Hat or Scarf for visiting Mosques?

Where exactly will you be visiting mosques? The requirements vary not only by country but by town and even neighborhood.

In Turkey, you don't need to cover unless you observe that others are doing so (particularly in Istanbul) or you are told to do so. There is a big national debate on wearing the headscarf in Turkey.....suffice to say that some do it and some do not and it will depend on how conservative the mosque/neighborhood is. In the touristy areas of Istanbul probably not necessary.

If covering is required, I would wear a scarf, I haven't seen any women wearing hats.

During our visit to Istanbul last week, we came prepared with cloth bags for carrying our shoes, and a sheer scarf for my DW. When we arrived at the Blue Mosque, my wife put on her scarf. Our guide was surprised and told us that tourists didn't have to cover up, but DW said she didn't mind showing proper respect.

When we had to take off our shoes, he was equally surprised that we had brought our own bags with us.

Later, inside the mosque, he confided that he was deeply moved that we had made that effort to be respectful. I guess it's more of a rarity than we realized.

Not completely on topic regarding mosques, but for anyone who is interested, here is a nice summary of the ongoing controversy about wearing the headscarf in Turkey:

http://headscarf-controversy-in-turkey.co.tv/

The first time I visited, I had a female guide (who is now also a friend) and she actually told us not to cover when going into most mosques. It is not required and -- to many Turkish women -- it is a symbol of a freedom they do not want to lose. So they are quite passionate about covering only when it is really required to do so. The majority of Turks take the ideals esposed by Ataturk very much to heart and are proud of being a secular state.

There have also been a couple of good NY Times articles on the subject in the past couple of years if you want to look them up for more info.

When we were in Istanbul visiting the blue mosque, I was given a large blue napkin but was later told it was probably to cover my shoulders even tho I had sleeves to my elbows ????? I had originally thought it was to cover my head.....

While in Egypt I took a scarf with me.....our guide also was moved as I was the only one to cover when entering the mosque.

We have been to a few mosques in Turkey. The Eyup mosque in Istanbul was the only one where a scarf was required. A beautiful area to explore by the way. I usually wear a scarf around my neck while traveling and put it on when we go to mosques.

To be respectful it's best to wear a scarf. I've never entered a mosque in Turkey without my head covered in one (a hat isn't appropriate and men will remove theirs as they enter). While the debate on wearing the scarf or not continues it's just good manners to wear one when entering a mosque and certainly my most secular Turkish friends would never consider entering a mosque without one but would prefer to leave Turkey if wearing a scarf at work became mandatory!

To be respectful it's best to wear a scarf. I've never entered a mosque in Turkey without my head covered in one (a hat isn't appropriate and men will remove theirs as they enter). While the debate on wearing the scarf or not continues it's just good manners to wear one when entering a mosque and certainly my most secular Turkish friends would never consider entering a mosque without one but would prefer to leave Turkey if wearing a scarf at work became mandatory!

Excellent advice.

Keith

Interesting, as the woman I had for a guide in Istanbul (born and raised in Izmir) was adamant that I should not wear a scarf at the several mosques we visited.

I suppose the best thing is to take into consideration a) what others are doing, and b) what your guide tells you.

Usually if there are rules, the attendant at the mosque will be quick to let you know. Certainly there was no arguing in Aleppo about donning a full-body robe and head covering before entering the Umayyad mosque there!

Interesting, as the woman I had for a guide in Istanbul (born and raised in Izmir) was adamant that I should not wear a scarf at the several mosques we visited.

Your guide may have been firmly on one side of the debate. One of the ladies I worked with in Turkey explained that depending on how the knot was tied in the scarf it gave a message that you were a member or an affiliate of certain parties. It's really a complex issue and with AK Party in control of the country for some time now it's always going to be an ongoing issue. I remember well the election they came to power and they won many votes through the village people and the candidates being able to speak at the local mosques. The scarf issue is so complex that women who want to wear a scarf but cannot due to regulations will wear wigs to hide their hair, I saw several lawyers at the courts wearing wigs to circumvent the regulations. It's a heated debate and people are extrememly passionate.

The gestures of disapproval in Turkey can be really subtle at mosques. Maybe you hear a sucking noise (like sucking your lips through your teeth), that's disaproval. Coupled with an ear pulling, to ward off the evil eye sometimes. Often the attendants may not voice dismay in ways we as Westerners can detect easily.

Anyway, it's a lovely country and Istanbul is a great city to wander around. There is so much to see and wee trips down side roads can often be very fruitful.

Archived