Ft Lauderdale where to stay

DragonMouse

I need a place for the night and some "logistics". Right now I'm frusterated with how much the plane tickets are costing and I don't want to spend more than I really have to. I don't think I'm going to see a price drop either...doesn't matter I've purchased them so I've just got to deal with it.

1. What hotel should we stay in?

2. Are there any that offer free shuttles from the airport to the port? We are coming in one day early...I hate the stress of hoping the plane will be on time.

3. Do any of these hotels have shuttles to get you to perhaps "markets" or resturants nearby?

We're booked on the Oasis for Thanksgiving. I'm starting to regret this but...it's booked so I'm done for...I'm going to try to be happy about it.:(

I need a place for the night and some "logistics". Right now I'm frusterated with how much the plane tickets are costing and I don't want to spend more than I really have to. I don't think I'm going to see a price drop either...doesn't matter I've purchased them so I've just got to deal with it.

2. Are there any that offer free shuttles from the airport to the port? We are coming in one day early...I hate the stress of hoping the plane will be on time.

3. Do any of these hotels have shuttles to get you to perhaps "markets" or resturants nearby?

We're booked on the Oasis for Thanksgiving. I'm starting to regret this but...it's booked so I'm done for...I'm going to try to be happy about it.:(

Many though not all major hotel properties offer shuttle service between the airport and the hotel, and the hotel and pier. Check out Marriott (Summerfield Suites, Fairfield Inn) Hilton (Garden Hilton) or Hyatt Place properties in Dania Beach or La Quinta in Hollywood which are only three or four miles from the airport and a shopping center that has a number of relatively inexpensive restaurants.

We have had good luck using Priceline but the most recent time, we got the Ft. Lauderdale Marriott North for $65 (plus tax) a night in late December, but it is 14 miles from the airport and does not offer the shuttle service or complimentary breakfast

When we are in Ft. Lauderdale we stay at the Holiday Inn Express Air/Seaport..they have a free shuttle from the airport to the hotel & from the hotel to the port..there are shops & restraurants across the street and the hotel also has menu's for area restraurants that deliver...they also have a nice free breakfast in the morning..as well as free internet...

we stayed at the bw next to a shopping strip mall...shuttle to the ship and also will pick you up at the airport...nice location..a breakfast and restaurants to close by...we are going back there our next trip

Taxi

Ok...I'll hit BW and Holiday Inn...see what I can get there.

Oh my "Taxi" I thought that would be like $100 or more.

Do you have to "reserve" a Taxi or will they be there when you get off? Other than Disney World I don't recall ever taking a "taxi" but we've cruised out of home (Galveston)...we've never needed this kind of "logistics" before. SIGH. I started reading the 79 pages of the above link and now I'm more nervous than ever.:eek:

I know it's all going to be OK once we've done it for the first time...I just can't mentally picture everything coming together right now. DEEEEPPPP Breath....whoooosh.

Where are you flying from? RCI may pay for your inbound HtL stay if your flying from the west coast to the east coast.

Ok...I'll hit BW and Holiday Inn...see what I can get there.

Oh my "Taxi" I thought that would be like $100 or more.

Do you have to "reserve" a Taxi or will they be there when you get off? Other than Disney World I don't recall ever taking a "taxi" but we've cruised out of home (Galveston)...we've never needed this kind of "logistics" before. SIGH. I started reading the 79 pages of the above link and now I'm more nervous than ever.:eek:

I know it's all going to be OK once we've done it for the first time...I just can't mentally picture everything coming together right now. DEEEEPPPP Breath....whoooosh.

If you are flying out of Ft. Lauderdale the airport is very close to the port so the taxi fare will be pretty reasonable and nowhere close to $100. There will be plenty of taxis at the cruise terminal to accommodate you. If you are flying out of Miami, you might want to purchase transfers from the cruiseline.:)

I didn't even think of mentioning that...we are flying in to and out of Ft Lauderdale from Texas.

Then a taxi is definitely your best and least expensive option. You are only minutes away from Fort Lauderdale/Hollywood International Airport.:)

We just got REALLY lucky. We got a room at the Westin Diplomat Resort on Hotwire.com for 88 bucks!! It's normally around 300 I think! But there is a Hampton that alot of people use.....I think its .21 miles from Port Everglades and on hotels.com.....it only been around 90 bucks.

Good luck and enjoy your cruise! This will be my first! So excited!!

I have stayed at the Hyatt at Pier 66 and have stayed at the Renaissance at Eisenhower and SE 17th Street Causaway. The Embassy Suites are also nearby as is the Holiday Express on SE 17th ST. Causeway. The Hilton on the Intercoastal Waterway is also nearby. Most of what I have mentioned is very close to Port Everglades.

We did a lot of looking around and pricing hotels. We needed 2 rooms so we were really looking for something other than a ritzy hotel for $250 per night...we booked the Rennaisance in ft lauderdale, minutes from the pier. It's a great hotel and is costing around $150 per room (taxs included) and a taxi should cost more then (Im hoping) $10 one way (plus we'll prob need 2 taxis for the 4 of us). Other hotels had a free shuttle, but the cost was arpund $50 more per room- it didnt make sense. A taxi should cost anywhere near $100...dont fret it. Priceline is a wonderful way to go if you arent picky on where they put you.

enjoy!!

I have stayed at the Hyatt at Pier 66 and have stayed at the Renaissance at Eisenhower and SE 17th Street Causaway. The Embassy Suites are also nearby as is the Holiday Express on SE 17th ST. Causeway. The Hilton on the Intercoastal Waterway is also nearby. Most of what I have mentioned is very close to Port Everglades.

Cant find a decent price on the Hyatt 66.... *pout*

I wanted to stay there!

A taxi from the port to Ft Lauderdale airport will be $15 bucks --$20

with a tip. It's the cheapest way for the three of you.

We always stay at the Embassy Suites on 17th street. It's a $15 taxi ride

to the hotel and they have a shuttle to the port (maybe for a fee

I don't know because we always opt for a taxi) There's a happy hour

at night to get the party started and a full made to order breakfast

in the morning. Many restaurants in walking distance and a grocery

store and liquor store across the street. Call me cheap but we always

buy a case of coke to take on the ship with us.

Stop stressing! You're going on a wonderful ship and you're going

to have a great time. :)

CruiseDiva-

We are also booked at the Renaissance and I called concerning getting to the hotel from the airport and to the ship from the hotel. I was told they have a shuttle at the hotel for $6 per person (to the ship), no need for ressies and that you need a taxi to get from the airport to the hotel, $10-15. One of my kids mentioned that we need to keep in mind, a cup of coffee, eats, etc are astronomical vs another hotel. I asked why, she said, 'because they can get away with it, it's the Renaissance, not Holiday Inn or whatever." Think about it, it makes sense (she used to work for Marriott in marketing and is familiar with all their properties).

Another person mentioned that the summerfield suites is a marriott brand, it is not-it is part of hyatt. Perhaps they meant springhill suites...

many hotels will have free or paid shuttles to the pier...and airport. the hotels along 17th street may or may not have free shuttles anyplace, but a taxi isn't that much, and the places on 17th street (renaissance, embassy suites, holiday inn express, hilton, hyatt ) are all closer to "stuff" like restaurants, shopping etc.

If you won't have a vehicle to get around, you probably want to stick with something NOT at the airport as your food options will be limited...

........If you won't have a vehicle to get around, you probably want to stick with something NOT at the airport as your food options will be limited...

This is so great. I'm a little less panicky about "taxi's" now. It blows my mind how in some cities people use taxi's almost daily...

Good thing to know about staying out of the Airport. Hmmm...I was thinking we "might" like to go to the beach or get some good seafood somewhere. I know NOTHING about Ft Lauderdale. I "really" want to avoid renting a car because we'll ONLY be there one evening. We'll probably get there about 2-3 o'clock. I figure that should be enough time to check out a beach and get chow then turn in for the night. I like to get to the boat early which on Carnival if you got there about 10-10:30 you'd be pretty much first in line. Whatever hotel it is...breakfast I really don't care much about since I'm about to start my 7 day food fest.

This is so great. I'm a little less panicky about "taxi's" now. It blows my mind how in some cities people use taxi's almost daily...

Good thing to know about staying out of the Airport. Hmmm...I was thinking we "might" like to go to the beach or get some good seafood somewhere. I know NOTHING about Ft Lauderdale. I "really" want to avoid renting a car because we'll ONLY be there one evening. We'll probably get there about 2-3 o'clock. I figure that should be enough time to check out a beach and get chow then turn in for the night. I like to get to the boat early which on Carnival if you got there about 10-10:30 you'd be pretty much first in line. Whatever hotel it is...breakfast I really don't care much about since I'm about to start my 7 day food fest.

You might as well stay AT the beach then. This is what I would do, and I know Fort Lauderdale really well...You can get great seafood at Coconuts, which is walking distance to many beach hotels. It might be a bit chilly outside at night, so you might like indoor dining. Bahia Mar Hotel is not fancy but is fine by most standards and usually has the best rates by the beach ($166 for Nov 18th). It's $20-25 cab fare from the airport and $20 to the port from these hotels. You won't need a car. You are coming during season, so hotel rates will be high. Other moderate hotels in that area are Sheraton, Best Western Oceanside(these 2 are a bit more of a walk to stuff), Courtyard or Marriott Beachplace (the last 2 are closest walk to stuff). If you stay at Embassy Suites or in that area (SE 17th St), you won't be at the beach but you can take the 40 bus or trolley bus there, and you can get seafood across the street at Kelly's or Southport Raw Bar, or about 8 blocks away at 15th St. Fisheries. This is really close to the port and just a few miles from the airport. There are actually no hotels right at the airport this may have been implied in another post) but there are a lot of hotels closeby, though not much else in that area.

Well Ft Lauderdale is a nice city..............BEAUTIFUL too

I would make an excursion out of your brief stay..It will be cheaper than any excursions you purchase while on the ship! ....Get there as early as you can. Stay in an inexspensive hotel as close to the pier as you can. Taxis are cheap! Rent a car for the day....travel around Lauderdale and visit the sights and the great beaches..............Believe me.....Ft Lauderdale will be as cool and pretty, if not better, than any Island your going to visit...and you will not have natives trying to get money out of you at every turn!!:eek: The fine folk who live in Lauderdale are friendly! Plus your $$$'s are being spent in your own nation...(just a side point)......... Please dont discount Ft Lauderdale it could be the best part of your vacation!!!!! Broaden your horizon!:)

I "really" want to avoid renting a car because we'll ONLY be there one evening.

If you want to keep costs down, you really should reconsider this. By renting a car, not only do you eliminate the need for taxis, but you're hotel possibilities increase considerably. You can now look at staying at a less-expensive hotel that doesn't have any shuttle service or is near the port area, can go eat wherever you want that night, can go to the beach or shop... Really, it just gives you a lot more options. And the numbers stack up too: on Thrifty, you can book a compact car using the Orlando Magicard code (004M001010) for $47 all-in. Add a few bucks for gas, and you're probably at around $60-65 at most. You save at least 2 taxi rides at say $15 each= $30. The extra $30-35 you can easily make up on a less-expensive hotel - we stayed at a La Quinta in the Cypress Creek area, but there are many other options you can look at.

Well also.....this must be considered........If youre budget is such that you are counting the few extra $$$......just the first night and if just Taxi rides at $20 are alot for you... It's not too late to reconsider whether you can really afford this vacation?

2. Are there any that offer free shuttles from the airport to the port? :(

In my opinion, free shuttles are a non-issue when staying in Fort Lauderdale. Book a hotel in the downtown area and just hop in a taxi. The Airport, hotel, and Port will all be very close together. Even if I had a free shuttle, I would take a taxi anyway. With a shuttle, you have schedules, waiting, mutiple stops, waiting for others to load and unload their luggage. This is especially true on the morning when you go to the ship. You don't want to wait 20 min in the hot sun with a mob of other people, when you can just hop in a taxi for less than $15.

I don't know why everyone doesn't use priceline for FLL precruise hotels. Choose the downtown zone and 4* hotels, and you are almost certain to get the Renaissance and you may get a great price. The price may be comparable to some of the cheap motels in the area. A great location just 1 mile from the port, plenty of restaurants within walking distance, and you can take the water taxi from there.

Archived