Istanbul tourist tram

Can anyone tell me how long it might take to get from where the ship is docked to the Topkapi Palace in Sultanahmet by Tram?

How often does the tram run?

Are there long waits for it at the dock?

Thanks.

The exact amount of time will depend on exactly where your ship is docked. But we got off our ship, hit the nearest ATM, found the closest JETON kiosk (for tokens) at the tram stop and got on. No line, but a short wait for the next tram. Not sure of the exact schedule but there seemed to always be one going by..........

It took us 8 minutes from the time we got on to the historic district.

Clean, safe, fast, easy and cheap..........

Tip: buy all your tokens at once (for return trip or others) but keep them seperate from other "coins". I tried to pay for something with one and got funny looks from vendor....... I just smiled and shrugged my shoulders.....

Can anyone tell me how long it might take to get from where the ship is docked to the Topkapi Palace in Sultanahmet by Tram? The tram ride itself is about 10 minutes. Takes a few minutes to walk to the tram stop from the port -- maybe 15 minutes but could be shorter or longer depending on where your ship is docked along the pier.

How often does the tram run? Very frequently. I never waited more than a few minutes for one.

Are there long waits for it at the dock? Not when I used it last; but I wasn't one of the first off the ship having been to Istanbul several times before.

Thanks.

See my responses above.

• 2 months later...

Tip: buy all your tokens at once (for return trip or others) but keep them seperate from other "coins". I tried to pay for something with one and got funny looks from vendor....... I just smiled and shrugged my shoulders.....

Can you expand a bit on the tokens for me??

How do you know how many to buy?

What sort of cost are they?

And if you didn't know, how would you know had to buy tokens!!

Is it less complicated than it sounds??? I'm not big on adventures, just a nice easy day out...

Is it less complicated than it sounds??? I'm not big on adventures, just a nice easy day out...

It's not complicated. My 22 year old daughter is living in Istanbul this summer and she takes it all the time. And she doesn't exactly have the world's best sense of direction either. :rolleyes:

This website gives a good tutorial that might set your mind at ease. http://www.turkeytravelplanner.com/go/Istanbul/Transport/IstanbulTram.html

You only need one token per one-way ride on the tram. So, if you want to ride the tram into the historic area and then back to the ship later, you will need 2 tokens per person.

You will know that you need them because there is a sort of turnstile or gate to go through to get to the little tram platform in the middle of the road. You cannot get through without putting in a token.

The tokens are called "jetons" and at some stations you can purchase them from an automated machine ride beside the stop. At other stations they are sold at a small kiosk. You will need Turkish lira to purchase them. The cost is 1,75 Turkish lira per jeton.

http://www.turkeytravelplanner.com/go/Istanbul/Transport/fares.html

Just got back fm Istanbul...It really depends on where the ship is docked, for u to get a tram; where we were docked we could see the tram, but not the kiosk. I know there's one in Sultanhammet--u'll see it. I think it's 1.75 Turkish lira. As far as an ATM, I didn't notice one--but wasn't looking. The tram (there are 2) go around, so u don't have to worry--u'll end up where u started. It's very easy--just complicated and scary when u don't have any idea....

When you come out of the port you will see ATMs on both sides of the street (with the tracks in the middle). Get your cash, go to the kiosk on the tracks and get your tokens. It was very easy and there will be others from the ship who have done it before doing it too.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi, I was planning to visit Istanbul on my own. Is Istanbul safe enough for a woman to visit on her own during the day? I booked a tour but I can see that all the attractions are in the same area plus I like to do things at my own pace. It's just that I've read many comments about being stared at and that some men approach you too easily. And that it is best not to make eye contact. So, Tour or on my own? Thanks

Hi, I was planning to visit Istanbul on my own. Is Istanbul safe enough for a woman to visit on her own during the day? I booked a tour but I can see that all the attractions are in the same area plus I like to do things at my own pace. It's just that I've read many comments about being stared at and that some men approach you too easily. And that it is best not to make eye contact. So, Tour or on my own? Thanks

I've visited Istanbul 4 times now, and 3 of them have been on my own. I had absolutely no problem there. (I'm a woman, late 40s).

It's just like any other big city. Residents of Manhattan, for example, don't walk down the street smiling and making eye contact with everyone. Nor do most people in Istanbul. But I never had any unpleasant experience with anyone (male or female) in Istanbul. In fact, I've had several nice conversations that I remember fondly with men, both older and younger.

This is not unique to women travelers, but you also need to learn to ignore the hawkers. They are very good at starting conversations (either just outside their stores, or sometimes roaming around the main tourist sites), but do not take the bait. Smile a bit, to show them you know what they're up to, but keep walking and don't respond.

Can anyone tell me how long it might take to get from where the ship is docked to the Topkapi Palace in Sultanahmet by Tram?

How often does the tram run?

Are there long waits for it at the dock?

Thanks.

Four of went on a cruise on the QV in November last year. I had spent a week in Istanbul on a another trip so I new the lay of the land. When you get off the ship you can walk a short distance out to the street and get the tram (you need cash to put in the machine to pay for your ticket). There is a scean on the tram that tells you the stops. If you get of at the stop for the Blue Mosque its a short walk to the Topkapi Palace, The Basilica Cistern and Hagia Sophia (please note they only take Turkish cash to get into Hagia Sophia). My friends were amazed by how much money they saved by not going on the ships tour. Here is a link to our blog if you skim through it I am sure you find some interesting information. I hope you enjoy your cruise as much as we enjoyed ours.

Sandra

http://twoscotstravel.blogspot.com/

I've visited Istanbul 4 times now, and 3 of them have been on my own. I had absolutely no problem there. (I'm a woman, late 40s).

It's just like any other big city. Residents of Manhattan, for example, don't walk down the street smiling and making eye contact with everyone. Nor do most people in Istanbul. But I never had any unpleasant experience with anyone (male or female) in Istanbul. In fact, I've had several nice conversations that I remember fondly with men, both older and younger.

This is not unique to women travelers, but you also need to learn to ignore the hawkers. They are very good at starting conversations (either just outside their stores, or sometimes roaming around the main tourist sites), but do not take the bait. Smile a bit, to show them you know what they're up to, but keep walking and don't respond.

Thanks, I'll have to read more on the Port Boards. This is my first cruise, a gift to myself for my 50th. Actually, I was planning to walk from port across the bridge to main attractions I want to visit but was a little worried! Because of my insecurities, I booked a tour that goes on over 2 half days. It leaves only at 1PM on the first day. For me this seems like a waste of my time and money! I also booked the Turkish Dinner/Entertainment for that night at 8:00PM Tours are with Celebrity Cruise in October. Thanks again for the input.

The j is not pronounced as in jump but if you have ever heard the phrase "je t'aime" it is that j. Hope you are not more confused now. Istanbul is very easy to do using the tram. Where we docked we were between two tram stops so you could turn left or right on exiting the dock. Do check your change when buying jetons or coffees and keep your money safe as you would do anywhere. The trams can be very crowded. There seemed to be official tourist guides/helpers in the main tourist area in Istanbul who would answer any questions or give directions. This was near the Blue Mosque etc.

Archived