to ask for the discount when you originaly book the cruise? I leave in 17 days, so I'll try for the discount next time.

I don't think so. We made final payment last week and leave in 2 months, they still gave us the discount. Man, I'd hate to be a Carnival rep on the phones today, LOL. :D

Yep...I sure am:D. I'm gonna call Kevin next week and find out.

TXRoo - Yes, generally when you turn in your "clearing papers" and get the discharge orders the ID is supposed to be taken.

Liv after you talk to Kevin can you post the verdict:) Sure would be nice to get the discount ( more drinky's:D :D )

Liv, I just talked to Kevin and he said it was not applicable to group rates. :mad:

OH Man....that blows. I could cancel and go through CCL but don't want to risk losing my balcony:mad: I'm writin' Uncle Bob..Grrr.... for the VV it was $1,800 for the group rate and I wonder how much the discount would be?

Gingee - Sadly I don't think so.

I don't think so. We made final payment last week and leave in 2 months, they still gave us the discount. Man, I'd hate to be a Carnival rep on the phones today, LOL. :D

I called carnival a few minutes ago - The PVP stated there were no military discounts for this sailing - He also stated they almost never have them for Cat 11 & 12.

Liv, I just talked to Kevin and he said it was not applicable to group rates. :mad:

well humm that su,,, errrrr I mean stinks:( With the price I got from CCL before deciding to go w/ the group I saved approx 115.00pp, going with the military discount we'd save 200pp each, grrrrr They should at least give us the difference between the 2 dont' cha think :D

Just got off the phone with Carnival...Told me nothing has changed..Nothing unless your retired or active ????

call back and speak with someone else. the rep at Carnival told me that she had just gotten "the email" today...so if you get someone who hasn't bothered to check, they'll be misinformed. plus, if you call back, chances are you'll get someone else who may know what the deal is. KEEP TRYING..."it's the squeaky wheel that gets the grease".

well humm that su,,, errrrr I mean stinks:( With the price I got from CCL before deciding to go w/ the group I saved approx 115.00pp, going with the military discount we'd save 200pp each, grrrrr They should at least give us the difference between the 2 dont' cha think :D

Oh just say it........IT SUCKS:mad: $400 smackers would cover a few days as far as the bar tab goes.

MI - That could very well be true....BUT....the few times I've called CCL directly and from all of the posts I've read on CC, it's seems that "the right hand doesn't know what the left hand is doing" is SOP.:rolleyes:

I talked with my PVP this morning and she related that it did not apply to our upcoming cruise. She did say that she would flag our names as we would be eligible in the future. I would think that a copy of your DD214 would be the proper ID.

Anyone starting to think that the availability of a military discount is as mysterious as the workings of the upgrade fairy. Some get it, some don't and nobody really knows why. Even with the memo posted above, there seems to be some discrepancy on whether there are only so many rooms available, whether or not it is available on all sailings, how much the discount is and what category it applies to. I received a discount on my upcoming cruise $100/pp (DH is retired), but on another cruise I tried to book they told me it wasn't available, but there is never an explanation as to why.

Just an FYI - since someone mentioned it earlier I want to add about not copying your ID card. If you are active or reserve they do request a copy of your ID card. I copy the card - blacken out all but the last four numbers of the social security number - as they don't need it and I would hate for it to get into the wrong hands - then I enlarge it so that when I fax it they can tell it is an ID card and they can read the information.

Also - I'm very surprised about the poster who got 2 cabins when their father is retired and the poster hasn't served. Retired and honarable discharge are only suppose to get 1 cabin I thought ?? Consider yourself very lucky if that is the case - maybe the agent you worked with wasn't aware of the one cabin rule - Everything that I've read indicates that Active Duty are the only ones to get the family plan. If I read this incorrectly please let me know.

From OP - Veterans and retired personnel are permitted to book ONE cabin and they must travel in that cabin.

I think you are eligble for the discounts in the off season or when they are trying to fill up a date that doesn't seem to be filling up.

LadyT, did they tell you when you booked that you were getting a promotional rate? It seems I have heard others say that PVPs told them that before when they didn't want to give the lower rate. I would call back and speak to someone else and ask them.

I called carnival a few minutes ago - The PVP stated there were no military discounts for this sailing - He also stated they almost never have them for Cat 11 & 12.

I got a discount today for my cat 11 on the Conquest 1/1/06. $400.

TxRoo you are right DD214s are worth alot more than $400. I just thought after 31 years it was not worth much anymore. I'm very happy to be wrong.

Wisefamily4 Make the call it could save you $400.

I was the one that posted about you military ID. I was told to fax a copy of the ID or DD214. When I was discharged in 1974 they took my green active ID and issued a red inactive ID which I still have. Unforunately the picture on that ID looks nothing like me now LOL.:eek:

It's nice to see all the men and women who serve or have served our country are being shown some recogition and thank you from Carnival.

Great job Carnival and thanks to all the men and women who are serving our country and have done so in the past!

Not only have we booked 2 cabins at the discounted (-$400) rate, but my PVP told me we could get an additional two cabins at a different discounted rate (-$360).

When I called the TA to get the discount, he put me on hold and called Carnival. He came back seconds later and said, "yes, that cruise qualifies, so I can give you the discount."

The Carnival PVP said it was for "family and friends" traveling with a military person. But, our TA said it would be for immediate family only (children or parents of military person), but when my mom said her sister may be traveling with the group as well, the TA said, "well, we could probably get it for that cabin, too."

No one has asked any of us for any ID, but again ... the TA is also the insurance company my Dad has had since he was a Midshipman, so they know all about his service, already.

I guess I should count myself lucky. Didn't know this would be such a can of worms ... glad some of you are getting the discounts!

--Heidi

I LOVE THIS BOARD!!! I called today and got a refund of $120 on our 1A guarantee cabin (3 day cruise). My hubby qualifies(sp) with the "Honorable Discharge" change. Thank you Legend for posting this info. The way I look at it, the savings now pays for my parking, my tips and my gas. The cheaper I can cruise the more times I can go.

Archived