Ft Lauderdale where to stay

DragonMouse

I need a place for the night and some "logistics". Right now I'm frusterated with how much the plane tickets are costing and I don't want to spend more than I really have to. I don't think I'm going to see a price drop either...doesn't matter I've purchased them so I've just got to deal with it.

1. What hotel should we stay in?

2. Are there any that offer free shuttles from the airport to the port? We are coming in one day early...I hate the stress of hoping the plane will be on time.

3. Do any of these hotels have shuttles to get you to perhaps "markets" or resturants nearby?

We're booked on the Oasis for Thanksgiving. I'm starting to regret this but...it's booked so I'm done for...I'm going to try to be happy about it.:(

My first advice to you is to start flying Southwest.

The reason your plane tickets are so high is because Thanksgiving is the highest travel weekend of the year. I would suggest rebooking your cruise to get away from Thanksgiving travel if you can change your flights without penalities and get the time off. Most likely, though, the cost of the cruise will be a bit higher because cruises around Thanksgiving are usually more discounted because people avoid traveling (and cruising) that time of the year.

Otherwise...There's a laundry list of hotels to choose from with airport shuttles, cruise port shuttle, breakfast, etc., etc. What time and airport will you arrive?

Ok...I'll hit BW and Holiday Inn...see what I can get there.

Oh my "Taxi" I thought that would be like $100 or more.

Do you have to "reserve" a Taxi or will they be there when you get off? Other than Disney World I don't recall ever taking a "taxi" but we've cruised out of home (Galveston)...we've never needed this kind of "logistics" before. SIGH. I started reading the 79 pages of the above link and now I'm more nervous than ever.:eek:

I know it's all going to be OK once we've done it for the first time...I just can't mentally picture everything coming together right now. DEEEEPPPP Breath....whoooosh.

Relax...Your anxiety and fears are unfounded because Ft Lauderdale/Port Everglades is the easiest and most compact airport/cruise port in the world.

In my opinion, free shuttles are a non-issue when staying in Fort Lauderdale. Book a hotel in the downtown area and just hop in a taxi. The Airport, hotel, and Port will all be very close together. Even if I had a free shuttle, I would take a taxi anyway. With a shuttle, you have schedules, waiting, mutiple stops, waiting for others to load and unload their luggage. This is especially true on the morning when you go to the ship. You don't want to wait 20 min in the hot sun with a mob of other people, when you can just hop in a taxi for less than $15.

I don't know why everyone doesn't use priceline for FLL precruise hotels. Choose the downtown zone and 4* hotels, and you are almost certain to get the Renaissance and you may get a great price. The price may be comparable to some of the cheap motels in the area. A great location just 1 mile from the port, plenty of restaurants within walking distance, and you can take the water taxi from there.

I have to agree about the shuttles. We stayed at the Renaissance and just had the front desk call to have a taxi pick us up at 10:30. It was there right on time and we were at the port in a few minutes. Meanwhile, other cruisers were all jockeying for position to get on the shuttle which in this case cost more than a taxi ($6 pp). Hope you enjoy your cruise!

Well also.....this must be considered........If youre budget is such that you are counting the few extra $$$......just the first night and if just Taxi rides at $20 are alot for you... It's not too late to reconsider whether you can really afford this vacation?

Nope I can handle $20...When I was trying to decide between the two Ft Lauderdale and Port Canaval. The "Freedom" had shuttles (which I was told was the cheapest route) for a little more than $100 a piece. That would have been $300 for the ride (that's what Royal PVP estimated). WOW :eek:...I understand many just rent a car and pay the parking.

If Ft Lauderdale was that much...Whew...just something to be prepared for....I've never taken a "taxi" from the airport or TO the airport before. I was thinking it was going to be more than $100 per person because it was a taxi. The only taxi I've ever taken on my "own" was between hotels at Disney World.

My first advice to you is to start flying Southwest.

The reason your plane tickets are so high is because Thanksgiving is the highest travel weekend of the year. I would suggest rebooking your cruise to get away from Thanksgiving travel if you can change your flights without penalities and get the time off. Most likely, though, the cost of the cruise will be a bit higher because cruises around Thanksgiving are usually more discounted because people avoid traveling (and cruising) that time of the year.

Otherwise...There's a laundry list of hotels to choose from with airport shuttles, cruise port shuttle, breakfast, etc., etc. What time and airport will you arrive?

I totally totally LOVE Southwest and I fly them as often as possible...believe it or not for this booking Southwest was $900 more (bad Southwest...I still love you but...WOW). The Thanksgiving week is the only one we can go for the next couple of years because we're booked for Alaska next year. Waaayyyy too soon my "baby's" gonna be out of high school. We'll be doing more "off season" stuff then...I both look forward to it :)...and am saddened by it :(.

Well also.....this must be considered........If youre budget is such that you are counting the few extra $$$......just the first night and if just Taxi rides at $20 are alot for you... It's not too late to reconsider whether you can really afford this vacation?

Isn't this just a tad rude?:( I don't think it's anybody's business to question someone else with being on a budget.

This is so great. I'm a little less panicky about "taxi's" now. It blows my mind how in some cities people use taxi's almost daily...

Good thing to know about staying out of the Airport. Hmmm...I was thinking we "might" like to go to the beach or get some good seafood somewhere. I know NOTHING about Ft Lauderdale. I "really" want to avoid renting a car because we'll ONLY be there one evening. We'll probably get there about 2-3 o'clock. I figure that should be enough time to check out a beach and get chow then turn in for the night. I like to get to the boat early which on Carnival if you got there about 10-10:30 you'd be pretty much first in line. Whatever hotel it is...breakfast I really don't care much about since I'm about to start my 7 day food fest.

Riding in a cab is not something you should stress out about. Given a hotel at any reasonable distance from the airport and port, your cab fares will almost certainly be a fraction of one percent of your total vacation cost. A large majority of Ft. Lauderdale taxi drivers are safe, reliable and courteous. Most people enjoy their stayover in Ft. Lauderdale before a cruise. There is no reason why yours couldn't be a highlight of your vacation.

Isn't this just a tad rude?:( I don't think it's anybody's business to question someone else with being on a budget.

Nah...not at all. It was a rhetorical question to put things in perspective.

I thought you calling the poster out in an effort to insight mob anger towards him was rude, though.

Nah...not at all. It was a rhetorical question to put things in perspective.

I thought you calling the poster out in an effort to insight mob anger towards him was rude, though.

Nah, it was just a rhetorical question to put things in perspective.:D

There is NOTHING wrong with being on a budget or trying to save a little money.

There is NOTHING wrong with being on a budget or trying to save a little money.

Hey Dawg,

It's Denic enad Rick. When are you cruising? We are looking for a hotel (for December) on 17th street within walking distance to a grocery store. Any suggestions?

Hey Dawg,

It's Denic enad Rick. When are you cruising? We are looking for a hotel (for December) on 17th street within walking distance to a grocery store. Any suggestions?

Embassy has everything ya need within a block, grocery store, liquor store, 1/2 mile at the most to the water taxi restaurants & fast food. Free cook to order breakfast & managers reception in the evening to boot. Our favorite 17th street hotel!

BonVoyage

Dawna

Hey Dawg,

Hi guys!

We are cruising in April (1st) on the new Allure!We usually take a taxi to the Publix & hit Total wines as well. Dawn suggested Embassy (suites?) which I might look into for our upcoming sail. We have been away from RCL for our past three cruises but coming back "big time" on Allure!

Hope to cross paths again,

Dawg & fam

We are not all made of money, even on a budget, we all deserve some leisure time.

That comment was extremely uncalled for. There is absolutely nothing wrong with wanting to be frugal. Why spend money when it can be saved in certain instances, especially on vacation where prices are usually tripled for tourists?? I know its a different subject, but that's why people smuggle alcohol on cruises. Who wants to spend $5 or more on a single drink when they can sneak it on for double the price and get a heck of a lot more for less?

Good luck to everyone planning their next cruises. I hope everyone has a fun and safe trip even spending as little as possible to make it spectacular! :)

• 2 months later...

I think it's fine to try to budget and ask questions on good prices, etc. That's what these boards are great for, having other cruisers help you out. A lot of people have plenty of money, but still like to get a good deal. But I wouldn't start the smuggling discussion, that could get real ugly.

Archived